Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss + Nightwatch Napalm = FPS Killer. Any bandaid solution?

AzureScion

Met this guy earlier. He was using heavily decorated Gauss with Vengeful Trickster Ephemera on his frame, his companion, and his spoiler form. If you are unaware (or just have a beastly PC) the Trickster Ephemera can cause heavy FPS loss on lower-spec computers and so far the reduced teammate particle doesn't seem to do anything to this. 

To add insult to injury, he was using a Napalm Ogris and we were on a Survival Mission on Jupiter with lots of mobs and their particle effects.. We encountered a sister and he just started blasting the hell out of his Ogris with boosted fire rate thanks to Redline. This completely killed my FPS. Earlier I had a stable 40-50 FPS but when I came near him and as soon as the sister came my FPS got dropped all the way to 10-15 and it's friggin unplayable. In the end I just endured it and let him and the other 3 kill the sister while I just wipe the mobs someplace far away.

Any possible quick solution for this? I have most if not all my graphic settings at the lowest option and I obviously have the reduced teammate effect on but this doesn't help even the slightest bit. Quickest braindead way out of this would just be to play exclusively solo (and that's what I normally do, except when I'm about to fight a lich/sister because I want to quicken the progress and maybe share the murmur) but sometimes solo gets boring pretty quick. 

And I know some elitist rich people out there would just barrage me with "gEt bEttEr pC oR dONt pLaY thE gAMe"... yeah no. 

Trickster ephemera causes fps loss, really?

It's like... The least intense Lich ephemera

Since your graphics are at the lowest and I assume your computer isn't overheating then the only thing you can really do is upgrade your PC but you don't want to do that so idk what else except playing solo or with a squad that you're familiar with

1 minute ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Trickster ephemera causes fps loss, really?

It's like... The least intense Lich ephemera

Since your graphics are at the lowest and I assume your computer isn't overheating then the only thing you can really do is upgrade your PC but you don't want to do that so idk what else except playing solo or with a squad that you're familiar with

I also have no idea why the trickster causes the most FPS loss. No other ephemeras cause even a single FPS loss, it's just the trickster. I'm clueless on this as well.

I mean upgrading PC is the long term goal and that much is obvious. Who doesn't like playing in full ultra graphics with 120 FPS? Ultimately I will upgrade at some point but right now I gotta stick with what I have. 

Also not everybody has the luxury of getting a stable and good payment job, me included, so it's gonna take a long long while. And I'm not gonna wait 8 more years before I can play this game again. 

44 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Any possible quick solution for this? I have most if not all my graphic settings at the lowest option and I obviously have the reduced teammate effect on but this doesn't help even the slightest bit.

That is the bandaid here. If not even this is working then there's nothing you can do until you upgrade your hardware.

46 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

And I know some elitist rich people out there would just barrage me with "gEt bEttEr pC oR dONt pLaY thE gAMe"... yeah no. 

It is a valid advice; hardware limitations are a physical red line and the more the game is pushed forward, the more difficult it will be for older/weaker hardware to keep up. Just this year, any PC with a DX10 GPU was cut out of the game.

Pointing it out doesn't make anyone an elitist unless they tell you "Get a 3080 or you're not a real PC gamer".

Yeah... I guess I kinda expected a bit too much. 

Was hoping there would be a manual tweak somewhere that allows me to further reduce graphic settings beyond the in game option. 

But I suppose not many people would know that since most people here plays in the absolute highest setting without much problems anyway.  

4 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Was hoping there would be a manual tweak somewhere that allows me to further reduce graphic settings beyond the in game option. 

The absolute most extreme of 360p gameplay is possible if you lower your resolution to 1280x720 and manually set dynamic resolution to "USER" at 50. This will free up a lot of GPU resources, but you may then hit CPU bottleneck if the GPU is not being pushed hard-enough on top of the game looking like an early PS3 title.

If you go that route, use RTSS to check if you are hitting a CPU bottleneck (CPU usage higher than GPU usage), which is more troublesome than a GPU bottleneck.

Just now, Jarriaga said:

The absolute most extreme of 360p gameplay is possible if you lower your resolution the 1280x720 and manually set dynamic resolution to "USER" at 50. This will free up a lot of GPU resources, but you may then hit CPU bottleneck if the GPU is not being pushed hard-enough on top of the game looking like an early PS3 title.

Ah this is worth a try. I'll give this one a try, cheers!

I don't mind the game looking awkward as long as the performance is fine. Besides it's not that I constantly have graphics problems, it's just when there's a nightwatch napalm Ogris user around.

39 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Ah this is worth a try. I'll give this one a try, cheers!

I don't mind the game looking awkward as long as the performance is fine. Besides it's not that I constantly have graphics problems, it's just when there's a nightwatch napalm Ogris user around.

Explosions reduce your fps like crazy even if those have mediocre textures and no particles. They really need optimize it. And its true if you have a high end computer you dont care

24 minutes ago, Danielw8 said:

Explosions reduce your fps like crazy even if those have mediocre textures and no particles. They really need optimize it. And its true if you have a high end computer you dont care

Sometimes yes but it's mostly just the Napalm Ogris. I had a team with 3 Zarrs, 3 Brammas, Lenz, Trumna, etc. Performance was fine, hovering at about 40-60. Not impressive but very playable for me. Even a regular Ogris is fine, it's just that the flames it leaves behind when it has the mod equipped that hits hard. Not only by the players, sometimes a random Grineer Napalm can do that too if left alive for too long (albeit nowhere close to what a player Napalm can do).

Which makes me wonder if there was a separate setting that is related to this particualr particle effect, since most other particle effects have little to no impact for me.

15 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Sometimes yes but it's mostly just the Napalm Ogris. I had a team with 3 Zarrs, 3 Brammas, Lenz, Trumna, etc. Performance was fine, hovering at about 40-60. Not impressive but very playable for me. Even a regular Ogris is fine, it's just that the flames it leaves behind when it has the mod equipped that hits hard. Not only by the players, sometimes a random Grineer Napalm can do that too if left alive for too long (albeit nowhere close to what a player Napalm can do).

Which makes me wonder if there was a separate setting that is related to this particualr particle effect, since most other particle effects have little to no impact for me.

Is your game in the Classic or Enhanced render?

Get a better computer.

DE are always pushing to make the game better looking, so you won't be able to scrap by forever with an under-spec pc.

If you intend to play warframe for years to come, you might want to organize your life around getting a new pc. And if life gets in the way of such a plan, well, sorry but you're sh...t out of luck.

29 minutes ago, AzureScion said:

Classic... now that you mentioned it, what's the difference between the two?

Enhanced enables DX12 but you can use DX11. It have volumetric lighting, HDR + a bunch of other things.

Classic was the old render for DX9,10,11. Is alot lighter to run. My PC can run on classic at 130fps on max settings. Enhanced it runs at 61fps at max settings...

And my PC is really old:

EVGA GTX750SC 1GB VRAM at 1600x900

Phenom II X4 945 3.1

8GB DDR3

I have a pretty beefy rig with Ryzen 2700X, 32gigs and an AMD Vega 56, but Nightwatch Napalm and similar effects that linger on the ground (like Nezha's Firewalker) can seriously dumpster my FPS when I'm playing on full 4K. Lowering the resolution scale somewhat fixes the FPS issue, but instead I get crazy input lag, similar to when VSync is enabled.

6 hours ago, AzureScion said:

I go from 140 to 80 with kuva bramma just shooting close to me being alone. And you know what im sure its a multishot issue, visuals are like cs 1.6 explosions and i dont use effects, particles or whatever else. I will try later a kuva bramma without ms

9 hours ago, AzureScion said:

If I could afford a console I wouldn't be using a low-spec computer now would I?

Not to be rude, but it looks like worrying about your finances may be a better way to spend your time. Get some $$$, and then you can actually play the game as intended. I was lucky enough to get a series X not long ago, and the upgrade from my one x is rather staggering. Feels like a completely new game. Can’t imagine playing on min specs. Must waste a lot of time loading. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah yeah I'm glad people notices my problem. It's not that I can't run the game without having FPS issues, it's just that the Napalm Ogris is absolutely killing my FPS if spammed like no tomorrow. I think I forgot to make it clear that I do NOT play with the absolute minimum settings, I play on low-medium with a stable 40-60 fps and the game runs very fine without any glaring problem. This old thing can even run higher end games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, etc just fine without many issues. 

Which lead into the question of bandaid solution for the Napalm Ogris effect because I don't think DE will be doing anything to it anytime soon and I can't just tell people to stop spamming Napalm Ogris. I thought there was a separate setting somewhere to completely remove this effect, since lowering the in game option doesn't seem to do anything even when I'm putting it at the lowest setting.

I did some tests earlier with a friend with Napalm Ogris on heavily crowded Survival mission. Him spamming Bramma, Trumna grenades, Zarr, etc didn't impact the FPS at all, but as soon as he clutters the screen with Napalm Ogris, my FPS went down to Oblivion. It's not an FPS issue it's a Napalm Ogris issue.

Archived