Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How tf do I kill acolytes quickly?

FlerpDish

Question

It's so damn hard to kill them. Even if I strip 100% of their armor. They still just out tank me and when I slip up a tiny bit I just get 1 shot. It's just so damn frustrating. There's just no goddamn counterplay to getting one shot other than playing frames that literally don't die (Nidus, Wukong, etc). I've watched guides on how to build powerful weapons, and how they apparently work well vs acolytes and steel path, but those setups never work well when I actually use them. Acolytes still take ages to kill, and my weapons does next to no damage.

So any tips? Acolytes are honestly making me rage harder than I did back when I played LoL lmao.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

I think I use Bleeding Willow which is Pretty Slow...but since we can make Zaws I just made one with less damage and more speed..... Plus I like Bleeding Willow's Animations way more 😝...

Bleeding Willow and Shimmering Blight have THE EXACT SAME basic attacks, just different names.

2 hours ago, FlerpDish said:

fFNPN1u.jpgYuU7yMl.jpg

Also have a Vastilok, which I tried to use instead of the Guandao.

1 hour ago, FlerpDish said:

QMIO7Cc.jpg

Yeah I can see where your damage output issues are coming from

For one thing, your mods aren't maxed out. That would already be a problem if you were using Primed Pressure Point and Hell's Chamber, but remember that Sacrificial Pressure and Galvanized Hell are WEAKER than PPP and HC. So that's not one, but two reductions to your base damage.

Secondly, Fury isn't very good, you could swap that out for more damage

13 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

remember that Sacrificial Pressure and Galvanized Hell are WEAKER than PPP and HC

Galv Hell is quite a bit stronger than Hell's Chamber once at full "spool up" strength.

I'm more concerned about having ONLY on-kill-triggered +Base Damage effects,
if fighting an Acolyte takes a bit for OP then running out of stacks might be a thing.

16 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Secondly, Fury isn't very good, you could swap that out for more damage

+Attack Speed is plenty good for more damage, not least on a not-super-fast-by-default weapon like Guano Guandao Prime.

But yeah, maybe not basic Fury, try to look into Quickening / Berserker Fury maybe, @FlerpDish

54 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Galv Hell is quite a bit stronger than Hell's Chamber once at full "spool up" strength.

Once at full spool-up, that's the critical point here. Against an acolyte one-on-one, you don't always have that

56 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

+Attack Speed is plenty good for more damage, not least on a not-super-fast-by-default weapon like Guano Guandao Prime.

I dunno... in my experience* attack speed is a stat with diminishing returns. And Guandao Prime's base speed of 1, with the inherently-fast Shimmering Blight stance, that sounds to me like it has enough hits-per-second already

*There are two philosophies to stat buffs. If it's an additive stat, you want to "add more to what you have less of" to avoid diminishing returns. If it's a multiplicative stat, you want to "add more to what you have more of" to invoke exponential returns. Attack speed uses a combination of multiplicative buffs and additive buffs, but Fury is an additive buff...

5 hours ago, McCIoud said:

Heavy attacks with forced slash procs make quick work of them (scythes, nikanas, glaives)

Wait... You actually go to them and hit them in the face ? 😲 I literally just keep my Distance and shoot them from afar....

5 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

Learn your enemy. Seriously, go read up what each of them do. Then you'll know what to avoid

The only one that requires Research I think is Malice.... And even then since he cheats It will only help so much....

5 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

It's nice because you can focus on staying out of their way,

Yeah they Ragdoll you pretty freaking hard if you let them get too close....and it hurts like a mother #_@$$_#.

4 hours ago, FlerpDish said:

Had been using Ignis Wraith for Steel Path before, so here's the build I ran.

You really should stop using this Weapon.. like For Anything... 🤔... I literally only use it to Smash Open Containers in Syndicate/Sabotage Missions.

5 hours ago, FlerpDish said:

So any tips?

Just one.... 

Warframe Buffs....

Acolytes are Immune to CC Abilities but they are still susceptible to Damage and Debuffing Abilities.... 

I have three different Strategies for the Three Different Warframe's I use on The Steel Path... 

For Booben I just Drop some Tesla Nervos and a Bastille.... Normally Acolytes can't be Distracted but it seems like the Tesla's Are causing the Acolytes to behave Strangely.... It's like they're almost bothered by Them.

For my Ivara I put up an Empowered Dashwire, Activate Prowl and then Toss my Glaive... Assuming I have it with me... If I'm using my Telos Boltace I just shoot the Acolyte with whatever is in my Hands at the Time....

For Maggy I just use Magnetize.... For Magnetize to work Properly you actually have to use a Special Loadout for it.... Projectile Weapons with Punchthrough....

Using my Daikyu with Shred (for a Total of 4 Meters of Punchthrough) I can Two Shot Acolytes if they get caught in the Bubble....

Be warned.... Abilities become less and less effective when used on Acolytes multiple times ... So ensure that you don't need more than 2 Casts to make your Kill....

Also watch out for Malice....

I'm using Vazarin so I can just Hit myself with Protective Dash  if I'm really concerned about Malice's Bull @##_.

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I dunno... in my experience* attack speed is a stat with diminishing returns.

If you use multiple Mods for that, sure.

The same is true of pretty much any DPS multiplier.

Guandao Prime's base speed of 1, with the inherently-fast Shimmering Blight stance, that sounds to me like it has enough hits-per-second already

"Sounds to me"? Did you actually try a Polearm at 1.0 Attack Speed? Because those feel pretty sluggish to me.

It's quite feasible to keep up your Melee button mashing with a single Attack Speed Mod added
(unlike, say, Semi-Auto Dual Secondaries where you'd need a firing macro or risk destroying your finger lol).

Plus not least, it's not just a large chunk of raw DPS that you're adding with a single Mod,
more hits per second also means more Status effects, faster Combo build up, and whatnot.

Attack speed uses a combination of multiplicative buffs and additive buffs, but Fury is an additive buff...

No clue what you're trying to say here.

Fury multiplies the Attack Speed value.

If that doesn't fall under your definition of multiplicative buff, then I don't even

2 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

"Sounds to me"? Did you actually try a Polearm at 1.0 Attack Speed? Because those feel pretty sluggish to me

I think I use Bleeding Willow which is Pretty Slow...but since we can make Zaws I just made one with less damage and more speed..... Plus I like Bleeding Willow's Animations way more 😝...

19 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

first of all.. calm down, my man 😄
beating aco is easy. but it would be wasteful if you get banned later for surrendering to rage or slipped a curse word.

back to topic, i took a quick video to demonstrate the importance of procs in SP. pardon the trash resolution, want to get it up fast. but it's short don't worry.

watch his health. as you can see he died from just the procs.
could've been faster if i actually do anything.

your melee build screams normal starchart instead of SP. capacity hogging umbral -on top of being unmaxed mods, whooping three elements, overlapping base damage mods...
personally i'd take off at least sacrificial pressure and volcanic edge -or use just heat and take off viral instead. replace sacrificial pressure with blood rush. if you don't have primed fury, berserker fury is better. prime enemies using your guns, and try to build up some combo before aco spawns.
bubonico is decent in SP, but it needs A LOT of investments. at the very least a maxed primary merciless arcane. and ignis wraith is one of those weapons who do absolutely awesome in normal starchart, but falls pretty hard on SP. it'll need even more investments to be useable.

good luck, tenno.

Thank you for the suggestion :D

Getting 1 shot by Mania after bringing them down to 10% hp is really tilting. 😓

Yeah, I'm missing a bunch of the melee mods, so time to grind some necralisk bounties lmao. So at the very least I should try and get Weeping Wounds and Blood Rush, correct? And to either go pure heat or pure viral on my guandao.

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

No clue what you're trying to say here.

Fury multiplies the Attack Speed value.

If that doesn't fall under your definition of multiplicative buff, then I don't even

I checked the wiki, and no it doesn't. Fury adds +0.35 attack speed, as opposed to multiplying the attack speed by 1.35

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

I checked the wiki, and no it doesn't. Fury adds +0.35 attack speed, as opposed to multiplying the attack speed by 1.35

Uh ... wat.

Could you provide a link to where you found that info?

Because it's certainly not matching up with what I'm seeing:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Fury

Fury is a mod that increases the attack speed of a melee weapon by 5% per rank for a maximum of 30% at rank 5.

31 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Uh ... wat.

Could you provide a link to where you found that info?

Because it's certainly not matching up with what I'm seeing:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Fury

Fury is a mod that increases the attack speed of a melee weapon by 5% per rank for a maximum of 30% at rank 5.

The Attack Speed page. It has this formula
28618d3b80650fca6efe5e31a84b036e6f4e4325
This means Fury is +0.30, not 130%.

That being said, the Attack Speed page lists Berserk Fury as an exception, yet the Berserk Fury page claims it's not an exception. So clearly someone's wires are crossed somewhere

Personally this is how I do it

For example, Here comes some acolyte and I am speed volt (low health, no augment, low shields) immediately what I do is keep distance and make sure to use full potential of parkour (bullet jumping, wall jumping, wall latching, gliding and etc) so I can dodge anything that's coming my way. As for offense I just use any high damaging weapon that I like (mostly primaries) like kuva zarr or proboscis cernos.

Keep in mind that I am on sedna as of now and I know only 1 acolytes ability, so just by keeping distance with parkour and dealing good damage you can take care of them pretty easy.

but like everyone else in this thread I'd also advise you to learn your enemy 

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

The Attack Speed page. It has this formula
28618d3b80650fca6efe5e31a84b036e6f4e4325
This means Fury is +0.30, not 130%.

Fury is a multiplier to the base Attack Speed. It's not a flat increase.

That " Base Weapon Attack Speed x (1 + Attack Speed Bonuses) " there means you multiply the Attack Speed by 1.3.

It does not mean you simply add 0.3 (that just happens to be the increase you get when your Attack Speed is exactly 1.0).

Like ... just try it in game. Take a weapon with a base Attack Speed that's not 1.0 and look at what Fury does. It will not just always add 0.3.

59 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

That " Base Weapon Attack Speed x (1 + Attack Speed Bonuses) " there means you multiply the Attack Speed by 1.3.

You and I are reading the same equation completely differently, yet getting the same result: Attack speed mods are additive to the total bonus, then the total bonus is multiplicative to the base

I will admit I had to test a second time because my first test threw up a false negative. When testing on the Furax Wraith I calculated 1.40 by rounding down, while the game got 1.41 by rounding up. I know for a fact that's the game's rounding error rather than mine, but it doesn't happen with any other combination of speed mods so it's just a weird corner case that threw me off

This doesn't really change my original argument, because the same formula is used for Serration and Arcane Merciless/Deadhead/Dexterity: they stack additively to each other, then stack multiplicatively with everything else. This has lead to a lot of uber top level builders dropping Serration for Bane of X, because two multiplicatives are better than one. Same thing with speed mods.

17 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Bleeding Willow and Shimmering Blight have THE EXACT SAME basic attacks, just different names.

Aren't their Combos Different ?

I remember one Irritating Thing about Shimmering Blight was how it's combos kept moving me forward when I didn't want to...

6 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

If you gave us your existing loadout (with mods) we might be able to help you better.

But the core is "do lots of damage" , pick the suitable element and weapon to do effective damage. 

They also have a stack limit on status so status heavy weapons that rely on procs will be a lot less effective.

Note that not all acolytes are the same , some are tougher with abilities that could feel like cheating if you are not aware of it.

Ex.

Malice casts magnetize which redirects all damage from projectiles back to you.

Violence casts silence that removes all your abilities and their effects ,

Mania casts turbulence which will stop any projectiles reaching it.

The others don't have abilities that are as effective or noteworthy but are still strong.

So know your enemy before you engage.

fFNPN1u.jpgYuU7yMl.jpg

Also have a Vastilok, which I tried to use instead of the Guandao.

1 minute ago, McCIoud said:

Heavy attacks with forced slash procs make quick work of them (scythes, nikanas, glaives)

Does the Guandao have the forced slash procs? Or do I have to just suck it up and get a Glaive prime (I hate using glaives lol).

16 minutes ago, FlerpDish said:

Acolytes still take ages to kill, and my weapons does next to no damage.

Well clearly the answer is that you're not dealing enough damage. Case in point,

9 minutes ago, FlerpDish said:

Does the Guandao have the forced slash procs?

The Guandao Not-Prime sucks. You need to upgrade your arsenal, by the sound of it

If you gave us your existing loadout (with mods) we might be able to help you better.

But the core is "do lots of damage" , pick the suitable element and weapon to do effective damage. 

They also have a stack limit on status so status heavy weapons that rely on procs will be a lot less effective.

Note that not all acolytes are the same , some are tougher with abilities that could feel like cheating if you are not aware of it.

Ex.

Malice casts magnetize which redirects all damage from projectiles back to you.

Violence casts silence that removes all your abilities and their effects ,

Mania casts turbulence which will stop any projectiles reaching it.

The others don't have abilities that are as effective or noteworthy but are still strong.

So know your enemy before you engage.

Archived