Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game constantly crashes

dardo93

So it could be the latest nVidia drivers, or it could be this, but I wanted to share something that seems to have fixed a bunch of stability issues, so perhaps people can give it a try.

It turns out Windows 10 has a 'Gaming Mode' that I wasn't aware of until yesterday.  I wasn't just experiencing issues with Warframe, but also with Final Fantasy XIV as well, which would also sometimes fail to load or crash when logging in.  That's when I decided to look up lesser known reasons for games to crash, and found the Windows Gaming Mode.  

It can be found in your Settings menu (Windows Key + I), in the 'Gaming' options and appears to be turned on by default.  Select the 'Game Mode' option on the left side of the window, and if it is turned on, try turning it off.  

From reading about it, it appears this Windows Game Mode puts background programs in an idle or shutdown state so that your PC can focus all it's attention on whatever game you're playing, however, this will likely cause issues if you have any programs on your PC that already control your performance (MSI Afterburner, RAMCache 3 etc.).  Since turning it off, I haven't had any crashes so far, neither in this or Final Fantasy XIV, so it may be worth a shot for anyone still experiencing issues.

Hi, i'm currently experiencing a problem with frequent BSOD while playing warframe. While the game does not crash per se, the whole pc shuts down, with obvious problems.

Is anyone seeing the same on their end?? The TDR_FAILURE code seems related to faulty video drivers, but i tried 4 dirfferent versions and the problem still persist. This is the only game causing issues and short stress tests on my machine gave no errors, so i'm trying to understand if it's a problem related to this game or my hardware is going bad...

@involution101 My hardware is pretty capable of running this game with max settings at 1080p, so i never had to reduce the video quality. I just set the graphic preset to medium, hope this solves the problem. Thanks :)

EDIT: Less than 30 min after the graphic settings change and i had another BSOD... I'm lost at this points, but thanks for trying to help

@Samohtimovic My hardware itself was capable, too, but my temp fix was to reduce the graphics engine to 'classic' (and the freezes stopped). After a while either DE changed something, or the new drivers, or whatever else, I tried going up in graphics again and it worked -- I haven't had freezes in a long while now. You can also try the fixes others mentioned above (one by one!), and hopefully one of them will help.

On 2022-09-01 at 9:47 AM, Samohtimovic said:

@involution101 My hardware is pretty capable of running this game with max settings at 1080p, so i never had to reduce the video quality. I just set the graphic preset to medium, hope this solves the problem. Thanks :)

EDIT: Less than 30 min after the graphic settings change and i had another BSOD... I'm lost at this points, but thanks for trying to help

A BSOD usually tells of a greater problem that could be caused by either hardware or software.  What are your PC specs?  How old is the build?  Have you replaced the thermal paste lately?  How old is the PSU for your PC?

Try unplugging everything from the back of your PC except what is required to launch Warframe (e.g/ mouse, keyboard and internet cable) and see if it BSODs.  Make sure to turn off as many of your background programs as you can before running it. Use a program such as Hardware Monitor to see what temperatures and voltages your PC is running at while Warframe is running.  Also, try opening your PC case and check all of the cables, make sure they're all fully pushed in to their slots, and make sure your RAM is fully inserted in to their slots.

A random BSOD while playing could be caused by a multitude of things, such as overheating, a faulty GPU, a dieing PSU, broken or damaged cables, loose RAM, driver crashes, and the list goes on.

Adding my salt to the pile. No BSOD, but constant stuttering and micro lag. It's like the game is rendering everything for the first time, every time I launch it.
Every mission I load into. My Orbiter. Railjack. Everything lags while my hardware is barely being used.

Tried: Cache delete, driver reinstall (currently on 516.94), clean reinstall of both Nvidia drivers and the game. Lowering settings. Disabling high quality shaders ingame. 
Checking OC settings for CPU+GPU. Allocating less (1/2/4) cores to Warframe as a process, and all of them. Nvidia control panel 3D settings, changed most things there. (don't have a shader size option for Warframe.exe, but I do globally, which is at 10GB)
DX11, DX12, both are just janky.

"But my dear man you could just be running bad hardware" I played for 9 years without these performance problems. 

Current hardware:

Ryzen 5 2600X, water cooled (temps constantly below 65), at 20-30% capacity with WF running.
32GB DDR4 RAM at ~2,9GHz
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super, 8GB VRAM, tried on both normal and OC modes.
Gigabyte Aorus Elite x470 motherboard.

Game is running on an m.2 SSD well below its capacity, 2500 MB/s write and 3500MB/s read capacity.

This should not be happening. 

No other game has these issues.  

After the last updates, it's already 3 times today I had to kill the executable because it froze while doing nightmare exterminate at random ( less than 1% cpu allocated to warframe ), including having the music looping with a frozen video.

I'm not sure if it's related to me having equipped the new styanax warframe, but it's really, really annoying, Never had this kind of issue all this time until now.

And no, like the previous poster, is not like my hardware is bad... I'm running a 32 thread cpu setup.

I'll hop aboard an join the train. Finally got fed up, and also filled out a support ticket. Sadly nothing changed so far, despite trying multiple solutions that are already mentioned by others here. My hardware is also nearly on par with previous posters, and I have so far checked everything I could think of to ensure its not a hardware issue, even running memory test on my ram for whole days. Everything's sunny there.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 

32 GB Ram 3000Mhz

MSI MEG X570 Unify

Nvidia GTX 3090 (MSI Suprim X)

nothing overclocked 

Played this game for ages now, never had any problems until i upgraded my pc, so i thought maybe there might be a hardware proiblem at first, but now I'm more inclined to believe the fault lies either with Nvidia, Warframe/DE or both.

Update for anyone stumbling upon this. Might not work for you but so far i worked for me.

I simply updated my chipset drivers for my motherboard/CPU. At least for my setup (check my post above) I simply downloaded them from the manufacturer site manually and installed them and since then (2 days ago, so far around 6h playtime) I've been crash free. Will update if anything changes and also answer the nice people from support so they maybe can add it to their knowledge and it might help someone else.

For me it seems that Nvidia and my CPU didnt want to play nice with each other, which i found out, according to the nvidia website and many many google searches, is not exactly a "new" problem, at least for AMD. 

So much for my original "all my drivers are up to date" thoughts

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-08-12 at 4:47 PM, [DE]Linkski said:

In addition to the steps Glen previously posted, we recommend Nvidia users update their GPU driver to the recently released 516.94 WHQL. It appears that this driver could also help alleviate the issues mentioned in this thread. You can find the 516.94 driver here. Thanks!

I confirm it is a driver issue for me I tried clearing Nvidia cache, verifying, optimizing the game nothing works I also had this freeze crash problem in different game I realized then it is a driver issue and updated the driver from 516.54 to 516.94 this fixed it for me.

Archived