Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why did you force change one of MESA's most beautiful helmets to date?

Good morning or good evening, sorry for my broken english, I'm not good with x).

This thread will be written with sadness regarding the change in the look of the tennogen MESA insomnia skin by creator Goosmo.

I was looking forward to this skin (and I was not the only one) since it appeared on the warframe steam workshop.
I was waiting for him to join the next tennogen round, because such a beautiful skin could not be refused by DE...

But, for reasons that escape me, not only was he not taken but in addition, DE considered that the skin was not up to the standard of the game, which forced Goosmo to completely change the helmet (which, personally , I find hideous now).

See the difference yourself:

- the first version : E4q858_XIAAXhj0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

- the new version : ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

If ever DE, you read the lines of this thread, allow Goosmo to publish the original version of the MESA insomnia skin for the players who had voted for it and who were ready to buy it when it was released, because for many, it was the ultimate skin that our dear favorite gunslinger warframe could receive.

From a player who almost quit Warframe but continued thanks to MESA.

• Like 15

DE has an issue with 'eyes' on frames generally, but that kinda went out the window this round when they gave the go-ahead for that new Wisp Covern skin which also has 'eyes'.

Not sure why they asked for the helmet to be changed tbh, though both look great.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Ridley117 said:

But, for reasons that escape me, not only was he not taken but in addition, DE considered that the skin was not up to the standard of the game

You say the reason escapes you yet say it's because DE doesn't think it meets the standards of the game. Wat?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ridley117 said:

. . . which forced Goosmo to completely change the helmet (which, personally , I find hideous now

Gotta say I way prefer the new one.  The original is too anthropomorphic for my Warframe  tastes.  But I'm unlikely to buy any Mesa Tennogen regardless. 

Hopefully you can get something close to what you want sometime soon.

• Like 13

Please keep in mind that Tencent, a Chinese-based company, has a controlling stake in warframe and as such could have caused the final design to be altered and I think that is likely what caused the design change here. Please keep it civil and understand that this is just my thoughts here and I understand I may be totally wrong.

There are numerous factors such as compatibility with other cosmetics, personal design direction etc. that can cause a design's vision to shift and cause the original design to not be in-game, possibly including some that can't be disclosed for safety reasons. These factors are also a reason why there are many other designs on the workshop that probably aren't chosen.

Edited by XHADgaming
  • Like 1

Citation

DE has an issue with 'eyes' on frames generally, but that kinda went out the window this round when they gave the go-ahead for that new Wisp Covern skin which also has 'eyes'.

Not sure why they asked for the helmet to be changed tbh, though both look great.

And then it's not like most graxx skins also have "eyes" xD

Citation

You say the reason escapes you yet say it's because DE doesn't think it meets the standards of the game. Wat?

I wrote this because I don't know the exact rules of DE regarding tennogen skin choices (and I really feel like it's a bit off the cuff)

Citation

Gotta say I way prefer the new one.  The original is too anthropomorphic for my Warframe  tastes

everyone has their own tastes ^^

• Like 4

Glad to hear that you like the old one. I myself personally prefer the new one as i just find it more unique with a more interesting silhouette. Old one's design was just way too literal with looking like an actual human face. It has a literal hat, eyes, hair and ponytail, and even sort of mouth like elements with the face bandage. 

So this time i tried doing something less of that and more of something ambiguos, by mergeing the hat, head and hair as if they were molded together rather than seperate, which gives it a more organic look and flow. The replacement of eyes with asymmetric detail also makes it look less humane and makes you wonder if wether or not they are actual eyes. 

DE doesn't have an issue with eyes, they only have an issue with it when it becomes too human looking, i think this is where the confusions comes from. They are alot more forgiving with eyes, if you do it with other factions such as grineer and corpus.

People need to know regarding tennogen, that no matter how good your skin is, it won't matter if it doesn't fit the game.

But anyways, i'm happy with both versions.

Edited by Goosmo
  • Like 18

Citation

Glad to hear that you like the old one. I myself personally prefer the new one as i just find it more unique with a more interesting silhouette. Old one's design was just way too literal with looking like an actual human face. It has a literal hat, eyes, hair and ponytail, and even sort of mouth like elements with the face bandage. 

So this time i tried doing something less of that and more of something ambiguos, by mergeing the hat, head and hair as if they were molded together rather than seperate, which gives it a more organic look and flow. The replacement of eyes with asymmetric detail also makes it look less humane and makes you wonder if wether or not they are actual eyes. 

DE doesn't have an issue with eyes, they only have an issue with it when it becomes too human looking, i think this is where the confusions comes from. They are alot more forgiving with eyes, if you do it with other factions such as grineer and corpus.

People need to know regarding tennogen, that no matter how good your skin is, it won't matter if it doesn't fit the game.

I you, its creator, found the new version better, then i will respect the change. Personally, it's true that I've been waiting (the old version) for this skin for a           long time. I created this  topic 5 min after discovering the v2 version and yes, I probably reacted with too much emotion. I'll still buy the skin, because even       if I like it much less than the old one, it's still a MESA skin and I'm still a big fanboy of this XD warframe. Thank you for your answer and the explanation             regarding what DE has as selection criteria for tennogen skins.

Edited by Ridley117
  • Like 4

On 2022-03-08 at 6:47 AM, Goosmo said:

DE doesn't have an issue with eyes, they only have an issue with it when it becomes too human looking,

I personally believe that having some semi human looking skins would do some good to show the warframe as "armour" so to speak.

especially with the new [REDACTED TEXT] after the recent big quest. I like the idea of my Tenno wearing the warframe as armour(or....to be more precise, manifesting the "armour" in a similar way our weapons warp into existence when the "hidden when holstered" option is toggled on.)

it gives me dark sector vibes.

on the other hand, some warframes would look friggin WEIRD with eyes.

On 2022-03-08 at 6:47 AM, Goosmo said:

Well that's some hypocritical BS on their part then. Mesa has several Tennogens with literal hats, her Prime has a cowboy hat, her Deluxe has a Spanish Conquistador helmet, Limbo has top hats, Ivara has a Robin hood hat...
I'm sorry they made you change a beautiful design on such a flimsy basis. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

Well that's some hypocritical BS on their part then. Mesa has several Tennogens with literal hats, her Prime has a cowboy hat, her Deluxe has a Spanish Conquistador helmet, Limbo has top hats, Ivara has a Robin hood hat...
I'm sorry they made you change a beautiful design on such a flimsy basis. 

Well it's not entirely bs. All those hats you mentioned looks like they are merged with the head, which gives it an organic look, something that the tenno faction is all about. Even the deluxe, which has their own set of rules. Especially limbo, you would not be able to tell that he could take his hat off until he actually does. At first glance, it really looks like its an extension to his head. My old helmet totally lacked this, and the hat wasn't the only problem, just one of them. If you were to do something that looks like hair, then like the hats, you would have to take a more subtle approach. Isolating these elements too much instead of abstractly merging them might produce a far too literal result.

• Like 5

On 2022-03-08 at 10:37 AM, XHADgaming said:

Please keep in mind that Tencent, a Chinese-based company, has a controlling stake in warframe and as such could have caused the final design to be altered

DE explicitly said they would keep creative control of warframe, that applies to skins.

• Like 6

On 2022-03-07 at 6:39 PM, Ridley117 said:

Good morning or good evening, sorry for my broken english, I'm not good with x).

This thread will be written with sadness regarding the change in the look of the tennogen MESA insomnia skin by creator Goosmo.

I was looking forward to this skin (and I was not the only one) since it appeared on the warframe steam workshop.
I was waiting for him to join the next tennogen round, because such a beautiful skin could not be refused by DE...

But, for reasons that escape me, not only was he not taken but in addition, DE considered that the skin was not up to the standard of the game, which forced Goosmo to completely change the helmet (which, personally , I find hideous now).

If ever DE, you read the lines of this thread, allow Goosmo to publish the original version of the MESA insomnia skin for the players who had voted for it and who were ready to buy it when it was released, because for many, it was the ultimate skin that our dear favorite gunslinger warframe could receive.

goth agree with you, doesn't look appealing compared to the old one, it's just strange, a mass that I can not identify meaning, if the problem was the eyes, just take it off, not change all the concept, just damnn, it's sad.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2022-03-07 at 7:07 PM, XHADgaming said:

Please keep in mind that Tencent, a Chinese-based company, has a controlling stake in warframe and as such could have caused the final design to be altered and I think that is likely what caused the design change here. Please keep it civil and understand that this is just my thoughts here and I understand I may be totally wrong.

There are numerous factors such as compatibility with other cosmetics, personal design direction etc. that can cause a design's vision to shift and cause the original design to not be in-game, possibly including some that can't be disclosed for safety reasons. These factors are also a reason why there are many other designs on the workshop that probably aren't chosen.

oh no, it's the dreaded Chinese again! Curses! (/sarcasm)

Tencent doesn't give a rat's butt what DE does with Tennogen skins, take off the tinfoil hat. Besides the fact that it's such a minor issue, Tencent, like most big conglomerate parent companies, cares that DE is profitable for them and maintains that profit. A single cosmetic is nothing to them. Most game details, if not all, are uninteresting to them as long as DE maintains its profitability.

You know, racism against the Chinese has a long and storied history in the US, don't know where you live though. But often throughout the 20th century to now, if not earlier, it has been easy to blame the Chinese as a sort of boogeyman that is ruining this or that. The fear some members of the playerbase have and how they always make sure to stress that Tencent is a Chinese company is pretty clearly rooted in racism, (because Amazon and other big corporations in the US are way more moral and great, again that's sarcasm,)

Anyway, maybe there's an off chance you are not being racist, if so, you might want to reevaluate the issue because the stress on how Tencent is Chinese is a pretty big dogwhistle.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I Don't know either......So basically, what was the problem on the helmet? The hat? In that case all the mesa helmet should go out the window and all the Limbo one. The hair? Saryn and Wisp already got haired helmet, also if we count the cord hairs Valkyr and Octavia could join the list, not mention Excal Deluxe skin that has ponytail on it. I was planning to buy this skin, until they forced to change her helmet. And not just me, i see a dozen people say this too. Other people just meh on it. I think it won't sell very well. I hope Goosmoo will create a skin that DE's "creative" team won't ruin.

5 hours ago, Dreadlox said:

I Don't know either......So basically, what was the problem on the helmet? The hat? In that case all the mesa helmet should go out the window and all the Limbo one. The hair? Saryn and Wisp already got haired helmet, also if we count the cord hairs Valkyr and Octavia could join the list, not mention Excal Deluxe skin that has ponytail on it. I was planning to buy this skin, until they forced to change her helmet. And not just me, i see a dozen people say this too. Other people just meh on it. I think it won't sell very well. I hope Goosmoo will create a skin that DE's "creative" team won't ruin.

Goosmoo already explained it here. Read his replies.

Its not a problem with hats or whether it has anthomorphic features, its because said anthomorphic features are appearing far too literal.

40 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

Goosmoo already explained it here. Read his replies.

Its not a problem with hats or whether it has anthomorphic features, its because said anthomorphic features are appearing far too literal.

Well, shame. As i said, now its not look as good as first. Rules here and there its still a dealbreaker. I would payed double if they make a vote. 

• 3 months later...
On 2022-03-07 at 4:39 PM, Ridley117 said:

I think both helmets should be available and both look great imo.

• 3 months later...