Thoughts on the Narmer Hacking Interface

Thinking back through the quest, there were a lot of interesting mechanics and gameplay choices I had to mull over a little - one thing stuck with me as either a missed opportunity or an option just begging to be integrated: the hacking interface on Narmer Consoles.

It's such a breath of fresh air compared to the old main two styles of hacking, though they both have their own appeals. I like that it makes you think in a different dimension than before and that it already has variants possible, without needing to entirely re-learn the basics.

The long and short of it is; I'm a sucker for the hacking and spy-type gameplay in Warframe (hence the 35k-odd console hacks) and would adore seeing this style explored more in future. Thoughts?

• Like 16

I liked it better than the current grineer and corpus ones. (narmer > corpus > grineer)

Grineer - twitch game

Corpus - awkward on controller

That said, not a fan of timed anything...the Ratchet and Clank games have had some interesting hacking puzzles I enjoyed.

• Like 1

Same, i liked both the Narmer Hacks and the Orokin Hacks from the Sacrifice.

Btw, does anyone know how exactly they worked? I am not really sure but for me it felt like:

• movement on on axis is normal, meaning it corresponds with our mouse-movement
  • movement on the other axis is either inverted or mirrored alongside the line which went through the circle
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

Same, i liked both the Narmer Hacks and the Orokin Hacks from the Sacrifice.

Btw, does anyone know how exactly they worked? I am not really sure but for me it felt like:

• movement on on axis is normal, meaning it corresponds with our mouse-movement
  • movement on the other axis is either inverted or mirrored alongside the line which went through the circle

Either one or both axes can be mirrored:

• Mirroring one axis (across the divider) creates a "box" behaviour, where moving left moves the mirrored cursor left.
    These seem to be shown more Vertically | or Horizontally —
    RK2P97c.png
    https://youtu.be/GZHBkuomCUU?t=4033
  • Mirroring both axes (across the divider and across a hidden axis perpendicular to the divider) creates a "circle" behaviour, where moving clockwise/counterclockwise moves the mirrored cursor clockwise/counterclockwise.
    These seem to be shown more Diagonally ∖  ∕
    dcsjMMt.png
    https://youtu.be/GZHBkuomCUU?t=4217

Excuse the Paint.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

Btw, does anyone know how exactly they worked? I am not really sure but for me it felt like

The line that splits the circle in half acts like a mirror, so going farther or closer is opposite, but going along the line is the same

Edited by -Krism-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

I loved it. But it was better on PC than Console. Maybe allow you to use Right Stick or Touch(pad/screen) (Switch/PS4/5)?

Yeah mainly this. Just make it so we control with the right analog stick instead of the left for variety. I mean we console players could reach over with our right thumb to the left stick but it doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

This puzzle is great, would love to see it in new narmer spy missions.

For some reason I tend to try to go to the opposite of the position I should go (maybe due to the mirror effect?) so for the first puzzle it took me 3 attempts.

So for me its harder than the corpus and grineer one 😅

I'll be honest, I am probably one of the only people who truly hated it. And I enjoy the hacking minigames in Warframe. 

But it sounds like I am vastly in the minority, so if it comes further into the game due to popularity, I'll suck it up and git gud. 

• Like 3

I imagine after a while they would be annoying (unless you can cipher them), but they were kinda fun because they were new.

It's one of those things where if you try and think about how to do it, it doesn't work... but if you just let your hands do it and don't think, it works :D

• Like 1

I loved them. It's a really interesting mechanic. It's reminiscent of but different than the existing hacking puzzles. And, to me, it sent a clear signal that in this quest I was really about to experience new things and a changed world.

• Like 2

I am kind of on the fence about them. I enjoyed them during the quest, and I feel like they would be fun to add outside of the quest, as long as we don't have to do them every 2 seconds as is the case right now with the other hacking minigames.

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb (PSN)max141064:

I liked them...but in the specific story mission. 

having such hacking interface in game as a normal interface like the grineer and corpus one? no. i think that would get annoying REAL QUICK.

I mean, Ciphers exist?