Do you have any interest in actually playing Warframe mobile?

Tesseract7777

First, I want to be clear: I think it could have some uses. Basically, with a strong enough smartphone that can support it, you would theoretically be able to do maintenance things that you wouldn't be able to do with just the app (in fact for smartphones that support it it will basically make the app obsolete). 

But what about playing ACTUAL missions? Real WF. Core Warframe, on a mobile device, on a smartphone specifically? 

Do you have ANY interest at all in doing so? 

Or would you only imagine yourself using it to do things the app cannot do? 

I personally have tried to play Warframe on Switch, and while it is useable enough on a big screen while docked, it is quite frustrating (entirely in my personal opinion and experience) to try to play undocked on such a small screen. Then toss in the fact a smartphone will have an even smaller screen, and no special physical controls (and will probably rely on touchscreen unlike a switch), can you really imagine yourself actually doing any real missions on your mobile device? 

I am just curious how others feel about this. I think it could have value for maintenance reasons, but I am interested in whether others have any real interest in actually playing a game with the kind of controls Warframe has on a smartphone? And if so, why and in what context? 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

Personally? Not in the slightest. MAYBE if I wanted to like... Check what Baro had on him while at work or something, but for actual gameplay? I'd rather eat my own shoes.

Exactly how I feel. 

Like... I train myself to look for the good in things, so I see this push for Warframe mobile as a great way to stealthily upgrade the "mobile app" experience so I can do more "maintencance" stuff like what you mentioned while stuck at work at the desk. But... playing warframe on a tiny touchscreen seems like a nightmare. I think it would be more frustrating than enjoyable. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

Exactly how I feel. 

Like... I train myself to look for the good in things, so I see this push for Warframe mobile as a great way to stealthily upgrade the "mobile app" experience so I can do more "maintencance" stuff like what you mentioned while stuck at work at the desk. But... playing warframe on a tiny touchscreen seems like a nightmare. I think it would be more frustrating than enjoyable. 

It does seem very, very, very much a nightmare. Though it would definitely have its benefits, seeing as how Nightwave has been bugged on mobile for god knows how long. I know at least for me, Nora refuses to give me anything on Mobile. So WFMobile will at least let me see what needs to be done, collect daily (if needed), maybe feed Helmy, etc etc. Lot of micromanagement type stuff, half of which can already be done with the current WF App.

• Like 1

If my phone is able to run it well then it is somthing that I'll definitely be looking forward to!

It will definitely be cool to just hop into a solo defense or survival mission while waiting in a waiting room or stuff like that, it will definitely be a great time killer during long waits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harvenger76 said:

If my phone is able to run it well then it is somthing that I'll definitely be looking forward to!

It will definitely be cool to just hop into a solo defense or survival mission while waiting in a waiting room or stuff like that, it will definitely be a great time killer during long waits.

Only downside is I can only IMAGINE how horrible the battery life would be with it. With any luck, they'll find some way to optimize it so it doesn't nuke a battery in 10 minutes.

• Like 4

Just now, Flannoit said:

Only downside is I can only IMAGINE how horrible the battery life would be with it. With any luck, they'll find some way to optimize it so it doesn't nuke a battery in 10 minutes.

Besides performance, battery life is the only thing that worries me and as someone who travels by plane frequently, it does make me wish there was an offline mode.

• Like 3

I have absolutely no intention on playing Warframe on Mobile. I only use my mobile for making calls, saving some notes and some times some photos or emergency google search/map, aside that i have no other uses for it.

I really hate mobile games, they are awful to play due to the small screens and leave my fingers numb.

• Like 5

Wow.

I thought the response would be pretty negative tbh, but not quite this (almost) universally negative.

Like I said I like to see positives and if nothing else I'll be able to do more maintenance stuff while away from a full pc, but it seems most are on the same page, that in a game like WF, doing full missions on mobile just sounds more frustrating than anything else. 

• Like 1

I don't have interest in making it the primary way I play the game, but I do have a lot of interest in playing while traveling or out of town.

But it should be understood that the existing Warframe playerbase isn't likely the target audience. The mobile market is a massive untapped market for DE. Genshin Impact has 10M+ installs on Google Play. PUBG has 500M+. From the numbers found in a quick googling, Fortnite Mobile's revenue hit $1 Billion and had at least 129M installs before it was kicked off everything for Epic's wee little shenanigans. The mobile market is stupid huge. It's #*!%huge. And a high quality free-to-play like Warframe could do incredibly well.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

I don't have interest in making it the primary way I play the game, but I do have a lot of interest in playing while traveling or out of town.

But it should be understood that the existing Warframe playerbase isn't likely the target audience. The mobile market is a massive untapped market for DE. Genshin Impact has 10M+ installs on Google Play. PUBG has 500M+. From the numbers found in a quick googling, Fortnite Mobile's revenue hit $1 Billion and had at least 129M installs before it was kicked off everything for Epic's wee little shenanigans. The mobile market is stupid huge. It's #*!%huge. And a high quality free-to-play like Warframe could do incredibly well.

On a certain level I agree.

But I am concerned about Warframe's controls. Unless they do something different, will those playing on mobile be able to properly keep up on mobility more than anything? Parkour in general is my greatest concern.

And it may be unfounded. I'm not too proud to admit I could be wrong or accept it if I am, but that is what I most think may be hard to properly integrate/achieve or whatever is the best way to put it. 

With how complex mobility controls are, can we really get/keep/reach those casual players that they are looking for a more chill experience on mobile? Will they really play it regularly that way, or will it be too frustrating? Unless they come up with some serious shortcuts for mobile, it sounds very daunting. Like I said I tried Switch undocked and maybe others have had a different experience, but I found it more frustrating and unfun than anything else.

On the one hand I agree that it is a great untapped market and if overall it leads to more development cash we want for thing we love great. But for the current playerbase at least, it sounds like mostly an upgrade to the mobile app, and I am unsure how many others it can attract long term with how complex WF's mobility controls are. But maybe this is armchair chicken littling and I am just being silly. I don't mind being wrong. If I learn I am wrong it just means I learn more. I like to learn things. But I am legitiamtely concerned this is Tencent pushing mobile because they want it for all their games, but that for WF in particular it will have little benefit. But hey, if Tencent is funding it then whatever, if its a wash its a wash. *shrugh*

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

On a certain level I agree.

But I am concerned about Warframe's controls. Unless they do something different, will those playing on mobile be able to properly keep up on mobility more than anything? Parkour in general is my greatest concern.

And it may be unfounded. I'm not too proud to admit I could be wrong or accept it if I am, but that is what I most think may be hard to properly integrate/achieve or whatever is the best way to put it. 

With how complex mobility controls are, can we really get/keep/reach those casual players that they are looking for a more chill experience on mobile? Will they really play it regularly that way, or will it be too frustrating? Unless they come up with some serious shortcuts for mobile, it sounds very daunting. Like I said I tried Switch undocked and maybe others have had a different experience, but I found it more frustrating and unfun than anything else.

On the one hand I agree that it is a great untapped market and if overall it leads to more development cash we want for thing we love great. But for the current playerbase at least, it sounds like mostly an upgrade to the mobile app, and I am unsure how many others it can attract long term with how complex WF's mobility controls are. But maybe this is armchair chicken littling and I am just being silly. I don't mind being wrong. 

Where there's a will, there's a way. The goofy on-screen touch controls seem to have been refined a lot over the years and people seem to be able to make it work. Tens and hundreds of millions of people wouldn't be playing these kinds of mobile games if they weren't able to control them. Plus you can use Bluetooth gamepads and other peripherals. There's no reason you couldn't run Warframe on a tablet and plug in a mouse and keyboard. Heck, you could plug in a mouse and keyboard on your phone if you really wanted to. Sure, it's a small screen for someone used to monitors and TVs, but for a lot of people it's just how they play their games.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Where there's a will, there's a way. The goofy on-screen touch controls seem to have been refined a lot over the years and people seem to be able to make it work. Tens and hundreds of millions of people wouldn't be playing these kinds of mobile games if they weren't able to control them. Plus you can use Bluetooth gamepads and other peripherals. There's no reason you couldn't run Warframe on a tablet and plug in a mouse and keyboard. Heck, you could plug in a mouse and keyboard on your phone if you really wanted to. Sure, it's a small screen for someone used to monitors and TVs, but for a lot of people it's just how they play their games.

I think I see what you are saying. For those who simply have no better option in general, they will make it work. 

Maybe I'm erring because I'm looking at it from just a current customer perspective, as those who already can manage to play warframe on what they already have, they probably wouldn't find much value beyond doing things the mobile app can't.

For those who don't have another way to play besides a smartphone, like you said, where there's a will there's a way. 

If I am understanding you correctly. I don't mean to put words in your mouth. It's been a long day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Basically, with a strong enough smartphone that can support it, you would theoretically be able to do maintenance things that you wouldn't be able to do with just the app

Basically just this, and stuff like semi-afk a Mobile Defense sortie as Wisp. Which is basically what I do with similar games like Genshin, and is a big help if you travel/have a busy day away from home. (I hate playing Genshin on mobile, but it's better than nothing in a pinch.)

And like others have pointed out, not only is it a new market, but it's the most accessible one. More people tend to have smart phones over conventional gaming platforms, and more people tend to keep their phones up to date. Like I get a new phone every 2 years, but my laptop is 7 years old. And because of that, Genshin actually runs quite a bit better on my phone than my PC. (Although my case is an outlier, as I was going to build a PC 6 months ago, but I'm not going to pay for a scalped 3080.)

• Like 1