Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Poor performance on RTX3060 Laptop

nayorco3

Hello, first of all I apologize for my english since it's not my first language.

Now onto the topic, I am having troubles with warframe regarding performance. The game is not using my graphics card to it's fullest potential. I am  getting a steady 30-40% GPU and 30-40% CPU usage. I couldn't find any help on the forum so I had to make my own post.

I am running the game on a laptop with a RTX 3060 130W (Note: It has a MUX Switch so my integrated graphics are disabled completely) and a R7 5800H which should be more than enough to get at least 120fps+ (Note that I am getting worse performance in warframe than in games with RTX on).

My temps are fine (For a laptop ofc) and I am not getting any type of thermal throttling nor bottlenecked by the CPU (I think).

As you can see in this screen shoot https://ibb.co/yfq9sS7 I get around 60-70fps. Is anyone else having this problem?

9 hours ago, nayorco3 said:

Now onto the topic, I am having troubles with warframe regarding performance. The game is not using my graphics card to it's fullest potential. I am  getting a steady 30-40% GPU and 30-40% CPU usage. I couldn't find any help on the forum so I had to make my own post.

As you can see in this screen shoot https://ibb.co/yfq9sS7 I get around 60-70fps. Is anyone else having this problem?

GPU is waiting for the CPU.

Warframe benefits most from faster CPU cores. 60-70 looks about right for squad play (at least hectic squad play, not sure where that screenshot falls on that scale).

Switching to DX12 in the launcher may or may not help your case (i personally wouldn't atm, stutters a bit too much for me).

DX11 by default looks like this:

Spoiler

48981-command-buffer-directx11-1260x709.

It's not as neatly ordered as the graph above, but warframe looks similar:

2021-12-29-warframeqzkce.png

DX12 isn't an inherent remedy mind you, as the graph also shows, game code can still be single threaded, and DX does not help with that in any way.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my post.

Switching to DX12 in the launcher may or may not help your case (i personally wouldn't atm, stutters a bit too much for me).

I tried changing to DX12 but as you've mentioned I get really weird stutters and no improvement whatsoever on the overall experience since I still drop to low 60-70s.

GPU is waiting for the CPU.

Since the problem is on the CPU side, can I do something to improve this? Lowering the graphics should do? Since that will give the CPU more room to push FPS.

I feel like this is a bit weird since in my orbiter I do get 100% GPU utilization and can easily push 300+ FPS (I get that this is not a testing environment since there are no particles / enemies / other players). I do not expect to get that many FPS on a mission but at least I would like to push my refresh rate (120Hz) since I think my hardware in theory should do.

WF can't utilize multi core/threads efficiently so it is very likely using up your 1st and 2nd cores and not the rest very well. Not much you can do about it. I've tried everything in the past years and I'm still getting fps dips especially in squad play. 

You may try increasing the clock speed of your first 2 cores if you can but not sure if that's a smart thing to do with a laptop. 

What's your screen Hz? IF it is 60, you can us DSR and play the game at 4k 60hz with vsync on. 

Also try turning on multithreaded rendering on nvidia panel under 3d program settings and you can use adaptive sync so it caps your fps at your refresh rate.

Thank you for your response! @White_Matter

First of all, I did actually overclock both my CPU and my GPU since I'm running a laptop that actually runs very cool.

My screen refresh rate is 120Hz, that's why I wanted to get at least those FPS in-game.

I have tried running multithreaded rendering on nvidia panel, it feels a bit smoother, thank you for your suggestion.

Since it seems that warframe only uses 2 CPU cores I feel like this is the end because I can't find any way to get more performance out of it. I'm feeling a bit disappointed because I can run much heavier games without any issues...

Again thank you guys for your suggestions!

what is the CPU in question, anyways?
also are you playing on Battery, or plugged in?

though some of the fault will likely be on the RAM and in a Notebook that's tricky to do something about. SODIMM's are made with the end Chips off of batches - though depending on what the Memory the Notebook is already running there are some slightly faster Kits out there.
so knowing that would be helpful too (the Memory Configuration would look something like say 2x8 GB 2666-20-20-20).

• 3 weeks later...
En 9/1/2022 a las 12:36, taiiat dijo:

what is the CPU in question, anyways?
also are you playing on Battery, or plugged in?

though some of the fault will likely be on the RAM and in a Notebook that's tricky to do something about. SODIMM's are made with the end Chips off of batches - though depending on what the Memory the Notebook is already running there are some slightly faster Kits out there.
so knowing that would be helpful too (the Memory Configuration would look something like say 2x8 GB 2666-20-20-20).

Hello, sorry for the late response, I haven't checked the forum for a while.

For the CPU I got the R7 5800H which doesn't bottleneck me in other games so I found this a bit weird..

I always play plugged in on the maximum performance preset.. As for the ram I am running 3200 2x8GB which doesn't have the best timings honestly but I don't think that would decrease my performance this much since I'm only getting around 70 fps. I think it's still underperforming especially since I get far more frames per second in more demanding games.

3 hours ago, nayorco3 said:

For the CPU I got the R7 5800H which doesn't bottleneck me in other games so I found this a bit weird..

I always play plugged in on the maximum performance preset.. As for the ram I am running 3200 2x8GB which doesn't have the best timings honestly but I don't think that would decrease my performance this much since I'm only getting around 70 fps. I think it's still underperforming especially since I get far more frames per second in more demanding games.

hmm. well it's atleast in Dual Channel then. and that is one of the faster Mobile CPU's available - though in CPUbound games like this DRAM absolutely comes into play but, there's just so little that can be done about that.
so the best that could be done is increasing Memory Frequency a bit like to 3600, however identifying what Chips they are to know what Voltage level is safe will be.... not fun. so much easier to do technical stuff with UDIMM than SODIMM. 

your last possibility past that is just more CPU Clockspeed. trying to hit Desktop Clockspeed in this scenario is probably not practical so you get out of it what you can get out of it.
past that your last two options there could be per-Core Overclocking just half/4 of the Cores and letting the rest be casual, to save more Power budget for the Threads that you want to go the fastest - and disabling Multi-threading.

that'll really be about all you can get out of the Platform, on that side. your last adjustment you can try is switching to Dx12 - however note that while Dx12 is generally stable and performant now, it does still have much load Hitching to be ironed out. but either way it should help ease CPUbound scenarios to some degreee.

15 hours ago, nayorco3 said:

Hello, sorry for the late response, I haven't checked the forum for a while.

A lot of modern games (particularly those designed for the PS4/XB1) don't really hit the CPU that hard. Warframe is predominately cpu bound (with a half decent gpu).

What is the timing on the ram? You can use Zentimings to check: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

Where does something like geekbench put you compared to other 5800H's?

Also, is it averaging 70? Or does it drop down every now and then? I haven't played a kuva fortress mission in ages, but i hopped on to check and, barring the occasional drop, i would say perf was fine

Spoiler

screenshotd4j8p.png

The 5800H should technically be in the same ballpark (at least going off of the cinebench single core scores i pulled up for it).

En 26/1/2022 a las 3:05, MillbrookWest dijo:

What is the timing on the ram? You can use Zentimings to check: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

These are the timings on my ram sticks: https://ibb.co/5xzGg2x

Where does something like geekbench put you compared to other 5800H's?

Here is a sample from my 5800H (Note that I don't have any OC on it) https://ibb.co/QHG3K6H

Here is the average R7 5800H https://ibb.co/1dYMb4x

Also, is it averaging 70? Or does it drop down every now and then? 

It is usually around that mark 70-80. I can run away from all the action and I will get like 200 no problem..

Aside from that I would like to say that I am not running into any kind of thermal throttle on my CPU nor on my GPU, my laptop actually runs very cool, so that's not a concern.

Is there anything I should try?

Thank you very much for your time and your help tenno!

Same for me my FPS tank horribly in endurance missions, I start from 180+ to struggling to hit 60FPS after 1hr+ survival, my GPU starts hitting the single digits / 15% GPU usage lol

Intel i7 10875H (8c/16threads)

RTX 3080m (155W)

32GB of RAM 3200Mhz (though 2990 or somewhere there due to CPU limitation there)

2 sticks of 1TB NVmE storage

I've tried re-installing, no overlay (except for MSI afterburner to monitor) no thermal bottleneck 4.3Ghz all cores, swapped around DX12 & 11 & no difference except for mega long load times on DX12 & minor stutters.

Like I sometimes get way lower FPS than someone with a super old AMD FX CPU sometimes, like IK I'm CPU bound in this game, but I feel like it is way too overdone or unoptimized, verify & optimized the game, but I get better FPS in BF 2042 in 128 players than here? If anyone has tips that would be great =D

Though I do want to swap out this laptop for an i9 12th gen but honestly there would be no point if I still get sub 60FPS due to WF

2 hours ago, Guitar_Dude09 said:

Like I sometimes get way lower FPS than someone with a super old AMD FX CPU sometimes, like IK I'm CPU bound in this game, but I feel like it is way too overdone or unoptimized

it's not.... impossible, i guess. despite being definitely a worse CPU, it could and likely is also atleast running a common XMP spec, which'll be significantly faster than what most Notebooks tend to be running at. as often they don't support using the XMP Profile at all, or override (limit) major parts of it.

you can check for that if you want ofcourse, see if the BIOS is atleast passable on the Notebook and if you can make it apply the XMP Profile (which will also normally have the system enable Memory Training, rather than running everything at JEDEC). if it's not already and you do, that should certainly make an impact.

2 hours ago, Guitar_Dude09 said:

Though I do want to swap out this laptop for an i9 12th gen but honestly there would be no point if I still get sub 60FPS due to WF

as long as the DRAM isn't awful, a 12900K would be suitable to be GPUbound with a Power unlimited 3090. easily able to do 200+FPS at all times, should be able to aveage 300+.

6 hours ago, nayorco3 said:

Aside from that I would like to say that I am not running into any kind of thermal throttle on my CPU nor on my GPU, my laptop actually runs very cool, so that's not a concern.

Is there anything I should try?

Thank you very much for your time and your help tenno!

I have the desktop equivalent of the 5800H, so it's a little apples vs. oranges, and i couldn't match the settings 1:1, but i copied the timings onto my system. It performed worse, for sure, but not by too great a margin. At least nothing to say that it might be your issue.

Spoiler

screenshot2slklz.png

As a final something to try out, you can use warframe's own built-in stress test Easter egg, which might help makes things clearer. I left mine to run for a little bit for comparison. The CPU's are both Zen3 (afaik) so a somewhat relevant point of comparison, tho obviously not 1:1

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

it's not.... impossible, i guess. despite being definitely a worse CPU, it could and likely is also atleast running a common XMP spec, which'll be significantly faster than what most Notebooks tend to be running at. as often they don't support using the XMP Profile at all, or override (limit) major parts of it.

you can check for that if you want ofcourse, see if the BIOS is atleast passable on the Notebook and if you can make it apply the XMP Profile (which will also normally have the system enable Memory Training, rather than running everything at JEDEC). if it's not already and you do, that should certainly make an impact.

as long as the DRAM isn't awful, a 12900K would be suitable to be GPUbound with a Power unlimited 3090. easily able to do 200+FPS at all times, should be able to aveage 300+.

Yeah XMP is enabled, I have my CPU running full 4.3Ghz no low power mode / c or p states or whatever (whichever the one is that allows the CPU to conserve power), thermals are around 60-70 degrees on CPU side so not issue there if so, I would have undervolted. From what I've seen it just does not run too great after a while even in grineer ship tile set & its the easiest thing for the CPU to go full blast besides enemies coming in

Yeah the 12900HK laptops I'm planning to get & would be a significant jump from this poorly developed i7 from intel (though its not slouch either way but would like full use of my refresh rate of course =P ) though I still think I would be GPU bound w/ the 3080TI mobile since 4 player missions tend to hit the CPU gnarly, but I would expect a 2 player mission to not choke itself after an hr to sub 60 regardless 

Though Ima try that stress test

39 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

I have the desktop equivalent of the 5800H, so it's a little apples vs. oranges, and i couldn't match the settings 1:1, but i copied the timings onto my system. It performed worse, for sure, but not by too great a margin. At least nothing to say that it might be your issue.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot2slklz.png

As a final something to try out, you can use warframe's own built-in stress test Easter egg, which might help makes things clearer. I left mine to run for a little bit for comparison. The CPU's are both Zen3 (afaik) so a somewhat relevant point of comparison, tho obviously not 1:1

I did not know this existed, testing it out max I get was 400, avg was 220-250 lowest in intesnse situations was about 190ish, all at 70 degrees, I'm just not understanding what drops my FPS so bad

hace 4 horas, MillbrookWest dijo:

I hopped onto the game and uncapped my fps, tried running the stress test and I average around 200ish fps.. while CPU sits around 75º (Which for a laptop is actually chill) boosting all the way up to what it should

I don't get it, while running the stress test my GPU is actually going all the way up to 80% utilization in contrast playing in a squad gets me around 40% or so.. (You can see this behaviour in my first screenshot if you scroll up)

Is there any fps cap while being on a squad?

I can run battlefield games, apex, monster hunter world etc.. with higher fps than warframe which baffles me..

Should I try contacting the developers?

Thank you for your time tennos!! <3

9 hours ago, Guitar_Dude09 said:

Yeah the 12900HK laptops I'm planning to get & would be a significant jump

oh, i assumed you meant Desktop.
scratch those numbers then, it's anyones' guess what that'll perform like.

5 hours ago, nayorco3 said:

I don't get it, while running the stress test my GPU is actually going all the way up to 80% utilization in contrast playing in a squad gets me around 40% or so.. (You can see this behaviour in my first screenshot if you scroll up)

this is indicating that you're less CPUbound in the AI Stresstest than you are in the actual game. it makes sense, as the actual game will have a Map, Players - overall a lot more load.
the Corpus and Grineer outbreak scenes aren't meant to be Benchmarks after all, they're used as a stress test to test for Crashes. Systems will run them for Hours or Days at a time to look for weird Crashes.

On 2022-01-28 at 9:04 PM, nayorco3 said:

I hopped onto the game and uncapped my fps, tried running the stress test and I average around 200ish fps.. while CPU sits around 75º (Which for a laptop is actually chill) boosting all the way up to what it should

It means that in the stress test your CPU is more readily able to request new frames for the gpu. Something it's seemingly not being able to do in-game, for whatever reason. Scripting, for example, is inherently single threaded. 

We can only see the Kuva fortress as the example given, but is it the same everywhere? Like the void, for instance? 

Does this also persist if you are host? What happens when solo?

On 2022-01-28 at 2:04 AM, nayorco3 said:

Is there any fps cap while being on a squad?

I can run battlefield games, apex, monster hunter world etc.. with higher fps than warframe which baffles me..

Should I try contacting the developers?

Thank you for your time tennos!! <3

You get less GPU utilization due to more people + more enemies (usually more per squad mate) = more CPU usage, albeit WF doesn't optimize too well but yeah it gets very CPU limited 

Archived