Could a "Loot" Warframe theme work?

Zahnny

I was looking at Lavos and thinking "What if Transmutation Probe had a small one time use chance on Medallions or Ayatans to upgrade them to a higher tier"

And it's got me wondering about a Warframe whose whole kit revolves around loot and looting. Other frames have abilities to help in looting but are typically just one aspect of that frame.

When I imagine a Loot frame my mind conjures images of something akin to a Vault Hunter from the Borderlands series, and the typical "lootsploisions" seen in those games.

I'm thinking of a Warframe whose abilities can enhance drops, (e.g. turning a common mod into an uncommon mod dropped by the same enemy's drop table, or multiplying the resources on the ground.)

restock lockers and storage crates, (maybe as an AoE passive or a passive where they open just by walking near them)

weaponise them, kinda like Mirage, having them explode with damaging loot, and support his team with supplies such as health orbs, energy orbs and ammo drops.

I'm also reminded of one April Fools where DE put a hat on the Stalker and renamed him "The Stocker" showing him filling up lockers, which is kinda my inspiration for a Warframe capable of restocking things.

It's a neat idea, but I don't see this being healthy for the game. Acquiring loot is essential across the board, and making a frame who enhances loot gains to the degree you describe (enhancing Mods, Medallions and Ayatan) would become a "mandatory" pick across most of Warframe and cause a ton of rage if ever rebalanced even a little bit.

Limited to just pickups (ie orbs and ammo) would be fine, but resources... nah.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

It's a neat idea, but I don't see this being healthy for the game. Acquiring loot is essential across the board, and making a frame who enhances loot gains to the degree you describe (enhancing Mods, Medallions and Ayatan) would become a "mandatory" pick across most of Warframe and cause a ton of rage if ever rebalanced even a little bit.

Limited to just pickups (ie orbs and ammo) would be fine, but resources... nah.

Ah, I was hoping kinda like Necros it was only a one time roll on every loot based thing, and that it has a low success rate of 3% or something.

12 minutes ago, ReddyDisco said:

We already have it, called Nekros

16 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Other frames have abilities to help in looting but are typically just one aspect of that frame.

I really wish people would read posts instead of just the titles.

• Like 2

The idea itself isn't bad, but really don't fit the game.

In a game like warframe where there is no real difficulty and everything "hard" is locked behind luck or time, anything that can provide additional loot or roll another chance at specific drop just overshadow the rest of content when it comes to farming efficiently and generally isn't much fun.

This is the main reason they changed the way most of loot abilities works some time ago. Instead of all being strong looting abilities you can merge to make them even stronger, they are now multiple possible options to increase loots you can choose from, because they don't stack anymore with each others.
In my opinion they just shouldn't exist OR being an important mechanic you're directed to use (like each warframe having one unique way to increase loots), but in the current situation they still are an issue (even if it's much better than before).

So, with this in mind, a Warframe whose entire kit revolve around loots isn't a good idea UNLESS it's more a theme where his abilties works around what is looted, rather than stuff that directly affecting loots.
The example of weaponarise lockers in good, and I think the whole warframe kit could rely on drop and luck to play.

This is a very rough design, but it's just to explain what I have in mind when I see your idea :

Passives :
- Second Chance
Earned credit are converted (not consumed) into Second Chance stacks. The stack are consumed instead of your health when below 2HP.
- Second hand : Every pickup item leave a ghost version on the ground for 30s (used by abilities), items converted by abilities can still be picked up.

1st power : Convert pickup items into various gadgets :

• Resources : Mine dealing puncture and slash damage. Damage depend on rarity.
  • Ammos : Pickable buff that increase ammo efficiency and fire rate for the corresponding weapon for 15s.
  • Credits : Arc trap that slow enemies. Slow strength depend on pile amount
  • Energy/Health/Affiniy : Pulse and apply to all allies with 300% efficiency.
  • Objective (Datamass, Disruption keys, etc...) : Big detonation dealing blash and heat damage.

2nd power : Create a transparent wall that prevent enemies from seeing you behind. Hitting enemies through the wall have a chance to drop a loot from their table (works only once per target, like Ivara).

3rd power : Move pickup in a certain radius to the desired location and increase ghost pickups duration by 5 seconds (can't exceed the base 30s) :

• Press : Pull them to you.
  • Hold : Pull them to your aiming point.

4rth power : Second chance stacks are consumed every second and converted into a powerful laser. that stun enemies and deal damage depending on owned stacks. Enemies killed drop x2 credits and unversal ammo drops.

Edited by lukinu_u
  • Like 1

I think it would be better to have a "Loot Warframe" be more along the lines of a Gambler archetype from MOBA games (specifcally the one from DOTA), where the main mechanic is that the character uses a specific resource (such as Gold / Credits) to gain buffs or use abilities. I think there could be something similar to an extent where a Warframe is able to collect regular Credits faster and more, but also a special variant of them (let's just call them Roulette Credits) that allows them to use special abilities or enhance them in a unique fashion. Like for example, an ability that normally gives a standard buff to the Warframe upon hitting an enemy, now can be enhanced into gaining 3 random buffs upon doing so. Something that's risky but overall rewarding, perhaps with added enhanced damage / effectiveness on top for the ability. I think Credits are much safer to riff off of and make more available through this Warframe due to how Credits already aren't exactly a scarce material to a certain extent in the game (at least mid-to-late imo).

I think the concept of a Loot Warframe can be risky if not properly done so, as it would just create a situation where you NEED to have a specific Warframe to effectively perform a task, rather than a Warframe simply being more efficient or have specific conveniences to assist in one, such as Speed Nova in Defense or Lavos in Railjack.

8 minutes ago, ReddyDisco said:

Someone correct the wiki then, it says elemental master. Seems chroma has an identity crisis

Or you just don't understand how themes work? A character can have more than one theme; in fact there is nothing contradictory about a Dragon-themed Elemental Master since in some interpretations in fiction, dragons are basically just that. You're essentializing a specific function over their entire theme, and it would be silly to apply this every Warframe. Ember isn't the Fire Warframe, she's the Nuke Warframe. Saryn isn't the Toxic-Disease Warframe, she's the Nuke Warframe. Equinox isn't the Equilibrium-Day and Night Warframe, she's the- You get the point.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

I was looking at Lavos and thinking "What if Transmutation Probe had a small one time use chance on Medallions or Ayatans to upgrade them to a higher tier"

I asked for this multiple times when Lavos got released, on multiple feedback threads.

The ability to transmute resources to their "higher tier" like turning lead into gold.

For example, in the Void, a resource like circuits affected by Transmutation probe would turn into an Argon crystal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

I really wish people would read posts instead of just the titles.

I understand what you are talking about, and I think there is very little chance of that.

We are lucky DE has allowed Nekros and Charm to exist as they have for so long without nerfs.

A frame that ENTIRELY revolves around looting would quickly become way too important and way too popular for any farming run.

IDK, maybe a treasure hunter frame, that could be kind of cool and include the ayatan/medallion upgrade idea, kind of like a frame that is inspired by Golden Instinct but on steroids. But an actual fully focused loot frame? I think Nekros is as close as they will get it. 

However, someone who is more focused on helping a team hunt for stuff around a map, now that could be more of a full new concept imo. 

There are some cool ideas in your post though, I just think it depends on how you create the concept really. 

TL;DR: 

A full loot from that increases drops from enemies, unlikely. 

A loot focused frame focused on upgrading/finding/increasing drops from storage lockers/medallions, etc, more plausible, and could be interesting. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 2

A more interesting way to do a loot based frame would be to have its abilities interact with dropped loot to do things with. 

Kind of like Mirage's ability to explode pickups, But more around buffing itself and squadmates through picking up (or generating pickups by marking enemies etc)
Exmaple could be something like turning primary ammo pickups into ammo efficiency buffs for short periods, Secondary ammo gives bonus multishot to guns etc, If nothing is present to interact with, the ability would just grant itself a weaker version of the buff. 

Theres always tons of pickups laying about everywhere, particularly in Endless missions. So a Frame that can utilize/interact with those drops would be kind of fun to use, IMO. 

• Like 2

It's certainty a theme that could work but I suspect they would either become polarizing like Nekros or just replace other loot frames.

Like Nekros they could be useless as players no longer need resources or their abilities don't work on a specific one. Or become viewed as a "mandatory" frame for people that want to speed up their progression as fast as possible. While if all/most of their abilities are relevant beyond loot reasons then they risk pushing out other loot builds which make up most of the reason to use some frames.

I've been kicking around an idea in my head for a Corpus-made necramech focused on resource exploitation.  Like each ability allows you to rapidly mass-gather, with some small chance of complete materials loss due to the rapacious mechanics used(5-10% tops, enough for flavor but not enough to undercut your increased gathering speed).  You want your resources, and you want them NOW.  Dynamite launcher for fish, giant strip-mining drill for mining spots, a mass-area tranq claymore or net caster that flings nets everywhere for conservation critters; maybe the fourth could be kind of like Bonewidow's grab, except it channels and you sit there tearing apart an enemy until it dies and goodies fly out(double drop chance on death kinda thing).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

I asked for this multiple times when Lavos got released, on multiple feedback threads.

The ability to transmute resources to their "higher tier" like turning lead into gold.

For example, in the Void, a resource like circuits affected by Transmutation probe would turn into an Argon crystal

Thinking to it, if every random resource pile could be turned into argons (in the void) it might be a tad bit much.

Maybe instead, it would have a toggable passive or meter, and as you collect things, it increases depending on what you pick up, then dependant on what you're trying to transmute, it will remove a portion of said resource and have it turn into the new resource.

For example, 1000 Argon Plates = 1 Argon Crystal.

This might even work for mods, if it was a completely random mod, using the same system from Transmuting mods from your Orbiter. It's completely random and you'll never know what you'd get.

• Like 1

@Zahnny

It's a neat frame idea that I think wouldn't work well once the facets of balancing it for the game as a whole and player adoption became considered.
I expect it would wind up either being vastly underpowered or vastly overused to skirt the nature of this being an RNG grind game.

I could see a suite of mods being added that players could slot at the cost of more efficient/effective mods but couldn't imagine DE offering this as anything other than premium though.

That said, DE has come up with elegant solutions to make stuff work/fit in the past though...

• Like 2

It's a neat concept, but if we look at historical evidence, DE these days designs new content and new enemies to not benefit from any loot sources with the exception of Smeeta. Desecrate, Pilfering Hydroid/Khora, Prowl, and other setups have not been available for new content going years back I feel.

It would be really nice if we could have more "old-styled" missions/resources that allowed players to make loot squads and not just play "I hope I get a Smeeta proc" simulator.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zahnny said:

"What if Transmutation Probe had a small one time use chance on Medallions or Ayatans to upgrade them to a higher tier"

Lavos has yet to get any augments. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a loot one, but I reckon DE will make them elemental-related. hoping maybe they let you keep 2 elements on standby somehow to better use different damage types with his abilities.

7 hours ago, Zahnny said:

When I imagine a Loot frame my mind conjures images of something akin to a Vault Hunter from the Borderlands series, and the typical "lootsplosions" seen in those games.

as nice as that would be, a frame that can manipulate drops like that would not be in DE's interests as it would make things too convenient for players, and such a frame would just become the new Meta for farming runs and nothing more. IMO Hydroid should be the "lootiest" loot- frame, since he's pirate themed, and pirates are all about getting rich. truth is that a lot less people would be using frames like Nekros and Khora if it wasn't for their loot augments.