Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

||: ♪♬ I'm making retro console game versions of Warframe soundtracks ♬♪ :||

Disasterchild

For some reason I didn't think to make an unspecified thread where I could post my retrofied Warframe soundtracks last time I posted, so I'm making one now. I feel like it's better form than to make a new thread every single time.

"Corpus Greed", "For Narmer", "Ghosts Of Void" and "Corrupted" are done and out the door. I am currently toying around with "Gene Molds" and "Grineer Onslaught", so they'll come out next week!

[Edit from April 16th, 2023]
Long overdue, but I've made my collection of retro-like soundtrack remakes available on my Bandcamp page as well. The audio quality takes quite a dive when put through the video codec of my editing software. Now you can get clean, lossless audio files at the link below. Free to download and use wherever, as long as I'm credited. I'll add any more I make to this page as well as YouTube going forward.
https://thedisasterchild.bandcamp.com/album/retroesque-warframe

2 hours ago, Disasterchild said:

For some reason I didn't think to make an unspecified thread where I could post my retrofied Warframe soundtracks last time I posted, so I'm making one now. I feel like it's better form than to make a new thread every single time.

"Corpus Greed", "For Narmer", "Ghosts Of Void" and "Corrupted" are done and out the door. I am currently toying around with "Gene Molds" and "Grineer Onslaught", so they'll come out next week!

So when you say "retro-fied", what exactly are you doing? Or rather, what tools are you using to make these? Is it something like Deflemask?

1 hour ago, auxy said:

So when you say "retro-fied", what exactly are you doing? Or rather, what tools are you using to make these? Is it something like Deflemask?

I pull the original soundtracks into a project file in my DAW, sync up the tempo, determine what kind of instruments and elements there are in the original, and then I just record all the stuff I hear in the original using a few different instrument plugins to create stereotypically "old console" sound. I also ad lib my own stuff in sections here and there, when needed to further drive home the right flavor of the original soundtrack within the confines of this retro sound.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I do this in Cubase. The plugins I've used thus far are RYM2612, DSK Bass, Dream64, Beat DRMR, Superior Drummer 2.0 and Miroslav Philharmonik.

2 minutes ago, Disasterchild said:

I pull the original soundtracks into a project file in my DAW, sync up the tempo, determine what kind of instruments and elements there are in the original, and then I just record all the stuff I hear in the original using a few different instrument plugins to create stereotypically "old console" sound. I also ad lib my own stuff in sections here and there, when needed to further drive home the right flavor of the original soundtrack within the confines of this retro sound.

Oh, okay. So despite the SNES-style box art, these aren't intending to sound like any particular platform, or indeed legitimately "retro" at all, just your personal take on "retro-ish". That's disappointing.

3 minutes ago, auxy said:

Oh, okay. So despite the SNES-style box art, these aren't intending to sound like any particular platform, or indeed legitimately "retro" at all, just your personal take on "retro-ish". That's disappointing.

Myeah, I don't feel like restricting myself to one single console. However, I am designing most of the sounds after Sega Megadrive, along with trying to stick to the limitations of the chipset (not going above the maximum number of voices, trying to mimic the rudimentary effects that were available, etc.)

1 hour ago, Disasterchild said:

Myeah, I don't feel like restricting myself to one single console. However, I am designing most of the sounds after Sega Megadrive, along with trying to stick to the limitations of the chipset (not going above the maximum number of voices, trying to mimic the rudimentary effects that were available, etc.)

I think your choice of instruments provides an ideal "retrofy" feeling and allows you a more full range in your delivery. I don't find anything disingenuous about your graphic art or music, it isn't like you said "this is 8 Bit" or "this is SNES". In fact I think you have done a fine job making it "retro-y feeling" with the tools you have and the techniques you've employed (like the left-right shifting (is that called doppler?) effect in Ghosts of Void).

In my opinion, the idea of restricting yourself to the 8/16 Bit sound elements that are exclusive to a specific console is shortsighted and elitist. I understand that some pure-ists would prefer things a certain way, but it would also take away the originality of your own work.

EDIT: I almost forgot! If you register as a Warframe Content Creator, can I get your glyph? 💖

1 hour ago, Disasterchild said:

Hey, I think I came off a little bit too rude earlier and I wanted to be clear about how I felt. Also, I apologize for being offensive; that was my intention but it wasn't justified.

So, to be clear, I definitely think your work is cool, and I'm glad you're doing it. Moreover, I think you're doing a good job at achieving a sound that most people would identify as "retro." Rather than the Mega Drive/Genesis sound you're going for, I think you landed more in "late-PC-DOS" (OPL3) territory, but both pieces of hardware used Yamaha synthesizers, so you're still in the ballpark for sure.

As LillyRaccune implied, I am certainly a chiptune purist. I would even go so far as to describe myself as a connoisseur.

Naturally, given that description, I definitely do prefer works that conform to the capabilities of classic hardware. That's particularly true for works that are labeled "chiptune" or "retro." When someone creates music that is far beyond the capabilities of classic synthesizer hardware and labels it "retro" it puts a bad taste in my mouth, because as an aficionado of the form these works stick out to me immediately. That's why I asked earlier, because I could immediately tell that you weren't working with original hardware or any approximation thereof. And yeah, I got a little bit snippy because I was looking down my nose at your work, which totally isn't fair at all.

It isn't fair because you ARE doing good work and as I said, most people WILL identify it as having a "retro" sound. Thus, the description is completely valid and it's not fair of me to dump on your work because it doesn't meet my standard of purity; doing that is just a quick path to a "purity spiral" situation. I'm all for some gatekeeping in some circumstances, but you clearly have your heart in the right place.

To elaborate further, I'm not saying that you are being dishonest; not at all. I don't get the impression that you're attempting to mislead anyone. However, the presentation of the works, particularly with the (very well done!) SNES-style box art, can easily give people the impression that you intend for these tracks to be taken as legitimate chiptunes.

If you wanted to address my complaint—and you don't need to, but it costs you nothing—you could describe briefly in the video descriptions the toolchain you used to create the music. That will make it completely clear up front that you're not trying to claim that you works are in fact legitimate chiptunes (which is not true) and instead just your own "retro-sounding" take on the songs, which is totally unimpeachable.

Anyway, again, I apologize for my earlier rudeness; it was improper and a little out of character for me. I just feel strongly about chiptunes! 😋

51 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

I think your choice of instruments provides an ideal "retrofy" feeling and allows you a more full range in your delivery. I don't find anything disingenuous about your graphic art or music, it isn't like you said "this is 8 Bit" or "this is SNES". In fact I think you have done a fine job making it "retro-y feeling" with the tools you have and the techniques you've employed (like the left-right shifting (is that called doppler?) effect in Ghosts of Void).

In my opinion, the idea of restricting yourself to the 8/16 Bit sound elements that are exclusive to a specific console is shortsighted and elitist. I understand that some pure-ists would prefer things a certain way, but it would also take away the originality of your own work.

EDIT: I almost forgot! If you register as a Warframe Content Creator, can I get your glyph? 💖

I agree. I could definitely have done all this strictly using my plugins that emulates the chipset of a single console, and as a matter of fact I did start out doing that. Just didn't satisfy my vision, and some elements did not translate very well when fit into the stricture of a single board. So I'll color outside of the lines where I think it would make the whole picture better as long as it still fits into the general gist of the sound.

Also, I don't know if I would fit into the crowd as a WF creator, haha. I don't feel like I am good enough. But hell, should I ever for some reason become one, you'll get your sweet Disasterchild glyph!

10 minutes ago, auxy said:

Hey, I think I came off a little bit too rude earlier and I wanted to be clear about how I felt. Also, I apologize for being offensive; that was my intention but it wasn't justified.

So, to be clear, I definitely think your work is cool, and I'm glad you're doing it. Moreover, I think you're doing a good job at achieving a sound that most people would identify as "retro." Rather than the Mega Drive/Genesis sound you're going for, I think you landed more in "late-PC-DOS" (OPL3) territory, but both pieces of hardware used Yamaha synthesizers, so you're still in the ballpark for sure.

As LillyRaccune implied, I am certainly a chiptune purist. I would even go so far as to describe myself as a connoisseur.

Naturally, given that description, I definitely do prefer works that conform to the capabilities of classic hardware. That's particularly true for works that are labeled "chiptune" or "retro." When someone creates music that is far beyond the capabilities of classic synthesizer hardware and labels it "retro" it puts a bad taste in my mouth, because as an aficionado of the form these works stick out to me immediately. That's why I asked earlier, because I could immediately tell that you weren't working with original hardware or any approximation thereof. And yeah, I got a little bit snippy because I was looking down my nose at your work, which totally isn't fair at all.

It isn't fair because you ARE doing good work and as I said, most people WILL identify it as having a "retro" sound. Thus, the description is completely valid and it's not fair of me to dump on your work because it doesn't meet my standard of purity; doing that is just a quick path to a "purity spiral" situation. I'm all for some gatekeeping in some circumstances, but you clearly have your heart in the right place.

To elaborate further, I'm not saying that you are being dishonest; not at all. I don't get the impression that you're attempting to mislead anyone. However, the presentation of the works, particularly with the (very well done!) SNES-style box art, can easily give people the impression that you intend for these tracks to be taken as legitimate chiptunes.

If you wanted to address my complaint—and you don't need to, but it costs you nothing—you could describe briefly in the video descriptions the toolchain you used to create the music. That will make it completely clear up front that you're not trying to claim that you works are in fact legitimate chiptunes (which is not true) and instead just your own "retro-sounding" take on the songs, which is totally unimpeachable.

Anyway, again, I apologize for my earlier rudeness; it was improper and a little out of character for me. I just feel strongly about chiptunes! 😋

No, I got what you meant. I just don't agree that "retro" is that narrow of a term. I based my artwork on the SNES cover format because I like SNES, and I am still basing my sound after an actual chipset. Just not from your perspective. See, I make music by ear. I often don't have the stuff needed to make it as others do, so I find my own ways of expressing what I need to express. I just won't put a leash on myself because I can't right now, for reasons I'm not gonna disclose. It's a long story that nobody needs to be subjected to.

Please know I do respect your taste, and I am sorry if I left a bad taste on your palate. You didn't hurt me nearly as much as I do myself, so absolutely no worries.

'Gene Molds' is finished! I'm trying to stick to a thrice-weekly upload schedule (Mon-Wen-Fri,) but I got severely distracted yesterday after having watched GMM and got a random song snippet that Link just did impromptu stuck on my head and I had to remix it to get it out of my head and be able to concentrate, haha.

I've finished 'Grineer Onslaught'.

I kind of dragged my feet on this one, because I felt like I was unable to reach a point where it did the original any justice at all. Creating a massive taiko, timpani and anvil ensemble in this style proved to be a challenge and a half. I have less confidence in this one, haha.

6 hours ago, Disasterchild said:

I've finished 'Grineer Onslaught'.

I kind of dragged my feet on this one, because I felt like I was unable to reach a point where it did the original any justice at all. Creating a massive taiko, timpani and anvil ensemble in this style proved to be a challenge and a half. I have less confidence in this one, haha.

Here to encourage you, keep up the good work!

I see what you mean, the beginning doesn't "pop" the way your other creations have. I love 1:23-to-loop though!

Is it possible you need to take more creative liberties with the choice of instruments? You said you are limiting yourself to the original number of voices on the Sega Megadrive, but did those games really use a Taiko (etc) ensemble? My uneducated opinon is to scrap the Taiko (etc) and the high-pitched cowbell (used throughout the whole song) and use grungy-sounding (tinny?) instruments instead.

Regardless of any critizism I have, I listened to Gene Molds and Grineer Onslaught alternating to each other (just like in-game combat) and they sounded pretty well matched for each other. So while it may not be exactly the way you want it to sound, it does do a good job!

11 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

Here to encourage you, keep up the good work!

I see what you mean, the beginning doesn't "pop" the way your other creations have. I love 1:23-to-loop though!

Is it possible you need to take more creative liberties with the choice of instruments? You said you are limiting yourself to the original number of voices on the Sega Megadrive, but did those games really use a Taiko (etc) ensemble? My uneducated opinon is to scrap the Taiko (etc) and the high-pitched cowbell (used throughout the whole song) and use grungy-sounding (tinny?) instruments instead.

Regardless of any critizism I have, I listened to Gene Molds and Grineer Onslaught alternating to each other (just like in-game combat) and they sounded pretty well matched for each other. So while it may not be exactly the way you want it to sound, it does do a good job!

I'm glad you think they pair up well! I tried connecting them as well as I could through the choices of instruments. 

And yes, I am definitely strict on my limitations when it comes to instruments. This is because if I stray too far off of the instruments I've already used, then it'll remove some of the illusion of the kind of distinguished range of instruments heard in a given old console game. I worry that if I bring in too many new sounds, it'll be diluted and not sound convincing enough.

This being said, I think the reason this one was so hard is because of how massive the mix of the percussion is in the original along with the fact that there's barely anything else. No matter what I do, I won't be able to create that wide of a percussive sonic image to the same extent in this sound. I'm probably just being unnecessary hard on myself.

Thrilling! 😻 When I was listening, I had feelings like when I first played A Link to the Past and FFIX. Good nostalic feelings for me.

As for your arrangement, I really liked it. I couldn't tell you were limiting yourself to a certain number of voices, it sounds "full" (if that makes any sense).

Thanks for sonic journey.

Archived