No more active focus tree

Posted (edited)

With the new update DE made pretty good changes to focus. My main struggles in the pervious versions were that focus was something you could only obtain by playing a particular way (Farm eidolons or do stealth missions, which never felt good. Kind of had the same treatment as leveling gear and warframes. You'd just promise to stop having fun and do repetitive things over and over again until you reached a certain number. This always stopped me from exploring other focus trees. I never wanted to sink my teeth into 5 whole trees at once when 1 tree was already taking me years to get the good stuff. With the Zariman update, I was relieved that I could get upwards of 25k focus per exterminate run. Plus the boss can be beat with any normal build, the mini bosses too are fun, so it never feels like a drag.

But it's when I noticed operators can only have 2 abilities, even though there's a good chance they could have 4, it got me wondering why all of the focus trees are separated in gameplay. Why can't my attention in one school follow me into another? From a gameplay perspective, I cannot see how allowing all operator abilities from all trees to be waybounds so you can mix and match up to 4 of them would damage the balance. I say this confidently because even with 2 abilities, it can be easy to run out of energy quickly. With the addition of another 2 abilities, you'd sink your energy even faster. So there's no way it could be as overpowered as it sounds. The only thing restricting operators to 2 powers does is box us in from mission to mission, when in a lore/gameplay perspective there should be no reason why an operator wouldn't be able to use the abilities they have already learned just because they are focusing on one school. I say instead of letting us switch between focus between missions when it doesn't really matter, let us prepare and be able to quasi-switch schools during missions when it is actually convenient.

Edited by banana_phone

On 2022-05-12 at 3:20 PM, (PSN)isbergen said:

Operator subsume! :-) Seriously, that would be cool. If you max a school. You can then subsume the one or two ability onto another school.

More like how way-bounds skills work, you could spend a lot of points and maybe a shard or more to unlock the abilities for other trees, but you would have to choose carefully which ones you want. 

I wish amps and other assembling type weapons could be changed. It’s really the main part that does the damage that the affinity comes from, be nice if you could change the other parts instead of being forced to create another. Especially when you’re limited on slots. Basically if you choose an assembling weapon, the first thing you grab is the main part where the affinity comes from which is the picture displayed for the weapon, afterwards the game will pull up a menu of the other parts for you to choose to fully assemble your weapon. Could copy and save a set-up to be immediately chosen for quicker selection. 

To me that would allow more creative on the go options vs having to craft every single combination.

On 2022-05-13 at 4:21 PM, (PSN)chris1pat8twins said:

More like how way-bounds skills work, you could spend a lot of points and maybe a shard or more to unlock the abilities for other trees, but you would have to choose carefully which ones you want. 

I wish amps and other assembling type weapons could be changed. It’s really the main part that does the damage that the affinity comes from, be nice if you could change the other parts instead of being forced to create another. Especially when you’re limited on slots. Basically if you choose an assembling weapon, the first thing you grab is the main part where the affinity comes from which is the picture displayed for the weapon, afterwards the game will pull up a menu of the other parts for you to choose to fully assemble your weapon. Could copy and save a set-up to be immediately chosen for quicker selection. 

To me that would allow more creative on the go options vs having to craft every single combination.

I agree wholeheartedly. Although I'm not sure whether it is a developer limitation with the fundamental code they've built for the equipment as a whole or if it is a design choice to force players to sink more time and grind into building every variation of amp they want to experiment with. The later is almost expected, after all, DE is a company that is driven by active players and platinum purchases. Above all else, that is their vision. Maybe if enough of us complain it could change lol :)