Tenet Envoy - Interesting mechanic, but mechanic not realistically usable

Unagi604

I've used the Tenet Envoy for a week or two now, and the gimmick is cool on paper, but doesn't translate into gameplay. The handling design choices left me scratching my head.

Requiring strict precision aiming feels like a mismatch on an AOE weapon. Most of the tracking left me thinking to myself, "Why am I not just using a sniper, with no bullet travel time, if I've got to put my reticle on an enemy anyways?". The automatic activation while aiming is a problem as well. 99% of the time, the amount of careful aiming needed to make use of the tracking would have resulted in the target getting hit anyways even if the tracking wasn't in place, and potentially even better without the mechanic because the rockets would have been moving faster. The confirmation of it tracking an enemy is a bit wonky also. With all the other general noises that are going on, the very busy visual explosions from the other rockets, and the beeping stopping after going out of aiming, it's been a complete guess where my rocket is trying to go once I stop manual focused aiming.

The overall end user experience: Fire from the hip because you'll be punished with slow moving rockets for aiming, or make a carefully aimed targeted shot where it's not important but usable at short ranges, but important but not usable at long ranges. You take aim at a target and the recoil of the shot throws your reticle off the target, resulting in a slow moving rocket that could unknowingly be targeting your enemy or the wall behind them. Firing more than 1 rocket results in new recoil resulting in any mid flight rockets being pulled off their target again.

If I could have this mechanic redesigned, here's what it would look like:
Aiming does not slow rockets down.
Aiming does not trigger tracking.
Tracking is activated by the alt fire while aimed.
Tracking is deactivated by the alt fire outside of aimed, the target dying, or a fixed amount of time.
Tracking is applied to the target closest to the reticle when activating, or to the surface being aimed at if no enemies are close to the reticle.

My favorite feature of the weapon is honestly the fact that it is a fully automatic, although it fires really slow. I've almost completely ignored the homing mechanic. I think the suggestions to redesign the tracking are pretty good.

Tenet Envoy has become my weapon of choice for playing Gauss and just holding down the trigger while having Primed Sure Footed equipped to not get staggered.

my 2cents was:

On 2021-07-16 at 3:30 AM, taiiat said:

i went out and prioritized Tenet Envoy, among a few other Weapons, because i could tell they were a lot more interesting than the rest.
however, using Envoy, it leaves a little bit to be desired. it's good, just the way it works seems to cry out for a couple particular features that just aren't there.

• the VFX and tracking sound changes when you're aiming directly at an Enemy. but this doesn't seem to actually do anything. so, why does it do that at all? i don't see the point of it existing.
    but, it could be useful! what i'd recommend is that when aiming directly at an Enemy, the Missile travels faster, plus the Explosion has reduced falloff.
  • also, this Weapon autoreloads while Holstered. but to really encourage that type of playstyle, you should really give this Weapon a faster innate Holster Speed.
  • because of the nature of this Weapon encouraging precision guidance, maybe there should be something extra that happens if you get a Headshot with these Missiles.

could also stand to reduce the Falloff a bit just overall, in addition. it's not like this is ever going to be an Overpowered weapon by any stretch.

i focused on making the Fine Aim feature worth using as it stands, without making it a fast Homing Missile. that way it would be more unique compared to other Weapons in the game.

8 hours ago, Vaml77 said:

Trying to use alternate fire to kill ships in open worlds is quite painful. Like the diplos weapon... they are very wrongly made weapons. I would say....disappointing.

ah yes

that is a Glaring Flaw

the Dropships outrun your rocket.....

Suggested mechanic change: when releasing ADS, the rocket shall maintain its current course, but drastically increase it's speed to near hitscan.

So the gameplay would go like: launch, hold laser aim on the dropship till the rocket is aligned, release AIM and it goes 'whooosh' 'boom'

(yes, this is very much like the Original HalfLife laser guided rocket) -which actually was effective on airborne targets, unlike the Envoy

While messing with the Envoy in the plains, I learned that you can make it behave like a Javelin missile. Shoot it straight up into the air, then aim at the ground (or a bunch of Grineer) then release the aim button. This will make the rocket fly at hip fire speeds toward the 'painted' target area. The Envoy rockets are surprisingly maneuverable and will nearly turn on a dime, which isn't as apparent in the cramped tilesets.    

Works great to target Arbitration Drones. You can fire from the hip and then correct the angle mid-flight. I learned from open worlds you can fire multiple rockets and then use the aiming to have many rockets converge on your target.

The Envoy has a few gimps, but I think it is good instead of DE feeling obligated to nerf it later.

• Like 1

On 2021-09-28 at 8:04 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

ah yes

that is a Glaring Flaw

the Dropships outrun your rocket.....

Suggested mechanic change: when releasing ADS, the rocket shall maintain its current course, but drastically increase it's speed to near hitscan.

So the gameplay would go like: launch, hold laser aim on the dropship till the rocket is aligned, release AIM and it goes 'whooosh' 'boom'

(yes, this is very much like the Original HalfLife laser guided rocket) -which actually was effective on airborne targets, unlike the Envoy

Basically similar to a FIM-92 Stinger MANPADS, but with the order of steps of operation switched around/loosened. A FIM-92 Stinger had the user designate and confirm a target before firing, with this suggestion you can continue to designate a target or switch targets after firing, then confirm by releasing ADS.

Something like: 'After ADS for 0.5 seconds, the next missile fired while in ADS gains +200% non-ADS projectile speed when not in ADS.' (For the Envoy, ADS and non-ADS projectile speeds are different; only non-ADS projectile speeds are affected by projectile speed mods).