Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus School System Rework - A Broad Overview

[DE]Megan

Just now, (PSN)bitraiser said:

Honestly, it's a bit op. Can wreck nearly anything that isn't immune to it with little effort. This nerf makes sense. 

I guess, but it was still really niche imo.
it was poor for crowd control due to limited range, even with Unairu's waybound buffing the radius.

Its only real usage was single target damage. Shining on large health tanks or bosses, and even then not all bosses were effected by it.

On top of that, it had diminishing returns, the more you used it on an enemy, the less the duration would last on subsequent usage.

I personally only ever used it against a select few bosses, Thumpers and Disruption Targets.

Outside of those few things, it was completely niche.

24 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:
  1. All your Focus points will be returned to their respective School. 

1. I.e. my 5,000,000 Focus points I put into Madurai will be returned to that School for me to freely re-spec how I want.

2. Any Focus points you’ve spent on upgrading your Pool capacity will be returned to you in the form of Radiant Eidolon shards via Inbox, which you can convert into Focus points for a School of your choosing.

Still can't say I like the change of void dash and I have some concerns over certain abilities, their cooldowns and operator 'energy' but they're not the main issue at this point for me.

Why is it with this rework we still don't have a central pool for focus points and are still lumbered with the school specific focus grind.

We can only use one focus school at a time and based on the devstream the 'bonus focus' on specific kills will go to the active focus school, which will likely be the highest levelled school a player has and has less need for said focus... I would prefer to get a 'universal token' to the same value instead which could be used on any focus school.

If you're going to 'rework' focus/operators and miss off one of the biggest issues that many players have I can only assume this is more about plat (from mutiple different lenses) than 'quality of life'.  I think that is the wrong decision if you want people to use more than one focus school.

il y a 18 minutes, [DE]Megan a dit :

thirdly, removal of Void Blast to allow Melee inputs to cause automatic Transference from Operator to Warframe.

remove half of the way to make  kuva guardian vulnerable  .... and the one who permit to stand in front of it to  kil it easily .....

Révélation

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Kuva_Guardian  you know thoose guys who are invulnerable until you blast them or void dash em)

and as a zenurik user have no more way i save my mate after a revive  (since i revive in void cloak  (and atract mob now) and void blast (who do electric with zenurik) just after revive ally soo he have more than 1 sec to act ...)

I'm a bit woried about thoose changement.

I still genuinely do not like the way Void Blast is being replaced. Most of this does sound good, but the mechanic of summoning your Warframe over and having it use the melee attack instead of having the Operator with their own power just... sounds clunky and weird to me. I'm sure I'll adapt, I just don't like it aesthetically.

3 minutes ago, --ZeRo-- said:

This'll probably get drowned out, so i'll keep it short. Overall, the focus changes are good, But the 40s cooldown on Void Strike, that's just not necessary. You took something that was strong and fun and added a damage cap(fine) + cooldown(not fine). The ability is powerful and does need a cooldown to balance it, but not 40s. Just feels like a massive FU to eidolon hunters.

its a 1000% damage increase at minimum basically, what do you mean 'too long' of a cooldown? assuming you don't miss a single hit and keep attacking for the 8 second duration thats a lot of damage... 100 damage per second becomes 100000 damage per second, that's what? 800000 damage in that 8 second timer, and your complaining about a long cooldown? Purely from a number perspective 40 seconds is too generous imo for the damage you can reach with that. Assuming I did my maths correctly.

Super excited to get my hands on these changes, they feel intended to work with the greater game as a whole. a little surprised as I had imagined there would be a push to remove direct melee focuses on skill trees, or for there to be some additions for Primary and Secondary weapons aswell. 
My one issue with all of these changes is that I can't enjoy the synergistic gameplay in a smooth flow state as intended while playing Yareli with Merulina. 

Oh no...power spike 😰

Edit: they've MOVED I thought it said "been removed" and I was like boo I just got the venka p too

Okay IN THAT CASE my only sad is that no more void blast will be weird, as well as the new jump mechanic. Not super bad tho, just gonna feel weird at first. I'm sure it will be good after though 👌🏻

27 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Void Blast to Warframe Melee Transfer

Melee input while using your Operator will now instantly Transfer to your Warframe and perform a Melee attack. 

Sounds stupid. I hope you know what you're doing, because I'd rather have an operator plan B than go back to my Warframe. At least that sounds spammable, so I can heal with the arcane. 

28 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

The Sling is sent out in the direction the camera is facing once fully charged, or upon release.

Why isn't it just Wisp's 2? It seems like sending a sling and using suppressing fire with the Amp until it's charged should be the best course of action, from what was described, but maybe I didn't understand it properly? 

The changes to void strike and unairu wisp will kill off eidolons. Void dash change is still garbage in my opinion, it was fine the way it was. void strike only being good for 1 attack then having a 40 second cooldown will mean eidolon shield may no longer be able to be consistently one-shot. Eidolon is down for 20 seconds in between shields. unairu wisp procing from caustic strike which strips armor so eidolon will always be stripped of armor now just to generate wisps, so they are no longer vulnerable to radiation damage. DE made this rework based around core gameplay and forgot eidolons, and a portion of the player base likes them, exist from the sound of things.

30 minutes ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I still think the operators should have gotten other improvements before focus improvements. The biggest thing they need is better movement, like increased sprint speed, knockdown recovery and more.

Like I keep saying the operator needs to be good on their own if we are going to use them.

This, one million times, animation included

And the evasion should be like Vergil's one in Devil May Cry, basically short teleportations

4 minutes ago, toudy49 said:

remove half of the way to make  kuva guardian vulnerable  .... and the one who permit to stand in front of it to  kil it easily .....

Reveal hidden contents

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Kuva_Guardian  you know thoose guys who are invulnerable until you blast them or void dash em)

and as a zenurik user have no more way i save my mate after a revive  (since i revive in void cloak  (and atract mob now) and void blast (who do electric with zenurik) just after revive ally soo he have more than 1 sec to act ...)

I'm a bit woried about thoose changement.

I mean, they've said you now just need to Void Sling through them, if anything its easier to make them vulnerable now.

Also players are naturally invincible for a few seconds after being revived and probably will be forever, so the changes are fine I'd say. If anything, the changes would make it easier in a way as you can just... pop a double energy area on him to grant bonus damage after they get up to clear the area solo. At least if you stay Zenurik.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)KawaiiAsa said:

its a 1000% damage increase at minimum basically, what do you mean 'too long' of a cooldown? assuming you don't miss a single hit and keep attacking for the 8 second duration thats a lot of damage... 100 damage per second becomes 100000 damage per second, that's what? 800000 damage in that 8 second timer, and your complaining about a long cooldown? Purely from a number perspective 40 seconds is too generous imo for the damage you can reach with that. Assuming I did my maths correctly.

100 damage a second becomes 1100 damage a second. You did not do your maths correctly. You did a 1000x damage multiplier, not a 1000% damage buff.

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)KawaiiAsa said:

It went from something that could do more damage than that to something that has a damage cap and a long cool down. The damage isn't the issue here, we'll still be able to take down eidolon shields without much issue. I agree that there should be a cooldown on it to balance it out, but not 40s, that's way too long.

Void strike has been a thing since focus was introduced, it's always been extremely powerful and it takes a lot of skill to use properly in an eidolon hunt. They've effectively reduced the potential damage output of it, added a cooldown, and took all the skill out of it.

Gonna miss Madurai's Flame Blast (even though it was niche as all hell, but kamehameha) but what it has been replaced with is mountains better. I echo the comments on Void Strike's CD being a little long/duration short. Have either the duration longer, or the CD shorter.

Thanks a ton for increasing the speed of the new void dash. Looking much better.

Over all I'm really looking forward to this. The Eidolon community need to hold their horses. Stop focusing on the one ability and open your eyes to the others. So many Operator damage buffs going on here, it's nuts.

Looking forward to finally dumping Zenurik for the most part and moving on to Madurai. Operator mains, unite!

Just now, Purplemen101 said:

100 damage a second becomes 1100 damage a second. You did not do your maths correctly. You did a 1000x damage multiplier, not a 1000% damage buff.

yeah, sorry, maths ain't my forte... but its still quite a big increase, especially if you want to add it to the other numbers you can reach and the default numbers amps already have, not even getting into warframe weaponry.

I still think people are just over-reacting a bit about it because they lost their funny "I don't wanna play the game" button, and thats coming from a Madurai user...

33 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Hi, I noticed a nerf to one of my favourite Focus abilities in the game and wondered if I could get some feedback on why it was changed.

I forgot what it was renamed to on the Devstream but in the current build it's Zenurik's Temporal Blast.

Where using Void Blast would slow enemies by 80% for 15s

In the Devstream I noticed it got changed from 15s to 10s.

Is there any reason for that? As it was already an ability with a low area of effect. Has it been given a bigger area of effect or etc to compensate?

EDIT: Here's screenshots.

Current Build: 1IzBCV5.png

Devstream: 3q4YrVb.png

Well, it's now a radial burst instead of the small blast in front of you. You'll probably effect more enemies this way, hence the 15>10sec. 

But that's just what I think they did haha

Here's my concern with the way the Void Dash changes keep being presented: current Void Dash actually does provide near-perfect control as long as you can aim and aren't playing on a pad. Any rework motivated by the desire to make it "more precise" is inherently suspect because the only thing that makes it imprecise is user error.

The main thing I'm worried about is the "charge up to go further" aspect, which sounds horrifically clunky. I noticed during the devstream that at least the operator's body no longer seems subject to gravity while the sling is being charged, which is better, but better still would be to not force a choice between speed of activation and distance traveled in the first place. The existing system, notably, already accomplishes this; if you need to stop short, you aimed into an obstacle. This created a very small use-case where Void Dash couldn't deliver you to certain locations, but in traditional Warframe levels obstacles are everywhere, and in open world you have a million other range- and urgency-appropriate means of travel, so it almost literally never mattered.

Far more importantly, both traveling a long distance and a short distance in Void Mode required no additional activation time. No charging up, no "hold to activate", just point and press a button and bam, you're there. Any replacement for Void Dash should work the same way, or it's a step backwards. It's possible there's some other arrangement that both preserves that immediacy but also covers the tiny little sliver of potential destinations that "aim at an obstacle to stop short" didn't, but until Void Sling does that, it's garbage.

Sounds really good. Excited to see how it feels in my hands.

Also, I'm asking once again: PLEASE look into lens drop spots. I don't care that they're rare but i am literally begging, just make them drop from more places. I hate grinding the SAME bounty 5 on Plains more than mopping up floors. I would literally rather wash dishes than play another hour of the bounty 5 on Eidolon. Make them available in more different places. Like, i don't care, give them 0.00000005 drop chance, just don't make it ONE mission. I get one blueprint for every ~4 hours of grinding it. It is more mind-numbing than reading nietzsche.

I didn't care too much about grinding focus before because the focus schools were mostly not worth the grind they take to get, but they will be getting better in like 2 weeks and many people will be going back to grind for more lenses. Review those drop locations.

Archived