Archon Boss fight tips for those who are stuck

On 2021-12-16 at 4:46 PM, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

Ok, I'm on the 3rd Archon (Wolf) after following Erra etc. I chose drifter thinking I'd have use of the bow. Here I am facing off against Amar with no heal/smoke/radar abilities and only the pistol drifter originally came with, is it glitched or am I supposed to fight this thing and turn off the orphic things with this underpowered handgun?

Yes, you're glitched. You're supposed to fight the third archon with your warframe and whatever normal weapon you choose to use. (In my case, I annihilated him with a 5 forma kuva hind.)

• Like 2

On 2021-12-17 at 1:06 AM, MqToasty said:

Wait, if you choose Drifter you don't get your arsenal back and have to fight the 3rd Archon with the Drifter again? How can you even maneuver in that Murex level without a Warframe or Necramech?

I chose the Operator (because try as I might, I can't get my Drifter's face to look good), and I just two-shotted Wolf with my unpotatoed Paracesis.

I chose the Drifter and got my arsenal back. Drifter's pistol suddenly started shooting like my amp and I realized it was my amp.

He's basically just an Operator skin. Barely any cosmetic options, but having the amp be an actual pistol instead of wrist toy was worth it. Void dashes also feel more fluid animation wise more akin to a bullet jump as he tucks in.

• Like 2

On 2021-12-16 at 7:15 PM, Burnsidhe said:

The bow is a very poor choice of weapon for the kind of fights the archon fights are. Bows are designed to let you take your  time, aim, and snipe from a distance. NONE of the fights are like that. The amount of damage the bow does vs. the archon's health bars is not enough; the fights are tedious even if you get everything right and if you don't, they become impossible time-wasters. The drifter does not have enough health/defenses, period.

Completely agree

• Like 1

All I think about is this. First, stopping you from doing anything but the Quest of new war was a real painful thing. I am suffering with the owl and my style in playing Quest is to take It easy and enjoy my time as can finish when I finish but this way made me hate playing the game. I jumped a lot and still whenever I hit the Owl It hits me hard and drop health no matter how much I jump pretty hard. Cos knowing now that fighting 3 rd boss gives you your weapon or warframe frame as I understood. So I will leave may be Owl to last and being with both snake and fire guy as like to call to have peace of mind. Love the info. 

• Like 3

For the Owl, I just ran around, kept shooting charged shots at it, and healed if my health dropped under 200.  I used the radar if I lost track of it for some reason.

When it starts healing itself, I just kept running straight at it and kept firing charged shots.  Eventually, one will get through, deal damage, and knock it out of the healing process.

Good luck guys!

• Like 2

On 2021-12-16 at 11:46 PM, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

Here I am facing off against Amar with no heal/smoke/radar abilities and only the pistol drifter originally came with, is it glitched or am I supposed to fight this thing and turn off the orphic things with this underpowered handgun?

Destroy the same kind of things you destroyed in the Teshin part then you get to use your warframe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out while fighting the wolf if you get up as high as you can he can't follow you and you can plug away shooting him and using restorative.  Even in the different areas get up as high as you can and it's easy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yrrej said:

I just found out while fighting the wolf if you get up as high as you can he can't follow you and you can plug away shooting him and using restorative.  Even in the different areas get up as high as you can and it's easy

I'll note that with the Snake she can follow you up levels, but the Stalker will get confused by stairs so I did lose a revive or two while sitting there watching his map icon run around like a headless chicken below me.

On 2021-12-16 at 10:14 AM, _Anise_ said:

I went against the wolf first, use the sonar ability 3 to show where the real one is = cake

How? I have spammed the sonar over and over and nothing happens. It always comes down to spamming arrows and praying I hit the right one.

16 minutes ago, EzzardPrime said:

How? I have spammed the sonar over and over and nothing happens. It always comes down to spamming arrows and praying I hit the right one.

It'll make the red arrow show up on the mini-map from what I understand

• Like 1

On 2021-12-16 at 4:12 PM, MqToasty said:

Spoiler-free tip: Fight the Owl and Snake first.  I made the mistake of picking the Wolf first, and had to quit after dying a few times (and being too hungry to continue).  When I came back, I decided to try the Owl and Snake, and it was easy enough that I got through without dying.

Minor Spoilers:

Hide contents

You only need to fight the first 2 Archons as the Drifter, and get to fight the 3rd with more powerful tools.  Also, when you fight the Wolf as the 3rd Archon, he does not use the Multiple Shadow Clone healing technique, which is total BS when all you had was a slow firing bow.

I thought it was widely known owl was the hardest one (and of course that had to be the first one i fought...), with wolf I just rolled out of every attack...

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Filgaia said:

I thought it was widely known owl was the hardest one (and of course that had to be the first one i fought...), with wolf I just rolled out of every attack...

I don't think it can really be universal which one is hardest and which is easiest. They all seemed to be around the same ballpark, but for me I had the most trouble with the wolf, as I tended not to do enough damage to it and it'd heal to full and drop out of the clone phase before I had time to find him using the tips I saw. I got the owl first try (second archon) and he gave me less trouble. But I tended to kite them around obstacles and hit them coming around corners and such, weren't many obstacles for the wolf and seemed to move more making it harder for me to land hits. Owl had that big thing you could run around, and I swear a few times the electric area attack hit an obstacle between us and triggered early. 

I think it's one of those things were depending on the way you play will make some of the archons seem tougher than others. Do wish they'd add (if they haven't yet) an abort mission option on the archons at least, so people don't have to exit the game to switch the archon they're fighting, make it easier to see what one you do best at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raanab said:

I don't think it can really be universal which one is hardest and which is easiest. They all seemed to be around the same ballpark, but for me I had the most trouble with the wolf, as I tended not to do enough damage to it and it'd heal to full and drop out of the clone phase before I had time to find him using the tips I saw. I got the owl first try (second archon) and he gave me less trouble. But I tended to kite them around obstacles and hit them coming around corners and such, weren't many obstacles for the wolf and seemed to move more making it harder for me to land hits. Owl had that big thing you could run around, and I swear a few times the electric area attack hit an obstacle between us and triggered early. 

I think it's one of those things were depending on the way you play will make some of the archons seem tougher than others. Do wish they'd add (if they haven't yet) an abort mission option on the archons at least, so people don't have to exit the game to switch the archon they're fighting, make it easier to see what one you do best at.

With wolf, I didn't even think of that radar trick, I just quickly shot clones with uncharged arrows until I hit the real one and that stopped the healing. Sure it's random, but you can tag him before he heals right up if you can't figure out that radar thing.

Mind you, I played it day 1, I didn't have anyone who help me

• Like 1

It's a bit late but I'll share how I got through the archons as well, I think most of it has been said already unfortunately. One of the unfortunate things about being unable to repeat the quest is my memory of the fights is going to be hazy, and I can't even confirm if some of the weirder things were bugs or not.

I want to preface this however, even though I got through in a few hours like the warning at the beginning said, these fights still aren't very good. If you're having trouble with them there are plenty of REASONS. Warframe has issues with the connecting tissues between animations, telegraphing, and enemy attacks. Especially fast enemy attacks with movement. This is not Dark Souls.

I killed the Owl first by kiting continuously around a tree that was to the left of the first tiles entrance. I would still occasionally explode or get caught by a lightning field, but long as you're behind a tree or other Tall Column Like Object you should be able to roll out of sight, heal, and use the smokescreen to keep yourself safe while the heal timer recharges(Bonus if it's on a small hill). Long as the object you're using to kite isn't too large you should be able to spam roll and get behind it again when he teleports sometimes.

When he does the screeching glowing orb thing to regenerate health, I'm not sure if you just need to touch your smokescreen to activate the invisible status effect and walk through, or if the smokescreen needs to be touching the outside the orb itself. Either way one of those things should let you get inside it where you can shoot and interrupt it. I think someone in another thread mentioned you don't need to use charged bow shots to interrupt it's healing, rapid shots will work as well. I've also seen multiple people say you can just spam roll into the bubble to force your way in. You might HAVE to this because multiple people have ALSO said the smokescreen did nothing for the bubble, another one of those things I wish I could check.

I killed the Wolf next. Kind of wish I hadn't but whatever ._. This was the genuinely annoying one for me. My starting title was the one with the small, wide, open bridge in the middle with two Ramparts on that raised path overlooking it. Kiting around the bridge and side had mixed results in dodging it's leap flame explosion attack that sometimes randomly does or does not hit and proc a horrible heat DOT on you and doesn't have a matching visual effect to properly distinguish it's range. This is the number one thing that makes this fight garbage, not the only thing, but probably the biggest one for me. Because of this you need to avoid getting hit by anything else to save your heal for removing the DOT and immediately going into the smokescreen. I should mention I was using the Enhanced Renderer to play through this, and I do not know what my Effects Intensity was set to. Your choice of renderer or ramping up Effects Intensity might help with important visual effects for these fights. Maybe.

In the second phase of this fight I got tired of this garbage repeating cycle and just tried to aggressively end the fight, died to the leap thing, and that's when I found out the Stalker will sometimes revive you. Sometimes. No one seems to know the exact mechanics behind if he does or doesn't revive you unfortunately, one of those things I wish I could go back and check. Either way "At least once" seems to be a safe bet, so if you're in the second phase and haven't been downed yet, it might be worth it to play less safe and try and end it before it does that freaking leap too many more times. The problem being the other attacks are also somewhat off sometimes, like when it slides across the ground diagonally. In my second tile there were rock pillars that sort of worked for kiting around but they were kind of too stubby to completely block him from sliding around them like a greased pig.

I never actually figured out the proper way to determine the real Wolf among the clones :v I felt really clever when I used the radar, the saw nothing pop out. It's been mentioned a few times that the real Wolf will show up as a red marker on the minimap after using the radar, and that he's the only copy holding weapons. I just spammed uncharged shots. I think the second tile I was a bit narrow and forced the clones to spawn in a stretched formation that might have been out of radar range.

MOST IMPORTANTLY yrrej in a few post before this mentions you can cheese the @%*)@%**)* if you get high up enough. Do that. Cheese this piece of trash. Or go do the Snake. I'll say again, it did not take me that long to get through these fights, and it did not take me that long to hate them. They aren't great, but also I'm desperate for Warframe to get back to a place where things in combat feel like they matter so I'm going to take these irritating things as an indicator we might get there one day! Just keep in mind he does have that one projectile attack, but I'm assuming he can't teleport to you if you're on uneven ground maybe? Again wish I could go back and try it myself instead of just guessing :v

Good luck to everyone still wrestling with the garbage and I hope DE implements something soon for everyone else.

• Like 1

Did Owl first. Took me a while to realise she was healing during the bubble and you can actually shoot her out of it if you're inside the bubble with her. That took way longer than necessary. Did Snake second. That was kind of challenging with the DoT's. but you can cleanse them if you play it right. Did Wolf last. I shot the wrong clones a couple times then he went invulnerable so I stacked him with 200 heat procs and he instadied when he came out of invuln state. Hah. I thought, if Sortie Alad V can be beaten this way you're sure as hell going down my friend.

On 2021-12-16 at 11:19 AM, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

Owl was dumb because you're supposed to go in the big field that has a "do not enter this" visual.
Wolf was whatever.
Snake was melted by modded weapon since I left it for last.

What do you mean

3 hours ago, (NSW)Bigirl said:

What do you mean

When Boreal (the Owl) "screams" (the expanding field with a blue electric SFX that pushes you away), you're supposed to use the drifter's smoke bomb/cloak (ability 2). This allows you to enter the field without getting pushed out and shoot it.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

When Boreal (the Owl) "screams" (the expanding field with a blue electric SFX that pushes you away), you're supposed to use the drifter's smoke bomb/cloak (ability 2). This allows you to enter the field without getting pushed out and shoot it.

I didn't even know that. I entered the field without the smoke bomb. Interesting.

On 2022-01-17 at 5:40 PM, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

Any advice on how to not get Killed by electricity from boreal