Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are your thoughts on overframe's tier lists?

-Vahagn-

In your opinion, do you feel the tier lists on overframe are an accurate reflection of the game?

For me, they mostly seem fine but since they are user-voted, there is some bias. I personally do not agree that Zephyr currently belongs in "Average Picks". Which she was there before her rework and did not get re-voted. I also find it interesting that the Tiberon Prime is in "Strong Picks" but the Kuva Hind is in "Good Picks". Even though the Kuva Hind is said to be a little stronger than the Tiberon.

Just now, (NSW)Greybones said:

Well, what metric are they using to determine the tiers? I'd have to agree with the metric before I agree with the tiering

It's based on votes cast by users, so it's all opinion. There's a tab in the upper right that shows you the breakdown of the votes.

Just now, PublikDomain said:

It's based on votes cast by users, so it's all opinion. There's a tab in the upper right that shows you the breakdown of the votes.

Huh. Almost sounds like I'll inevitably disagree if everyone's opinion is different. A few red-to-green bars isn't all that informative.

Not sure I'd use this to gauge whether it's an accurate reflection of the game if there's no commonality

It's a popularity contest. But also mostly represents frame usage in certain popular modes like ESO and the like so it's skewed either way.

Really if you wanted to make an objective tier list then you would need to divide it by mission type at the least. If not also accounting for level ranges and factions.

But at the end of the day the game is so easy that all you're getting out of a tier list is more efficiency measured in seconds saved. So none of it really matters.

If I determined one thing about Warframe tierlists, it's that they are (what surprise) entirely subjective.

This is really reinforced when talking with my clanmates. One thinks Inaros is a bad frame because of lack of shield gating, for me he is a safe house until Level 300. On the other hand I consider Ivara outdated. But try to say that aloud in these forums and the twelve Ivara mains come to her rescue. If you ask anyone in my clan who is the strongest frame, you are most certainly going to hear Octavia, but in these tierlists she NEVER goes out on top.

So yeah, always take these tierlists with a grain of salt and try to make your own picture of them. Each frame has their weaknesses and strengths that get blatantly more obvious depending on playstyle.

They don't really reflect the game past the surface level. The list seems to suffer from out-of-date votes/opinions, and people that primarily get their opinion from parroting content creators. Like most things, there's a lot more nuance (and even a bit more subdividing) that needs to go into making a tier list.... And even then, the best tier lists are still subject to the subjective nature that they are. I mean look at some of the melees in "S tier", Helios post nerf, etc...

Tier list can be fun and I make my own privately, but a crowd sourced one is doomed to miss the subtleties needed to "reflect" the game. (Still a great source for new players until they have the experience to form their own (worthwhile) opinions.)

52 minutes ago, WH1735S0W said:

In your opinion, do you feel the tier lists on overframe are an accurate reflection of the game?

For me, they mostly seem fine but since they are user-voted, there is some bias. I personally do not agree that Zephyr currently belongs in "Average Picks". Which she was there before her rework and did not get re-voted. I also find it interesting that the Tiberon Prime is in "Strong Picks" but the Kuva Hind is in "Good Picks". Even though the Kuva Hind is said to be a little stronger than the Tiberon.

It is partially accurate and inaccurate too.

Seeing how it’s based on player votes, players could vote for it to be a S tier because they could be 

Trolling.

Voting on their favorite weapon, not the best.

Voting based on appearance, not fun or efficiency.

Voting based on popularity or other players opinions.

To be honest, there is no best weapon, only favorite weapons because every player has their unique playstyle and will like a different weapon, so you can’t really make a tier list because it is opinionated, also this game is way too big for a tier list. So yes. But however, over frame is the best for tier lists, however some other people who create websites on “top 10 best weapons” they actually give the reasoning as to why it’s the best weapon, so those are also good.

34 minutes ago, (PSN)c1234567890alvi said:

If I determined one thing about Warframe tierlists, it's that they are (what surprise) entirely subjective.

This is really reinforced when talking with my clanmates. One thinks Inaros is a bad frame because of lack of shield gating, for me he is a safe house until Level 300. On the other hand I consider Ivara outdated. But try to say that aloud in these forums and the twelve Ivara mains come to her rescue. If you ask anyone in my clan who is the strongest frame, you are most certainly going to hear Octavia, but in these tierlists she NEVER goes out on top.

So yeah, always take these tierlists with a grain of salt and try to make your own picture of them. Each frame has their weaknesses and strengths that get blatantly more obvious depending on playstyle.

Yep. Exactly.

40 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Huh. Almost sounds like I'll inevitably disagree if everyone's opinion is different. A few red-to-green bars isn't all that informative.

Not sure I'd use this to gauge whether it's an accurate reflection of the game if there's no commonality

That's why it's aggregated. It's not one person's opinion for you to disagree with, it's everyone's opinions averaged out. So it's an accurate enough reflection of general consensus about different items, at least from the perspective of people who use Overframe and care enough to vote on its tier list.

The most objective tier list we could reference is the 2020 usage stats which are pulled directly from the game's database and published by DE, and that list generally shows the same kind of trends plus or minus a bit. OP can get upset about Zephyr being in Overframe's C*-Tier all they want, but even on the 2020 stats she's only got 0.49% total usage. Even their Tiberon Prime complaint is wrong according to the published stats, lol. The Tiberon Prime is a little more popular than the Kuva Hind regardless of how it's "generally considered" among whoever OP is talking to.

12 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

That's why it's aggregated. It's not one person's opinion for you to disagree with, it's everyone's opinions averaged out. So it's an accurate enough reflection of general consensus about different items, at least from the perspective of people who use Overframe and care enough to vote on its tier list.

The most objective tier list we could reference is the 2020 usage stats which are pulled directly from the game's database and published by DE, and that list generally shows the same kind of trends plus or minus a bit. OP can get upset about Zephyr being in Overframe's D-Tier all they want, but even on the 2020 stats she's only got 0.49% total usage. Even their Tiberon Prime complaint is wrong according to the published stats, lol. The Tiberon Prime is a little more popular than the Kuva Hind regardless of how it's "generally considered" among whoever OP is talking to.

I meant like, disagree with the metric used. It's hard to objectively disagree with personal opinions 😋. Establishing a metric to measure might help; is this frame useful for grinding? It'd be hard to put Nyx at the top of a tier list that has that as its metric, since she simply doesn't kill. I'd then probably disagree with the idea that the metric is a good measure of the game itself, since Nyx is one of my most-used frames on my PC account, so I'm disagreeing with something. 🤔

edit: Hm. The frames themselves will probably be accurately portrayed in the tier list according to the metric, but to then expect that it would apply to the game as a whole?

Hey, these tier lists kind of reflect the disposition of weapons, right?

Suckers. I'll be getting neat and powerful rivens for some of these weapons

edit: Hm. I thought the sporelacer felt like a powerful grinding option when I first built it. Had no idea what I was making, just wanted to try the Arcane 😋

Look at archwings.

Itzal, Amesha and Odonata being in three separate tiers despite each of them being the best at different things.

There is not even an "S tier" archmelee and imperator vandal being top is laughable.

Screw tier vote lists, I'll take a gun into Steel Path shoot them in the face, if they die great, if they take to many clips it either needs work or it's low down in useful weapons.

If I shoot them in the face and don't see their health bar move much like that one time I took my Stugg into a SP mission, then I slap myself for even thinking my Stugg could do more damage than it did.

Test Done.

1 hour ago, vanaukas said:

I hate this kind of list because how misleading they are for new or unexperienced players

Me too.

The underlying premise is also totally ridiculous, "opinionated popularity" doesn't say anything. Except about "opinionated popularity".

And since no single warframe is good for everything in the game (not even close), and since every single warframe can easily beat all the "normal" content, the idea of "top tier warframe" is a bit strange (to put it kindly).

The only type of comparison that makes any sense to me would be evaluating a player's "goto squad", the 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 warframes a player uses for handling different missions and content. And doing that comparison on actual reasoning and actual abilities, not "popularity" (oh my...).

Archived