Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Helminth Empower math check

FadeToNull

Question

From the wiki...

Expend 25 Energy to increase the Ability Strength of your next ability cast, granting it a 20% / 30% / 40% / 50% additive Ability Strength bonus

If my modded power strength is 200 and I cast Empower, my next cast will be at...

200 + (200 * 0.5) == 300 power strength

Is that correct?

5 hours ago, FadeToNull said:

Why mention "percent?"

Because that's how those stats are listen in the arsenal. Strength, duration, range and efficiency are all %'s, they're not "100", they're "100%". They modify your abilities based on those listed percentages. 

"Empower +50" doesn't make sense. It's kinda like saying "I walked 1,000 today". "1,000" what? Steps, meters, kilometres? You still need the units for context.

Warframe makes you do a lot of math if you want to truly understand many of the mechanics. 

6 hours ago, Lutesque said:

This....

At first I thought it was dumb but it's pretty good I just wish the Animation was more Mobile.... You can't cast it while Running...

Not to go off-topic too much, but one small workaround I have for stationary ability casts like Empower (Or all of Mirage's abilities, etc.) is to bullet jump in the direction I'm going and immediately cast the abilities I need, since I'm still moving at least somewhat in that direction.

• Or if I'm using the AW to fly somewhere quickly for a bounty, etc., then I may quick melee to exit AW mode and cast my abilities as I free-fall to the location. I recently discovered you can start an aim glide during those ability cast animations! Well, the staying-aloft part that is; It's good for covering distance fast in this case.
    Spoiler

LoathsomeLawfulApisdorsatalaboriosa-size

It's not that much faster, but it still helps if I need to get on top of another floor (In some tilesets) while preparing for whatever's next. Just a small way to multitask when getting around, heh! Although I think Empower could be changed to cross both arms & quickly pull them back, as an upper-body Kaioken animation.

So it adds 50 to your power strength.

Then why not just say that? Why mention "percent?" That's what threw me off. (Not some greedy lust for Ultimate Power as a few suggested.)

The ability description is perverse. It should read, "Increases the ability strength of your next cast by 50."

Imagine if this were the description:

Increases the strength of your next cast by 50% of your unmodded ability strength

Is it accurate? Yes. Is it a good way to describe what the ability does? Only if you're a psychopath.

22 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

Then why not just say that? Why mention "percent?" That's what threw me off. (Not some greedy lust for Ultimate Power as a few suggested.)

The ability description is perverse. It should read, "Increases the ability strength of your next cast by 50."

Increases the strength of your next cast by 50% of your unmodded ability strength

Is it accurate? Yes. Is it a good way to describe what the ability does? Only if you're a psychopath.

That is what is confusing me in this thread. The description really needs to be reworded. There is no need for the percent word being in the description.

29 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

It says 50% because Power Strength is listed in % on the Arsenal. Increases the strength by 50% is perfectly fine. Because that's what it is doing. 

It may be confusing to some people but a simple test in the simulacrum or in the field will show that it is not adding 50% of your modified power strength. 

Personally I never found this to be confusing. What's more, I think it is a little funny that you came into this confused when you directly cited the wiki entry that states it is additive. I think before you make silly claims like psychopaths are the only ones that can understand this stuff, you read the information you're researching carefully. Because the answer to your question was included IN your question prior to you getting it all mixed up with magic-math.

10 hours ago, Leqesai said:

With specific builds it is a really useful ability. It is how I am able to pull high range + nearly max slow with sevagoth.

really useful on Equinox for me - let me drop Energy Conversion so that Pacifist / Peaceful Provocation could still hit the cap but be slightly less convoluted to use 😂
plus woo, extra Mod Slot.

i considered adding Gloom instead but the math said that Gloom + Peaceful Provocation would not be more effective and generally a bit less effective than Empower, while adding more sources of Energy Drain.

1 hour ago, FadeToNull said:

it's saying it in Percentage because when you look at your Stats in the Arsenel, they're reported in Percentages.
would i prefer if Ability Stats were expressed in Multiplier form? yes. but they are not.

4 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Personally I never found this to be confusing

And I did. So, to clear it up, I posted a question. Now I understand it.

In my view, a perfect outcome on Players Helping Players.

Yet you seem discontented. What part of that troubles you?

13 hours ago, Lutesque said:

This....

At first I thought it was dumb but it's pretty good I just wish the Animation was more Mobile.... You can't cast it while Running...

I thought it was cool, personally.  Spend more energy to power up actually useful abilities.  I don't think it's too useful on single cast abilities like Inferno, not because it's not good, but because just like charge abilities it breaks flow up too much.  But with channeled or certain duration abilities, I think it's great, especially since there are so many frames that have a dead skill.

But yes, it absolutely should be cast while running.  

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

Empower is 50% Power Strength. nothing crazy there.

it's basically Energy Conversion on an Ability Button rather than a Mod.

This....

1 hour ago, FadeToNull said:

And I did. So, to clear it up, I posted a question. Now I understand it.

In my view, a perfect outcome on Players Helping Players.

Yet you seem discontented. What part of that troubles you?

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Empower

Not trying to be a jerk but a quick check of the wiki and you would have answered your own question in 30 seconds. 

That's faster than you could make a post and wait for the correct answer. 

I guess this is more of a players helping players help themselves kind of situation. 

24 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

Not trying to be a jerk

And yet you nailed it. Perfectly.

25 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

a quick check of the wiki and you would have answered your own question in 30 seconds

A quick check of my question shows I did exactly that. How can you tell? Because I quoted the wiki.

Not only that, I included a link to the same info you linked to try to shame me.

52 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

I guess this is more of a players helping players help themselves kind of situation

No actually it's more of a players attacking players for absolutely no reason situation.

But you were close!

5 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

A quick check of my question shows I did exactly that. How can you tell? Because I quoted the wiki.

Not only that, I included a link to the same info you linked to try to shame me.

No actually it's more of a players attacking players for absolutely no reason situation.

But you were close!

Your question was answered, just move on dude. You arent helping with your rude responses.

27 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

But you were close!

Good job checking the wiki. You might want to actually read it next time. 

xOp4Wre.png

1 hour ago, Berzerkules said:

Good job checking the wiki. You might want to actually read it next time.

Good job using MS Paint. You might want to read the question.

You keep swinging at me and punching yourself instead. If you read the question, that might stop happening. (Anything's possible, I guess.)

Focus on the equation in my question. Specifically this number: 0.5

Anyway, I'm not here to bicker and you clearly are. So you keep typing and I'll block you. Everybody wins.

3 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Empower

Not trying to be a jerk but a quick check of the wiki and you would have answered your own question in 30 seconds. 

That's faster than you could make a post and wait for the correct answer. 

I guess this is more of a players helping players help themselves kind of situation. 

Some people just would rather ask other people than look something up.  There have been times (few with Warframe's wiki, but many with other games.) where the wiki has said a thing and it still wasn't clear and I had to go ask and someone was like "just check the wiki hurr."  and it's annoying every time.  Now, it's clear here, and I'm the type to check the wiki first, but others aren't.  If I don't want to answer questions, I don't, but I don't tell them to go look it up themselves either because we're all free to ask.

My alliance leader has an unwritten rule where no questions are allowed to be answered with a snarky "wiki has ur answer" type reply.  Especially from the mods in our alliance.  Xbox Warframe has a few DE appointed chat mods that do this and it drives me nuts.  Answer it, or keep it moving.  I have the exact same philosophy, but I'm also the guy that sits in QA and answers questions while I'm waiting on my coffee to finish brewing between missions.  Everybody learns different, or wants a different type of confirmation on an answer.  "Teach yourself" is almost never helpful because the people that will, already are.  I'm not going to argue with you if you respond, so take that automatic W if you want to fight about it.  Just trying to throw out a different perspective.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Some people just would rather ask other people than look something up.  There have been times (few with Warframe's wiki, but many with other games.) where the wiki has said a thing and it still wasn't clear and I had to go ask and someone was like "just check the wiki hurr."  and it's annoying every time.  Now, it's clear here, and I'm the type to check the wiki first, but others aren't.  If I don't want to answer questions, I don't, but I don't tell them to go look it up themselves either because we're all free to ask.

My alliance leader has an unwritten rule where no questions are allowed to be answered with a snarky "wiki has ur answer" type reply.  Especially from the mods in our alliance.  Xbox Warframe has a few DE appointed chat mods that do this and it drives me nuts.  Answer it, or keep it moving.  I have the exact same philosophy, but I'm also the guy that sits in QA and answers questions while I'm waiting on my coffee to finish brewing between missions.  Everybody learns different, or wants a different type of confirmation on an answer.  "Teach yourself" is almost never helpful because the people that will, already are.  I'm not going to argue with you if you respond, so take that automatic W if you want to fight about it.  Just trying to throw out a different perspective.

Maybe I've been spending too much time in bonsai forums and groups. I see so many questions from beginners where they want a yes or no answer when there is no definite answer. There are so many variables to take into consideration and there is rarely enough information given to make an informed response. I got into the habit of just linking related articles and/or videos because it's faster than writing a novel and an expert can explain it better than I can. From there they can take that information and make their own decision. Most of the time people are appreciative of the fact that you are trying to point them in the right direction. Apparently this same behavior is not wanted on video game forums. 

I probably wouldn't have said anything in this thread except OP linked and quoted the wiki so I clicked link and read it. The answer to their question was literally 3 lines below what they quoted so I suggested they check it again. They were so close.

After seeing dozens of questions and doing my best to help people not kill their trees through out the day some snark my slip out on something as trivial as a video game. 

I honestly wasn't trying to be a jerk and sorry if anyone got their feeling hurt. 

39 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

From the wiki...

If my power strength is 200 and I cast Empower, my next cast will be at...

200 + (200 * 0.5) == 300 power strength

Is that correct?

No you're not correct.

Empower adds a flat 50% to the total power strength. Not 50% of your current power strength. It is a flat number. If you have 200 it goes to 250.

6 hours ago, Leqesai said:

No you're not correct.

Empower adds a flat 50% to the total power strength. Not 50% of your current power strength. It is a flat number. If you have 200 it goes to 250.

That's... literally how Empower is calculated. They're both additive.

EDIT: I'm blind. I thought you were quoting taiiat instead of the OP lmao

18 minutes ago, shut said:

That's... literally how Empower is calculated. They're both additive.

Right. This is why I clarified. Look at the original post, my dude.

The guy is asking if empower adds 50% of the modified value. In their example they ask if it means 200% sheet strength becomes 300% after using empower (200+50% of 200). 

Also... what do you mean "They're both additive" Both of what? The only thing I referenced was the ability in question. What is the other thing that makes "both" in your response?

Archived