Kinda want to enchant cosmetics...

Yes, yes, yes, I know it's taboo to make cosmetics have stats... But I think it might be neat if there was a way to "enchant" cosmetic items. Small buffs, like enchanting a daedalus shoulder armor to +5% on some stat or another.  So there are what? 7 potential enchantables if you only include the main cosmetic you apply to a warframe. Very nice feature for the min-max. Also the trading of enchanted items could be interesting if implemented correctly. As for placing/crafting enchantments, I'd definitely make that actual system as deep into the progression as possible. The large reason other than power is that people further into the game are more likely to have their looks locked down and know what they want. 

If you included EVERY cosmetic you could possibly have in a loadout and allowed the enchanting of all of them, you'd be looking down the barrel of extremely heavy buffing. For this reason each enchantment would need to be unlocked through some very, very challenging challenges. Like if I wanted to learn a + power strength enchantment, I should have to do something that's actually worthy of it. 

It's feature creep. It's power creep. It's gonna piss of the pissy-offy people... But I love it. 

Back in the day of raids, we had to fuse cosmetics to use arcanes. It was bad system because:

-Constantly swapping between them was cumbersome

-Tied the looks to the stats, ruining the fashion

-Favors people that spend plat to buy cosmetics over those that doesnt, bringing the dreaded topic of pay to win (even if you can earn plat through trade)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

We used to have this, and it sucked and got streamlined away into modern Arcanes. We still have this in a few places and it still sucks. Hard, hard pass.

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

So arcanes for cosmetics. 

No...

Before there were arcanes there were cosmetics with stats like you're suggesting. It was really stupid and we don't need it to return. We also don't need "arcanes for cosmetics" whatsoever. Cosmetics are cosmetic. They should never be linked to any statistical improvement.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

No...

Before there were arcanes there were cosmetics with stats like you're suggesting. It was really stupid and we don't need it to return. We also don't need "arcanes for cosmetics" whatsoever. Cosmetics are cosmetic. They should never be linked to any statistical improvement.

I mean, as a better form of the same thing. What there was simply arcanes for cosmetics?

Cosmetic arcanes were kind of cool when there were less cosmetics. I liked the idea of making a cosmetic "special" and bestowing that cosmetic on my favorite frames.

But it soon became cumbersome and got in the way of fashion frame as we got more and more items. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

We do not need what you're suggesting. It is simply not a good idea, my dude. Stat boosts from cosmetics already existed and it was incredibly stupid.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Arcane_Helmet

Yes I get get that. I'm more interested in the brain storm rather than weather or not it's a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Yes I get get that. I'm more interested in the brain storm rather than weather or not it's a good idea. 

What?

I'm not sure I follow you. Why brainstorm ideas for a fundamentally flawed premise? Attaching stats to cosmetics is not a good idea. No iteration of this premise would be a good idea. Brainstorming about this may be fun but moreso for fan-fiction than realistic implementation. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

So arcanes for cosmetics. 

Yep, that's how Arcanes used to work. They were changed for a reason lol.

Edit: If you're interested in brainstorming the idea then I don't see why it's a good idea to begin with. This idea has existed in the game in pretty much the same form you're proposing, and it was removed. The idea of attaching stats to cosmetics doesn't make sense within the context of the game's modding system, which intentionally keeps stats separate from cosmetics in all but a few places (where they ought to be separated, too). The idea of additional equippable stats makes sense, but that's just mods and Arcanes which we've already got. So something like a Power Strength Arcane might be cool.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Yep, that's how Arcanes used to work. They were changed for a reason lol.

Not exactly. The current arcane system is quite different from how arcane helmets worked. The current arcanes replaced the helmets but the helmets never had the same kind of stats as current arcanes as far as I know. There was no arcane helmet equivalent to Arcane Energize or Arcane Grace. The helmets were "arcane" in name and they take up an arcane slot but they are their own thing (stat boosts). This is what I understand through the wiki so it may not be totally accurate so if you can clarify that would be helpful.

11 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Not exactly. The current arcane system is quite different from how arcane helmets worked. The current arcanes replaced the helmets but the helmets never had the same kind of stats as current arcanes as far as I know. There was no arcane helmet equivalent to Arcane Energize or Arcane Grace. The helmets were "arcane" in name and they take up an arcane slot but they are their own thing (stat boosts). This is what I understand through the wiki so it may not be totally accurate so if you can clarify that would be helpful.

Arcanes came in phases. First there were the Legacy Arcane Helmets I think from the Alpha which had frame-sepcific stats and came from Alerts. Those got retired for the first Arcanes in U16 with the introduction of LoR, and are the same ones we have now like Energize and Grace. On release they were permanent equips on helmets and syandanas, and IIRC the ability to take Arcanes off items to move them around came later and was really slow and inconvenient. It wasn't until later (U22 sometime) that the second-generation Arcanes were updated to their current quick-swap slots and total separation from cosmetics. So a cosmetic-locked "enchantment" you get for doing a "challenging" task like OP's talking about is pretty much the second iteration.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 1

Just now, PublikDomain said:

Arcanes came in phases. First there were the Legacy Arcane Helmets I think from the Alpha which had frame-sepcific stats and came from Alerts. Those got retired for the first Arcanes in U16 with the introduction of LoR, and are the same ones we have now like Energize and Grace. On release they were permanent equips on helmets and syandanas, and IIRC the ability to take Arcanes off items to move them around came later and was really slow and inconvenient. It wasn't until later (U22.14) that the second-generation Arcanes were updated to their current quick-swap slots and total separation from cosmetics. So a cosmetic-locked "enchantment" you get for doing a "challenging" task like OP's talking about is pretty much the second iteration.

Thank you very much for that explanation. I could not find information on the earlier iterations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Thank you very much for that explanation. I could not find information on the earlier iterations.

Yeah the wiki is split up all weird. Arcane Helmets is a separate page from Arcane Enhancements and the Patch History section cuts off before the updates where they were introduced. You have to know that the second generation came with Raids, and that the page for Raids isn't actually Raids because it's Raid Raids. You have to look for Trails, and the Trials page has no patch history. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by PublikDomain

Yeah, no. It's pointless powercreep on top of being a system that was already tried and failed horribly.

No system should rely on picking specific cosmetics for stats even if the player gets to choose them. Any such thing would be better off as an independent UI/modding menu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leqesai said:

What?

I'm not sure I follow you. Why brainstorm ideas for a fundamentally flawed premise? Attaching stats to cosmetics is not a good idea. No iteration of this premise would be a good idea. Brainstorming about this may be fun but moreso for fan-fiction than realistic implementation. 

Well I didn't post in feedback haha. That's where my REALLY bad ideas go!