Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Updating Valkyr's Ripline

ImWithDerp

Much has been said already about how outdated Ripline feels (on top of being on a frame that feels generally outdated). IMO 2 things that would help it a lot are 1. better control of whether we pull ourselves or (try to) pull an enemy, 2. making it more worthwhile to pull enemies.

Suggestion for 1: Tapping always targets the environment and pulls us toward the hook. When targeting the environment, the hook punches through enemies in its path and Valkyr will damage them as she is pulled past them. Holding always targets an enemy and attempts to pull them toward us. If an enemy cannot be pulled, the hook instead wrenches out of them, dealing increased (scaling?) damage. *EDIT: or instead of tap/hold, as Gurpgork suggested below Valkyr could pull enemies when she is grounded and pull herself when she is airborne

Suggestion for 2: When the hook contacts an enemy, Ripline's energy cost is refunded and Valkyr drains further energy and/or health from the enemy.

Improving Ripline's startup time would also help it feel snappier.

I love the idea of updating Ripline instead of just ditching it. That said, tap/holds can be a bit clunky. I'd prefer something more intuitive, like changing the way it works if you're airborne vs. on the ground, for example. 

Are you grounded? It pulls enemies to you. Are you in the air? It pulls you to enemies. 

Also something to keep the enemies from ragdolling wildly when you pull them to you would be great. 

11 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

I love the idea of updating Ripline instead of just ditching it. That said, tap/holds can be a bit clunky. I'd prefer something more intuitive, like changing the way it works if you're airborne vs. on the ground, for example. 

Are you grounded? It pulls enemies to you. Are you in the air? It pulls you to enemies. 

Also something to keep the enemies from ragdolling wildly when you pull them to you would be great. 

That would be neat! Another alternative to tap/hold could be if you are aiming or not

13 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

I cant believe I never thought of this. Different Air/ground behavior would be a great solution.

23 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

Genius! Only minor edit, when you are in the air it should let you pull yourself wherever you want, gotta keep the spiderwoman feature if we are keeping ripline imo

And make it pull atleast 3 to 4 enemies to you instead of just 1, it kills me that it only can pull one to you

On 2021-09-15 at 5:26 AM, Gurpgork said:

This also solves the problem of trying to use it to maintain or get some aerial momentum and not going anywhere (which is Ripline's main mobility benefit), so this seems like an incredibly graceful change!

It feels like ripline was intented to be more of rope than hookshot as far as traveling goes. Like she pulls rope, pulling herself towards but instead of maintained momentum like hookshot you just get force of initial pull.

I personally like idea to hold ability key to enter ash-like mode marking like 5 foes and pull them to melee range, and tap ability key shortly to hook and pull yourself to travel. Perhaps pull yourself towards foe even.

I dont like much idea of pulling yourself only when in air as I do aften use it from ground to travel. Remember how during Jackal fight you hook him with parazon and pull yourself to next room ? That is how I use ripline and I love it

Archived