Public matches forcing next mission start after finishing a mission (PS4 vs PS5 load times)

(PSN)So-Fane

I'm on PS4. Since the PS5 came out (and with increasing frequency), I have had multiple occasions where, upon a public match ending, I am pulled into another mission by one of the players before I have even gotten out of the load screen for exiting the first mission. (I never see my ship/dojo and never get to leave the squad.) This is often very frustrating when you have no desire to go into whatever mission they pull you into and just adds two more load screens (one for when I get pulled in, one for when I leave) and potentially a host migration for everyone if I leave and am host.

Can we get a minimum time to be out of a mission before someone can force a vote to compensate for the disparate load times between the consoles?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, (PSN)So-Fane said:

Can we get a minimum time to be out of a mission before someone can force a vote to compensate for the disparate load times between the consoles?

Won’t this negatively impact people though? It saves time if you know everyone wants to repeat the mission just to force start it. Perhaps an option to prevent interaction between the two consoles would be easier - opt-in or out of course.

Similar things happen on PC due to connection speeds and hardware etc. I don’t recall it ever being a genuine problem though.

16 minutes ago, krc473 said:

It saves time if you know everyone wants to repeat the mission just to force start it.

Except this is a niche circumstance.  The vast majority of the people force starting missions are impatient jerks who have absolutely no sense of other people existing.  The only thing they can manage to get through their two brain cells is "I want to go now" and instead of leaving to start their own missions just force start it on the whole squad.

I cannot stand people force starting missions on me.  The vote is there for a reason.  I've had people ask me for help, and then force start a mission as soon as I get in squad then get pissed when I leave and refuse to help them.  They can't even give me time to adjust my loadout to whatever the mission is, and then don't understand why I'm not going to waste my time helping them.

If anything, force start needs to be flat out removed from the game.  I'd rather have to re-squad up to get around an AFK player every time or leave a pub group and start my own mission without them than have a single other person force start the timer on me.

19 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Except this is a niche circumstance. 

I don't deny that is the case. But sometimes it is useful. There is also the semi-frequent issue of people not being able to accept a mission, or leave the squad. If this was fixed I would accept that it is too much of a niche thing to worry about.

21 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The only thing they can manage to get through their two brain cells is "I want to go now" and instead of leaving to start their own missions just force start it on the whole squad.

I can understand this though - if someone is taking a long time to accept and wont respond to messages then force start is helpful. If the issue is that OP takes far too long to actually load then perhaps a better solution is to prevent people like OP from playing with those that have a PS5.

• Perhaps removing force starts is a good idea. But it seems more like the actual issue here is the difference in speed between PS4 and 5, why not do something to mitigate that instead?

2 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I don't deny that is the case. But sometimes it is useful. There is also the semi-frequent issue of people not being able to accept a mission, or leave the squad. If this was fixed I would accept that it is too much of a niche thing to worry about.

There are only 3 instances I can think of where force start is actually useful.

• There is a bug where if someone puts up a mission vote before someone else has loaded in, the people who load in last get a black screen that a force start fixes.  DE just needs to fix this rather than relying on force start to fix it.
  • You are with 1-2 friends, grouped on purpose and have a pub that is AFK.  DE needs to fix this with an actual party system so that you can choose to be perma-grouped and not get disbanded on leaving relays/world hubs/dojos etc.  This would allow you to just leave the AFK player behind and not have to regroup.
  • Someone you are playing with on purpose and not a pub says "I have to do x for like 2 minutes, just force start it on me."  This is the only single instance where force start needs to exist and honestly if it didn't exist, could be solved with patience or just running a mission without them.

There might be a tiny handful of other rarer bugs where people can't accept a mission but those things should be fixed rather than relying on the horrible bandaid that is force starting.  99% of the time it gets used is by impatient people who can't figure out how to leave a squad and just start the mission with a different pub group.

The issue of different load times isn't just console to newer console, it's with connection speed as well and the issue of different system loadtimes is only going to get worse with crossplay.  It's not solved through limiting interaction, it's solved with people having the tiniest modicum of patience and waiting the extra 20 seconds someone might take to load back in and accept, or even the extra 3 or 4 minutes someone might need to change a loadout around between missions.  If I'm playing with people I want to play with that time means nothing because we're talking.  If it's a pub I can just leave and start a mission on my own.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to see a short timer placed on the "force" option. 30-60 secs. I have had numerous instances this week that a pub member will immediately choose a mission or repeat the mission we just did and the immediately hit force. Sometimes I notice and that was the plan anyway so no harm. Sometimes I'm getting something out of the foundry when I'm dragged into a match that I wasn't ready for.  I do like @UltraRareSloth's idea of leaving behind those that never decided but that does limit the use of it to just avoiding being dragged. It doesn't help however the afk friend that @(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan mentioned in their 3rd point.

• Like 1