Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... I can trade, but a shouldn't because my account could be locked... nice...

Gepsal

As a free to play player, my only plat income is from BP or mods I don't use, I usually go to Maroo's Bazar, and enjoy my time selling those things I don't need.

But what if a thief comes and buy from me?, someone who owns "bad plat", what if he is banned and the plat is deducted from my account and locked?

Do I really have to pay for the plat I didn't stole or buy from illegal places to continue playing with this feeling that is gonna happen again... am I a bad person for trading normally in the game?... Do I have to record everything to avoid this?...

I can't really understand why this is a thing, why someone who didn't do anything wrong have to pay the consequences...

My account is ok, btw, but this particular problem makes me want to avoid this game...

Could someone clarify?...

Yeah, that's been DE's policy since forever.

They yank the "bad plat" from the game, and that includes anyone's account it ended up on. 

If it puts your account in the negative you get automatically locked out until you buy into the positive. 

It's not fair. I don't like it, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself. 

Keep buffer plat, don't spend enough to put yourself potentially into the negative if recent plat you used is taken out. Give it a week or two before you spend that extra plat on top of your buffer. I know it sucks, but if you really want to be safe, you've gotta protect yourself. 

Don't make trades where it sounds too good to be true -- it probably is. 

Don't trade with people with long strings of characters or other obviously throwaway names. 

Just a few things off the top of my head. 

Having played for roughly 6 years and traded hundreds if not thousands of times I have never had any issue with it. 

Worrying about people with "bad plat" is extremely unproductive.

If you get bad plat from a player then contact customer service to get it figured out. It is not a big deal.

And for future, trade on warframe.market instead of maroo's bazaar (or do both) it will generally result in quicker sales and help you hone in on the correct pricing for your goods.

As long you don't spend said plat in the market, you should be good, just keep the plat in your account for a couple weeks and if it gets removed, nothing will happen you asside from the lost plat.

You only get a locked account if when they remove said plat, you don't have it available because you bought goodies (skins, syandanas, bundles,...)

If the account is locked, contact support and either pay for the stuff you aquired or ask support to remove said skins and you'll be back to playing the game. Do note that certain things like formas can't be removed from your account, leaving you with the "buying plat" as the only way to cover the polarizations in your weapons and warframes.

Such situations are incredibly rare and can be mitigated if you spot red flags, like known black market users trading with you, you might say "but i don't know any users like that", which is ok, but some users anounce in discord servers that they have had banned accounts before due to some shady business, so don't go and seek said player to do trades.

Honestly as long as you're smart about it. You know, the whole "If it's to good to be true..." type of saying. Then you'll be fine. 

But I also have a buffer so to speak of plat. So even if I trade for 500p as an example and it gets removed in the rare case of "bad plat", then my account is still fine.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Just don't try to sell some riven for 3k plat because for such a large amount people could be more desperate.

^^This. I think the chances of getting plat that players defaulted on or cheated/fake platinum in a trade is more of a risk for ridiculous amounts like in this situation.

Also, as far as I know, you can appeal penalties by submitting requests at http://support.warframe.com/. I think if you ask they should reimburse you, if they don't reimburse your plat they should at least reimburse the items/rivens you traded.

I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not! 🤔

37 minutes ago, Gepsal said:

But what if a thief comes and buy from me?, someone who owns "bad plat", what if he is banned and the plat is deducted from my account and locked?

It is such a small problem/chance that I wouldn’t suggest worrying about it. Yes, if you receive bad plat your account can be locked, but only if you go negative - if you do go negative you can appeal it with support.

If you are trading for small amounts of plat there really is nothing to worry about - anything over 1k is pushing it, I am a fan of trades for 500 or less. If you are worried about it: avoid trading for more platinum than you currently own; if you have to trade for more than you own, leave it a couple of days before spending any. I like to leave a 200plat buffer personally.

As others have suggested, avoid deals that seem like scams and trading with people with (long) jumbled character names.

You are more likely to be abducted by aliens than run into bad plat.

Steer clear low MR accounts trying to buy HIGH priced rivens and one should never have to worry, it may sound snobbish but low MR accounts are the ones that you have the largest chance of getting scammed by as it takes little to no effort to get them up to basic trade levels in a couple of hours.

22 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I mean this just seems untrue tho

I don't know, I have yet to ever see one person post that they were locked out due to "bad plat" its always "I know a guy who..."

I am not saying it doesn't happen I am just saying that the chances are far lower than people make it out.

I worked in the fraud industry for a few years.

Basically, the innocent people ALWAYS pay for teh fraudsters, that's how our society works.

The money is stolen and the rest of us pay, if not directly, then through increased prices to cover losses, etc.

Bad actors exist, that's just reality.

DE has no choice here but to remove the plat when a CC chargeback occurs, they have to roll back the entire transaction, which would include any plat, so the books don't looked cooked to an auditor, etc.

If they then reimburse the 'innocent' party, taking a hit basically for giving away plat, that would become a huge issue with bad actors gaming that system.

There is imply no way for DE to truly know if the 'innocent' party had anything to do with the fraud.

No, your 'word' as a 'good person' is just not enough, it's too easy to make up identities.

I really wish the bad actors did not exist either, but these CC chargeback types of events do have consequences that can impact truly innocent players.

Now, as many have pointed out here, there are several ways one can protect ones account, just trade smart, don't make a trade that's too good to be true, etc. and if you make a trade you are concerned about then just sit on the Plat for a while - this is exactly what banks do with 'suspect' money, they hold it until they are sure it's 'legit'.

I know reality bites, but this is not DE's issue, it's a big problem in our societies, globally.

I wouldn't worry about bad plat. There is such a slim chance that you'll come across it that it's not worth the effort or time thinking about it. I've easily had 100k+ plat move through my account and not once have I been stuck with bad plat. 

If you are really worried you can do what others in the thread have suggested and hold plat for a couple weeks before spending, document each trade, avoid high plat trades with low MR accounts or just keep keep a bank of plat in your account and never go below that amount. 

While ive been trading since its inception, I've never lost plat to this system. That said, if I did, and my account was locked, I'd be pretty pissed, so I definitely get where you're coming from. They should probably lock bought plat to an account until it's cleared... that protects the general population from something dumb like this.

1 hour ago, Skaleek said:

They should probably lock bought plat to an account until it's cleared... that protects the general population from something dumb like this.

That's... actually a really good suggestion. If unconfirmed plat is untradeable, it can still be used for market items with the caveat that if a chargeback occurs, whatever items were bought would be taken away.

2 hours ago, Skaleek said:

They should probably lock bought plat to an account until it's cleared... that protects the general population from something dumb like this.

That's been suggested so many times. 

It's probably the best or easiest solution but it would end up screwing over people that legitimately want to buy plat for trades. It would create a "punish everyone for the mistakes of a few" situation. 

DE has the ability to track and remove bad plat even if it has been traded. This leads me to believe they should have the ability to remove anything purchased with that bad plat. They are pretty much punishing the victims and making to make a buck. IMO it's shady as hell because it's within their powers to protect traders that have done nothing wrong.

Archived