Jump to content
  • 0

Question about Baruuk Desert Wind Combo Counter


(PSN)tigagelas
 Share

Question

Hello.

I wonder if this normal or not. When I using Baruuk's Desert Wind. The combo counter is really hard to increase. And also when equipped melee combo counter already at 12x and changes to Desert Wind. The combo counter is reset to 0. (and really hard to reach even just for 2x)

The question is:

1. Is the combo Desert Wind seperate than the melee?

2. Is Desert Wind is really hard to gain combo (I watch several youtube video showing the Desert Wind able to reach 12x easily).

Currently playing on PS. If you have any tips for Baruuk please let me know. :)

Thank you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

1. The Combo counter is the same as your melee weapon, that's why players used to have a Xoris with them to benefit from illimited (in time) combo counter (this was fixed some time ago, and even if you have equipped your Xoris, combo counter will reset). If you switch between your melee weapon and Desert Winds you won't loso your combo counter. { I was wrong, see below].

2. Desert wind wave hits don't increase your combo counter. To increase faster your combo counter, you'll have to make a specific build : Power Spike from Naramon Focus helps a lot to maintain a high combo counter. You can also use Guardian Derision to increase combo counter while blocking, or just put more range (Desert Wind attack has just a 1,2m range).

Beware that some old videos still shows the pre-Xoris balance (nerf) and players could have a x12 combo counter due to Xoris illimited combo counter duration.

Edited by (NSW)AegisFifi
Correting some wrong information
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
21 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

1. The Combo counter is the same as your melee weapon, that's why players used to have a Xoris with them to benefit from illimited (in time) combo counter (this was fixed some time ago, and even if you have equipped your Xoris, combo counter will reset). If you switch between your melee weapon and Desert Winds you won't loso your combo counter.

Just tested and this appears to be incorrect.

Having a 12x combo multiplier with your regular melee weapon results in a 0 combo multiplier for desert hands. When you activate Desert Hands it resets to 0. Stopping the ability retains the combo multiplier you previously had with your melee. There are two separate combo counters. One for your exalted and one for your regular. (tested in simulacrum).

Edited by Leqesai
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
48 minutes ago, (PSN)tigagelas said:

 

1. Is the combo Desert Wind seperate than the melee?

Yep.... That being Said.... The Gladiator Set Bonus will transfer from your Melee Weapon to Desert Wind... Or atleast it used to.... They might have Nerfed it by now.

50 minutes ago, (PSN)tigagelas said:

 

2. Is Desert Wind is really hard to gain combo (I watch several youtube video showing the Desert Wind able to reach 12x easily)

As is the case with Excalibur's Exhaled Blade you must Physically make contact with your Own Fists for the Combo to Register... Hitting them with The Waves does nothing ... Using Primed Reach can help if you have room to spare...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

1. Exalted weapon and regular melee weapon have a separate combo counter.

2. Yes it is really hard, bc DW waves do not affect the combo counter.

I presume the issue is Gladiator Set bonus mainainance. There are two viable and relatevaly simple ways (actually a little more but the rest are quite lame) to maintain GS bonus with your Desert Wind:
1. setup: Naramon focus school + Primary Dexterity Arcane + Secondary Dexterity Arcane + regular melee {Gladiator Might, Gladiator Vice + Gladiator Rush}; build up counter and maintain it by blocking incoming attacks with your Desert Wind. Quite easy to use playin' solo against grineers, corpus or corrupted, but could be a possible pain in the arse to use it playin' open groups and against infested.
2. setup: Naramon focus school + regular melee {3 GS mods, Body Counter, Drifting Contact, (Primed) Fury and/or Quickening} + Melee Guidance Aura on your Warframe; build up counter with your regular melee weapon, activate Ultimate ability, enjoy; switch back to your regular melee and maximize counter when needed (~ every 50-60 sec i guess).

Edited by jzshbnsl
no pdex and sdex for 2nd option. srry
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Il y a 4 heures, Leqesai a dit :

Just tested and this appears to be incorrect.

Leqesai is right and I was wrong : I also tested and when you launch Baruuk's 4th your combo counter will reset.

FOR THE EASY HIGH COMBO COUNTER :

To show you how easy is to get a x12 combo and maintain it, I've made a short gameplay video on Simulacrum : I'm using Naramon Focus and these Mods for some extra combo points  : Quickening, Guardian Derision and Drifting contact for combo duration. Blocking and slide attacks always increase your combo counter, and if you have some combo duration, your combo counter will only grow.

Be aware that you must deactivate Baruuk's 1st to be able to block, and you'll get some damage. Also, slide attack's will disarm enemies, which synergises with Desolate Hands.

Edited by (NSW)AegisFifi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, Leqesai said:

1: Desert Wind's combo counter is separate from your regular melee

2: Only hits from your actual fists count toward the combo growth. The waves do not count. 

 

5 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Just tested and this appears to be incorrect.

Having a 12x combo multiplier with your regular melee weapon results in a 0 combo multiplier for desert hands. When you activate Desert Hands it resets to 0. Stopping the ability retains the combo multiplier you previously had with your melee. There are two separate combo counters. One for your exalted and one for your regular. (tested in simulacrum).

 

5 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Yep.... That being Said.... The Gladiator Set Bonus will transfer from your Melee Weapon to Desert Wind... Or atleast it used to.... They might have Nerfed it by now.

As is the case with Excalibur's Exhaled Blade you must Physically make contact with your Own Fists for the Combo to Register... Hitting them with The Waves does nothing ... Using Primed Reach can help if you have room to spare...

 

 

1 hour ago, jzshbnsl said:

1. Exalted weapon and regular melee weapon have a separate combo counter.

2. Yes it is really hard, bc DW waves do not affect the combo counter.

I presume the issue is Gladiator Set bonus mainainance. There are two viable and relatevaly simple ways (actually a little more but the rest are quite lame) to maintain GS bonus with your Desert Wind:
1. setup: Naramon focus school + Primary Dexterity Arcane + Secondary Dexterity Arcane + regular melee {Gladiator Might, Gladiator Vice + Gladiator Rush}; build up counter and maintain it by blocking incoming attacks with your Desert Wind. Quite easy to use playin' solo against grineers, corpus or corrupted, but could be a possible pain in the arse to use it playin' open groups and against infested.
2. setup: Naramon focus school + PDex Arcane + SDex Arcane + regular melee {3 GS mods, Body Counter, Drifting Contact, (Primed) Fury and/or Quickening} + Melee Guidance Aura on your Warframe; build up counter with your regular melee weapon, activate Ultimate ability, enjoy; switch back to your regular melee and maximize counter when needed (~ every 50-60 sec i guess).

Thank you so much for explaination. Now I'm understand more about Baruuk.

1 hour ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

Leqesai is right and I was wrong : I also tested and when you launch Baruuk's 4th your combo counter will reset.

FOR THE EASY HIGH COMBO COUNTER :

To show you how easy is to get a x12 combo and maintain it, I've made a short gameplay video on Simulacrum : I'm using Naramon Focus and these Mods for some extra combo points  : Quickening, Guardian Derision and Drifting contact for combo duration. Blocking and slide attacks always increase your combo counter, and if you have some combo duration, your combo counter will only grow.

Be aware that you must deactivate Baruuk's 1st to be able to block, and you'll get some damage. Also, slide attack's will disarm enemies, which synergises with Desolate Hands.

Thanks a lot for this extra effort. I will try your suggestion ^^

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I guess i have to make some clarification, since it isn't that obvious.
The fact is that the work of the regular melee combo counter and the combo counter of exalted weapons are intertwined with each other in a strange way. If you build, say, a melee combo multiplier x9 (x8 GS multiplier), then activate Desert Wind and make it x2, GS will go x8 -> x9. But if you let the DW combo counter decrease x2 -> none, it will completely eliminate the GS multiplier. And this is the reason why you use "Melee Guidance" in the second method - it will not allow DW to accumulate a combo meter at all, but regular melee combat still can do this thanks to Gladiator Rush, Drifting Contact and Body Count.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, jzshbnsl said:
I guess i have to make some clarification, since it isn't that obvious.
The fact is that the work of the regular melee combo counter and the combo counter of exalted weapons are intertwined with each other in a strange way. If you build, say, a melee combo multiplier x9 (x8 GS multiplier), then activate Desert Wind and make it x2, GS will go x8 -> x9. But if you let the DW combo counter decrease x2 -> none, it will completely eliminate the GS multiplier. And this is the reason why you use "Melee Guidance" in the second method - it will not allow DW to accumulate a combo meter at all, but regular melee combat still can do this thanks to Gladiator Rush, Drifting Contact and Body Count.

Thanks. Im trying this right now but need to do aura forma first. anyway, So to clarify what you said on the previous post, we have to maintain regular melee combo counter every combo duration to maintain the red crit and dont let DW gain any combo count as it will "break: the red crit? or once we switch after 12x it will keep the red crit as long as the DW dont gain combo?

 

Anyway, im having hard time to maintain the meter low. What's the trick tbh? I saw youtuber using zephyr airburst helminth. But what if I dont use any helminth ability?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

First, i did a mistake, you don't need pdex and sdex arcanes for 2nd method, cuz it will make possible for DW to accumulate counter. I've corrected my post and want you to know to avoid your misinformation.

Answering your question: you have to maintain x11 (actually x9 and x10 are also enough for red crits) on your regular melee weapon switching back from DW from time to time to gain back regular combo counter, as it will slowly decay while you desintegrate mobs with your paci-fists.

About meter... If you run Steel Path missions (or arbitration or any infitnite mission) it shouldn't be a big problem since those missions overpopulated with mobs. Lull and Desolate Hands should get the job done. Otherwise, i guess, it will be easier to intentionally let mobs attack you while your Elude is active. Just find any enemy with good fire rate (Gunner for instance), use 1 and stare at her for for a while. Make her feel uncomfortable.

Edited by jzshbnsl
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, (PSN)tigagelas said:

Currently playing on PS. If you have any tips for Baruuk please let me know.

High strength plus Reactive Storm (augment) will take care of just about anything. Most people like low duration for the lulll spam to keep restraint high, and I just use base range, 25m is more than sufficient in my experience. 160% efficiency to help support the ability spam. 

I've tried a few different helminth abilities in place of Elude. Warcry is a fair bit of fun, but it does need a bit of duration, and you might find fitting the augment into your build to be a bit tricky. Gloom is of course a strong option.

As for the whole combo/bloodrush/gladiator interaction; in practice, you'll probably get your combo to max quickly just using your normal melee. Then when you switch to your fists, you'll start pumping out waves which will naturally do an absurd amount of damage. However, due to the weird interaction, if you hit something with your fists (i.e. not the waves), that'll reset the bloodrush buff (since your fists combo is now used in the calculation). This is perhaps the most common complaint/bug regarding Baruuk. For this reason, I don't bother with that aspect of it any more.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 hours ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

High strength plus Reactive Storm (augment) will take care of just about anything. Most people like low duration for the lulll spam to keep restraint high, and I just use base range, 25m is more than sufficient in my experience. 160% efficiency to help support the ability spam. 

I've tried a few different helminth abilities in place of Elude. Warcry is a fair bit of fun, but it does need a bit of duration, and you might find fitting the augment into your build to be a bit tricky. Gloom is of course a strong option.

As for the whole combo/bloodrush/gladiator interaction; in practice, you'll probably get your combo to max quickly just using your normal melee. Then when you switch to your fists, you'll start pumping out waves which will naturally do an absurd amount of damage. However, due to the weird interaction, if you hit something with your fists (i.e. not the waves), that'll reset the bloodrush buff (since your fists combo is now used in the calculation). This is perhaps the most common complaint/bug regarding Baruuk. For this reason, I don't bother with that aspect of it any more.

That means you use either melee combo counter or DW combo counter. Both doesnt work. One resets the other. In the former case after building melee combo up switch and use DW, but need to switch back to melee to maintain the counter. In the latter case you have to build DW combo with physical contact and dont need to switch to melee. Is that correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 2021-10-12 at 2:36 AM, jzshbnsl said:

Make her feel uncomfortable

lol thanks for the tips. Anyway thanks for your (and the others on this thread) now I really like Baruuk after forma and stuff.

 

18 hours ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

As for the whole combo/bloodrush/gladiator interaction; in practice, you'll probably get your combo to max quickly just using your normal melee. Then when you switch to your fists, you'll start pumping out waves which will naturally do an absurd amount of damage. However, due to the weird interaction, if you hit something with your fists (i.e. not the waves), that'll reset the bloodrush buff (since your fists combo is now used in the calculation). This is perhaps the most common complaint/bug regarding Baruuk. For this reason, I don't bother with that aspect of it any more.

Thank for this explanation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, sif_oo said:

That means you use either melee combo counter or DW combo counter. Both doesnt work. One resets the other. In the former case after building melee combo up switch and use DW, but need to switch back to melee to maintain the counter. In the latter case you have to build DW combo with physical contact and dont need to switch to melee. Is that correct?

It's a little weird, unfortunately. 

Let's say I've got my normal combo to x12 then activate exalted fists, I.e. bloodrush is x11. Then I accidentally hit something with my fists, so bloodrush is now 0. If I switch back to normal melee, let's say combo is now x11. I start swinging to get combo back up. Instead of bloodrush coming back on at x11, it shows x1.

So basically, the combo counter is now completely out of sync with bloodrush/gladiator buff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 minutes ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

It's a little weird, unfortunately. 

Let's say I've got my normal combo to x12 then activate exalted fists, I.e. bloodrush is x11. Then I accidentally hit something with my fists, so bloodrush is now 0. If I switch back to normal melee, let's say combo is now x11. I start swinging to get combo back up. Instead of bloodrush coming back on at x11, it shows x1.

So basically, the combo counter is now completely out of sync with bloodrush/gladiator buff.

The interaction you're seeing with Blood Rush is bugged. It should not retain the Blood Rush multiplier at all when switching to Desert Wind. At least this is a beneficial bug if you manage to avoid physically hitting enemies with fists. It should get fixed though. DE fix your buggy game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...