How do you run your railjack crew? (discussion)

Jemmies

Question

I've just ran a railjack solo with crew for the first time. The gunner crews are quite accurate if you get them to Gunnery 5.

This is how I set them up,
Engineer - Repair 5, Combat 5, Endurance 4
2x Gunner - Gunnery 5, Combat 5, Endurance 4
Coincidentally, I wasn't looking but all three of them got Pilot 1. =D

Worked out quite well for me. I was flying around and watching the two gunners take down fighters. I restricted myself to flying and running the side missions only. Give the gunners a good turret and they will light them up. Currently, I'm letting them use the Zekti Apoc for crits.

Also let a ramsled in on purpose. The crew went to fight against them. Again, I restricted myself to watching them clean up the mess. Quite efficient, though one of the crew died so I went to resurrect.

With my current set up, I think I can safely go off on side missions while the crews keep the ship alive.

How do you run your railjack crew?

23 answers to this question

Remember, that the task given to them is the one they'll concentrate on.

However if for some reason they can't do their primary task they'll help kill boarders.

E.G.: a pilot that can't pilot because you are in control will kill boarders.

Or an engineer that doesn't have anything to repair will attack boarders but as soon as there's damage or a fire he'll stop fighting and try to fix things (which is why high endurance for that one is good to have)

My set up.

1x Engineer for the repairs, who also has high combat and endurance stats

1x Gunner, maxed gunnery stats, the rest of the stats are neither here or there as far as I know because a gunner will stay in working as a gunner as long as there's things around to shoot at.

1x Defender with maxed stats in combat and endurance. If there's little to no chance that there will be boarders I will assign that one to be a second gunner while in the mission.

Personally I don't find having a pilot worth it because although they tend to keep your ship out of harms way they also tend to take control very quickly whenever you jump from pilot seat to the big gun, making it difficult for you to shoot the target.

Once you have your ship fully decked out and have some NPC's that are decent, there isn't a reason for you to lose a mission because your ship explodes. 

The only times that I had issues was in the beginning and playing with randoms.

:)

• Like 3

I have a setup similar to yours, OP, and from what I can tell there are 2 ways to handle things when you go on foot missions:

1. Park your Railjack at least 5,000m away from any objective, slighshot yourself in.  Leave all crew member assignments as-is (1 Engineer, 2 Gunner).  This is how I used to run all missions, and the Engineer never dies and never needs me to revive them.  Basically, none of the Missiles / Ship Killers can reach the Railjack, and any Ramsleds are launched from so far away that your gunners have more than enough time to intercept them before they make contact.  The only drawback is that you will have to fly in and out of the objective to hack, kill radiators, hack...

2. Assign one of the Gunners to Pilot around 6,000m away from your next objective, slingshot yourself in.  This is riskier because your Railjack will be in range for enemy Missiles, Ship Killer Beams and Ramsleds to get you.  However, it is also faster because your pilot will blow up any Radiators you expose, so as long as your Engineer does not start bleeding out, you can just stay on the objective.  The only catch is that you really need to keep your eyes on your Engineer's Health (and your ears open for their cries for help).  If they are bleeding out, it means that you have been boarded and your Engineer has been overwhelmed.  Recall back to kill all the boarders, revive your Engineer, and then you can go back to the objective.  As long as my Engineer is alive, I simply do not care about hull breaches because I know they will fix it with time to spare.

Good luck, and have fun!

• Like 1

i don't play taxijack because why the      do i need to worry about a godam taxi.
if i want to worry about my ride, i'll bring my own car and gladly waste quarter an hour finding a good parking spot.
we ride taxi because we just need to get to our destination quick and don't want to worry about the dam ride afterwards.

so i play taxijack with my friends, and with my friends only. even with them, sometimes i want to smack them in the head for the stupid      they do. luckily they're my friends who already earned my unlimited forgiveness. just thinking about doing it with some broken a.i or god forbid random players in pubs got my blood boiling.

idk why DE is so         obsessed with babysitting. babysit hostage, babysit coffin, babysit antennas, babysit computers, babysit companions, now we have to babysit our battleship as well. it's a godam battleship, it should be the last thing which needs babysitting. our godly powers are unbalanced beyond salvation, they're desperate for ways to fail missions by killing something else than our unkillable god warframes.

=============

with rant out of the way, there are railjack missions that doesn't require you to specifically babysit your ship.

for these kind of missions i use a gunner, an engineer, and a defender. of course 5-5-4 they're relatively easy to get i don't think anyone runs lower stats nowadays.

gunner is good. she'll hit everything on low levels, and still let me shoot some stuff on higher levels. best crew a.i no contest, easy pick.
engineer is good, he fix stuff so i never have to leave the pilot seat. he also help defender which is why i never need to worry about those two losing to boarders.
defender is just insurance. i like shooting, so two gunners would left me jobless. and i haven't trust pilot a.i so i just keep her on the bench.

• Like 2

My set up is... 

1 x Engineer, thats built for repair and combat, and a bit of endurance. 
1 x Gunner, thats built for gunnery and endurance primarily.
1 x Gunner/Pilot hybrid, thats built for gunnery and piloting primarily. 

I frequently throw down a Wisp Spectre somewhere near where the Engineer paths and operates. I have like over 200 of the Vapor type so might as well use them. 

Depending on the mission type and difficulty, I'll either park Railjack somewhere behind some sort of cover when I need to go outside, The two gunners are great at killing most things. If there is more open space and a few more high level crewships around, I'll let the Gunner/Pilot Pilot. In the latter sometimes Ramsleds get through but Engineer and Wisp Spectre deal with them. If I am around, I'll run and get some Wisp buffs myself. 

Always have a pretty carefree and chill time. Am thinking about adding Defender though, because would be nice to bring some of my converted Lichs and Sisters along sometime.

• Like 1

Engineer/gunner/lich.  The gunner or engineer is also a maxed pilot.  

Currently my gunner is also my pilot but what ends up happening is that there is no one to trash ramsleds and prevent boarding and someone usually dies.   I think im gonna change to Engineer/Pilot.   I only need a pilot when I raid bases.  

Two gunners is a waste.. I have only ever used 1 gunner and the enemies already explode faster than I would like lol.  2 would mean I wouldnt have to shoot my guns at all except to deal with crewships. 

My Lich Ree Duu does not seem that effective.  Sometimes I get back to my ship and my Lich is nowhere to be found, but not dead...   his weapon cant compete with modded weapons...   I might swap him out at some point.   But probably not....  I have become pretty proficient at summoning him during missions.   being able to call in a Lich when being attacked by assassins or when fighting steel path bosses/acolytes has been huge.  So he may suck on the ship but having him On Call is awesome.  

But yeah any job that isnt going to be pilot I would try to make /combat and a little endurance.  My gunners and engineer suck at fighting lol.   

------

I am pretty happy with my crew as is tho so I dont check ticker every day...

• Like 1

On 2021-09-27 at 7:28 PM, (PSN)kite9000 said:

as far as I know because a gunner will stay in working as a gunner as long as there's things around to shoot at.

Oh no... I did not know this... I should re-think my crew.

On 2021-09-28 at 2:35 AM, MqToasty said:

1. Park your Railjack at least 5,000m away from any objective, slighshot yourself in.

On 2021-09-28 at 9:13 AM, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I'll either park Railjack somewhere behind some sort of cover when I need to go outside

Good points! It was always on my mind about the railjack damage from lasers and boarders from ramsleds. I shall try these methods in awhile and see which suits me better. As far as reading is concerned, it sounds quite good to me.

On 2021-09-28 at 5:48 AM, Soy77 said:

i haven't trust pilot a.i

I don't trust those AI to fly my railjack either! That's why I haven't got a pilot crew.

Do keep in mind that you can change the designation of the crew in mission.

E.G.: you don't have a need anymore for a defender, change him into a pilot or a second gunner OR you get bombarded with boarders while being surrounded by crewships, change things around so you have more defenders or engineers, once the dust has settled you just re-assign them back to their normal tasks.

• Like 1

I just ran a few skirmish runs in the Veil. Parking at 5,000m away and slingshotting myself to the objective is quite easy and really suit my play style very much! Zero boarders while I was away and barely a scratch on the railjack's hull.

The only drawback I have with running crew only is that the gunners are too efficient. By the time I park my railjack behind a crewship and switch myself to the forward artillery, the two gunners would've destroyed all three propulsion jets. Two million damage down to 15k damage. Still a blown up crewship nonetheless. I suppose this would be good for players who prefer to board enemy crewships and blow it up from the inside.

16 hours ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

I dont check ticker every day...

Heh! I thought I was the only one checking ticker every day until I got my three elite crews.

1 hour ago, (PSN)kite9000 said:

Do keep in mind that you can change the designation of the crew in mission.

Oh! You can change their roles during mission? That is very useful indeed! I shall run a few more runs later to look for this function.

Edited by Jemmies
  • Like 1

On 2021-09-27 at 5:30 AM, Jemmies said:

I've just ran a railjack solo with crew for the first time. The gunner crews are quite accurate if you get them to Gunnery 5.

This is how I set them up,
Engineer - Repair 5, Combat 5, Endurance 4
2x Gunner - Gunnery 5, Combat 5, Endurance 4
Coincidentally, I wasn't looking but all three of them got Pilot 1. =D

Worked out quite well for me. I was flying around and watching the two gunners take down fighters. I restricted myself to flying and running the side missions only. Give the gunners a good turret and they will light them up. Currently, I'm letting them use the Zekti Apoc for crits.

Also let a ramsled in on purpose. The crew went to fight against them. Again, I restricted myself to watching them clean up the mess. Quite efficient, though one of the crew died so I went to resurrect.

With my current set up, I think I can safely go off on side missions while the crews keep the ship alive.

Don't know the weapon name off the top of my head but the one that fire twin laser beams is a good one for gunners. Definitely have to give it a try.

• Like 1

Photor is good as a front gun vs Corpus (it can kill Corpus crewship shields from the front.)

As for crew setup, one think nobody mentioned yet that in non-solo games, the first player who joins bumps the crew in your 3rd slot, then 2nd, then 1st, so it's a good idea to put defenders last and engineers first, just in case.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, nebfab said:

the first player who joins bumps the crew in your 3rd slot, then 2nd, then 1st

So I'm correct in setting up such that the left slot is the Engineer, the middle and right slots are the Gunners right?

• Like 3

The Railjack missions are my favorite part of the game.  I consider my setup quite simple and very effective.  Like others I have seen here, it's 1 Gunner, 1 Defender & 1 Engineer.  I also have an extra crew... because I was/am a noob and thought I could add another one.  His skills are great for piloting, but 99.9% of the time, I pilot myself and he's just there in case 1 of my active crew actually dies... which only happened once, long ago when I didn't even know we had a Forge or what it was for.  Usually my missions go well, I exit the railjack when I have to, and when I return all boarders are dead and my team are just kicking @ss.

I get boarders sometimes because I tend to park right next to the target I need to board, or behind a large rock, very close to it and my gunner doesn't have time to shoot them both down.  But they never call me for help as they tend to keep everything under control.

I've found it preferable to do my railjack missions solo, with just my a.i. crew... though I wish I could assign more crew to the Railjack as it has more guns and plenty of room for more people.

Edited by Syndel.Markus
  • Like 1

I run the same as you OP but I generally park my railjack behind something.  just to keep the rare ramsled out. Generally between 7-4km seems safe enough to not come back to chaos.

The gunners mop up fighters as soon as they spawn.  Engineer is bored but there on the rare chance there is a hazard. 

I just jump into archwing do the missions once it is time to party at the objective. The skirmish radiators would be a problem but it doesn't take long going in and out for me. 

• Like 1

pilot - good base stats in both piloting an gunnery an then uses points to boost which ever needs to be fixed.
when i need to use the BFG below deck i push them into gunner seat so that way i have less chance to get fatal breach from fighter ships an ramsleds.

gunner - doesnt matter just needs to be good in gunner an go PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

engeineer - needing to be good in repairing, combat an endurance as they will be given best weapon an in charge of repairing an taking on the boarders which is not very often.

i fly around taking out some enemies or just take control an shove pilot into gunner seat as i enjoy abit of the action myself.
tho one time i had to go afk an came back with my ship completly fine :D.

as i had a pilot to keep the ship moving so no crew ships couldn't get hits on it easily.
gunner keeping the any ships getting close a warning message that this railjack is a threat.
engineer keeping the insides safe an running well.

but are times when mission is complete i pop partical ram >:3 an start flying into resource nodes to pick up abit of extra lootage

• Like 1

On 2021-10-01 at 4:49 PM, Jemmies said:

So I'm correct in setting up such that the left slot is the Engineer, the middle and right slots are the Gunners right?

IDK why, maybe they changed it, maybe I misremembered, but the order seems to be the reverse, the leftmost slot is replaced by a player first...

• Like 1

On 2021-09-27 at 11:30 AM, Jemmies said:

Currently, I'm letting them use the Zekti Apoc for crits.

Me too.... However... I heard that the Photos Weapon is better specifically for The AI since it's Hitscan meaning they never miss.... 🤔

I don't have a Pilot yet so I don't know about that 🤔....

I go with the "META"... One Gunner, One Engineer and My Rad Lich on Defense.... I haven't decided which weapons to give my Crew Members just yet....

Anyway... When the mission starts I make a bee line straight to the objective and just leave both the Railjack and Crew to fend for itself while I play Normal Warframe.... 

I don't even know how to use my Railjack Abilities.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nebfab said:

IDK why, maybe they changed it, maybe I misremembered, but the order seems to be the reverse, the leftmost slot is replaced by a player first...

Just did two runs. It is still going right to left. The left most crew is the last to be replaced.