Music nerds - what exactly is going on between We All Lift Together and For Narmer?

Originally I thought For Narmer was just We All Lift Together in minor key (and slower), but now I'm not sure. I have exactly zero music training but I find this kind of thing fascinating and would love to know what someone who does have that education makes of FN as a reprise of/callback to WALT, what the name for this music thing is if there is one, how it so clearly sounds like the same song while also not being the same song, is this also a thing that happens in musical theatre, etc. Obviously the lyrics are a dark/inverted parallel, but I'm a writer and I don't have the language to accurately describe how the music itself backs this up. (Pretty sure "it sounds numb" is not a technically correct term.) What've y'all got?

Good topic. I've been pretty hooked on For Narmer because the vocals and overall production is so damn well done. It reminds me of "Put On A Smile" by Silk Sonic, where such a sad and powerfully written song is even further strengthened instrumentation that tries to lift you up but then solidifies that Fortuna is in acceptance of defeat. Great job sound engineering team!

10 hours ago, Krilexis said:

Found this video not too long ago.

To me the For Narmer is taking over on We all lift together, its so creepy and beautiful. One song kinda erases itself while the other one just grows.

Kinda sick how the lyrics of both mesh together but the overall meaning is similar to For Narmer lol!!!

• Like 1

Oh man, the sheer contrast between both the song's lyrics is very well done, like one sings of enslaved workers trying their best together to get them out of their debts working in the light and causing a hidden rebellion in the dark. But then, now they sing praises of being controlled and made to work for a power hunger person, kinda sad. The music/sound team always gets it right, regardless the update. Keith, George and their team are just too dedicated and talented in their sound thingy, much appreciated.

• Like 1

The link is more in the Lyrics. 'We all lift together' is about the Solaris having a joint wish of freedom, whereas 'For Narmer' is the complete opposite, with them wishing to remain under Ballas' control due to the Veil's influence.