Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Open Letter from [DE]Steve

[DE]Steve

Thanks for everything you've done for this game Steve, along with all the other devs that will be switching gears to SoulFrame. You have always been my favorite dev for the last 9 years i've played. I've watched a majority of all the dev streams since it started just to always hear your insight about the game, especially all the dangly bits and everything tech related to the game. With just over 3000 hours played, this game is easily the most time I've ever dedicated to any game and it's been an honor playing it with you at the lead. 

I'm truly excited to see what you and the team do with SoulFrame, there is no doubt i will be along for the ride for the next game however things go, i know it will be great.

Thank you Steve, this is one of the only games I've played since beta and one of my few great gaming regrets is I wasn't able to back as a founder at the time. I've had so much fun and wonderful experiences in Warframe.

I hope to continue to do so for a long time to come as well as in Soulframe, even from what little I've seen it looks like something I'd enjoy, and given the chance, I won't have a second regret.

Wishing you all the best.  

You (as well as the entire Digital Extremes Team on Warframe) have given much to a lot of people with the creation of Warframe. It did actually help me through some not so good times and kept me busy so i can be at least distracted if im not to happy, which sometimes cant hurt if you dont get lost to much in a game. Since the closure of Star Wars Galaxies in 2011 i never found a replacement that kept me as busy as that game back then. Until i finally found Warframe, which suprisingly turned out to be that replacement since end of 2017.

Since i started watching Devstreams i was used to seeing you among other faces over the years in it, we never met, we might never will in real life and never had a real chat, you might not even read this since im sure you are busy with more important things. Yet its still a feeling of getting used to see someone that will for very sure be missing now and in the future watching future Devstreams. Like missing a good working colleague or just someone you were used to be seeing at work in some way.

Even if i not all of the time agree with some choices about Warframe (specially in the recent years...) its still the game i like to play the most with my rank 1 hours played on Steam with something a little bit more like 5200 hours on record. Might even actually be the game i played the very most in life.

You leaving made me thinking. One day, everything good comes to an end, and even if i hope that the end of warframe is very far in the future and still looking forward to it, especially to what is to come in Winter (the only disappointing thing to what you revealed was that its coming in winter, all other was good) ... it made me think about the time, after Warframe. You certeinly have already done that long time ago i bet and are certein about the path you chosen for your future from now on. We all might need to do that in the future about what is to come after Warframe. Sure its just "a game" if you take it very accurately and we still got the "real life" (you know, the game with good gameplay but bad graphics, or the other way around? Doesnt matter!)

I wish you all the best for your future, may it be future projects or real life.

Never forget us Tennos and sometimes come back as a suprise guest will you? :D

• Like 2

It's kind of humbling for me to sit here and realize that this game has been part of my life for nearly a decade now. This is a bit sappy, but it's genuinely hard for me to even comprehend how much your work and your artistic vision have positively impacted my life over all these years. I'm glad to have played this game for as long as I have, and I'm glad you can move forward onto a fresh new passion project!

Thank you for everything, Steve, and thank you in advance for everything yet to come! Best wishes for the future, and I'm looking forward to what Soulframe will bring! 😁

• Like 1

I heard a lady once say "With the impossible behind you, all that remains is what is necessary"
Can't stop a singer from singing and you can't stop a game artist from game crafting.
Thank you for giving us Warframe. Thank you for leaving the game in such capable hands. Thank you for inviting us to a new song.

Thanks Steve, for all your hard work bringing us this product that we enjoy so much.  Really looking forward to Soulframe!  Just one humble request though: please do not pull a Warhammer Fantasy / Warhammer 40k and simply recycle core Warframe concepts into a Sword and Sorcery setting.  There are so many new directions you can take Soulframe, and we want to be surprised and enjoy something new and different!

Oh, and can you give us a pair of pants?  Or even pink boxers will do, I guess.  Not trying to be cheeky, but I just feel so exposed killing baddies in my birthday suit...  😆

10 hours ago, [DE]Steve said:

Tenno,

Digital Extremes has been my home for my entire game development career. 20+ years for those counting (I try not to). Over 10 of those years have been on Warframe as you know it today, but in truth the Warframe story started much earlier. Warframe once existed as Dark Sector in my mind in the early 2000’s. Turning that seed of ‘Dark Sector’ into ‘Warframe’ has been a life-defining accomplishment for me and the Digital Extremes team. I feel like I can say: We did it. And in some ways, I thought it’d be the last thing we’d do as a team. But we want to tell another story.

Soulframe development has officially just begun. We hope you follow along. It’s only possible because the community believed in Warframe to allow me 10 beautiful years in the Origin System. Further still, the Warframe team believed in me, but more importantly, I believe in them. I know they can do great things with the story of the Tenno. And now, a group of us have set our sights on the Fantasy genre to tell the story of Soulframe.

I want to have Fantasy & Science Fiction as a part of Digital Extreme’s legacy. I want to spend as much time with Soulframe as I have with Warframe. My beard only has so much black left in it.

Envoys, see you in the future.

We all lift together - and always will.

- [DE]Steve

Please also see [DE]Rebecca's Open Letter:

Thank you and all of the others who worked with you on Warframe. You introduced us an amazing universe like Warframe and I hope soulframe will be succesfull as well. 

congratulations and thankyou Steve, hope that Soulframe takes off just as well as Warframe did, I'll definitely be doing my part by giving it a try on release day. I hope that both games can prosper together, and thankyou for so many wonderful years of warframe: it's had ups and downs, but it has been my favourite gaming experience bar none, and for what it's worth I plan to stick around. good luck to you and your new team as you move forward with Soulframe!! :heart: