Is anyone else a bit disappointed there wasn't a lot of large scale "war" in the "New War"?

A lot of it is implied, like sentients taking over during the time skip. And some background set-pieces.

But I was kinda hoping something similar, to, say...Rexxar's invasion of Theramore where you accompany an army of allies against a larger army. Or have you hopping from planet to planet to intervene in losing battles. Or something similar to Veso and Kahl, but make the gameplay similar to Battlefront against AI Narmer and sentients. Ride a Dargyn to shoot down the enemy. Play as a Lancer in a crewship. Etc.

The New War had its moments. But it's just a shame none of those Moments were war.

• Like 26

To be honest I'm kind of glad it wasn't about war or another Kahl/Veso as much as you want it to be.

Being Grineer or Corpus isn't great. Teshin gives something, Veso has "something" but it was sometimes clunky. And Kahl? At this point in the game I don't care about some random Grineer.

Or you against large army? Heck no. In this game everything would just shoot you. That's not fun. You could use some "heavy weapons" but that would probably meant RJ... which is almost copy-paste of normal frame play but worse.

• Like 1

I think this has more to do with expectations and perhaps even more how DE read the community. I myself was expecting large scale Railjack war. And while we did fly in a Railjack for a while it wasn't really a war. You destroy more stuff in a regular Veil mission. I was even thinking maybe we would work together with other Railjacks (AI or something). Nothing of the sort happened. Maybe because a loud minority of people here are very negative to anything that isn't bulletjumping and AoE instagibbing everything.

I would have been happy with a war and aftermath cutscene even if we didn't play a part in it. It all felt kind of, oh we're infiltrating a ship. Seems like there should be more building upto that moment. There could even have been an intermission of normal node missions with story content to battle sentients and such. I was expecting something like that. I think it would have been easy to add in all honesty.

In the end, I'm not that salty about it. I loved the quests. Loved the game play. Story wise, well. It's going in a different direction from what many of us were expecting. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it felt like it was rushed through. If there was a tad bit more narrative that could have been avoided as well.

So New War had surprisingly little War. But then War Within also had no War so. Guess we're even.

• Like 7

Yea, I'm with you there, all we had was technically post-war scenes. I fully expected us to work alongside the grineer and corpus to fight a common and overwhelming enemy like they advertised. Instead we got like, a background shot of a corpus ship and grineer ship shooting at a murex. Hell, the final battle in DOOM had a better all out war feel to it, and that story didn't even lead up to it, they just showed up without us asking.

• Like 4

I guess the way the story was going there never was any war because we all thought Erra was the bad guy and sentients just wanted to destroy everything. Well that turned out quite different. Ballas just wanted people to revere him and you can't have that if they're all dead. If anything having Ballas being the bad guy was the sole mistake in this quest. It didn't ruin it for me, but I can understand it does for some people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

So New War had surprisingly little War. But then War Within also had no War so. Guess we're even.

Well with that, TWW really pushed that to be more of an internal struggle narrative, which is what we got. With this, they said over and over that it would be all out war with an enemy pursuing the same goal as before, but we got none of that.

• Like 4

Just now, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

Well with that, TWW really pushed that to be more of an internal struggle narrative, which is what we got. With this, they said over and over that it would be all out war with an enemy pursuing the same goal as before, but we got none of that.

Ok, well I never watched any of the devstreams on this topic because that usually turns out to be a complete disappointment. I rather do the content and then form my opinion on that rather than ruining my perspective with possibilities that may never make it into the game. Didn't people learn from the Railjack debacle?

1 minute ago, RazerXPrime said:

I rather do the content and then form my opinion on that rather than ruining my perspective with possibilities that may never make it into the game. Didn't people learn from the Railjack debacle?

Apparently not, me included I'll admit. But DE usually does well with their story quests, so myself and others expected differently.

16 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

I think this has more to do with expectations and perhaps even more how DE read the community. I myself was expecting large scale Railjack war. And while we did fly in a Railjack for a while it wasn't really a war. You destroy more stuff in a regular Veil mission. I was even thinking maybe we would work together with other Railjacks (AI or something). Nothing of the sort happened. Maybe because a loud minority of people here are very negative to anything that isn't bulletjumping and AoE instagibbing everything.

I would have been happy with a war and aftermath cutscene even if we didn't play a part in it. It all felt kind of, oh we're infiltrating a ship. Seems like there should be more building upto that moment. There could even have been an intermission of normal node missions with story content to battle sentients and such. I was expecting something like that. I think it would have been easy to add in all honesty.

In the end, I'm not that salty about it. I loved the quests. Loved the game play. Story wise, well. It's going in a different direction from what many of us were expecting. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it felt like it was rushed through. If there was a tad bit more narrative that could have been avoided as well.

War Within was VERY clearly supposed to be an internal struggle, spoken in a figurative sense, unlike New War where it's far more literal

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

But then War Within also had no War so. Guess we're even.

"War within" could mean "war YOU are doing inside your body/mind". This isn't something on "large scale" but something like "inner struggle" (like other poster said). It's like saying that you are an addict and every day you are trying not to smoke cigarettes. You are "doing" a war inside your body. It's you-that-want-to-be-healthy vs smoker.

I wasn't expecting we're getting Dynasty Warrior type fights here. DE can't make that happen anytime soon. Getting glimpse of a small scale battle with one sole perspective is enough for me. Would I love a large scale battle like Dynasty Warrior style on the Plains of Eidolon? Hell yeah. But this is what we got so I'm content with it.

14 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

I don't think people fully understand how badly outnumbered the Tenno are in all of this. The war was lost the second the Sentients came.

The tenno were outnumbered in the old war as well. Hell, we're outnumbered in game now, yet we're still kicking ass. And we would've had the corpus and grineer backing us up too.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

The tenno were outnumbered in the old war as well. Hell, we're outnumbered in game now, yet we're still kicking ass. And we would've had the corpus and grineer backing us up too.

the tenno being low in number to fight a war does not just mean "we'll lose". but more directly what it means is that tenno are not effective front-line fighters.

especially in an alliance with the grineer and corpus, the tenno have the disadvantage of not being numerous but the advantage of packing A LOT of power into a single unit and having superior mobility and stealth. they'd be optimally used as special operatives to capture POI's, assassinate high-value targets, sabotage supplies and various other things like that.

and that's kinda what we did in the quest, we, as the "chosen one" tenno, went after the big bosses behind the entire enemy faction while the corpus and grineer fought en-masse, effectively an assassination mission. 

i'd say the quest was a relatively accurate representation of what the tenno would be tasked to do during such a war. of course, there could have been more quests where you captured control points, assassinated some commanders to get info or whatever but that'd possibly feel like quest bloat.

the other thing is that the war kind of "ends" with the ending of chapter 1, when we get stabbed. it doesn't truely end, as we set out to finish what we started in the rest of the quest, but the war at large was kinda over (or on-halt) for the rest of the quest, with cleanup duty probably starting pretty soon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SDGDen said:

the tenno being low in number to fight a war does not just mean "we'll lose". but more directly what it means is that tenno are not effective front-line fighters.

especially in an alliance with the grineer and corpus, the tenno have the disadvantage of not being numerous but the advantage of packing A LOT of power into a single unit and having superior mobility and stealth. they'd be optimally used as special operatives to capture POI's, assassinate high-value targets, sabotage supplies and various other things like that.

While you are right, we have only really seen tenno fight on the front-lines, and do superbly well, as seen in the Erra quest cutscene and the New player experience trailer. I am with you on how they should be optimally used normally, but considering the only priority targets the sentients have are the true sentients themselves (Erra, Hunhow, etc) who chill out on murexes, we'd have no choice but to push through them on the frontlines like we did during the old war and what we did during act 1 of TNW quest.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

Neither have a capability to counter Sentient forces en masse. We fight to maintain a situation wherein our enemies are busy with each other. The Orbiter is kept in the Void 99.9% of the time. Can you guess what would happen if the Grineer got powerful enough to just ignore the Corpus and field their Formorians to camp and fire the second they notice something? We can't die. The several dozen frames and guns, however...

5 minutes ago, SDGDen said:

But tenno have few advantage as well:

- (almost) immortal

- powerful

Single tenno can destroy many enemies. They can boost other allies.

Our number is not a problem. It's how we use them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, quxier said:

But tenno have few advantage as well:

- (almost) immortal

- powerful

Single tenno can destroy many enemies. They can boost other allies.

Our number is not a problem. It's how we use them.

thats exactly my point, in an actual war, the tenno would be WASTED as "foot soldiers", they're much more useful in various other situations. 

45 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Neither have a capability to counter Sentient forces en masse. We fight to maintain a situation wherein our enemies are busy with each other. The Orbiter is kept in the Void 99.9% of the time.

I understand that, I'm not saying that we should've just stomped the sentients then and there, I'm saying that they could've included war-time battles in the quest. If we had something like that, but still lost, then followed back up with the current acts 2 and 3 we have now, I'd be happy with that. I don't agree with the other 2 statements though, as I said, we have fought on the frontlines against a single enemy force (the orokin, the sentients) and were somewhat successful, and the orbiter isn't kept in the void most of the time, it travels wherever we want it to and we deploy our landing craft from there, it just has top of the line stealth tech.

• Like 4