Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ogris VFX and "Reduced Teammate Visual Effects"

sunderthefirmament

There seems to be an Ogris/Nightwatch Napalm spammer in every mission.  And as much as I hate to see it, I don't blame them.  AOE is the most efficient way to grind in this game, so why wouldn't people use it?  I'm a shameless bramma spamma myself, but at least I set my energy color to purest black.  Ogris spammers might do that too, but the game ignores it.  EDIT: Ogris spammers can finally change their energy color, but it isn't enough.

Could we get the VFX from the relentless Ogris spam to actually respect "Reduced Teammate Visual Effects"?  And maybe the very Starfox 64 looking flames from the Nightwatch Napalm mod could respect weapon energy color too, allowing more considerate players to lessen the eye strain they are inflicting.  EDIT: Thanks for changing this, DE.  It now allows considerate players to reduce the pain they are causing with their spam.

Neither of these are new requests, yet these issues persist.  EDIT: In some ways, the Ogris spam has gotten worse.  In my anecdotal experience, most players tend to pick bright energy colors for their Ogris spam.

11 hours ago, B33rbrawl said:

Completely agree, I've tried everything. When this weapon is in your game its completely blinding and ruins the run for anyone who plays at max graphics.

Exactly.  I want to see cascades of particles when I'm the one causing them.  I don't want some rando crowding my screen with relentless vfx.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's patch notes:

• Adjusted the Ogris and Kuva Ogris Nightwatch Napalm FX to be cleaner and use energy color consistently. 

Customizability is definitely an improvement.  Works well with every color combo I've tried.  Black energy barely intrudes at all.  

With other colors the lingering flame effect is still there, but even at full effect intensity looks more transparent than what I remember.   I haven't seen it in mission yet, so no verdict on how significantly the troll potential is reduced.   I suppose it could even be increased with some energy color choices on certain tiles, but hey, at least we can be trolled with some variety.

Just tonight I have had at least one person in every run using this weapon and spamming it every where. I am at a point now if someone has this weapon at the start of a run I drop because everyone just spams it all over and the effects make it so you can't see. And using the hide visuals from other players does not do anything. This is the biggest thing used to grief other players besides the host dropping to bug railjack missions.

https://ibb.co/BTJTY8K

And that is not the worst one I have seen

I thought that when they addressed this, they would replace the ugly ball of fire with the "charred ground" visual effect that Hyekka Masters produce with their Napalm grenades. It is considerably less intrusive and even looks better.

It could maybe be a little confusing, but energy color exists and it would still be better to avoid the ground than to avoid your own screen lol.

7 hours ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

Just tonight I have had at least one person in every run using this weapon and spamming it every where. I am at a point now if someone has this weapon at the start of a run I drop because everyone just spams it all over and the effects make it so you can't see. And using the hide visuals from other players does not do anything. This is the biggest thing used to grief other players besides the host dropping to bug railjack missions.

https://ibb.co/BTJTY8K

And that is not the worst one I have seen

Yeah I had a cotton candy blue/pink spammer yesterday.  Luckily, when I said something like "Hey, play how you want, but if it were me I'd switch that to a darker energy color because the ogris ignores the reduced ally vfx option... don't mean to nag" the person responded positively and even switched to their secondary and said GG at the end of the incursion.  That's not always the case when talking to people who grief, either intentionally or unintentionally.

It should be on DE as the developers to remove the ability for players to grief, at least as much as they can.  The reduced ally vfx option needs to be improved.  The ogris needs to respect it.

9 hours ago, Venefik said:

I thought that when they addressed this, they would replace the ugly ball of fire with the "charred ground" visual effect that Hyekka Masters produce with their Napalm grenades. It is considerably less intrusive and even looks better.

The silly thing is that describes the original visual effect before it was changed to this mid-air thing.

16 hours ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

And using the hide visuals from other players does not do anything.

Turning down "Visual Effects Intensity" (now in the Accessibility menu) can help a lot depending on how low you go.    Obviously just  a workaround, not a solution.

2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Hmmm... good point. Time to clear the dust of my Secura Penta and the unrolled riven I've had for ages (this setup was originally intended for old Ember's passive, and it was perfect since the fire patches self damage was micro. Then the removal of self damage and her rework slapped my face right before I could pull it off 👀).

But back into topic, they can continue to fix it with more details and use the opportinity and apply these new rules to other pieces of gear. As an example, only the "main" projectile can create a fire ball, and the multishot is converted into extra damage for the fire patches. Or fire patches can fuse and become one, stronger single fire ball, like the simulor. This way, we would have less patches of fire and therefore, less stuff giving us eye cancer and killing our performance.

There is also an alternative of making only the last instance visible. All other instances still exist and do their stuff, but their visuals are disabled for everyone.

I know that it would be enough if the allied visual effect option worked properly, but I am of the opinion that it shouldn't rely 100% on that to not be blinding and obnoxious, as well as converting some energy colors into basically a sin.

• 4 months later...
On 2022-02-13 at 4:14 PM, Venefik said:

There is also an alternative of making only the last instance visible. All other instances still exist and do their stuff, but their visuals are disabled for everyone.

A creative solution, if you'll pardon the delayed response.  Your solution would also probably ease up on the demand this mod places on computers. 

I just wish that the reduced ally vfx option actually worked.  Until it does, for anyone reading this, kindly consider a dark energy color on your Ogris (and other AOE weapons) when playing with others.

On 2022-02-12 at 10:30 PM, Lord_Shadovar said:

This is the biggest thing used to grief other players

It's true.

DE, you have seriously got to force darker energy colors here, or make bright colors NOT ruin the game for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the problem. We just need foglight prime. Btw this picture was more or less taken for fun. We changed back to reasonable equipment and colors after that. But this is reduced visual FX. Also the new Eximus seem to ignore this fully btw.2022-06-19_4.png?width=1117&height=628

12 minutes ago, r3v3a13d said:

I don't see the problem. We just need foglight prime. Btw this picture was more or less taken for fun. We changed back to reasonable equipment and colors after that. But this is reduced visual FX. Also the new Eximus seem to ignore this fully btw.2022-06-19_4.png?width=1117&height=628

Lord have mercy.

Honestly, I think almost everything ignores "Reduced Teammate Visual Effects."  It feels like a placebo button at this point.

From Tiltskillet's Barrel Strength 2022 Private Reserve:

. . .

5 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Honestly, I think almost everything ignores "Reduced Teammate Visual Effects."

Maybe it reduces Teammate visual effects on -their- screens.  "Damn it, why can't I see my Napalm at all?  I'd better make it bright neon green..."

Archived