Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does everybody hate hydroid?

(PSN)Reaper330011

Everywhere I go most people are talking about how hydroid is absolute trash…. But it doesn’t seem like that. Everyone just thinks he’s a “farming frame” but he has a lot of other uses.

1. Very good crowd control in all levels, satisfactory damage in origin system, augment can basically kill anything. 
2. Arguably the worst ability. Minor crowd control, okay damage, good for travelling.

3. Okay damage, heals allies with augments, basically makes you immortal while your a puddle, slow damage increase (one time it bugged and went from 100 damage to 3k). Immobilises enemies and good for disabling a high priority target. 

4. The most fun ability. Basically a nuke, very satisfying damage, amazing crowd control, very good drop chances (good farming) with augment, works well with first ability, etc.

How come everyone says hes trash? It seems like everyone hates frames that can’t do OP damage…. 

His abilities are slow and clunky, his farming potential was stolen by khora who also kills the enemies she CC's much easier and his extra drop doesnt even stack with khora's. There really isnt much to like about him other than the pirate theme. Invincibility is useless if it makes it so you basically cannot act.

23 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

1. Very good crowd control in all levels, satisfactory damage in origin system, augment can basically kill anything. 

The Status Rework really hurt this Ability... It used to be Amazing but now it's just so bad....

24 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

2. Arguably the worst ability. Minor crowd control, okay damage, good for travelling.

Really ? This is the worst one 🤔 ?

I don't know.... I kinda like that he can just Reposition Himself Willy Nilly like that....

25 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

3. Okay damage, heals allies with augments, basically makes you immortal while your a puddle, slow damage increase (one time it bugged and went from 100 damage to 3k). Immobilises enemies and good for disabling a high priority target

This Ability is the Worst one... It's bad for all the same reasons Inaros's Devour (Om-Nom-Nom) is bad...

26 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

4. The most fun ability. Basically a nuke, very satisfying damage, amazing crowd control, very good drop chances (good farming) with augment, works well with first ability, etc

You must be over the age of 18 to use this Ability 😱 !!!

27 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

How come everyone says hes trash? It seems like everyone hates frames that can’t do OP damage…

Not at all... I think Hydroid's Biggest Problem is that it takes WAAAAAAY too long to Cast his first and Last Abilities to Maximum Effect.... He's completey Out Classed by my Booben who can Plonk down his CC in less than 2 Seconds..... Hell Booben's First Ability is completely Autonomous (which I don't like) so even though it doesn't have the Same Coverage as Hydroid's Rain... It's still a way better use of energy since it literally just goes out and does the work for you (again... I don't like that it does this)....

The first step to fixing Hydroid would be to Speed up his Cast Times... And increase his Abilities Duration... Then we can Re-evaluate from there .

17 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

I don't think anyone is talking or even thinking about Hydroid.

Indeed... It's not that we hate him.... We just forgot he was there 😝...

14 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

His abilities are slow and clunky, his farming potential was stolen by khora who also kills the enemies she CC's much easier and his extra drop doesnt even stack with khora's. There really isnt much to like about him other than the pirate theme. Invincibility is useless if it makes it so you basically cannot act.

Khora can cc, but not the same way hydroid does.

his abilities take like 3 seconds to charge. Tentacles are basically a nuke and lived up to the description. It wreaks absolute havoc.

actually he reminds me a bit more of Cthulhu instead of a pirate. 

true but it gives you time to Regen your shields and breath… or go use the toilet or smth. 

the mentality of most players in this game is, if it's not killing 100+ lvl enemies then it's trash. me personally just think there are frames you enjoy and you don't. 

also another argument would be that nekros and khora now became the default resource farming frame, since khora can dps and rest 2 are mostly wisp and speedva. i don't see hydriod becoming a part of this group. so in terms of recommendation hydriod might fail, but is he trash? i don't think so. its just you don't know how to play is all i can say to those people.

3 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

This Ability is the Worst one... It's bad for all the same reasons Inaros's Devour (Om-Nom-Nom) is bad...

No it’s king of camping in disruption. Just wait at a console and when they come you just baptize them.

You must be over the age of 18 to use this Ability 😱 !!!

Why?

4 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

The first step to fixing Hydroid would be to Speed up his Cast Times... And increase his Abilities Duration... Then we can Re-evaluate from there .

23 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

I agree with this but primed continuity handles the duration….

no really, I used it. It works.

4 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

the mentality of most players in this game is, if it's not killing 100+ lvl enemies then it's trash. me personally just think there are frames you enjoy and you don't. 

Yep. Everyone has a different playstyle but when I ask most people very few say the word “fun” or “good”. 

and also I don’t like that mentality.

5 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

also another argument would be that nekros and khora now became the default resource farming frame, since khora can dps and rest 2 are mostly wisp and speedva. i don't see hydriod becoming a part of this group. so in terms of recommendation hydriod might fail, but is he trash? i don't think so. its just you don't know how to play is all i can say to those people.

This.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

I mean out of all 4 in general usefulness it’s the worst in his kit in my personal opinion.

I used to use it to Toss Enemies into his Tentacles which was the main Reason I was playing Hydroid at the time... So to me it was WAAAAAAAAY more useful than Puddle Mode...

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

No it’s king of camping in disruption. Just wait at a console and when they come you just baptize them.

Yeah but....doesn't that take forever 😱 ?

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

Why?

Unfortunately I can't say without Breaking the Forum Rules 😱 !!!

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

I agree with this but primed continuity handles the duration….

no really, I used it. It works

It's still too short with Primed Continuity....

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

Yep. Everyone has a different playstyle but when I ask most people very few say the word “fun” or “good”. 

then you are asking people who already had played 1-2 years in the game, i rather ask new players for "fun" since they actually playing for what seems fun rather than thinking of efficiently killing 100+lvl enemies. 

i'm 4-5 years old player- for me the fun is yareli.. cuz no one is playing her for damage or support. also oberon's 4th is badass to me, "drop that B1tch_ass!!" feels amazing even though it will only kill starchar level enemies. 

Just now, Lutesque said:

used to use it to Toss Enemies into his Tentacles which was the main Reason I was playing Hydroid at the time... So to me it was WAAAAAAAAY more useful than Puddle Mode...

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

True…. Then again, preference.

1 minute ago, Lutesque said:

Yeah but....doesn't that take forever 😱 ?

Sorry I meant interception… not sure if puddle works on demolishers.just stand at the console, once they start shooting you, enter puddle mode, grab them with a tentacle and baptise them. Not that long.

4 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

It's still too short with Primed Continuity....

eh… could use a buff but it’s OK.  remember constitution and Augur message exists.

Unfortunately I can't say without Breaking the Forum Rules 😱 !!!

9 minutes ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

Pm me in forums private chat?

2 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

oberon's 4th is badass to me, "drop that B1tch_ass!!" feels amazing even though it will only kill starchar level enemies. 

Edited 1 minute ago by Dauggie

100% agree. Decent damage, alot of fun.

i take fun over efficiency. 

3 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

then you are asking people who already had played 1-2 years in the game, i rather ask new players for "fun" since they actually playing for what seems fun rather than thinking of efficiently killing 100+lvl enemies

Smaaaart.

18 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

^^ This.

To put this in other words. It's not that Hydroid is bad, it's that other frames are just better.

If we're talking about "fun", than people who say Hydroid is bad is simply wrong. No one can tell you what is fun, you make fun yourself and if you like playing something unpopular than more power to you.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

i take fun over efficiency. 

That is basically why hydriod has a bad rep, he's very slow and his niche of farming has been taken over by khora and nekros. His 4th cc is mediocre, zephyr does the same kind of cc but your damage is amped many times over in tornedos. Everything he does other frames do better

If you enjoy him then you shouldn't really care if the frame has bad rep, fun is subjective afterall, you do you good sir  

3 minutes ago, FrostedMike said:

one can tell you what is fun, you make fun yourself and if you like playing something unpopular than more power to you.

^^^

4 minutes ago, FrostedMike said:

It's not that Hydroid is bad, it's that other frames are just better.

I could argue that every frame is unique and different in its own way.

nobody can crowd control the way hydroid does (even if it’s less efficient),

no frame can spawn tentacles with a melee slam attack,

no frame can turn into a puddle except hydroid.

he may be less efficient than some other frames but it depends on what we are talking about…

but I just don’t see why people call him “useless” and why he “can’t do anything”…

il y a 30 minutes, (PSN)Reaper330011 a dit :

Everywhere I go most people are talking about how hydroid is absolute trash…. But it doesn’t seem like that. Everyone just thinks he’s a “farming frame” but he has a lot of other uses.

I agree. I love Hydroid, he is good on regular missions, but on high level Steel Path, he suffers from his outdated abilities' mechanics : charging his abilities is not really good, and he lacks some ability duration, mostly for his 1st.

il y a 33 minutes, (PSN)Reaper330011 a dit :

True for Grineer. Even 180 Heavy gunners dies from Corroding Barragestatus effect and damage. The problem is that this ability has a range cap at 10m and lacks duration.

il y a 35 minutes, (PSN)Reaper330011 a dit :

It's not at all the worse, it's a very good ability : Hydroid is a synergy frame and his abilities must be used together : his 3rd must work with his 2nd to trap a maximum of enemies, and launching his 4th and 1st keep the trapped enemies on the tentacles and receiving damage (and corrosive status). This is great, but the problem is that you can't have 2 Tentacle Swarm at the same time and Tentacle number is limited to 20, but you'll have to deal with much more than 20 enemies at the same time (even though tentacles can trap multiple enemies, it doesn't work as intended). In addition to this, using all 4 abilities to kill a bunch of enemies requires a lot of energy.

Hydroid's 2nd costs a lot in terms of energy for what it does nonetheless. And it would be nice to control it's movement, just like Lavo's Vial Rush (the ice dash).

il y a 41 minutes, (PSN)Reaper330011 a dit :

3. Okay damage, heals allies with augments, basically makes you immortal while your a puddle, slow damage increase (one time it bugged and went from 100 damage to 3k).
Immobilises enemies and good for disabling a high priority target. 

This ability is not to be used alone, but in synergy with others, mostly Hydroid's 2nd. Energy drain is high and you nedd nome efficiency not to lose your enery too fast. This ability needs a rework urgently. It's healing is not enough and outdated compared to more recent healing mechanics (Magus Restore as an exemple). This being said, it's a nice ability, but it only works well in synergy. Used alone is boring.

il y a 46 minutes, (PSN)Reaper330011 a dit :

4. The most fun ability. Basically a nuke, very satisfying damage, amazing crowd control, very good drop chances (good farming) with augment, works well with first ability, etc

It'a a great ability, but it has this cap of 20 tentacles. It synergizes with Hydroid's passive and with Undertow, which givesa 200% bonus damage to the tentacles, but it lacks duration and tentacles need more effective capture range, as very often the tentacles don't capture enemies that come near to hem (into the capture range). It's really a good farming ability though.

Hydroid's 4th is a nuke ability just in low level missions, just like Banshee's 4th with augment (effective up to level 40 enemies).

There is a very simple thing that could make Hydroid better : eliminate the charging mechanics from his abilities and give them their max range, damage and stats at the cast. At the same time, a balance in term of energy cost would be nice.

Hydroid is intended to be a Crowd Control, support and Farming frame, but he lacks survivability in high livel missions, and it's very sad. It's his 2nd and 3rd that keeps him alive, but they need a little rework.

Hope Hydroid will get soon a rework, because he really deserve it. I love Hydroid and he has everything to be a very good frame.

5 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

Hope Hydroid will get soon a rework, because he really deserve it. I love Hydroid and he has everything to be a very good frame.

I doubt he will…. But I would beg for it.

5 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

True for Grineer. Even 180 Heavy gunners dies from Corroding Barragestatus effect and damage. The problem is that this ability has a range cap at 10m and lacks duration.

So to sum up for a rework:

more range.

more duration.

charge is actually understandable, maybe make it faster, like 1 second perhaps? 

Sprinkle a bit more damage,

maybe add a bit of scaling….

don’t make too much changes that will ruin the fun…

Archived