The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unleash The Fury! We Want To Give The "berzerker" Frame A Proper Name

Llyssa

So, it was noted, in the screen caps from the last livestream, the apparent name-to-be for the berserker frame will be "Valkyr".

I'd like to start an effort to get the name changed to something else.

While I appreciate Valkyr being a nod to the widely-known "warrior woman name", Valkyrie, it's not very appropriate for the frame.

Valkyries were the winged shield maidens of Odin that took the favored slain to Valhalla... to put it in lay terms, they're the angels that take good norse warriors to heaven.

While that's a generically cool "female warrior" name, the frame isn't particularly angelic, nor does it appear to have any more "shield" than other frames.

So, what I propose instead, is a name based on the Furies(also known as Erinyes or Dirae(the latter owning same root as "Dire").

The Furies are the justice of the greco-roman underworld--they're clawed demons that spend all eternity in the prisons of hell literally ripping apart the wicked to avenge those the wicked had wronged. They are the original vengeance incarnate.

Considering the new frame's form(a clawed prisoner with a demonic flayed-skin form), two known skills(ripping people apart(with style!)), and lore(visiting vengeance upon the wicked), it would seem that picking a namesake out of the greco-roman possibilities would be MUCH better than going with the norse "angelic heaven taxi" Valkyries.

There's MANY cool name variants to go with that, between the names of individual furies, the name "Fury" itself, "Dire" and all of it's possible permutations, and it's a MUCH more suitable base.

Also, as a bonus fun fact, the furies worked with Nemesis(another cool name option), whose roman name happens to be invidia(which is chuckleworthy considering a certain graphics card company...)

Valkyries ARE awesome, don't get me wrong. They're just not really suitable for a flesh-ripping prison fixture demon.

EDIT: Actual name suggestions will be tossed on here as we go. So far:

Suggested Fury-inspired names:

The group:

Erinys (greek name)

Fury (latin name)

Dirae(alternate latin name)

Chthonia (alternate greek name--implies merely "denizens of hell", part of a longer name, "Chthonia Thea", "hell goddesses")

Chthon (simplified form of the above, merely "of hell" or "hell". Awkward etymologically, but sounds cool)

The individuals:

Alecto (punisher of anger)

Tisiphone (punisher of murder)

Megaera (punisher of infidelity)

Related:

Nemesis (their buddy, and, interestingly, the name of the "original" warframe)

Adrasteia (alt. name for Nemesis)

Rhamnousia (another alt. name for Nemesis)

Oddly, I've noticed while double-checking these, the direct translations provided by most online sources are completely wrong.

For example, "Alecto" literally means "Without Speech", Megaera literally means "The Greatness", and "Tisiphone" literally means "Voice of the Weak".

As a personal note, I think "Tisiphone" would be the best name, just because of the awesomeness that implies.

Added poll: http://goo.gl/dT1X1E

Edited by Llyssa

Furies?

Rather confusing don't you think? And how do you name multiple "Furies"?

I don't see demonic things on her merely some hints of torture or captivity, helmet  is not that clear either.

Edited by Morgax

Dirys would be a cool permutation of "Dire"

I don't know, I kind of like Valkyr, it gives a strong, imposing appearance. Also, Warframes are usually named after Gods, Demi-Gods, Godlike entities, or something that has to do with Old Legends.

Valkyries fit well with this term, I'm not sure everyone knows the specifics of the Furies as well as Valkyries (if peeps even know ANY of them).

DE is probably trying to keep it simple.

Warframes are usually named after Gods, Demi-Gods, Godlike entities, or something that has to do with Old Legends.

Ash, Ember, Frost, Mag, Nova, Rhino, Saryn, Vauban, Volt.

9 out of 15 warframes have nothing to do with mythology.

That said, I like Valkyr.

Edited by Kaian-a-coel

Furies is plural. A singular one is "Fury". The Furies(plural) were, again, the goddesses of vengeance, in ancient greek mythology(in fact, some versions hold them to be the daughters of Nyx).

As far as going for "known", I'm pretty sure "Vauban" was hideously obscure to almost everyone before the frame came out.

As far as not seeing the "demonic" aspect, check her out again: Her body looks like a human with the skin ripped off, and her back looks like the muscles have been ripped off as well:

tumblr_mweuvudzlG1rsn5r1o1_1280.jpg

Another point that isn't related to the name directly, but, eventually, according to everything DE has told us so far, we should be getting OTHER female warrior-oriented frames. This isn't going to be the only one

Don't you think it would make more sense to save the name "Valkyr" for some future frame that actually matches that theme, would make more sense than just going with the "Well, they're both female" link, which, honestly, is the only connection Valkyries and the frame appear to have?

Edited by Llyssa

im agreeing with the OP here, the theme of the berserker warframe appearance is imposing is not entirely suited with the name Valkyr. But the name Valkyrie might also fit on its literal meaning "chooser of slain" but not on how she do it that is being berserk on the battlefield. 

They could still try to stick in the valkyrie's theme, but chose 1 of the valkyrie names that would fit her or Valkyr <1 of the valkyrie names>( ex. Valkyr Herja). 

Gunnr- War or Battle

Herja- Devastate

Hervör alvitr- All Wise, or Strange Creature

Hildr- Battle

Hrist- Shake, Quake, The Quaking one

Kara- The Wild, or Stormy One

Reginleif- Power Trace, or Daughter of the Gods

Sanngrior- Very Violent, Very Cruel

Trima- Fight

just my 2 cents xp

Edited by KuzkinaMat

So after we all yelled "Let's name her Valkyr!", and it was (great Scott!) fulfilled, you start yelling otherwise.

Priceless.

"all" ? , im sure not all people here in the community esp in DC approved on naming her to valkyr after seeing her appearance ans skills. :o

hence Op's post.

Edited by KuzkinaMat

Actually, if you could see the DC forums, you'd note that I suggested referencing the furies there WAY early, like in the first 3 pages of the berserker post.

However, it's buried deeply.

If we can get support for the name change, we'll get it. I like valkyries, but they are not all about whips and chains and claws, and they DEFINITELY don't "rip people apart" with any of those objects. That's like the exact opposite of what valkyries do.

Valkyries are, again, angels. Holy, spear-wielding, protectors with shields and swords and wings. Nothing at all like the nightmare denizen we're getting.

If you are still yelling "NAME IT VALKYRIE", you clearly know nothing about the name source.

Most people that mentioned it said they were inspired by "shield bash", which, again, is not longer her first skill, and the "last stand" skill, which, again, is no longer her ultimate. They picked the name for a frame based on what they thought that would give, because "shield" and "last stand" do make a reasonable argument for shieldmaidens tending the fallen.

The calls for valkyrie refrences were all started before we had any art, lore, or the current skill set. We're clearly working with a totally different animal now. The concept didn't sound very norse to begin with, but most people have some blizzard-washed idea that "berzerker==norse".

the berserker itself is nordic so is valkyrie so yea, but the art work and the skills they are leaning towards for the new warframe doesnt mesh well with the valkyrie name. And as the OP said the warframe they are leaning to is the opposite on what valkyries do. Furies or other vengeance and battle related entity might work out..

Edited by KuzkinaMat

I agree with you entirely OP, Valkyr is a cool name but it needs to be saved for a frame that actually fits the class of a valkyrie. Something like this warframe should definitely be named after one of the furies, or any other type of mythological deity/creature that fits it. 

+1 to you for actually knowing a bit about mythology.

Then again our psychic warframe is named Nyx and she has nothing to do with darkness or night so I guess accurate naming isn't really all that important...

Edited by Ivalician

By naming her Valkyr (which has nothing to do with her theme of being berserk aside from being a female warrior type warframe). Theyre restricting and adding confusion in warframe namings in the future. 

Naming her Valkyr(as the name implies), restricts her as the only female melee oriented warframe, that should've been reserved for the future, maybe for a female Rhino warframe (defensive/offensive), or a Supportive female melee warframe.

^ Yeah, and also they should have renamed Nyx atleast to Eris as she is the goddess of discord,strife and chaos(quite fitting).

Shes the daughter of Nyx and the connection ends there, reserving the name Nyx for a Darkness Warframe in the furture. :D

and speaking of which, maybe the male Nyx will be called Erebus.

I don't care. Only a handful amount of warframes actually live up to their names, the rest are purely named because it's "Cool". 

I believe this is one of those "cool" names that don't live up to the mythology. To be honest, I am fine with that and I am not going to make a pointless fuzz over something so simple as a name. As long as the gameplay is good she could be called Dirtroller for all I care. 

I hate it. Valkyr is a cool name and all, but give it to a Warframe that it actually fits. I agree with the above suggestion of a female rhino or tank/support frame. The Valkyrie were angelic and this frame reminds me more of a beast, animal, or even so far gone as a werewolf or the like.

As far as the OP goes, I 100% agree, and you have my +1

I like the suggested reference to the Furies as well.