Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does RailJack exist? XD

AJAL8000

I like railjack, I liked the crazy madness of the early release too so long as we discount the bugs. Or rather the difficulty that went with running unmodded railjack and having to keep it operational(especially solo was frustrating but fun).

I don't like corpus railjack as much. Mostly because I'm forced to play the "normal missions". Do not misunderstand however. I don't dislike there being "normal missions" in railjack. I'd just like them to be optional with a benefit for opting to do them. In case of the volatile(because someone brought it up and why not use it as an example) it could be a) do the volatile and you can destroy the ship more easily, or b) don't do it and instead you have to take much longer to destroy it as well as give them enough time to call in heavy reinforcements. Making it even harder to get it destroyed in time. Bringing in a real fail state on top: Fail to destroy it in time and it jumps away - escaping. (Note: you should still be able to keep the loot and XP you've collected up to that point, just counts as a failed/uncompleted mission)

Reason the away team bits don't bother me as much in grineer railjack is that they are much smaller and quicker to run, but if the away team missions should become optional(for both corpus and grineer railjack) I'd also like to see the grineer ones, in higher level regions at least, also become somewhat longer and more involved. Within reason of course.

Ultimate dream on my part(and this is just my opinion - not actually demanding anything in here) is still very much each proxima to essentially become "open world" hubs from which you fly to - effectively picking - "the normal missions" but those being optional to railjack. i.e. no star chart for Railjack outside of proxima selection itself. Meanwhile the normal star chart and orbiter should probably stay as they are for those who don't want anything to do with railjack at all I guess. This might need the engine to support doubles(on cpu side anyways) for transforms so as to have a bigger space to accommodate the size the proximas would likely have to be. Also a way to direct and jump the railjack within the proxima I suppose.

I fully expect most players not to want any of this however. So just my pipe dream.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

Ah, I meant the gameplay they actually released. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 Vallis to Railjack concept was passed over for similar reasons as everything else. I don't see any technical reasons they couldn't make that work, since they've made seamless mission transitions work in the rest of Railjack.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say they thought the vallis > rj stuff was actually close to completion, and then they dealt with more bugs and other issues than they expected and it was put on the backburner as that is par for the course for the dev team (unlike some who accuse of them of knowing they were super far away and just making a mockup and being straightup dishonest). but I think they have learned a lesson since then about not showing stuff they aren't 100% sure will soon be ready to ship without breaking. 

hace 14 horas, AJAL8000 dijo:

Well this topic is made a bit of a joke and initially I had planned to put it in the Feedback forums, but on second thought, I think it looks better here. Also, first I thought about putting a huge text, but I think that with basic ideas you understand what I'm going to say.

Before starting I want to clarify that I love all the ideas that RailJack offers us and I think it's great that [DE] tries to innovate with new game modes, but there are serious problems in RailJack that seriously, I want them to be more seen in the community.

Everything that is in RailJack can be in normal missions.

I like how you play with the RailJack, you move in a ship and destroy enemy ships, simple but fun. But then they got missions like RailJack Survival. The idea does not sound so bad, but when you enter you find out that it is a simple survival with objectives that waste your time before properly entering the mission. This could easily just be placed in a "Special" Survival in the normal type of missions and that's it. This is for complicating the life of the player more?

If RailJack is the same as a normal mission, but slower and rewarding than at one point, they are useless. Why does it exist in the first place?

I think RailJack is a game mode for another game.

As I said before, I love the concepts, but I hate how they were applied. RailJack does not seem to work well and it also does not bring out its full potential when the game is about repeating the same mission at least 100 times a week (or day lol). RailJack need to be more efficient.

I feel that RailJack is poorly focused, the missions in RailJack should give better rewards so that going there makes sense, of course many will say that you can get Endo and Credits there, but the truth is, if I want to endo, I go to Sedna on Steel Path. If I want Credits, I go to the Index or do a Profit-Taker Orb in 3 minutes. Why would I want to go to RailJack then? If they wanted to give better rewards, why not buff the rewards of existing missions then?

I think to improve this, it would be better if they improve the rewards so that they make sense with the longer time it takes to do the mission.

RailJack has caused [DE] a lot of problems, both financially and in the time they spend in their own game. Honestly, if the RailJack is never going to stop being just a taxi to the main mission, why don't we just use the Orbiters?

I feel like RailJack shouldn't have existed and it would have been better if [DE] spent all that effort and money on something that was more productive and better for the game. RailJack was more work than profit in my opinion.

What do you think? Obviously I am not saying to remove RailJack, it would be wasting effort, time and money, both from the players and the developers. It's too late. But I would like to know if you think if it actually should have existed in the first place.

Also, it should be clarified that I am not mentioning the amount of problems caused by bugs or how the materials or rewards that come out in those missions seem to take forever to come out. I should mention it, but this goes beyond whether this game mode should even exist.

God create railjack to train the faithful.

1 minute ago, (NSW)Rafa-el said:

God create railjack to train the faithful.

That reminds me, did you know there is a church somewhere in rural Kentucky in America, where people dance around holding poisonous snakes to "prove they are in Gods favor"? They figure they won't get bit or die from a bite as long as they aren't living in sin, it's an arrogant way to show they are "holy", also dangerous and foolish lol. 

It's pretty wild. The world is a loony places sometimes. 

hace 2 minutos, Tesseract7777 dijo:

That reminds me, did you know there is a church somewhere in rural Kentucky in America, where people dance around holding poisonous snakes to "prove they are in Gods favor"? They figure they won't get bit or die from a bite as long as they aren't living in sin, it's an arrogant way to show they are "holy", also dangerous and foolish lol. 

It's pretty wild. The world is a loony places sometimes. 

In my case is a reference to frank herbert’s dune:

God created Arrakis to train the faith.

good books.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

Ah, I meant the gameplay they actually released. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 Vallis to Railjack concept was passed over for similar reasons as everything else. I don't see any technical reasons they couldn't make that work, since they've made seamless mission transitions work in the rest of Railjack.

It's most likely a simple case of it having so little impact on the game that it's been placed on the low priority backburner. When you look at it from a functional perspective, all the transition does is let you skip a single loading screen.

Either that, or it was never planned to make it into the game at all, and purely existed to let them dynamically shift the presentation from the newly revealed Vallis and the newly-revealed Railjack.

yeah at this point railjack only exist because they have made it. 
steve's or not, it was a great idea, because space shooter is an exciting genre.

however it dies somewhere between technological limitation, and trying to please everyone. as we see now, it ends up pleasing no one.
DE most probably won't put anymore effort in it because they already gave humongous effort, and our response is nowhere near what they expect.

39 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Railjack is shown in the New War teasers, so it's definitely not going away for the foreseeable future.

sure. i mean it's already there, so there's no reason for DE to not utilize it here and there.
i imagine it'll be somewhat like granum void. nobody actually plays it. until DE introduced sisters system that requires everyone to play granny void. then everybody plays it just to get their sisters.

i was simply referring to the possibilities of DE doing actual overhaul to the railjack gameplays. it is very likely for rj to just stay this way.

I honestly despise that they made Corpus Railjack literally just reused star chart missions tacked on to mini Railjack missions and tried to call it new content.  A huge portion of the game is the same handful of starchart missions over and over. 

• You can run a a survival 
  • or a survival fissure where it's the same but you pick up an RNG special drop
  • or a Lich survival which is the same but there's a new eximus type enemy and occasionally a new field boss
  • or a Steel Path Survival which is the same but slightly harder with a new field boss that's technically just a reused asset from years ago
  • or a Railjack survival which is still the same exact thing but you have to run a mini Railjack mission before you go in and it takes longer to get out now too
  • or you can run an Arbitration survival which is the same except you get one life and there's a new annoying enemy type. 

It's the same exact survival mission or exterminate, or defense or whatever on repeat and they keep calling it new.

It isn't even a pallet swap.  It's literally the same thing with a sign that just says "new" on it and everyone seems to believe them.  And it takes them absolutely forever to put out despite it being the same thing over and over and over.  At least the Grineer Railjack missions came with slightly new mechanics, or the same individual mechanics in a new order.  It was only really one mission type for the entire content drop but it was at least a new mission type.  Disruption was new content.  Taking Corpus Ship Defense and sticking it in a RJ mission is not new content.

The fact that the Corpus ship defense map is the worst map for anything in gaming history is the cherry on top.  That they know we hate it and don't care is just whipped cream for the cherry.

1 hour ago, Megalomaniakaal said:

I'm probably the minority in this but I occasionally run it just to farm more crown decorations for the PILE in the corner of my orbiter. And perhaps later for my dojo's vault.

well i occasionally use hydroid just because i totally dig his davy jones look.

but at least we both know that we are definitely are the exception, not the rule.

and that's what really matters on any kind of discussions on public forums: also acknowledging others -especially the majority's standpoint on the issue, not just our personal standpoint.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

I honestly despise that they made Corpus Railjack literally just reused star chart missions tacked on to mini Railjack missions and tried to call it new content.  A huge portion of the game is the same handful of starchart missions over and over. 

• You can run a a survival 
  • or a survival fissure where it's the same but you pick up an RNG special drop
  • or a Lich survival which is the same but there's a new eximus type enemy and occasionally a new field boss
  • or a Steel Path Survival which is the same but slightly harder with a new field boss that's technically just a reused asset from years ago
  • or a Railjack survival which is still the same exact thing but you have to run a mini Railjack mission before you go in and it takes longer to get out now too
  • or you can run an Arbitration survival which is the same except you get one life and there's a new annoying enemy type. 

It's the same exact survival mission or exterminate, or defense or whatever on repeat and they keep calling it new.

It isn't even a pallet swap.  It's literally the same thing with a sign that just says "new" on it and everyone seems to believe them.  And it takes them absolutely forever to put out despite it being the same thing over and over and over.  At least the Grineer Railjack missions came with slightly new mechanics, or the same individual mechanics in a new order.  It was only really one mission type for the entire content drop but it was at least a new mission type.  Disruption was new content.  Taking Corpus Ship Defense and sticking it in a RJ mission is not new content.

The fact that the Corpus ship defense map is the worst map for anything in gaming history is the cherry on top.  That they know we hate it and don't care is just whipped cream for the cherry.

and they ain't awfully tasty whipped cream, either...

i'm with you, chubby. people who like it can defend it however they want, but in reality it's just objectively ain't good new contents.

7 hours ago, Megalomaniakaal said:

I'm probably the minority in this but I occasionally run it just to farm more crown decorations for the PILE in the corner of my orbiter. And perhaps later for my dojo's vault.

And it's also a source of Void Traces without needing to use Relics.

But if course, if it had anything of importance that was reusable in there we would be FORCED to run the mission...

*Looks at Sisters Of Parvos*

... Oh wait.

Taxijack is a bit meh, but I love Grineer skirmishes. They're one of the few things that feels like proper group content, with the split between ship crew and boarders. Skirmish void fissures are fun to play, quick, and rewarding all around between relic, bonus keys/items, credits and endo from ship parts.

13 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

And it's also a source of Void Traces without needing to use Relics.

You can go solo and not equip a relic. You still get the void reactant traces. I usually do this when I have a resource booster and use volt to speed through capture or rescue getting ≈50 on average per run and average run being 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat for about an hour. (60 / 2) * ≈50 ≅ ≈1500.

Simple answer to the original question is that RailJack exists in its current state because it is in intermediate stage toward something else.  DE are (hopefully!) building something that will eventually integrate ground, mission and archwing into a single flow.   As they are building this on an existing mission structure it makes sense that they are reusing current mission mechanics by linking them wholesale into the new systems.  As more progress is made in this the 'seams' should eventually disappear leaving something beautiful.  Or it could end in an unholy mess.

Most important content in Railjack as of now is... mastery fodders. Time spent on a Railjack mission is a net loss in income of items that actually matter in a long run. Railjack can't replace dedicated Arbitrations, Index, Deimos or any Dark sector survival, cryotic farm, Void runs, so there is no point to ever touch it, unless you need mastery points.

And Railjack space combat is just dreck.

Lots of valid comments in this topic. To be clear, I don't like RJ at all. Playing a proper space shooter supporting joystick for years RJ is a joke. What's worse is now you're supposed to use it to get kuva lich.

Yeah, not going to happen for me

i do love railjack and the concept of grand space dog fights but damn, i really wish the missions were more... exclusive to railjack

so grineer skirmishes? they were fun... the first few times but it got tired FAST. the corpus missions being a slice of actual RJ content stuck onto normal starchart missions is kinda sad but hey, at least it's not skirmish after skirmish?

my point is: the missions are a lot of copy and paste and railjack deserves  better to shine as its own expansion. there's a lot more they can do with space fights!

I think Grineer RJ missions are decent, Corpus RJ missions are just waste of time. Still I don't know why they make RJ in the first place because we have fully functional lore friendly Orbiters. I start doing XP farm in RJ missions because the affinity range is generous and you get more types of resources for the sake of Helminth.

My biggest grief with RJ however is the terribly underuse of Archwings. RJ should be where they shine but they arguably are even worse than in plains. Everything one-shots you once outside the LVL 30 range and you just don't really have a reason to be using AWs. How about narrow spaces that RJ can't get in and AWs required to sabotage/hack? AWs deserve more spotlight.

6 hours ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

i do love railjack and the concept of grand space dog fights

I sort of get it but it feels like a totally different game and not a good one at that. For those who love it, all the power to you guys. I just hope they will not force it upon us that don't.

Archived