Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Warframe 2022 Survey

[DE]Dudley

I for one am disappointed with the Post-War content because, outside of a bounty, there wasn't any. I can't say much due to spoilers but I'm providing full detailed feedback in the survey. 
I expected star-chart changes and mission reworks to already be on the horizon, reflecting the aftermath of a destructive System-wide war. It was the perfect excuse to implement the changes the community has been vying for. Not hearing that mentioned during the Devstream was a hard pill to swallow.

Changes due to New War

1. Spoiler
    1. Star-map changes to reflect the devastating aftermath of New War. (aka more locations in a similar state to Fortuna.)
    2. Enemy and mission changes that again reflect post New War. (Narmer)
    3. New Faction type (you know which one), and new alliances and improved relations between Tenno and Corpus/Grineer.
    4. Bosses and assassination nodes getting changed to reflect New War. Tentative alliances with Bosses would make sense given what happened and open the door for new rewards/mission rather than the same warframe part drop 30+ times.
    5. Sentient Derelicts or incursions where we side with Sentients. 

General changes

1. Less rinse-and-repeat missions. No one enjoys running the same missions over and over for rng drops or leveling. I know there are open worlds too, but MOST of your content is just rinse-and-repeat missions. I want to play the game more. Not rush through it as fast as I can to try to get a random item.
  2. Less Rng. Again I respect that we need this to some extent, but there is plenty of other content to spend platinum on. After I spend 12+ hours to get Mesa prime's neuroptics during Prime Resurgence due to awful RNG, I am burnt out. 
  3. Improved core gameplay. Missions, enemy scaling, rng drops, content outside of open world and re-running the same 5 bounties. Please.
  4. Fix the new-player lore gap. Alad V's fate after being infested was completely lost to new players and that's just one of multiple details that were only offered in one and done events. If not for veteran players and word of mouth, New players would have no idea what is going on. Utilize Leverian or some other platform to retell these events for new players. If we're moving the story forward, don't leave them in the dark.

Thanks!

If length was a concern then you really should've given the survey a much more narrower focus on just 1 or 2 aspects. Rather than trying to be very broad. I feel like the data provided is not going to reflect the communities expectations.

7 hours ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

Filled out the survey, but I think the questions/answers leave too much room for interpretation and misunderstanding.

I am not hopeful that my replies will be taken the right way.

Agreed, the results are going to result in a very biased outcome. Depending on what the goal is of the developers.

Hopefully they have additional data or feedback outside the survey to draw on.

For example: Racing was the most enjoyable thing in the open worlds for me. But theres no reason to do them so they're never done. There is allot of potential in that system if its developed further.

So when i score it higher what are they going to do exactly? 'players are happy with this we dont need to do anything to it' or 'players are happy with this lets flesh it out and make it better'.

11 hours ago, [DE]Dudley said:

Thanks for the question Tenno! This survey is not simply an engagement tool. Both the community team and the dev team genuinely want your feedback as we look ahead to what the rest of 2022 can have in store for Warframe. So rest assured that this feedback will be taken into consideration for developing Warframe further.

That's good to hear. I'm still skeptical just based on the past 8 years but I hope Warframe will finally improve in its core gameplay and systems this year and next.

Doing a survey is good, because even if it is flawed it produces much more reliable data than scanning the forum. However, surveying is not just asking a bunch of questions (something that could be called a quizz), but a way of producing relevant and statistically accurate information, which in turn makes designing the questions an important challenge.

While the survey in itself is a good thing (a way of communicating with players in a procedural way) and the results will be useful, the survey partly felt a bit amateurish. Several questions completely lacked the depth and resolution needed to produce relevant information on the actual subject of the question. In the world of surveying this leads to a "risk zone", where the party making decisions (DE in this case) "risks" interpreting the answers in other way than the party answering /us players) understood the question. Sometimes this is even intended, designing the survey to produce the answer you want (just top be clear: there is absolutely no indication of that in the Warframe survey).

An example of such a "fuzzy question" would be the generalized questions on "modding", since mixing Warframe modding, weapon modding and "total build" modding together makes it impossible to understand what players were actually answering. Warframes have distinct abilities and different stats leading to pretty big differences in how their builds can/should be focused, all this making modding extremely central, while the majority of weapons gets modded with the same 5-7 mods regardless of stats. And using companions, weapons and squad mates to strengthen/round off builds is something not every player engages in (but quite a few "higher MRs" do, since they understand how everything works together).

But overall this kind of surveying is a great idea, not only for game and DE, but also for us players. There are millions of "us" playing Warframe, and none of us really has a clue about who 99,999 % of the others are. You know your IRL friends, and some players share their thoughts (and their hearts) in the forums, but overall it's just a great indistinct mass/blob. An indistinct mass/blob we interact with and play with every time we play the game. I think surveys would and should be a great way to shine the light also on ourselves, why do we play, age, gender (yeah, I know, but still...), Warframe goals, other games and all those opinions about the game itself etc. etc.. It would add a bit more colour and contours to who we "the players" are. So I think surveys should be implemented as a recurring feature (together with unvaults, since those activates the playerbase, and using the same quarterly timeable?) and all the results should be shared openly with the playerbase in one "easy to find" place. The yearly stats (and other such data) would fit smoothly into that same package. And if DE would be willing to spice up the results further with the occasional commentary it would be even better. And finally, all this falls into the "a lot of bang for a few bucks", survey tools (and methodology) are readily available and sharing the results is about as complicated as using Excel (which of course also can be quite complicated, you should see my VBA-enhanced sheets... 🤪).  

2 hours ago, Galuf said:

I voted 0 for raids. You guys don't recall how crappy raids were back then, it is still a player hosted game and I have absolutely no reason to think that raids would be better now :).

I found that question "fuzzy" for exactly the same reason. Wanting the "old raids" back => 0, but wanting a new "everything fixed" raid system => 6.

And just as you point out, a challenging, complex, time-consuming, high-risk 8-player "missionry" just cannot be based in and on one of the participating player's computer and connection. It just can't. You might not need a lot of server power and infra to handle it (about as much as Zoom meeting), but you do need to hook it on/in a central, player-independent hub.

A slight hick-up in game flow/graphics when one player's computer melts down, loses connection or when a player leaves/rage-quits is ok. But throwing the whole squad into the infamous "flying through space while trying to transfer the mission"-procedure/screen is a huge NO!. Like "MEGA-huge".

16 hours ago, (NSW)RATHURUE said:

> Is it time for werewolf warframe?  

Never. Stop pushing an illusion of a choice to players.  

We already have Yareli, go fix her before making a new frame that's probably gonna be a mixture of Sevagoth (melee clawing attack), Valkyr (gains boosted melee damage and movement/attack speed) and Chroma (transformation ability).

Totaly YES ! How you can even make an werewold warframe and dont make crack in lore of the game . We need not a frame created from other but absolutely new one . 
Make old frames like Hydroid be more usefull and make them on the same lvl as good ones (Like Khora or something). 

6 hours ago, Erebus said:

Fix the new-player lore gap. Alad V's fate over being infested was completely lost to new players and that's just one of multiple details that were only offered in one and done events. If not for veteran players and word of mouth, New players would have no idea what is going on. Utilize Leverian or some other platform to retell these events for new players. If we're moving the story forward, don't leave them in the dark.

Could have linked all your suggestions, since I pretty much agree.

But one way to improve the immersion and connection between lore and gameplay would be to add a "storybook"-mode, where you could read/view and immerse yourself in the lore through existing (and new) media and directly play the lore-connected missions ("one click") The missions and the quests would still be the exact same missions/quests as on the star-chart and in the rest of the interface, just accessed through a different "path" and put in a different context based on "the story" and the "the lore". A sort of Leverian on steroids, if you will.

Everything "normal" would still apply (unlocking the star-chart, linking up with players etc. etc.), the only change would be the possibility to do the missions from inside a more coherent story/lore-perspective. That part of the lore is a bit "unclear" and that there are still gaps is not a problem, it just adds flavor (if implemented correctly). And if the concept was successful, it could act as a lore "focal point" which could even start living a life on it's own, growing continuously. DE has a lot of material already, and adding text, pics and short media clips is a lot less resource-consuming than adding new technical content. And as the New War showed, we are all suckers for a good story 🙂... 

4 hours ago, Galuf said:

I voted 0 for raids. You guys don't recall how crappy raids were back then, it is still a player hosted game and I have absolutely no reason to think that raids would be better now :).

Raids for me were fun because they were mostly clan-organized. I'd imagine random pubs being often awful, but why would someone want to play trials with random people. Clanmates actually got together to play through the daily trial on teamspeak for example. As for hosts - it was a matter of finding someone without an awful connection and I think that it's easier to do it now than it was back in 2015. I do think that with current peer-to-peer system warframe would be unreliable in terms of supporting a prolonged 8 player session if the host's internet is straight from 2005 or a common, unpatched bug appears and softlocks the mission, but if they can optimize it well enough then hell, why not.

Also, in terms of hosting and all the issues relating to hosting - I think that DE could invest into servers so we could finally breathe easier knowing that host migration wouldn't come after us or a mission doesn't glitch out because someone's latency is skyrocketing. Now, that being said - when crossplay happens I can imagine problems with p2p being overwhelming since I don't think that most people will be able to host well from their phone or console while being connected to wi-fi.

Alrighty, moving onto another topic:

Now for the two wish lists that bring up stuff that wasn't in the survey, one with spoilers and the other without.

Spoiler-Free List:

• Invest into servers, throw out the peer-to-peer system.
  • Put more care into testing for bugs so the players don't experience game-breaking issues.
  • Make Riven Disposition easier to access, going to wiki just to check if the disposition is 1 or 0.6 is frustrating.
  • Add an icon to relics indicating that they have been vaulted or a separate category for vaulted relics.
  • Make it able to load into simulacrum through orbiter.
  • Make obtaining higher MR more rewarding, the MR 30 rewards are alright but they don't encourage MR 16 John to grind his way to the top.
  • Implement new regular mission types with new mechanics, we need some fresh air.
  • Update the mesh and texture quality of older warframes, they look awful compared to new releases (Rhino for example).
  • Review how hard is it to obtain X. Some things are outrageously time consuming to obtain like Ash.
  • Make being in a clan more relevant - clan specific missions or events so people can come together.
  • Review the PvP system, it needs some love. More on that on the second list.
  • Dedicate extra resources to making hairstyles look like hairstyles (this should be top priority).
  • Revive tactical alerts.
  • Make voice chat more "known" and re-design it so it is more apparent that you are using it and can see who's talking.
  • Why do we even have that "moral compass" on our profiles? It shouldn't be used as a patch for illusion of a choice in quests and it servers no purpose.

Spoiler List:

Spoiler
  • Implement New War mechanics into everyday missions - new mission types that can only be played through drifter.
  • Please make drifter be able to handle normal weapons.
  • Expand on PvP through drifter, no abilities means fair game, only weapon choices matter.
  • Implement more engaging bosses, I enjoyed the boss fights in the quest, they actually required you to listen to Hunhow in order to find the best strategy against them. Current bosses in Warframe lack challenge and the difficulty measure is how many seconds it takes for you to erase them.
  • Make choices matter, picking lotus persona prompted a warning that you will not be able to change that decision which was completely untrue.

I think that covers my personal "I wish we had..." although there's certainly a lot of stuff that I couldn't think of at the time of writing this. I hope that this feedback helps and some ideas will be implemented one day.

8 hours ago, Galuf said:

Yet some of us also never had the chance to play raids, like myself, so of course we would NOT know if they were bad or not. I'm hoping they reintroduce that feature, so I can actually try it out for the first time. After that, I will be better able to formulate an opinion on the topic of raids.

my english is not very good but here we go.

It would be good if the operators put hats, of any kind, cowboy hat like the one on the Mesa, top hat like the ones on limbo, also a pvp mode between players or a rework to the conclave since it is very abandoned, and above all that the traveler can have the operator's outfits.

Thankyou 🤠❤️

22 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

My feedback is: please stop forgetting about archguns. You always seem to forget about them, and leave them out every time when talking about weapon balance. Even the survey forgot about them and only mentioned primaries, secondaries, and melee. Feels bad man.

I would have to agree based on my own concept of wanting to see a frame added that has a signature archwing or signature archgun. Also, I would have to agree with this statement for a fan concept warframe I made, which has an exalted weapon and exalted necramech, I was thinking of making the exalted weapon, a flamethrower/ nanite recycler that leeches shields, armor, and health from enemies that can be used to heal objectives, ability deployables, for example warframe turrets, and other warframes also be the concept warframe's signature archgun. However, I do not know if this concept archgun would be fairly balanced gameplay wise.

Il y a 8 heures, Graavarg a dit :

I found that question "fuzzy" for exactly the same reason. Wanting the "old raids" back => 0, but wanting a new "everything fixed" raid system => 6.

And just as you point out, a challenging, complex, time-consuming, high-risk 8-player "missionry" just cannot be based in and on one of the participating player's computer and connection. It just can't. You might not need a lot of server power and infra to handle it (about as much as Zoom meeting), but you do need to hook it on/in a central, player-independent hub.

A slight hick-up in game flow/graphics when one player's computer melts down, loses connection or when a player leaves/rage-quits is ok. But throwing the whole squad into the infamous "flying through space while trying to transfer the mission"-procedure/screen is a huge NO!. Like "MEGA-huge".

Could be a decent reason introducing b2p elements. I'd buy it even if there was no reward.

Il y a 5 heures, Maniokd a dit :

Raids for me were fun because they were mostly clan-organized. I'd imagine random pubs being often awful,

If the content is fair and makes sense it is possible to pug it. Organised teams are only mandatory for ladderboard things. In ff xiv for example, savage progression is done by the best players first, they do not need to be in a static group to progress as there are tons of very skilled players not having a fix party and those guys are no joke they may struggle to clear first boss a bit more but starting from the second one it's full tryhard best in slot perfect rotations territory(almost too robotic for my tastes), in wow it is very different because of the many limitations and retentions schemes implemented around PVE(from gearing to raid modalities). Collective intelligence is fine and random pubs were the same, 8 guys(yes there was 98%+ men back then ^^) on a TS ranting about finding secret cashes and on people failing the plates or the rj part in the 2nd one :). In Warframe it seems impossible to balance raids properly, DE managed to do something decent with Eidolons, something of the quality of Eidolons updated to today powerlevel doesn't seem attainable right now, there are too much factors, to many ways to absolutely break the game in so many different ways, it would need to be in a new war quest setup imho and it would not be warframe anymore. Also players have real big issues understanding and getting into new systems.

enemy spawns too low: YES
as a rhino main, I am acutely aware of the number of enemies that spawn because I need to rhino charge them.

1. Open world spawns are REALLY BAD. Too far, too little, keep control level above x% always fails but we actually have 100% control. (There are no enemies)
  2. Regular missions, only 16 enemies ever spawn in when solo. More when other players join but then I have to compete with time to get the charge in before they kill them
  3. Enemies should never stop spawning. Even in ESO, I can map clear Saryn and it becomes 50% down time, press 4 every 10 seconds.

guns balanced with melee: I lied

I had to say yes because in most situations, they are the same because of the new arcanes, but to be completely analytical, melee still better because there's no ramp up. Boss fights combined with low enemy spawns that 4 players are sharing makes it difficult to upkeep any weapon. Launcher on merciless arcanes are most reliable in regular missions. Deadhead works but I need a lot of punch-through and status kills don't count. For deadhead, it's better for lower level content. Dexterity is the highest duration, most reliable, but then that's going back to melee and not a direct gun balance buff like deadhead's headshot/recoil and merciless ammo/reload. If the deadhead had more reliable conditions, and the boss damage had the full damage bonus regardless of stacks, then guns and melee would truly be in equal footing on all content. To be fair, why do these gun arcanes need a conditions anyway? If I was trying to balance guns, the arcane condition should be: On Shot: 100% chance to gain 360% damage, "insert the rest of the arcane at max rank effects here"

While I really like answering how I feel about certain topics through the format of a survey, I feel like the formatting is way too biased towards certain development investments (open world content being a big one here). Some of these questions are heavily loaded or limited on responses to push a certain direction (Clan content questions do not include Operations/Dark Sectors/competition, questions about Boss mechanics does not include "gear importance", "Should Utility Mods play a bigger role in Modding?", etc.)

This survey has some elements that give me the impression DE already has commitments that they just want confirmation bias on that it isn't a bad basket to put their eggs in. I understand it is hard to squeeze the scope of some of these topics into multiple choice, and that also tells me that maybe it is better to revive community hot topics on the Forums and revisit how you guys make dev workshops as opposed to a survey that can never really hit the mark.

What Warframe would benefit most from 2022 and beyond is a communication stream where the years and years of feedback, bug reports, and predictions of mistakes are not given in vein but collected more regularly so DE can improve in where they head with some of their planned ambitions.

The Eximus rework is a bit worrisome when Galvanized Mods still do not work properly for many weapons and many players mod off false assumptions or use gear purely on social media attention rather than intuitive mechanics.

Archived