Wish Can Quit New War

Starting the quest changes a lot of aspects of the game - new characters, permanent changes to open world landscapes, new open world bounties, it introduces the drifter, gives access to the Drifter Camp, the ability to change the appearance of the Drifter and Lotus, etc - all of these things are hidden from the player until they become relevant in the quest, or until the quest is finished.

To regularly switch between two states of 'Quest is active' and 'Quest is NOT active' would potentially create a lot of game breaking bugs, or spoil things for people doing the quest for the first time (e.g if they left the quest to spend some focus points, and the operator/drifter switch was accidentally visible before they had discovered who the drifter actually was).

The open world areas having new bounties and rewards especially means that if someone pulled out of the quest after they finished Kahl's intro, but before they visited the new Fortuna; would it mean that Orb Vallis is still covered in snow, and doesn't have new bounties or scenery, but Plains of Eidolon does have them? Has Narmer not reached Fortuna yet? I thought he was meant to have taken over the entire solar system?

If the player stops the quest in the middle of Fortuna, will it temporarily go back to how it was before starting, and then turn back into the post invasion state once they start the quest again? If you stop the quest, they can't give you open world rewards for having defeated Narmer if he's still around - and since you haven't saved Fortuna yet, who is offering the bounties if everyone has been brainwashed? They would have to split the playerbase into "People who have completed TNW, people saving it right now, and people who haven't" when trying to do open world matchmaking, because the quests and rewards are different, and so is the actual physical space the missions take place in.

What if a player thinks "OH hang on, I forgot to buy something from one of the vendors. I'll have to disable the quest and go back into the normal, snowy, pre-Narmer version of Fortuna, then activate the brainwashed, melted version again to continue". People are already complaining that there is a lack of 'continuity' or that The New War does not feel impactful enough, so imagine how meaningless the experience would feel if you could say "Hold on a second, I just need to stop the entire war so that I can do some shopping."

From a programming and design perspective, it takes extra development time and testing to make sure all of these possibilities have been accounted for, and that any combination won't cause issues for anything that hasn't been unlocked or discovered yet. There are so many little variables to keep track of. If any one of them is registered incorrectly, then it potentially spoils part of the story that someone hasn't seen yet, or gives them access to things they shouldn't have (or maybe locks them out of things they should have access to). There are already bugs being reported that replaying pre-TNW quests like The Sacrifice is preventing people from being able to access their Drifter.

The easiest way to deal with these potential variables is to say 'play the whole thing until you're finished, or don't play it at all until you're definitely ready'. This is why they tell you that you can't stop once you've started, and make you type in a keyword to confirm that you understand.

Edited by TheMostFrench
  • Like 59

such an option does not currently exist, and if you ask DE support to eject you from the quest they'll tell you you should just finish it.

if you are having any trouble doing a specific part of the quest, people on this forum are always available to give you some tips and tricks on how to get through it. 

• Like 10

None right now. No offense but the game did warn you that you cant go back to your normal warframe activities when you start the quest. So either finish it which probably people will tell you to and its recommended or wait till DE make an option so people can go back to normal activities.

Edited by (PSN)sieg_valentine
  • Like 39

I think they pushed the quest out the door before finishing that bit of QoL polish, probably to be introduced when they make the quest re-playable next year.

They need to add that function, OR they need to make the quest itself literally so easy that every single player can complete it, otherwise it's a critical softlock in the game's progression that really has no point in existing as such (and the level of such difficulty as currently exists in the quest is not reflected in the warning provided at the start.)

This will obviously make "gamers" mad, that casual people are "watering down" their wonderfully difficult dark souls game... (really, do they think this quest is in any way an indicator that DE is going to make all of Warframe into this sort of difficulty? because right now, it's an outlier, not a barometer of the state of the game. It's the oddity that needs to be changed to fit the game, not the other way around. It's not compromise leading DE down a slippery slope into super easy gameplay... do they even play Warframe right now?)

Anyway... I agree that it needs a quit button, but it doesn't exist, so you'll have to struggle through it, get someone else to play it for you, or wait for the quest to be changed next year, sadly.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

I think they pushed the quest out the door before finishing that bit of QoL polish, probably to be introduced when they make the quest re-playable next year.

They need to add that function, OR they need to make the quest itself literally so easy that every single player can complete it, otherwise it's a critical softlock in the game's progression that really has no point in existing as such (and the level of such difficulty as currently exists in the quest is not reflected in the warning provided at the start.)

This will obviously make "gamers" mad, that casual people are "watering down" their wonderfully difficult dark souls game... (really, do they think this quest is in any way an indicator that DE is going to make all of Warframe into this sort of difficulty? because right now, it's an outlier, not a barometer of the state of the game. It's the oddity that needs to be changed to fit the game, not the other way around. It's not compromise leading DE down a slippery slope into super easy gameplay... do they even play Warframe right now?)

Anyway... I agree that it needs a quit button, but it doesn't exist, so you'll have to struggle through it, get someone else to play it for you, or wait for the quest to be changed next year, sadly.

stop it with the dark souls comparison.

this quest is nothing like dark souls. not even #*!%ing close. 

and yeah, the game needs to be as difficult as the quest, in fact, it's as difficult as the quest around early-game. the game is designed with this level of difficulty in mind and it's not actually that much. it's just that the player FAR outscales the content in terms of power level. 

warframe used to be much harder. and it was still a casual game. i do not see how this quest is "too hard for casuals", considering that A: it literally tells you what you need to do, B: it holds your hand more than anything else in warframe outside of the tutorial and C: the majority of the missions in the quest are LITERALLY unfailable. as in, if you die the stalker comes in and revives you. i'm not talking "they're so easy that they're practically unfailable" because yeah, there will always be someone bad enough at the game to fail even the easiest mission. i mean these missions are unfailable by design. 

the fact that people compare the super mild difficulty spike of this quest to #*!%ING DARK SOULS just shows how power creep over the years has affected the skill level of the "casual" warframe player. 

also, DE literally warned yall that you were going to be locked out. I do agree that since so many people are saying they feel stuck, there should be an option to back out (and reset quest progress). but its not like DE came completely out of nowhere to slap you with the "beat dark souls before you can play warframe again". 

• Like 61

43 minutes ago, (PSN)unlucky__me said:

and i don't want to waste hours, to play a quest i don't like, just to play the normal missions again. 

DE has said that the quest is going to be the gate for future quests. So you have to do it sooner or later if you want to do any future quests. It doesn't help your problem at all, but it is something to consider.

• Like 5

I only used the Dark Souls reference, because people supporting the difficulty already used it, in support of the difficulty. They say this is nothing as bad as Dark Souls, so don't complain... or, if you can play Dark Souls and master the dance of dodging and pattern recognition required for that, you can do this... well, Warframe IS NOT DARK SOULS, and YES, this quest can feel that tough for some players.

Surprise, there are casual players playing Warframe. (I beat the quest, first day, in 5-6hrs... but I have compassion for them.)

• Like 12

So I got stuck on the archons and was legitimately concerned I would not ever be able to play regular warframe again.  Even though I managed to get past them having the option of a "get me the heck outta here" would have made it much less stressful.  It would also not take away anything from those who don't want to use it.  I cannot for the life of me understand why there wasn't one at launch nor can I understand why so many people seem so angry at the request for one.  

On a separate note: yeah these bosses aren't anything like Dark Souls.  But I know my reaction time is poor so I stay far away from those games.  This quest requires skills (I'll even grant it isn't much skill but still some) that the entire rest of the game does not require.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, SDGDen said:

such an option does not currently exist, and if you ask DE support to eject you from the quest they'll tell you you should just finish it.

if you are having any trouble doing a specific part of the quest, people on this forum are always available to give you some tips and tricks on how to get through it. 

I did send one off to them (ive since completed TNW though) this was there response to me

Hey there tenno.

We are sorry to hear that you want to not play the quest , but please be aware that we did warn our players that once started this was a time commitment

Unfortunately we are unable to extract you from this quest, but wish you the best luck in clearing it.

Please do refer to forums or streamers for tips and tricks to clear difficult situations

Kindest regards from Warframe support team / Saludos cordiales del equipo de Warframe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bengalbird said:

I did send one off to them (ive since completed TNW though) this was there response to me

Hey there tenno.

We are sorry to hear that you want to not play the quest , but please be aware that we did warn our players that once started this was a time commitment

Unfortunately we are unable to extract you from this quest, but wish you the best luck in clearing it.

Please do refer to forums or streamers for tips and tricks to clear difficult situations

Kindest regards from Warframe support team / Saludos cordiales del equipo de Warframe.

To be fair, they did warn you. The quest really isn't that hard at all. The Dark Souls comparison above is absolutely hilarious lmao.

The only people legitimately struggling are those with motor function/physical disability issues. Everyone outside of that needs to change their approach. Use cover, use your abilities well, be patient, analyse enemy locations and routines (though even then), etc. Some parts are similar to old Metal Gear, but even then it's incredibly watered down. Don't rush in like Rambo, take your time, and you'll be fine.

Zi5qcGc

• Like 8

Oh, you young Tenno.

I want you guys who are saying "this isn't difficult, not at all like Dark Souls, blah, blah".

STOP IT.

I have been a gamer since the 70's and have played a TON of games. Due to physical limitations of my hands I can't complete the Archon fights.

Didn't think of that, did ya?

So next time you want to punch down to other players, think about how others are not as fortunate as you.

And when you get in your 50's and your body refuses to do the things it used to be able to do, so maybe have a little sympathy for your fellow Tenno? 

• Like 24

5 hours ago, SDGDen said:

stop it with the dark souls comparison.

this quest is nothing like dark souls. not even #*!%ing close. 

and yeah, the game needs to be as difficult as the quest, in fact, it's as difficult as the quest around early-game. the game is designed with this level of difficulty in mind and it's not actually that much. it's just that the player FAR outscales the content in terms of power level. 

warframe used to be much harder. and it was still a casual game. i do not see how this quest is "too hard for casuals", considering that A: it literally tells you what you need to do, B: it holds your hand more than anything else in warframe outside of the tutorial and C: the majority of the missions in the quest are LITERALLY unfailable. as in, if you die the stalker comes in and revives you. i'm not talking "they're so easy that they're practically unfailable" because yeah, there will always be someone bad enough at the game to fail even the easiest mission. i mean these missions are unfailable by design. 

the fact that people compare the super mild difficulty spike of this quest to #*!%ING DARK SOULS just shows how power creep over the years has affected the skill level of the "casual" warframe player. 

also, DE literally warned yall that you were going to be locked out. I do agree that since so many people are saying they feel stuck, there should be an option to back out (and reset quest progress). but its not like DE came completely out of nowhere to slap you with the "beat dark souls before you can play warframe again". 

"stop it with the"  the early game comparisons. From the get go..you can join a squad, join a clan, get help, get a taxi ,get all the neat/clever/spam/cheese call it whatever you want ( pretty much) from the OFF and onwards. Very Very seldom are you forced solo and almost never(?) with NO way out into the rest of the game...   ...it's there, it's IN THE GAME, it's PART OF the game, DE "sell" you ciphers as but one example ....... suddenly now .....  .The wording of the WARNING  did not clearly state  you will be locked out from all you have, had, and done FOR EVER if you cannot do this "secret" load out/set up/minimal weapons/strange character  ( after weeks of in your face marketing about all you would need, to make you stronger , get better, etc )   Enough with the victim blaming.   Come to think of it I never really seen many"I am off out of here" from the "got guiders" as the game they so patently hated in silence let power creep set in...... probably too busy selling stuff they can cheese to the noobs and strugglers.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, (PSN)Gentleman_Raven_ said:

Oh, you young Tenno.

I want you guys who are saying "this isn't difficult, not at all like Dark Souls, blah, blah".

STOP IT.

I have been a gamer since the 70's and have played a TON of games. Due to physical limitations of my hands I can't complete the Archon fights.

Didn't think of that, did ya?

So next time you want to punch down to other players, think about how others are not as fortunate as you.

And when you get in your 50's and your body refuses to do the things it used to be able to do, so maybe have a little sympathy for your fellow Tenno? 

copy that!.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

How did you get to the Archon fights to begin with? How did you get to The New War to begin with?

I started the quest, of course. A quest draped in mystery and as I was avoiding spoilers I did not know that we were going to be given a janky bow to use or I would not have started it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Numerikuu said:

To be fair, they did warn you. The quest really isn't that hard at all. The Dark Souls comparison above is absolutely hilarious lmao.

The only people legitimately struggling are those with motor function/physical disability issues. Everyone outside of that needs to change their approach. Use cover, use your abilities well, be patient, analyse enemy locations and routines (though even then), etc. Some parts are similar to old Metal Gear, but even then it's incredibly watered down. Don't rush in like Rambo, take your time, and you'll be fine.

Zi5qcGc

more of this again...."Everyone outside of that needs to change their approach. Use cover, use your abilities well, be patient, analyse enemy locations and routines (though even then), etc. Some parts are similar to old Metal Gear, but even then it's incredibly watered down. Don't rush in like Rambo, take your time, and you'll be fine. " I can only specifically speak for me...but will say this for th xth time...watched videos take hint tips tricks tried them dozens and dozens of times( yet somehow you all think you offering, well meening most of the time, this new golden bullet bit of advice) been at it since a week yesterday dozens and dozens of times, towards an hour once i went at it so slow and carefull. But I failed. I am so sorry I am such a failiure to you DE I am sorry I am such a failure to you fellow tenno. Failure in a quest stripped of my account effectively. Hopefully there are enough like me that DE see sense, or maybe the numbers, and potentialy negative feedback will filter up to TENCENT. Who knows.  FYI I just did a session ...failed for exactly same reasons as previously...eventually the AI gets me cos i am (ppbbably all or some of this) too old too slow memory crap,parkour crap, got some hand isses. Take you pick or add some genius reason of your own. Like you know me at all. 

ps I have EVEN tried using different servers to see if there is any lag/speed things that are making me (apparently) look like I am in a different version of the game compared to the youtube 6 minutes, and done, with that Boss videos.

Edited by (NSW)asbestosisgood
spelling of my own words only
  • Like 6