Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's next for WF now that TNW is out?

(XBOX)Varzin

What I would like to see now that DE are back from their vacation is them getting that cross play/cross save system in place. They obviously had working netcode to be able to show it off last Tennocon, so I'm not really sure what else is necessary before they can just open the flood gates and unify their community.

35 minutes ago, Noxifer said:

Just because the game retains some addicts and it's not completely shut down doesn't mean it's actually alive. It's effectively dead.
And the whole destiny thing... it happened how many years ago? Warframe was still young. You fail to take time passing by into account.

Yes allow me to ignore what is directly in front of me so I can make an argument that doesn’t make sense at all. How the hell is a double in player count equal to the game dying

2 hours ago, Josh486 said:

Yes allow me to ignore what is directly in front of me so I can make an argument that doesn’t make sense at all. How the hell is a double in player count equal to the game dying

Agreed. That's just a stupid thing to say. I just think people are way too comfortable saying dumb stuff without a consequence to it. 

It's been ages. I'd like to see the toxic and outdated things in the game dealt with. Replace old bosses like sarge and lephantis. Balance pass old, outdated weapons. Fully rework our worst frames, like Nyx, Zephyr, and Loki. Give us more control over rivens, and a separate chat for them. Let us run radshares in-game without organizing. 

But those are the wishes of an old player. The only objective choice for new things would be to improve the new player experience. This is the key to making Warframe more popular. Warframe being more popular means more players. More players means more money. Making a full-fledged player experience update will take ages but pay off.

53 minutes ago, PerishedFraud said:

It's been ages. I'd like to see the toxic and outdated things in the game dealt with. Replace old bosses like sarge and lephantis. Balance pass old, outdated weapons. Fully rework our worst frames, like Nyx, Zephyr, and Loki. Give us more control over rivens, and a separate chat for them. Let us run radshares in-game without organizing. 

But those are the wishes of an old player. The only objective choice for new things would be to improve the new player experience. This is the key to making Warframe more popular. Warframe being more popular means more players. More players means more money. Making a full-fledged player experience update will take ages but pay off.

I think they're very close with dialing in the new player experience. The recent change was very well done but I think they just need to work on a simple but mandatory tutorial of the mod console. It's the most confusing section for new kiddz.

As for outdated stuff, I think they should remain for the new kiddz to enjoy, laugh at (Sergeant), get frustrated with (Rukus), etc. Frames are fine too and, instead of reworks, I'd love to see the primes get slight alters to their abilities such as tying in some of the augments.

10 hours ago, Cerikus said:

have you ever seen the player stats

I have seen the steam charts, yes. Warframe is #15. That's all good and well, but that does not mean it will remain to be the  case over the next  several years.

"some addicts" ?

Allow me to explain. One of the most popular games between 2005 and 2010 was World of WarCraft. Whether you're aware of the game, whether you love it or hate it is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.
Guess what happened to this game? After the base game, the company introduced an expansion pack, which built upon what was the base game and improved it in many ways. 2nd expansion screwed some things, but fixed some things and it was more on less on par with the first. The games's subscribers peaked at 12 million...  Surely you can understand why I am not all that impressed by steamcharts and whatnot

Subsequent expansions systematically dumbed down the game and ruined what was good about it over the following years, the numbes went lower and lower.
The people who loved the game left.

Sure, the game is not officially dead, because the servers are not taken down and some addicts (yes, that's the word I would use to describe players, that play no matter how bad the state of the game is) remain, but the game is effectively dead.

The same thing (I fear) is eventually going to happen to Warframe. Friends of mine (that are big fans and have been playing Warframe since 2015, some from the very start) have left.
Their main complaint for not playing is, that the game lacks real gameplay and challenge.

Personally, I can tolerate skilless games, as I am used to a Diablo 2 type of game, where the gameplay is skilless and elementary... and rather secondary, while the main aspect of the game is trading... and I imagine for people, who see Warframe to be that and just that, I guess things seem fine.

But Warframe wasn't always just that... and I don't think it should remain in it's current state.

The  subversion of expectations, that was The New War was something pretty strange. To me it indicates, that the devs didn't wanna give us the war against the sentients, likely, because they feared, that if they were to allow us to actually allow us to fight them within the current state of the game, the whole thing would feel cheap.

I hope I am wrong,  but these are the signs of a dying game.

Destiny 2 came out 2017. Warframe was 4-5 years old at that point. It's 2022.

Precisely, Warframe was still young. While I can't see the next big thing on the horizon, I imagine it will actually hurt Warframe's numbers.

As to Destiny 2, the game has it's own flaws, that cheapen the experience. It's far, far from perfect... but I'd like to point  out, that the game is still more engaging in terms of raw gameplay than Warframe is. If that were to change, I believe it will benefit Warframe and the game willl be better off long term.

I can certainly see, why some players wouldn't want Warframe to change for the better, though... ones, for whom it takes about a month to learn how to defeat the snake...

11 hours ago, Cerikus said:

DE tried to pitch Warframe to publishers and got denied? 
Hmmm what was the reason? 🤔 That it's going to die soon, because that is what happens to games like these? 

You can't equate publishers not being interested in warframe to me saying, that if DE keeps the game in it's current state, that alienates fans, that loved the game since it came out, because any and all sembalnce of gameplay is effectively going to die and the few remaining will be addicts, that will be oplaying by themselves.

While I find much of your post to be subjective, I will agree that DE seems to have too much attention on "addicts" or, better said, old players.

While it is true that old players give more money than new ones, we have to understand that new players are still a source of income, that while lower per-player, should greatly outweigh old players if the new player experience is good.  All players also start as new. If you cater to oldies and ignore getting new people, your game stops appealing to an audience and appeals to a cult instead.

So basically, DE needs to ignore us for a while, and make the first 100 or so hours of WF better and more player-friendly. The number one issue is the lack of guides for anything and lack of railroading after the tutorial. If Lotus or Ordis guided the player to complete the starchart and explained things on the way, the game would be in a far greater place. 

That's objectively the best move. It won't make us oldies happy but it will greatly improve, well, everything, long-term.

8 hours ago, Noxifer said:

- snip -

My opinion on the matter is this.

There is no point in being a doomsayer. Whenever I have criticisms that I consider important, I always give feedback. BUT! I always offer an idea for solution. Screaming "The game is dead. The game will die." is absolutelly pointless. I am not saying you are doing that, but the game is currently NOT dead, nor is it dying.
If there is a problem with the game we can pinpoint and talk about, that's something I am up for, but talking about the inevitable death of Warframe is stupid.

Everything has to die someday. Even Warframe. So it's not that shocking that it's not going to outlive me. What I care about is if I still enjoy the gameplay and I do. And as I said, if there is something about the gameplay I don't enjoy, I am usually very vocal about it, but constructively.

And lastly.. If someone doesn't enjoy the game, it's perfectly acceptable and healthy to leave. I too have friends who played with me and left, never to come back. But that's just how games that ask you to spend thousands of hours are. As long as new players replace those who left, the game is perfectly healthy.

Btw. I find the supposed (and very expectable) subversion of The New War a perfect story telling.
If Warframe quest were always able to do something, it was the feeling of: "wow... I didn't expect that, but wait... it makes all the sense. It was in front of our eyes all this time, but we just didn't see it."
That's exactly what the quest did for me and I am glad, because if we got a cheap war story, I would be disappointed.

10 hours ago, Noxifer said:

Precisely, Warframe was still young. While I can't see the next big thing on the horizon, I imagine it will actually hurt Warframe's numbers.

4-5 years isnt exactly young when compared to a new "killer" of the same genre. And to top it off, Destiny 2 failed twice to "kill" WF, since it didnt manage to do it with the "free" version either when it went live on Steam. And it has been the same story for pretty much every looter shooter released post WF, and for many arpgs aswell.

Plus, you cant really compare a sub based game like WoW to WF when it comes to what made it fail, especially not when it is also a game that is fully group focused if you wanna get anywhere in it. WoW didnt just fail because it was dumbed down in one way, it was dumbed down in every place where it was possible, from skill trees to content, removing choice, depth, challenge and everything in between in one go. WF has issues with balance, that is pretty much it. But it is also a game that is very accessible to a very wide audience, from paying to free players, soloers and groupers, casuals and hardcores and anything in between all of it. Plus you can always leave WF and pick it up right where you left it without having to play a massive catch up before getting anything worthwhile, unlike WoW where you are far behind if you leave for a while.

On 2022-01-14 at 11:28 AM, (XBOX)Varzin said:

So now that the big New War update is out and the team is back from winter break, what happens next? DE has a lot of different paths they can take in terms of deciding what to focus on next, so what does the community think should be prioritized?

Personally I'd like to see DE take this time to fill in the gaps where possible. Augment mods for abilities that don't have an augment yet, some abilities already have 2 augments while others don't have any. More weapons in categories that are comparatively slim like rapiers and snipers, despite how much I like swords and shotguns I think we have enough of those right now. Warframe skins and heads for frames that are lacking variety. New modular components to encourage players to re-engage with older systems and build new things (zaw strikes, kitgun chambers, amp prisms, etc). That sort of stuff. There are some areas of the game where the balance of content is pretty uneven and while I wouldn't expect that to change in only a few updates it would be nice to see some of those slim areas get filled out a bit. 

So what does everyone else think?

im thinking that we will get drifter themed story quest

Pretty certain Duviri Paradox will be next.

It hasn't been talked about much since the trailer in 2019, but the Drifter, the Zariman-derelict, and quite a bit of the dialogue in TNW refers to it.

TNW on its own also didn't add actual new gameplay systems yet (other than introducing the Drifter and bringing back Lotus), but it's setting up the foundations for the next big thing.

I think it would be really cool if the post new war versions of plains of eidolon and orb vallis got new elements.

Plains of Eidolon could have an expanded cavern system with sentients hiding down there.

Orb Vallis could have thawed out ancient orokin monstrosities coming out of that creepy vault and other areas.

Archived