Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ice Wave. Yea Or Nay?

Shion963

Question

I could make a build that takes all skills available minus the Ice Wave nodes. I feel like I'd really like to have it to use, but from what I see the community doesn't exactly like this skill much. But oh my does it reminds me of Dark Souls' White Dragon's Breath so much, another cool-looking but mostly unused spell in DkS.

Now I don't exactly mind testing it out personally, but that's 22k creds to respec just for for that could be put to other use.

... andin retrospect, I should have tried it back when it was rank 4 and cheaper to respec instead of flip-flopping and have to spend more than 20k now... |||orz

12 answers to this question

It's not near so bad as the community makes it sound, it's more that his other skills are so amazing. It definitely still has uses, it's just in most cases you might as well use your ulti, if you are supercharged. If they nerf his ulti (and I think they should) I think there will be a lot more people using this skill.

lol i did just respected mine to create a build like this XD

cause it remind me (kind of) the Power Geyzer of Terry Bogard from fatal fury

w/e it's strong or not it does slow down all ennemies in front of you, then bring out your best gun/rifle/shootgun moded with puncture....

Profit

if you can manage to twice ice wave in a row, you can also bring out your best crowd control sword

ill not talk about profit this time , but pure Luxury

Edited by Tsoe

I tried to make use of this skill before unlocking the ultimate, but it just wasn't very effective. Seems like it should take out or freeze a line of enemies heading toward me, but it just did some unimpressive amount of damage and nothing at all to enemies standing right next to it.

It's not near so bad as the community makes it sound, it's more that his other skills are so amazing. It definitely still has uses, it's just in most cases you might as well use your ulti, if you are supercharged. If they nerf his ulti (and I think they should) I think there will be a lot more people using this skill.

Ice Wave is a dumpster skill, and is just basically never worth using when you have Avalanche and Snow Globe available. Don't bother sacrificing other nodes for this skill.

It's supercharged, forgot to mention that detail.

And so unless if there's a change in how the current skillset is, it's a no. Thank you guys for your replies, it's good help!

Using Ice based powers are usefull in certain situations. Infestation for instance, are swarmers and using the Ice mods for weapons gives you a little bit more crowd control with Infestation enemies. Its not a matter of how the community persives it based on engagements with every enemy, its a matter of who your using it against. My Bo has Electrify and Freezing mods on it, works very well against Infestations in slowing down and damaging them a little bit. Fire mods are effective as well, but they're not that ideal for certain types. You have to identify the enemy, its strengths and weaknesses. I could go into a wall of text, but it might be better if I make it as a Topic. But Ice can slow enemies down, so I say "Yay" for the use of it, even though I use my Heat Swords or the Gram.

Using Ice based powers are usefull in certain situations. Infestation for instance, are swarmers and using the Ice mods for weapons gives you a little bit more crowd control with Infestation enemies. Its not a matter of how the community persives it based on engagements with every enemy, its a matter of who your using it against. My Bo has Electrify and Freezing mods on it, works very well against Infestations in slowing down and damaging them a little bit. Fire mods are effective as well, but they're not that ideal for certain types. You have to identify the enemy, its strengths and weaknesses. I could go into a wall of text, but it might be better if I make it as a Topic. But Ice can slow enemies down, so I say "Yay" for the use of it, even though I use my Heat Swords or the Gram.

good

go make a topic about it now and join my clan

Ice Wave is a decent ability, but it is underwhelming when compared to Avalanche. The damage also does not increase with leveling the skill; only the range of the effect. The positive thing about it is that it slows in a decent-sized area, and more to the point costs half as much energy as an Avalanche.

Essentially, it is a great skill when you are strapped for energy and need a quick crowd-control move to deal with a swarm of enemies. If you have the energy for it, however, Avalanche is always the better alternative to use as it hits in a very large area around you and deals vastly more damage.

I oh-what-the-hell'd and respecced to try out Ice Wave, went to a low level grineer base mission to try it out. And I got the perfect opportunity to do it.

It was an air vent with fan blocking the way, and I'm guessing more than 20 troops on the other side, all bunched up pressed against the fan trying to get at me. So I waited a while for my Energy Siphon to recover a bit of energy, went straight up to the fan and BLASTED Ice wave point blank.

It only took out like 5 grineers because it went in an absolute straight line forward (and it was lvl 1 Ice Wave so it didn't have much distance on it).

Good thing I brought my supercharged Gram, because breaking the fan was like opening a floodgate of multiple saw-guys and shotgunners. It was a miracle there wasn't a heavy there that time.