Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Critique] Valkyr: How to redesign her as a proper Berserker, Hysteria on Death Discussion

FoxFX

The following critique on this Warframe is from the perspective of a PC-user.

https://assets.gamepur.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/20145008/Valkyr-Prime-Warframe.jpg

WHAT IS DONE RIGHT WITH VALKYR

• Passive: Offers utility for knockdown recovery and from falling from high places. This gives Valkyr a slight edge when it comes to Parkour
  • Stats: Still is recorded as having the highest base armor almost doubling the majority of Warframes we have (600 base, 700 Prime)
  • Warcry:
    • Offers great offensive & defensive buff in the form of Attack Speed/Armor
    • Has an additional perk of slowing down enemies nearby upon activation
    • [Augment] Allows Valkyr to maintain this buff personally
  • Hysteria:
    • Sports impressive pure damage potential whether it be from Slide Attacks, Ground Finishers, and at times Heavy Attack
    • Offers invulnerability to Damage and Status effects
    • Also contains lifesteal

WHAT IS CONCERNING AND/OR DONE WRONG WITH VALKYR

• Casting Speed: Speed is important for Warframes in general especially for those designed for close-combat melee tactics. Several of Valkyr's abilities feel sluggish in terms of casting speed.
  • Ripline:
    • The mobility this ability offers feels like it pales to the mobility options we currently have today (Parkour 2.0 - Wall Running/Bullet Jumping, Operator Void Dash, Archwing in Open World Content). Not to mention, the mobility it offers also does not seem to stack well against other mobility abilities that have similar Energy costs.
    • As it is, Ripline pulls any entity it targets toward Valkyr where for a Warframe designed for melee should have means to APPROACH their targets.
    • The ragdoll on pulling enemies is a bit uncontrollable
  • Warcry:
    • A high Energy cost for a 2nd ability (75 Energy)
    • While the ability buffs Armor, it only affects the base Armor. The base modifier of the Armor buff is relatively low compared to other Warframe abilities that offer double or more base armor buffs (Chroma's Cold Ward/Vex Armor, Inaros' Scarab Swarm, Rhino's Ironclad Charge Augment)
    • The slow-down effects seems like a WASTE since Warcry is a non-recast Ability
  • Paralysis:
    • Damage for Paralysis is barely unnoticeable and Valkyr doesn't have any means to generate her own Shields to capitalize on this ability with the exception from outside sources
    • Usage of this ability requires removal of 1/3 her total Shields. This could leave Valkyr open to attacks
    • Base version contains a knockback which is counterintuitive for a frame meant for melee
    • There are already Warframe abilities that sacrifice their Shields/Health that yield for greater effects
      • Harrow for attack speed & lifesteal
      • Hildryn
      • Garuda's 3rd for massive Energy
      • Nekros's 3rd Augment for corpse spawning Resources
  • Hysteria:
    • The Energy management for this ability holds it back. While it is for a good reason: You are completely invulnerable to damage, as long as you don't get an enemy that pops near you at the end of the ability's duration [possible self-harm at the end of the ability].
    • IPS evenly distributed and low Status Chance for a CLAW weapon
    • Despite the pure damage it offers, it is not relatively far-reaching as other Warframe Exalted-type Abilities (which is understandable since it is a claw-type weapon). It also is not that impressive in handling multiple enemies

OVERALL CRITIQUE AND THE COMMENTARY ON BERSERKER-THEME

Valkyr is a strong example of Warframe designs that is starting to show their age.

She is indeed a Warframe meant to be melee-focused, but is her style in melee combat comparable to other Warframes? In terms of single-target with thanks to her Heavy Attacks and Paralysis opening enemies to finisher it can deal with enemies in those situations well. However, finishers are still relatively slow unless you can have the ability to do multiple finishers on enemies at multiple times (Ash).  When dealing with groups, you have Exalted-Abilities whose ranges can deal with a multitude of enemies in a quicker fashion without having to spam Spin Attacks.

When it comes to Berserker-trope: They are touted to fight with reckless abandon to the point of not knowing who it is they are attacking at times. They are rendered heavily resistant or immune to damage and attacking them will just TICK them off even more. They never retreat.

When it comes to Valkyr, that Berserker feel is not quite there. Are there instances where going through such a berserk state causes some recoil?...sure there are several examples out there. Should it be given to a Warframe in this game?...I feel we are past having that.

How do we redesign her ability to approach enemies easier so she can strike them? How we we mechanically support her melee tactics? How do we make Paralysis a better stun ability where sacrificing something not only debilitates her enemies further but can also be something beneficial for Valkyr? How do we reinforce that Berserker feel where her attacks are reckless, unstoppable, fierce, where attacking her in that state will only piss her off more?

SUGGESTED CHANGES FOR VALKYR

[EXPERIMENTAL] A "RAGE" METER

Memories of her imprisonment gradually enrages Valkyr as she heads for combat

• A "RAGE" meter that is used solely for casting Hysteria
    • Is gradually increasing overtime
    • Can increase further upon hitting enemies with melee attacks
    • Increases further through being damaged
    • Paralysis will also increase the "RAGE" METER further
  • At higher rage levels, Valkyr gains increasing lifesteal on melee attacks

RIPLINE

Changing the ability to improve the speed of the ability and making it possible for Valkyr to approach targets instead of pulling them to herself. Most might consider keeping the whole swinging mechanic of Ripline, but making it something that can also be used offensively can help her out immensely:

• Adjusting the Ripline animation to be faster
  • Ripline hitting a target will instantly pull Valkyr toward the target.
    • In the case of an enemy, Valkyr swipes at the target which emits a low-radius forced Impact blast.
  • {Holding DOWN Rilpine} can cause Valkyr to instead pull the enemy right in front of Valkyr in a Lifted state
  • EXPERIMENTAL Augment: Bloodline - After X kills, Ripline becomes free of cost for XX seconds

WARCRY

Warcry is already a decent melee-style buff. Letting it have a slow-down effect feels unnecessary, so we can trade it off for another additional buff to it.

• Remove the slow-down debuff from the ability
  • Reducing the casting animation
  • NEW Warcry will also add a new buff:
    • Each melee hit to allies affected by Warcry adds +X additional counts to Melee Combo Counter
  • Augment remains as is

PARALYSIS

Paralysis is meant to be Valkyr's sacrificial crowd-control ability, however the payoff is extremely low for what it does. Valkyr will always be attacked with Shields being the frontline for "almost" every Warframe's defenses. We can change the cost required for this ability and amp up the payoff of Paralysis by making it a better crowd control and a debuff

• Remove knockdown effect
  • Remove the opening to finisher effect
  • NEW
    • Paralysis sacrifices XX% of Valkyr's Health alone to activate
      • Health cost will greatly increase Rage Meter
    • Valkyr emits a paralyzing blast impairing enemy senses and heavily lowers their defenses
      • Stuns enemies it hits and inflicts them with a Slow Effect
      • Each enemy hit have their Armor/Shield 100% removed
  • Augment remains as is

HYSTERIA

While some improvements of Valkyr's Exalted weapon and the stances are welcome for debate, I am going to isolate my thoughts on the subject for this until later. This will focus more on the ability and what it can provide IF it uses the Rage meter as its main resource to cast. This will host more of the Berserker gimmick and further improve the speed of Valkyr's approach to enemies. If we can't make  Hysteria's attacks emit energy slashes, we can instead make it easier for enemies to come closer to Valkyr by rendering them unable to use their ranged weapons.

• Remove self-damage mechanic and lifesteal (lifesteal since he Rage meter already contains the lifesteal)
  • Hysteria will instead drain from the Rage meter
  • When hit while under Hysteria:
    • XX% chance to emit a blast of energy which disarms enemies
    • Each hit stacks an "Agitation" buff:
      • Gain Melee Weapon Damage stacks
      • Gain Critical Chance stacks
      • Stacks dissipates when not being hit
  • EXPERIMENTAL Augment Change: Hysteric Assault - While under Hysteria, Paralysis no longer requires Health cost and teleports Valkyr to the reticle up to XX m
  • EXPERIMENTAL Augment Change: Enrage - Converts Critical Chance gained from Agitation to Status Chance. Receiving hits while in Hysteria will increase Rage Meter by XX%

VALKYR'S TALONS

I will need to sort my thoughts more on the stance. While I can understand that a lot of people desire increase in the Weapon's range, it is of the category of Claw-weapon, and all Claws come with that same melee-range. The low Status Chance is unfortunate, but the pure damage Hysteria has makes it viable for content where it is more ideal to have that pure raw damage.

I can't make a concluding on the stance as a whole, but having either the base combo allow more 360 attacks could greatly benefit Valkyr on the long run.

IPS distribution for Valkyr's Talons should have more Slash to them I feel due to the nature of her attacks. Right now, it feels more like a Sparring stance similar to Baruuks. Valkyr's theme is a reckless berserk creature and having that IPS feels a bit off at times.

TRIGGERING HYSTERIA UPON DEATH THOUGHTS

I honestly start to feel this particular thought to be something that I can see Valkyr having, with of course some drawbacks.

Warframes like Wukong, Sevagoth, and Inaros have their own death-trigger effects to them that help them stay on the fight, and for a berserker-themed Warframe to have such a mechanic is something I feel is something that can be explored.

The major question is what limit should be imposed to an on-death Hysteria mode. Warframes with on-death effects either have a limited time to auto-revive in this mode or can revive a set amount of time. Valkyr's Hysteria sports some strong striking power and invulnerability to all attacks, so for the sake of balance I am more leaning on giving Valkyr a charge or few to auto-trigger Hysteria on death.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS ON VALKYR

Valkyr has the striking power to deal with tough enemies albeit a bit conditional. She needs some means to easily deal with multiple enemies better. Of course, most builds tend to rely most on Eternal War, but this critique is meant to focus on the entirety of Valkyr's kit as a whole and how it could be improved to better simulate the Berserker theme.

Speed is important when it comes to melee-based Warframes, and I personally get the feeling Valkyr needs a jump in that department. Damage is fine, but the whole experimental gimmick of the Rage meter and the new Hysteria is simply to reinforce the theme.

Overall, Valkyr's kit is showing some of its age for me, and I feel some further look into her can be warranted in the future.

FOR THOSE THAT CURRENTLY OR HAVE PLAYED VALKYR IN THE PAST, PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE WARFRAME AND ANYTHING I PARTICULARLY MENTIONED.

What are your current thoughts on Ripline? Do you lean in pulling enemies or pulling Valkyr towards the target? Would you welcome both?

What are your honest thoughts on Warcry having a slowdown effect despite being a non-recast ability?

Would you welcome improving the crowd control of Paralysis?

Would you like Paralysis to further debilitate enemies?

If you prefer to have the sacrifice Shield gimmick for Paralysis, in what way would you design Valkyr to have the capability of generating Shields?

What are your thoughts on a Rage meter for Valkyr?

A lot of criticism I have heard desires Hysteria to have an Augment similar to Chromatic Blade and Reactive Storm which both greatly increase Status Chance. Would you welcome this?

Do you feel Valkyr's Hysteria Attacks should have short-ranged energy slashes to compensate the low range?

One comment I have received was to have Paralysis have Prolonged Paralysis be part of the base effect of the ability, and to have the ability teleport to a target if the reticle points to an enemy.

If such a thing were to be done, the cost to activate such an effect should match the effectiveness of it. It is something I have been reluctant now, but still feel it to be a solid thought to add.

Though that leaves the question as to what the Paralysis Augment would be if the pull could be part of the base.

If we were to take away the suggested defense removal and make it as a new Paralysis Augment, then it might balance things out.

I'm going to have an added thought on Valkyr's Ripline a bit more.

For an ability that requires 25 Energy to be a single-target feels well off when we already have abilities of similar energy requirements handing multiple enemies in one cast and in faster times. Of course, we have Nekros that falls also into that category to with Soul Punch. Garuda's Dread Mirror is another, but the payoff for that single target is both a defensive barrier and preparations for a projectile which can turn into a nuke; THIS is the type of payoff many single target abilities should have in impact.

I can't see that type of impact for Ripline despite the possible potential it has to create it. I had one person thinking about making the ability auto-trigger a finisher for this version of Ripline much like Ash's Fatal Teleport Augment, but I want to short my thoughts more on that idea.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

Her talons need a new stance. It’s so clunky now.

I can understand a bit where you are coming from.

The animations for Hysteria always felt like that especially since the very first time Valkyr was released (a lot of floating from the floor striking animations).

I'll make a section later on the stance in a future post here.

FIRST THOUGHTS ON VALKYR'S STANCE

Warframe Exalted forms were considered one of the most impactful most from the power they wield and also for how well they can reach enemies from afar. From the slashes of Exalted Blade, the blasts from Baruuk, the length of Wukong's Primal Fury staff, even Titania's Diwata has the Archwing's Melee Attack approach gimmick to them.

I look at Valkyr's Exalted stance and I see something that feels a bit too compact but does have some techs sporting some high damage. But reach is important for melee when we are faced with situations where we have to take out multiple opponents at a time.

The question is how we can execute the feral feeling of Valkyr's theme into her Exalted?

The Parazon having an unimplemented feature in gameplay except in that one cutscene grappling hook feature makes Ripline redundant. Ripline needs to be removed from Valkyr and refactored and improved into the Parazon grappling hook feature.

Currently Valkyr effectively has 2 or 3 abilities. I can't see why not to use a subsumed ability in the 3rd slot.

I think the problem with Ripline is that it's meant to be a movement and grabbing tool, but it's so clunky that I rarely use it, and I think others don't even use it as often as I do.
Sometimes I used it before to drag corpus drones off the air, though Paralysis can do that too, and honestly I didn't see myself using that ability for any other reason lol. Well, and you know, you can just shoot them. To be honest I didn't try it with the augment yet so I can't speak on that.

A possibly good rework for Ripline would be giving it weight and velocity. If it worked like Pathfinder's grapple from Apex, it could be more fun to use on tilesets with more open spaces and in open world areas. Though sadly that would be rather difficult to script to work smoothly like that I suppose, and DE didn't look at older frames which could use rework for a long time now.
As for grappling enemies, it could be cool if targeting enemies Ripline cast a net instead just one string, which could pull a multiple mobs into Valkyr's range, effectively fixing some of her range problems.
Or alternatively make it a tap/hold ability (maybe tap on net, hold on grapple) could possibly make it more user friendly.

My only complaint about Warcry, is that with the augment I feel like that using melee is not a option but a must because the duration is only prolonged by melee kills, especially considering the high energy cost and no way to recast it for teammates if they weren't in range for the cast. (If the buff functioned like Everlasting Ward on Chroma, it could fix that if DE really doesn't want to make it possible to recast.)
I know it's a melee frame, but Eternal War would feel a lot better if ranged kills increased the duration too, even if for just half as much as melee kills would.
You especially feel the effect of this if you run the Enraged augment, which many people forget it exists.
Just because you play a specific frame you shouldn't be lowkey locked out from using pretty much half of your arsenal. I'd go as far and say it could affect ranged weapons too, but of course to a strongly less extent to not be broken, especially since it's a helminth ability too.

Hysteria legit has too short range, I actually slapped Primed Reach on it before because of it. Hysterical Assault partly solves the problem, but it feels a bit clunky and it requires a mod slot.

Most of the complaints Valkyr gets from players is that she can't nuke rooms due to lack of range, and that's what a part of the community wants for every frame to be for some reason, but that's a kinda different topic.

Just a reminder that like most channeled abilities, they can still get energy from orbs which means benefitting from Arcane Energize. 

And eximus now drop a guaranteed energy orb....

I stay in Hysteria for a long time and have been able to even before the eximus energy orb change.

I just did a sortie while in Hysteria the entire time with Dethcube as well.

7 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Just a reminder that like most channeled abilities, they can still get energy from orbs which means benefitting from Arcane Energize. 

And eximus now drop a guaranteed energy orb....

I stay in Hysteria for a long time and have been able to even before the eximus energy orb change.

I just did a sortie while in Hysteria the entire time with Dethcube as well.

What are your thoughts on how Hysteria does against larger crowds of enemies compared to other Exalted?

1 hour ago, FoxFX said:

What are your thoughts on how Hysteria does against larger crowds of enemies compared to other Exalted?

I'm an outlier because I actually forma my frames more than once to get the best out of them. 

Some people expect things to be OP with minimal effort. 

The claws are great for most of the game's content.

Yea, I'd love them to have a base range increase but who knows if that'll happen. 

12 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Yea, I'd love them to have a base range increase but who knows if that'll happen. 

The stance could also use some love.  It doesn't allow for much forward movement.  It could be that the stance is deliberately stilted and low on mobility because DE wants to incentivize using the Hysterical Assault augment, which is honestly a lot of fun, but I still think the base stance could be better.

4 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

The stance could also use some love.  It doesn't allow for much forward movement.  It could be that the stance is deliberately stilted and low on mobility because DE wants to incentivize using the Hysterical Assault augment, which is honestly a lot of fun, but I still think the base stance could be better.

I can't really consider incentivizing the use of an Augment for a Warframe ability as a good design choice.

I do feel that giving the stance some forward impulses each strike could help. I also wanted to consider the whole "Disarm Aura" for Valkyr as something that Valkyr's enraged state causes nearby enemies to intimidate their enemies in fear dropping their guns to use their melee.

Leave her 4 available at all times. If it was dictated by a rage meter, we'll have the reason why Sevagoth isn't so popular. Just make it so she's more "mortal" with her claws out.

Holding 2 or 4 should enter Rage mode, which then procs her invincibility(whilst in her 4) and what have you (More crits, damage, life steal.)

Rage mode should also not be limited to her 4, maybe damage negation and status resistance.

Instead of dying, she should instantly go into Rage mode. Cooldown timer like Nidus.

I personally don't mind her ability set, I just don't feel the "berserker" theme she's suppose to be... Just angy girl who screams a lot.

3 hours ago, DaMasque said:

Leave her 4 available at all times. If it was dictated by a rage meter, we'll have the reason why Sevagoth isn't so popular. Just make it so she's more "mortal" with her claws out.

It's more appropriate to compare this Rage meter  to Baruuk's meter.

Baruuk's meter represents defensiveness, calm, restrain, and order.

The Rage meter for this proposed Valkyr represents aggressiveness, anger, and chaos.

Instead of dying, she should instantly go into Rage mode. Cooldown timer like Nidus.

I am going to post my thoughts on this (which I do agree on).

I personally don't mind her ability set, I just don't feel the "berserker" theme she's suppose to be... Just angy girl who screams a lot.

The question if Valkyr feels like the "berseker" is what I want to ask most out of the players here.

TRIGGERING HYSTERIA UPON DEATH THOUGHTS

I honestly start to feel this particular thought to be something that I can see Valkyr having, with of course some drawbacks.

Warframes like Wukong, Sevagoth, and Inaros have their own death-trigger effects to them that help them stay on the fight, and for a berserker-themed Warframe to have such a mechanic is something I feel is something that can be explored.

The major question is what limit should be imposed to an on-death Hysteria mode. Warframes with on-death effects either have a limited time to auto-revive in this mode or can revive a set amount of time. Valkyr's Hysteria sports some strong striking power and invulnerability to all attacks, so for the sake of balance I am more leaning on giving Valkyr a charge or few to auto-trigger Hysteria on death.

On 2022-07-19 at 7:12 AM, Harutomata said:

My only complaint about Warcry, is that with the augment I feel like that using melee is not a option but a must because the duration is only prolonged by melee kills, especially considering the high energy cost and no way to recast it for teammates if they weren't in range for the cast. (If the buff functioned like Everlasting Ward on Chroma, it could fix that if DE really doesn't want to make it possible to recast.)
I know it's a melee frame, but Eternal War would feel a lot better if ranged kills increased the duration too, even if for just half as much as melee kills would.
You especially feel the effect of this if you run the Enraged augment, which many people forget it exists.
Just because you play a specific frame you shouldn't be lowkey locked out from using pretty much half of your arsenal. I'd go as far and say it could affect ranged weapons too, but of course to a strongly less extent to not be broken, especially since it's a helminth ability too.

Would you feel comfortable if Valkyr support gunplay with a reworked Ripline or Paralysis?

• 2 months later...
On 2022-07-17 at 5:20 PM, FoxFX said:

I can understand a bit where you are coming from.

The animations for Hysteria always felt like that especially since the very first time Valkyr was released (a lot of floating from the floor striking animations).

I'll make a section later on the stance in a future post here.

Her stance needs forced (slash) procs like other basic melee stances I mean that would be the quickest fix to all exalteds to bring them up to basic melee in terms of DPS. Preferably on her neutral and forward combos to reduce the need for Spin to Win for max dps. She feels like she is stuck in an era that has passed.  

On 2022-07-15 at 1:10 PM, FoxFX said:

Ripline:

• The mobility this ability offers feels like it pales to the mobility options we currently have today (Parkour 2.0 - Wall Running/Bullet Jumping, Operator Void Dash, Archwing in Open World Content). Not to mention, the mobility it offers also does not seem to stack well against other mobility abilities that have similar Energy costs.
  • As it is, Ripline pulls any entity it targets toward Valkyr where for a Warframe designed for melee should have means to APPROACH their targets.
  • The ragdoll on pulling enemies is a bit uncontrollable

IMO it should work like Scorpions get over here where it pulls the enemy and then stuns them infront of you (kinda like ensnare with a pull). Ideally would have an armor strip but that may be asking too much.  

11 hours ago, Kaiune said:

She feels like she is stuck in an era that has passed.  

As are most of the Warframes no one bothers to critique on. Thus why I am going for Rhino for a particular reason next.

11 hours ago, Kaiune said:

IMO it should work like Scorpions get over here where it pulls the enemy and then stuns them infront of you (kinda like ensnare with a pull). Ideally would have an armor strip but that may be asking too much.  

I'd leave the Armor strip gimmick for Paralysis. Right now, it needs to be more than what ti is currently. If such an ability was given to a Warframe like Hildryn who greatly benefits from Shields and Overshields, then the purpose for it is well warranted. But not for Valkyr.

Overall, my angle is that Valkyr is just not treated like the "Berserker" she is meant to be design-wise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-07-21 at 4:31 AM, DaMasque said:

Holding 2 or 4 should enter Rage mode, which then procs her invincibility(whilst in her 4) and what have you (More crits, damage, life steal.)

Rage mode should also not be limited to her 4, maybe damage negation and status resistance.

People enjoy baruuk fine enough. A rage meter is fine.

I feel kinda bad for missing this thread the few times it has been revived. Its good stuff, well thought out thread, unfortunately the higher the word count the less likely something will catch on... sigh. 

I don't have any major complaints with the concept. Valkyr is a tough nut to crack because a lot of frames have been eating her lunch, on top of that her archetype is underpowered for the current AoE state of the game. This rework won't suddenly make Valkyr meta but I don't think any rework that keeps true to the berserker theme will be able to do that. 

That said, this all seems to work where it counts. General buffs to the playstyle Valkyr theoretically has and further refinement on that playstyle. 

First some quick nitpicks...

On 2022-07-15 at 2:10 PM, FoxFX said:

{Holding DOWN Rilpine} can cause Valkyr to instead pull the enemy right in front of Valkyr in a Lifted state

This function should probably be a multi-target attack. Pulling one target in is... well... not that useful, and Sevagoth just so happens to have the better version of this where it pulls in a group of enemies into a neat little ball. It may not be the most unique thing, but the hold function should probably be functionally a copy-paste of Sevagoth's Shadow's 1. 

On 2022-07-15 at 2:10 PM, FoxFX said:

Each enemy hit have their Armor/Shield 100% removed

This is an extremely minor nitpick, but it should probably be 75% scaling with strength to be consistent with other stripping capabilities.

Other notes of the top of my head...

Ripline

The mobility of Ripline is almost there as it is, a faster animation speed wouldn't hurt but it can currently be used as a bullet-jump+. The problem Ripline runs into is that all momentum is lost the moment you touch the ground. In large open tiles this doesn't matter much but in hallways it feels incredibly clunky. 

A quick fix would be adding a -friction buff for a few seconds after casting Ripline. Maybe have the buff only persist if you hold forward as -friction can be very unwanted sometimes.

Adding some sort of offensive aspect to zipping around would make it feel more important to Valkyr's kit. As it stands it is just an extra thing you can do rather than something that you would want to do. Maybe have some sort of buff to ground slams after a ripline. Maybe just some extra damage, or maybe a stun, possibly a suction effect. I dunno, Ripline is a mobility tool I've personally fallen in love with but most people will need a push to really try it out. 

Warcry

Removing the on-cast effect (and moving it to Paralysis) makes a ton of sense. I am a bit confused by the combo effect. Is it just allowing you to slap your allies to gain combo? I feel like I'm misunderstanding this one a bit. Some sort of buff for combo is a great idea though. 

Paralysis

This is all great.

Hysteria

The on-hit effects seem a little counter-intuitive. Relying on enemies to hit you has already been seen to be inconsistent (Chroma) and disarming enemies that do hit you makes it harder to take advantage of these buffs. 

Hysteria needs to be doing something more than being just a very good melee weapon (and being invincible). Even if it is the highest DPS thing in the game it will often just be easier to keep swinging your high-enough damage melee weapon that also has more range. 

I'm going to spitball some things, most (or all) probably suck.

• Free Paralysis casts while in Hysteria. Maybe even enhance Paralysis's effects on top of that. 
  • Have Valkyr 'explode' after Hysteria is toggled off. More damage you do with your talons the bigger the damage/range. 
  • Add some utility effects to the stance's combos like how Wukong just got a suction on one of his Iron Staff combos.
  • Have Talon range scale with Rage meter. While at max Rage Talons range is stupidly large, then have it rapidly diminish as Rage goes down.
  • Enemies explode when they die.
  • Increased movement speed.

I think the hysteria on death doesn't need any asterisks. Kill a couple enemies to come back to life, that's all it needs to be, Maybe have killing the enemy who killed you instantly bring you back. Valkyr (with this rework) isn't a very powerful frame in the grand scheme of the game. She would be well designed and capable of doing all the content but she won't be breaking any metas. Sevagoth's on-death state one-shots enemies without question and he also has quite a lot of utility and damage in his kit. Nidus has some decent AoE potential with Larva that will likely dwarf what Valkyr is able to murder. Valkyr being a "you won't die" frame would be perfectly justified with the state of the game. 

On 2022-09-28 at 9:14 PM, FoxFX said:

Future update on this Valkyr critique might be postponed a bit after testing a few things with Archons. The Rhino Critique is going to be next to work on.

On the note of Rhino, hear me out, make his 1 augment a general passive for everything Rhino does. Other tweaks of course but as a starting point I think it would be a relatively simple change that would open up his builds and make for some more interesting gameplay (with tweaks to his other abilities). 

Archived