Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Link (Android) touch controller mode detection fault

EnoKhaon

Test Condition: An XBox Core Controller is plugged into computer *prior* to streaming via Steam Link (Android)

When running Warframe through Steam Link (Android) using touch controls (given the conditions above), the on-screen controls do not update properly, starting with an inability to login, due to a lack of XBox-style control availability (A/B buttons, at the very least).

It is clear that some amount of priority is being given to the controller plugged into the local computer instead under these circumstances, where it is being treated as the "primary" controller. Of note, this does not occur when the controller is plugged in after the Steam Link session has already begun; the touch controls are given priority in this scenario and proper on-screen controls are displayed.

For what it's worth, this might be more of a Steam-specific issue, but if it's something that can (or needs to) be rectified on DE's end, it's worth bringing some attention to it, along with the potential reproduction steps described above.

For clarification, here are a few test cases I examined:

Connect via Steam Link (Android), controller not plugged into computer, launch Warframe: Correct Behavior

Connect via Steam Link (Android), then plug controller into computer, launch Warframe: Correct Behavior

Connect via Steam Link (Android) while controller is plugged in, unplug controller, re-plug it in, then launch Warframe: WRONG BEHAVIOR

Connect via Steam Link (Android) while controller is plugged in (most likely/common scenario), launch Warframe: WRONG BEHAVIOR

Connect via Steam Link (Android) while controller is plugged in, unplug controller, then launch Warframe: Correct Behavior

Followup to previous example -- re-plug controller, then re-launch Warframe: Correct Behavior

6 hours ago, krc473 said:

Windows 7 has not been supported for quite a while now. You may find that this is causing the problems for you.

Microsoft's stated support level for a given OS doesn't inherently disqualify unintended behavior. Additionally, you haven't provided further information regarding whether this bug affects other Windows versions. Without more context, I don't know for certain whether this is limited to a specific OS version or not; given the type of bug it is (software communicating with other software communicating with other software, streaming video and input to/from other software), there's a non-zero chance that it *could* be a factor, so I included mention of it.

At any rate, the key element I'm uncertain of is whether it's strictly a problem on Valve's end (Steam Link) or on Digital Extreme's end (Warframe), but unintended behavior is what it is, regardless of which platform it's on.

Edit: Specifically, it depends (in part) on whether the problem with controller priority handling is on Warframe's end or Steam Link's end. Essentially, if the on-screen controls for Steam Link (Android) are deemed "controller 2" (more importantly, *NOT* "controller 1"), is Warframe potentially misinterpreting that information when it would be attempting to pull up context-sensitive controller configurations?

Because most other games don't actively change the on-screen touch controller, this is generally not an issue. Warframe, however, changes the on-screen controls as early as reaching the title screen (when not typing username/password with Steam-driven on-screen keyboard). In the event that the touch controls aren't properly given active-player priority, this results in a lack of viable controls and an inability to even log in successfully.

6 hours ago, acevezwing said:

I'm not familiar with SteamLink. Have you tested those test cases with other games?

7 hours ago, EnoKhaon said:

Because most other games don't actively change the on-screen touch controller, this is generally not an issue. 

Yep. In my personal experience, this has only been a problem involving Warframe so far. I don't know how many games have context-sensitive on-screen controls the way Warframe does, however, so I don't have an absolute, thorough frame of reference for whether this problem would apply to *any* game with context-sensitive controls (Valve's problem) or if it's specific to Warframe (DE and/or Valve's problem).

(For reference, Warframe changes its touch control interface depending on whether you're on foot, in any transformed mode, or plenty of other scenarios)

Archived