Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternox: Why it's so weak and how to fix it.

LagartoPunkarra

So, everyone knows the Alternox at this point. That cool looking plasma caster style rifle that everyone is bashing (and justified) because it's too weak. However, why it's so weak? Let's analyze its stats:

• Primary fire damage: 62 Electric, it's in the lower side.
  • Alt fire damage: 50 IPS when contact, 50 Electric/s for 10 seconds in a 6 meter radius, again in the lower side.
  • Primary fire Status: 30%, pretty high.
  • Alt fire Status: 44%, really high.
  • Primary fire Critical: 14% with a 2.2x, low chance, but can be used with enough fire rate.
  • Alt fire Critical: 2% with a 2x, worthless.
  • Fire Rate: 4.33, a bit on the low side.

As we can see, we have a couple of issues. First, the damage is too low for its own good, specially when it's pure Electric. Second, the critical chance of the primary fire is low for the fire rate it has. And third, the secondary fire doesn't do much.

So, I suggest a couple of solutions to fix the weapon and make it better.

1. More damage: Having the weapon deal more damage at base would be the easy solution. 100 Electric for the Primary fire, 90 IPS with 90 Electric/s for the secondary fire. This would make this gun better while mantaining the plasma caster feel it has.
  2. More fire rate: Making the weapon shoot faster would make it feel more like a projectile assault rifle. A fire rate between 5.5 and 6 would make things work better for the weapon. Also, making the alt fire deal the damage quicker would help a little.
  3. More crit: Making the weapon have more crit would make it scale much better. 20% with a 2.4x for the primary fire would make the weapon crit more and have the sweet sweet Hunter Munitions slashes. This would make the alt fire not being used as often, more as a more reliable way of applying status.

And for everyone saying "but we have bad weapons already, why I should care for this one?". Easy, in the future, this weapon has a high chance to be primed alongside Gyre, and it will be a travesty, so if we get the base weapon buffed then we can have a better version in the future.

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Vampire_Mika said:

i really want to love it, but  its flat out inferior to all the new guns, like the Aeolak is better in every way. which sucks because i love everything about the  Alternox. but its just too weak compared to other weapons.

Yeah, I love the Alternox despite being just... bad. I even bought a riven for it for cheap in the hopes to somehow make it work without needing a full clip to kill a Lvl 155 enemy.

...I'm still working on it.

21 minutes ago, ElecDeathblade said:

Yeah, I love the Alternox despite being just... bad. I even bought a riven for it for cheap in the hopes to somehow make it work without needing a full clip to kill a Lvl 155 enemy.

...I'm still working on it.

same! i bought a riven too. hopefully it gets buffed but i have a feeling it will be a gun thats only good with a riven due to high disposition from lack of use sadly.

It seems to me like it's made to toss the alt fire into one of Gyre min-vortices to ramp up her passive, but it's debatable whether I'd really find that worthwhile. Any pure status weapon with no crit is kind of doomed to be a primer.

2 hours ago, Sojufueled said:

It seems to me like it's made to toss the alt fire into one of Gyre min-vortices to ramp up her passive, but it's debatable whether I'd really find that worthwhile. Any pure status weapon with no crit is kind of doomed to be a primer.

better to just use a beam weapon that has a high RoF  like the amprex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they'll buff this gun. I love it and Forma'd it. alternative fire works well with Protea's playstyle of multitasking. primary I love its like Lucio's gun in OW which I was pretty good playing. Best way is to spread projectiles by moving side to side. 

Looks of the gun is amazing too it's almost like archgun and also reminds me of Ratchet & Clank series guns it being pretty big and all. 

Proton_Drum_gameplay.png

Alt fire actually is pretty similar to Proton Drum from Ratchet & Clank 2016 game. 

It could be buffed, but I don't think it's horrible. It's really easy to mod over 100% base status chance, and it gives you two sources of status procs at once if you combine the primary-fire and alt-fire.

The base stats also don't mention the primary fire has infinite punchthrough on bodies, and the alt-fire AoE isn't blocked by anything. Seems like this thing is built around killing crowds. Doesn't hurt that the alt-fire gives it some versatility, if you alt-fire one group of enemies or the map while focus-firing another.

Fire rate is where it really suffers IMO, and a buff there would make it feel better and boost DPS a bit.

On 2022-05-09 at 10:06 PM, ElecDeathblade said:

So, everyone knows the Alternox at this point

No everyone but Go On....

So, I suggest a couple of solutions to fix the weapon and make it better.

1. More damage: 
  2. More fire rate: 
  3. More crit: 

Uhm no....

We already have a Bunch Of Weapons that Do That Already....

If you want to kill Stuff... Simply Use One Of Those....

And for everyone saying "but we have bad weapons already, why I should care for this one?". Easy, in the future, this weapon has a high chance to be primed alongside Gyre, and it will be a travesty, so if we get the base weapon buffed then we can have a better version in the future.

Or they can just pull another Corinth Prime On Us.... Which was a Downgrade to Vanilla Corinth.... 😝

Also just because The Alternox is Bad at Killing... Doesn't mean it's Bad in General....

On 2022-05-20 at 10:23 AM, Lutesque said:

Also just because The Alternox is Bad at Killing... Doesn't mean it's Bad in General....

It's actually barely useable with Gyre because she can crit boost it by just dealing damage with it.

Just barely, I needed a crit chance + crit damage riven so I can use it cormftably in Steel Path with her.

Or they can just pull another Corinth Prime On Us.... Which was a Downgrade to Vanilla Corinth.... 😝

Corinth Prime has equal base damage to Corinth, distributed differently, with a more useable Air Burst shot, higher status chance, a higher burst DPS because of the higher fire rate and magazine, all of that at the cost of having a magazine instead of being shell fed.

If that's a downgrade then you must be fun at parties.

4 hours ago, ElecDeathblade said:

It's actually barely useable with Gyre because she can crit boost it by just dealing damage with it.

Just barely, I needed a crit chance + crit damage riven so I can use it cormftably in Steel Path with her.

That's one Warframe down....

Try the other 48 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, ElecDeathblade said:

Corinth Prime has equal base damage to Corinth, distributed differently, with a more useable Air Burst shot, higher status chance, a higher burst DPS because of the higher fire rate and magazine, all of that at the cost of having a magazine instead of being shell fed.

Exactly.... Straight Up Garbage....

Vanilla Corinth FOR LYFE 😎 !!!

12 hours ago, Lutesque said:

That's one Warframe down....

Try the other 48 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harrow, Xaku, Rhino, Chroma, Mirage... any other Warframe that has an ability to enhance the damage of any weapon.

And because some of those damage enhancement abilities can be subdued and placed on any Warframe, your point falls flat. The weapon is barely useable because of this.

12 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Exactly.... Straight Up Garbage....

Vanilla Corinth FOR LYFE 😎 !!!

Yep, you're "fun" at parties

So after playing with it more, I sort of see why people would think it's weak... at first. It's one of those misleading weapons that does feel kind of lackluster until you put some mod work into it. I did, and it's been pretty reliable for everything I've been taking it into. It's not a nuke, but it feels like a pretty solid status rifle if you want it to be.

Build I've been running so far, nothing super special. Just a pile of status, some Galvanized mods (which, at this point in the game, you should have access to), and a speed mod for comfort:

Spoiler

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/471049289469263872/979306383667265586/Screenshot_20220526_025320.png

On 2022-05-23 at 5:01 PM, ElecDeathblade said:

Harrow, Xaku, Rhino, Chroma, Mirage... any other Warframe that has an ability to enhance the damage of any weapon.

Perhaps try something other than Enhance the Weapon's Damage... 🤔

4 hours ago, Pakaku said:

So after playing with it more, I sort of see why people would think it's weak... at first. It's one of those misleading weapons that does feel kind of lackluster until you put some mod work into it. I did, and it's been pretty reliable for everything I've been taking it into. It's not a nuke, but it feels like a pretty solid status rifle if you want it to be.

Build I've been running so far, nothing super special. Just a pile of status, some Galvanized mods (which, at this point in the game, you should have access to), and a speed mod for comfort:

Hide contents

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/471049289469263872/979306383667265586/Screenshot_20220526_025320.png

Interesting... I have Radiation and Cold on Mine....

One Property about The Alternox I really like is how the Alt Fire Just Sticks to Enemies....

It goes Where ever they go and Spreads Status Along The Way 😝

22 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Perhaps try something other than Enhance the Weapon's Damage... 🤔

Nyx's Psychic Bolts that can strip all armor and shields then?

Your argument is that it's not a bad weapon, and it's not, it isn't like the Stug or the base Kraken, but it still needs a buff because it underperforms on its own.

Also, I can't take you 100% seriously when you dropped this gem:

On 2022-05-27 at 2:48 PM, ElecDeathblade said:

Nyx's Psychic Bolts that can strip all armor and shields then?

No.... Because Thats Effectively the exact same thing as Trying to increase the Weapons Damage....

If you keep forcing it to do clearly what it was NOT designed to do then it's Obviously not going to perform well... 👀

On 2022-05-27 at 2:48 PM, ElecDeathblade said:

Also, I can't take you 100% seriously when you dropped this gem:

Hey You do you, Homie....

Corinth is Still the Better Weapon... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 2022-05-29 at 8:57 AM, Lutesque said:

If you keep forcing it to do clearly what it was NOT designed to do then it's Obviously not going to perform well... 👀

I'm not going to keep arguing with you, the weapon needs a little buff. If you justify the low DPS with "it's for spreading status" then you're not smart because we have guns that also spread status and have high DPS like Amprex, Ignis Wraith, Kuva Nukor and Tenet Cycron.

5 hours ago, ElecDeathblade said:

I'm not going to keep arguing with you, the weapon needs a little buff. If you justify the low DPS with "it's for spreading status" then you're not smart because we have guns that also spread status and have high DPS like Amprex, Ignis Wraith, Kuva Nukor and Tenet Cycron.

You're comparing an auto-rifle to a chain-beam weapon, the Nukor especially. Kind of an unfair comparison when almost nothing else compares to it either.

17 hours ago, Pakaku said:

You're comparing an auto-rifle to a chain-beam weapon, the Nukor especially. Kind of an unfair comparison when almost nothing else compares to it either.

And it's also unfair comparing this auto-rifle to 90% of the other auto-rifles in the game. Even in the same update that the Alternox got introduced we got the Aeolak, an auto-rifle that is better in everything to the Alternox.

So yeah, would be nice to get a little buff on the Alternox, I really like the weapon and I would like it to be just worth it to use without having to depend on Warframe abilities buffing the crap out of it.

On 2022-06-01 at 6:29 PM, (PSN)Worta696 said:

How is this weak? The moment You stack your mods it shreds everything.

What setup and arcanes do you used? Because that weapon isn't capable of doing that by itself.

And even if you're capable of doing that, the weapon is still weaker than it should, there are other weapons that can do what you did there faster.

Archived