Jump to content

Bright n happy Vs dark n edgy


Recommended Posts

I seem to remember the game having dark and dirty textures and colours. It's all a bit too colourful and pretty to be 'Warframe' now. 

Compare Loki to Yarelli. Old Corpus ships to new. Old MOAs to new MOAs. 

Dunno. Feels a bit too cheerful plastic Barbie rather than blood'n'guts that Warframe used to feel like. I want more gritty sweaty dirty horrible carnage to it. 

What is the target market now? 8 year old girls? That can't be possible, I thought this an 18+ game!

Probably wrong as usual. XD 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Na, Its tonally pretty similar to how it was, its just the effects and stuff are better and more pronounced.

The game did used to be more straight laced, i remember the devs saying they'd never be putting emotes in. That was pre-xbox though i think.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

Compare Loki to Yarelli. Old Corpus ships to new. Old MOAs to new MOAs. 

Gunna disagree on the Warframes. Besides Yareli being a magical girl, her aesthetic uses a muted color scheme and techno-organic body suit just like all the old Warframes

Corpus are definitely more brightly colored now. They used to be dull metal that just came out of a machine press (corporate penny pinchers), now they are bright and noisy like a package on a store shelf (corporate advertising moguls)

In contrast, the Grineer really aren't different at all. Kahl from the New War looks right at home in classic 2014 Warframe. So DE have done a great job keeping the Grineer consistent

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

I seem to remember the game having dark and dirty textures and colours. It's all a bit too colourful and pretty to be 'Warframe' now. 

Compare Loki to Yarelli. Old Corpus ships to new. Old MOAs to new MOAs. 

Dunno. Feels a bit too cheerful plastic Barbie rather than blood'n'guts that Warframe used to feel like. I want more gritty sweaty dirty horrible carnage to it. 

What is the target market now? 8 year old girls? That can't be possible, I thought this an 18+ game!

Probably wrong as usual. XD 

All games must evolve or expand. There are still many old Corpus tile sets in the star chart. You’d rather to have only the original ones or original ones plus new ones? Do you prefer to have only the warframes and designs you like or plus new designs that attract new player base?? Use your brain!!

Edited by George_PPS
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Corpus fits better with the bright, near Gibsonesque neon and holographic use compared to the old Imperial March echoing aestethics.

The only part of Yareli that I dont particularly like his her over bubbly "persona" and the fish. The look of her actual skin can be made to look so damn grim and dark with the right colors. With the right setup she could fill in as one of the Nekron "deities" in WH40k without trouble. I mean, I truely hate that she is so damn weak overall because I would love to play her simply because of her look. I love my heavy-metal-death-machine-corpse-bride.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the earliest events was Darvo being hunted by Stalker for discounting his weapons on the Market. Dethcube is listed as "a badass cube of 'deth'". Lech Kril quotes Pulp Fiction at you, and makes hammer puns. The Sergeant calls you a fashion victim. The game has always had dumb funny stuff, it's just that the game is bigger and more cohesive these days, so it's easier to see.

I'd attribute a lot of the increased colour and more obvious visual differences to DE designing enemies better. Corpus enemies all look wildly different and stand out for two reasons:

A) tileset reworks usually have a unique set of enemy design themes. Having that variety is good and makes enemies less generic.

B) so that it's easier to identify different enemy units. MOAs having unique heads/guns makes it very easy to tell which sort of MOA you're looking at without having to wait for them to do something.

As for Corpus ships, I'm just gonna say that the old ship designs are out of date. They're boring empty spaces. The new ships actually have stuff in them, and give you an idea of what Corpus culture is like.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warframe takes inspiration from many different design tropes and cultures, including ones that don't consider bright colours to be for '8-year old girls'. Also, many sci-fi games and series would be for little girls by your definition.

In my opinion the aesthetics are varied without being incoherent and honestly, if a game becomes too 'dark' and 'edgy', I can't take it seriously anymore. Being 'dark' and 'brutal' is one of the least reliable indicators of maturity. And it makes things look incredibly bland and boring and blend into each other.

This post also kinda sounds like the people who call comic books 'visual novels' (despite that being a completely different genre) and sci-fi 'futuristic storytelling', because they are scared that they might get teased for liking something 'childish'.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

What is the target market now? 8 year old girls? That can't be possible, I thought this an 18+ game!

Buddy this says so much about you, and it's not damning or anything but it ain't great.  I promise that if you let yourself like things that are colorful and fun you won't be any less of an adult nor will your gender change.  The full breadth of the light spectrum exists for everyone's enjoyment. <3

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Opinions on Yareli aside, the reworked corpus ship tileset has a certain bright and colorful vibe to it.

In nature brightly colored animals are often dangerous, the Juno elite crewmen used to make mincemeat out of zephyrs, garudas and mesas for a year until their explosive supras were taken away, now they are colorful marshmellow dispensers 

Edited by ReddyDisco
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The real world is dark and edgy enough for me, thanks, I love the bright colors and the particle effects.

If anyone thinks that enjoying whimsy makes them 'an 8 y/o girl', that's sounds like testosterone talking to me.

Whimsy is for everyone, every age.

In my experience, when you forget how to have 'dumb fun' in video games, you have lost the plot.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sinekanter said:

In my opinion the aesthetics are varied without being incoherent and honestly, if a game becomes too 'dark' and 'edgy', I can't take it seriously anymore. Being 'dark' and 'brutal' is one of the least reliable indicators of maturity. And it makes things look incredibly bland and boring and blend into each other.

And the depressing, dark, grim and brutal parts dont even have to be blatantly shoved in your face if the setting is done properly. The story and surrounding lore of WF is brutal, grim, dark and depressing enough without any lack of color added. The frames themselves are already #*!%ed up morbid machines of destruction no matter what they look like really. And this rings true for the corpus aswell no matter how much neon they use.

Funny thing is, when I think of what the OP said and looking at my own roster, my Loki is less dark and "edgy" than my Yareli. My Loki rocks a green/yellow/brazen Knave setup with no particularly dark, grim or edgy skills in his kit, at the same time my Yareli is running around in metallic grey scale coloration and gloom in her kit, while also being able to exsanguinate people with aquablades or suffocate them in freezing cold bubbles of water. Yep that is definently bright and happy right there!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 19 Minuten schrieb SneakyErvin:

And the depressing, dark, grim and brutal parts dont even have to be blatantly shoved in your face if the setting is done properly. The story and surrounding lore of WF is brutal, grim, dark and depressing enough without any lack of color added. The frames themselves are already #*!%ed up morbid machines of destruction no matter what they look like really. And this rings true for the corpus aswell no matter how much neon they use.

Funny thing is, when I think of what the OP said and looking at my own roster, my Loki is less dark and "edgy" than my Yareli. My Loki rocks a green/yellow/brazen Knave setup with no particularly dark, grim or edgy skills in his kit, at the same time my Yareli is running around in metallic grey scale coloration and gloom in her kit, while also being able to exsanguinate people with aquablades or suffocate them in freezing cold bubbles of water. Yep that is definently bright and happy right there!

Oh, I definitely agree. What I meant (and failed to elaborate on) with 'Being 'dark' and 'brutal' is one of the least reliable indicators of maturity.' is, that 'dark' and 'edgy' can be very mature (and interesting) when done right, but it is by no means a guarantee of maturity and can actually make things look silly.  I like the hidden horrors and small weird details that are put into Warframe's lore and visuals (one of my favorite design details is how Harrow actually looks like he has an open back, fitting his theme of flaggelation). The game just doesn't need to go 100% grimdark with its visuals, it works on its own.

And honestly, I find Yareli with her overly upbeat behavior more unnerving than many other frames. And as you said, with a little creativity you can turn many designs into something terrifying. Or silly. My Inaros looks like a palm tree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sinekanter said:

Oh, I definitely agree. What I meant (and failed to elaborate on) with 'Being 'dark' and 'brutal' is one of the least reliable indicators of maturity.' is, that 'dark' and 'edgy' can be very mature (and interesting) when done right, but it is by no means a guarantee of maturity and can actually make things look silly.  I like the hidden horrors and small weird details that are put into Warframe's lore and visuals (one of my favorite design details is how Harrow actually looks like he has an open back, fitting his theme of flaggelation). The game just doesn't need to go 100% grimdark with its visuals, it works on its own.

And honestly, I find Yareli with her overly upbeat behavior more unnerving than many other frames. And as you said, with a little creativity you can turn many designs into something terrifying. Or silly. My Inaros looks like a palm tree.

Oh yeah indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Corvid said:

Anyone who thinks that "Magical Girl" automatically means "Bright and Happy" has clearly never played Princess: The Hopeful.

Or watched actual MG series, for that matter.

Can I suggest Madoka?

Yareli is one of the most horrifying of the Warframes. Some of them can dance around, do some poses, but those a mostly emotes that we can chose to use. Yareli does a silly dance, makes a peace sights, hugs her Murelina, is all carefee while surrounded by corpses by default.

Thats not one of those "Cutsy, cuddly slice of life" Magical Girl, its a "Oh look how their entrails are scattered, its so funny! Let me pose for a picture!" Psycho Girl that use magic.

Edited by Kaotyke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, (XBOX)General Poke said:

Probably wrong as usual. XD 

you know it 😉 doesn't matter what you say in warframe forums, if you have an opinion, there will be people who believe it's wrong.

 

personally i don't see significant changes. warframe is still not genshin impact. yareli is the worst fanservice character and i pity tennos who *** to her.
however, i won't be surprised if there are changes. DC went with dark n edgy for the longest time, marvel proved them wrong by being bright and colorful. time changes everything, and warframe is 8 years old.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Corvid said:

Anyone who thinks that "Magical Girl" automatically means "Bright and Happy" has clearly never played Princess: The Hopeful.

Or watched actual MG series, for that matter.

Madoka magica, magical girl of the end, magical girl spec ops i think it was called. Etc etc to name some anime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...