Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who is the programmer that can't get the colours correct?

If you don't custom-color the corresponding color channels (lining, primary, secondary, tertiary), you can get the default colorations for each of the outfit pieces you have equipped. This is interesting and *occasionally* useful, as you can conceivably find a channel whose default colors on different outfit pieces can look nice (such as having a bright hood or other helmet on a darker outfit, or a splash of color on something neutral, or vice versa).

The other problem I have with a ton of operator outfits and cosmetics is when they put the Metallics and shinies on completely inconsistent and mis-matching channels, and when they make it so that some colors get filtered so dang heavily by material/texture/color filters on the outfit that a middle-of-the-road grey on one piece causes another piece you wear to be incandescently bright, or a dull salmon  color becomes a blinding magenta, dark forest green becoming lime green, etc.

Solutions:
1) It'd also be really lovely if DE could then double-check that for a given color manually selected and chosen, that the color ends up far more similar than it does currently. Ideally anything that looks like the same sort of material or similar enough equivalent (like leathery or cloth-likes or organics, or dull metallics and polished metallic, ceramics and plastics, etc) should end up looking similarly bright, dark, desaturated, or as highly saturated, as its close material neighbors. I'm okay with there being a difference between metallic silver and grey cloth, as polished metal should have a greater luster and shine than a non-reflective cloth should have, but hopefully by addressing concern 2 in the paragraph below, even that discrepancy would occur and appear less often in fashion combinations.

2) A) It'd be really lovely if DE made it so that every operator outfit that has only 1 metallic channel, had it on Lining, and if it has a second metallic channel, make it Tertiary. WAY more outfits (Harrier, Bishamo, half of the Vallis/Vent-kid themed outfits) would be able to be used alongside other fun outfits (like the original Operator Outfit Bundles, the Prime outfits, etc). You could go a step further and try and consistently identify/classify specific channels as the default channel for under-layers to go on, vs outer layers / armors. Having a loose guideline that everything tries to follow by default, should make more things mix and match nicely together, even if you have to make judgement calls or exceptions for ones that break the mold.
2) B) OR potentially far more simply, just give us an "advanced color assignments" toggleable menu where we can change what color channels each of our selected colors map to (I think it'd just be making and hooking up the UI to existing potential customizations, vs having to catalogue and shuffle and deliberate on every outfit individually).
For example, the "armor" or outer-wear bits of the Saita Prime suit are inversely colored compared to the Commodore Prime suit or the Manduka suit, in the image below. Allowing me to swap the color assignments/channels from the white to the black, and from the black to the blue, and from the blue to the white, for specifically the Saita Prime Leggings, would allow me to have matching black shoulder pads, chest armor, and combat boots. I chose the example that would give me blue pants, but maybe someone else wants the onesie look and could just swap the black and white directly.

Spoiler

k6W8i5o.png

See this post and following thread comments for more examples of color channel mismatching.

3) Please let us drag-and-drop the ABC appearance config slots, and please allow us to purchase 3 more config slots, just like we already can with Warframes.

Edited by Grav_Starstrider
added link to old post
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grimm said:

brother is that you

Hide contents

55N1Zmo.png

Brother!

Spoiler

xsfWDTm.jpg
I was even black and red!

This is my current look though, except with the Mephisto facial accessories and Zato chin piece.
unknown.png?width=720&height=405

Finding that first screenshot though, reminds me a bit of what we lost with the great modularization of Operator outfits 😅 I wanna make a cosplay of my Operator, almost *because* of how not-compatible so many things are in-game, unfortunately. And how they butchered the old Manduka thigh high boots in favor of making it look like a uni-colored onesie :/

• Like 1

On 2022-07-19 at 5:12 AM, Grav_Starstrider said:

Finding that first screenshot though, reminds me a bit of what we lost with the great modularization of Operator outfits 😅 I wanna make a cosplay of my Operator, almost *because* of how not-compatible so many things are in-game, unfortunately. And how they butchered the old Manduka thigh high boots in favor of making it look like a uni-colored onesie :/

yea i miss being able to have shorts and jandals. and how old commadore plus saita hood gave you a really nice overlap of the two models. the big circle that is not attached to the back on saita body that used to be attached to the hood meaning it would be overtop the commadore body

On 2022-07-18 at 4:50 AM, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

It most definitely does not have the wrong colors, since that hood does not go with that outfit.

It sure has. I don't care which outfit it goes with. If I put the same colour on an object they should match not be white when it's a dark brown! The colour on the object should match the colour on the colour palette. Or just because it's "another" "fabric" it should be blue when the palette colour is red?

On 2022-07-18 at 3:50 AM, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

It most definitely does not have the wrong colors, since that hood does not go with that outfit.

I'd be more willing to give this argument a pass if there weren't also cases of colour mismatch within outfit sets. The Koppra Hood's primary channel is noticeably darker than the rest of the suit, for example.

Either way, I fail to see why it's unreasonable to request that items at least be somewhat consistent with each other, even if they are from different outfits. And I definitely fail to see how anyone benefits from an item that doesn't match any of their other customisation options. After all, mixing and matching is quite literally the entire point of making said outfits modular in the first place.

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 1

On 2022-07-20 at 4:28 PM, Varangian_af_Scaniae said:

It sure has. I don't care which outfit it goes with. If I put the same colour on an object they should match not be white when it's a dark brown! The colour on the object should match the colour on the colour palette. Or just because it's "another" "fabric" it should be blue when the palette colour is red?

I think you're possibly failing to clarify something here. Are these *not* the default colors for an outfit that you're referring to? Where a manually selected brown color is ending up looking blazing white on this hood? Then yeah, I'm're in agreement that the outcome isn't right. Approximately similar material types should "take" a color extremely similarly, not ending up twice as dark or bright or saturated or desaturated as the other one turns out.

If you're using the default colors then that's on you for not modifying them to a specific color though. Default colors per outfit pieces are default colors per outfit piece.

On 2022-07-21 at 3:29 PM, Corvid said:

I'd be more willing to give this argument a pass if there weren't also cases of colour mismatch within outfit sets. The Koppra Hood's primary channel is noticeably darker than the rest of the suit, for example.

Either way, I fail to see why it's unreasonable to request that items at least be somewhat consistent with each other, even if they are from different outfits. And I definitely fail to see how anyone benefits from an item that doesn't match any of their other customisation options. After all, mixing and matching is quite literally the entire point of making said outfits modular in the first place.

100000% agree. It's bogus enough that some specific pieces of some specific outfits take a color differently then the rest of that same outfits' pieces do. And it certainly defeats the purpose of making them modular so that they physically fit and match together, just to make them color mismatch and not play well together.

After all, mixing and matching is quite literally the entire point of making said outfits modular in the first place.

This kinda negates the entire argument. Different outfits are going to have different textures, so colors are going to look different for each. So how can colors be matched?

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

This kinda negates the entire argument. Different outfits are going to have different textures, so colors are going to look different for each. So how can colors be matched?

By making sure they are at least close in terms of hue. Texture means that things like reflectivity won't line up, sure, but there is literally nothing preventing stone, fabric, metal and flesh textures having the same colour value.

Also, I notice that you left out this part of my comment:

On 2022-07-21 at 8:29 PM, Corvid said:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2022-07-23 at 2:26 AM, Corvid said:

By making sure they are at least close in terms of hue. Texture means that things like reflectivity won't line up, sure, but there is literally nothing preventing stone, fabric, metal and flesh textures having the same colour value.

I can understand a chosen color looking different than expected when you run it through the "filter" of a material's glossiness, or darkening/lightening textures over top of the raw color (commodore prime's rough texture overlay that looks like a layer of black specks comes to mind), but yeah, nothing should be preventing them from manually tuning it so that the effective input color is brighter or darker, or more or less saturated, in order to come closer to matching the rest of the roster's observable effective color output. If a texture would make something look 20% darker and 10% less saturated, make it so that it adjusts the input color to be about 15% lighter and 8% more saturated or something, so that it at least comes far closer to matching the rest of the outfit.

And yeah, examples like this, or the Stranger's Hood glowing with the brilliance of a thousand suns (when it released), is just egregious oversight. If it's the same texture as any other existing textures in the outfit roster, it should express color the same way. If the textures are only slightly different, like the difference between a silky fabric and a satin/sateen, or between cotton and polyester and rayon-like fabrics, or between the "ceramic" and hard shiny "plastic" looking textures, then the actual colors should only be slightly different between them as well.

hO4eN3d.jpg
IrUTK5W.jpg

These issues would be even less of a problem if DE put in more work to assign the same materials to the same color channels more consistently. Harrier, Kubrodon, Loneryder, and Outrider all still have funky non-Lining-assigned metallic color channels. Look at how non-matchy some of these things are, where the would-be golds/electrums end up weird flat yellows on the Harrier outfit, and where the copper on the Harrier ends up this flat peach, and the flat black on the Harrier makes the non-harrier metallics barely look metallic any more.