Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you complete the "Hive Extermination" Deimos bounty?

FadeToNull

Question

There's a bounty on Deimos where you're supposed to destroy three hives within a time limit.

The NPCs keep scolding me that I have to find a way to get inside the hive.

They also hint "what's that thing connected to it?"

I can't find anything that looks like a "connection to" or a "way to get inside of" anything.

I don't understand what the game wants me to do. The instructions don't seem to apply to anything that's happening.

What is the expectation for this mission?

16 answers to this question

21 hours ago, FadeToNull said:

I don't understand what the game wants me to do. The instructions don't seem to apply to anything that's happening

Yeah this pretty much describes my experience whenever trying anything in this game for the first time...

On 2021-10-02 at 8:07 PM, motorfirebox said:

Well, the thing you want to blow up is inside a protective wall of infested vines. So he means "get inside it" the way you'd "get inside" a lockbox or a safe or somesuch.

Ah. I misunderstood. Now it makes more sense.

On 2021-10-02 at 8:07 PM, motorfirebox said:

Anyway, watch the main hive. It will spit out a little firefly every few seconds that will race across the map. Follow those fireflies, and you'll find a smaller tumor that you can blow up. Blow up three of those smaller tumors, and the main tumor will be unlocked so you can blow that up.

Ok, thx. I'll try that.

5 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I don't go back to Deimos much because the combination of colors and visual spam isn't just annoying, for someone like me prone to migraines it straight gives me a headache and I can only take it in small doses before I start to feel physically ill

My Dad and my brother took one look at the Screen and damn near went Blind... which is funny because the Backlight was only set to 50% and the Brightness was set to Zero... It's just so much...😱

5 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Even though I'm not color blind, I've considered toying with the options for Deimos to see if various color tinkering could make it slightly more tolerable. 

That's actually a good idea... I might fiddle with that aswel... 🤔

10 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Okay so I just did one of these Hive Thingies for the first time Yesterday....

The Problem here is Obvious... You can't See Anything because the game is a Visual Cluster F#_@ and you can't hear Lois's Instructions either because it's also an Audio Cluster F@_$.... 

Maybe It's because I was unlucky to have Come trying to nuke me the very First time I ever did this Mission 🤔.... 

Either way.... Too much Cluster F#_@ going on at once...

I don't go back to Deimos much because the combination of colors and visual spam isn't just annoying, for someone like me prone to migraines it straight gives me a headache and I can only take it in small doses before I start to feel physically ill. 

Even though I'm not color blind, I've considered toying with the options for Deimos to see if various color tinkering could make it slightly more tolerable. 

Okay so I just did one of these Hive Thingies for the first time Yesterday....

The Problem here is Obvious... You can't See Anything because the game is a Visual Cluster F#_@ and you can't hear Lois's Instructions either because it's also an Audio Cluster F@_$.... 

Maybe It's because I was unlucky to have Come trying to nuke me the very First time I ever did this Mission 🤔.... 

Either way.... Too much Cluster F#_@ going on at once...

On 2021-09-30 at 5:53 AM, FadeToNull said:

I can't find anything that looks like a "connection to" or a "way to get inside of" anything.

there are 3 pulses that come out that lead to the hive that you have to follow or use arcwing to fly up to locate.

On 2021-09-30 at 5:53 AM, FadeToNull said:

The NPCs keep scolding me that I have to find a way to get inside the hive.

you cant just snipe them from a distance as there is a sorta protective spore dome around them so need to get in close to take out the hives

14 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

Thanks. How should I locate the target hive? I assume the target hive is not the initial thing that sprouts a barrier of vines the moment you attack it. The game wants me to locate a different target and proceed as you describe (I guess).

To be honest I think his explanation is making things more confusing. 

It depends on which you mean. 

There are TWO different types of Deimos bounty stages with hives you have to destroy. 

Of of them you have to keep destroying the infested near the hive until it becomes vulnerable.

The other one, the hive is invulnerable until you destroy three tumors nearby, which can usually be easily found by jumping into archwing. This is very similar to hive sabotage, which is why some suggest doing it to practice.

What I'm not entirely sure of, as I haven't done Deimos bountes in a while, is which one you are referring to in this case. 

9 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

That is correct.

Thanks for that info for future ref. However, no. I'm not at Arcana yet. (In fact, don't yet know what it is.)

As you initially surmised, I'm referring to the "Mother" bounties. Going by memory, I think these "Destroy the Hive" stages appear in level 3 & 5 bounties.

Thanks. How should I locate the target hive? I assume the target hive is not the initial thing that sprouts a barrier of vines the moment you attack it. The game wants me to locate a different target and proceed as you describe (I guess).

My confusion is that I'm confronting an undifferentiated blur of brownish red. Any of the 900 pulsating blobules in my field of view could be a "hive" for all I know.

You mentioned waypoints. I'm not seeing any of those in-mission.

I gather the instructions to "find a way to get inside it" are simply irrelevant? Perhaps some voice lines the devs accidently attached to the wrong mission?

Well, the thing you want to blow up is inside a protective wall of infested vines. So he means "get inside it" the way you'd "get inside" a lockbox or a safe or somesuch.

Anyway, watch the main hive. It will spit out a little firefly every few seconds that will race across the map. Follow those fireflies, and you'll find a smaller tumor that you can blow up. Blow up three of those smaller tumors, and the main tumor will be unlocked so you can blow that up.

On 2021-09-30 at 11:03 AM, Duality52 said:

@FadeToNullwas referring to the Bounty in the Cambion Drift, not the Star Chart Hive Sabotage in Naeglar, Eris.

That is correct.

EDIT: @FadeToNullmay also be referring to the Arcana Bounties:

Thanks for that info for future ref. However, no. I'm not at Arcana yet. (In fact, don't yet know what it is.)

As you initially surmised, I'm referring to the "Mother" bounties. Going by memory, I think these "Destroy the Hive" stages appear in level 3 & 5 bounties.

On topic. The "Hive Extermination" requires you to get near the target Hive and kill any Infested that spawns from the Hive. Kill all of them to render the Hive vulnerable to damage, then destroy it. As you progress, more of the Deimos Heavy Infested will spawn.

My confusion is that I'm confronting an undifferentiated blur of brownish red. Any of the 900 pulsating blobules in my field of view could be a "hive" for all I know.

You mentioned waypoints. I'm not seeing any of those in-mission.

I gather the instructions to "find a way to get inside it" are simply irrelevant? Perhaps some voice lines the devs accidently attached to the wrong mission?

11 hours ago, Duality52 said:

[OP] was referring to the Bounty in the Cambion Drift, not the Star Chart Hive Sabotage in Naeglar, Eris.

I understood that. My point is that the mechanics are very similar in the Hive starchart mission, and that that mission does not have a timer like the bounty one does. Thus, it is a place to learn about the infested node mechanic without having the pressure of a timer.

2 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If you've never done a Hive starchart mission before, do one. It explains the whole thing much better, and doesn't have a time limit.

@FadeToNullwas referring to the Bounty in the Cambion Drift, not the Star Chart Hive Sabotage in Naeglar, Eris.

4 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

The main hive thing will be surrounded by some sort of windwall, and if you look at it for long enough it'll emit some little glowing pulses that'll travel over the land and to other pustule things.

This is for the Hive Caches in the Cambion Drift, not Hive Extermination.

On topic. The "Hive Extermination" requires you to get near the target Hive and kill any Infested that spawns from the Hive. Kill all of them to render the Hive vulnerable to damage, then destroy it. As you progress, more of the Deimos Heavy Infested will spawn.

One thing to mention is that keep an eye on the waypoints of the Hives, as some HIves may spawn inside the surface caves leading to some issues with the waypoints.

EDIT: @FadeToNullmay also be referring to the Arcana Bounties:

4 hours ago, FadeToNull said:

Sounds like the "Research Bounty". Once you activate the Entrati Device, find and destroy up to 3 special tealed color Infested nodes. The Device will emit energy orbs that will lead you to the nodes if you're struggling to find them.

Once that's done, return to the Device and pick up the sack. The objective is to wait for as many Infested as possible then throw the sack at them. Once they're coated in the sack's liquid, kill them for the Bounty's main objective.

1 hour ago, FadeToNull said:

If you have archwing, fly up higher then look down at the hive. You might actually see some orange stuff moving away from the hive in three different directions. Follow each one of them and it should lead you to something that you need to break. Once you break all three, the hive is vulnerable and you can destroy it.

The (invincible) hives put out pulses periodically, they look like large hazy orbs with trails. They’ll travel towards 1 of 3 tumours that you have to pop before the main hive is vulnerable. The tumours also have auras that prevent damage unless you’re close to them. Once the tumours are all popped you can go back to the hive, kill nearby enemies then destroy it.

It’s very similar to Hive missions on Infested Ships. Usually it’s easiest to fly around the mission area in Archwing to spot them rather than relying entirely on the pulses.

The main hive thing will be surrounded by some sort of windwall, and if you look at it for long enough it'll emit some little glowing pulses that'll travel over the land and to other pustule things.  Those'll be surrounded by a similar windwall, and you gotta get close enough and within the wall to start damaging the pustule. Do that three times and it'll make the central hive vulnerable

edit: assuming this is the one I'm thinking of

Archived