Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arch111 Warframe Concepts (2015-04-14) Armoured Valkyr With Tenno Blade

arch111

Hey arch! Just a quick question because I'm curious, how high poly are your concept sculpts typically? Like the humanoid ones. Great stuff, by the by. XD

Thanks for posting, first off!

Well I keep pretty much in concept and pre-production land. Therefore I tend to avoid really high poly.

In Sculptris I have the advantage of interactive triangle tesselation, ie a detailed area is hp, an irrelevant area is lp.

Zbrush is allways hp so there we talk millions if polygons easy.

But average Id say from 300k to 700k but it varies all the time.

Thanks for posting, first off!

Well I keep pretty much in concept and pre-production land. Therefore I tend to avoid really high poly.

In Sculptris I have the advantage of interactive triangle tesselation, ie a detailed area is hp, an irrelevant area is lp.

Zbrush is allways hp so there we talk millions if polygons easy.

But average Id say from 300k to 700k but it varies all the time.

I'm actually surprised by this. XD Usually concept modelers go-big or go home. I guess it's good to exercise restraint as well.

...I have a bad habit of going way too high poly too quickly, and having to go back and redo the topology.

What would you say is your favorite program? I've not tried Sculptris myself, would you recommend it?

Well, I admit I too go crazy with polygon count, especially in zbrush :)

Of course this is the freedom of concepting, the pain of retopo comes at some point.

As for programs I really only have much time with Maya, zbrush and sculptris. Maya is awesome, if timeconsuming in my mind.

Zbrush is so good at tools, polypainting, retopo, posing etc.

However, sculptris is very fast. I dont know what you use, but I can get a basic concept down in minutes using nohing but sculptris.

It can then be exported into zb by goz or other programs.

A flow of concept sc > zb > refine & poing > retopo is pretty great.

And its free, so many freelancers use sculptris and blender abd gimp with great success.

What do you use yourself?

What do you use yourself?

Maya and Zbrush with a touch of Mudbox if I'm feeling especially daring (Because mudbox is often finicky about importing models). I need to learn 3D studio max as well, and I hear much about Sculptris and that it's a very similar application. XD And I go crazy with poly in Zbrush, I breach 1 mil like there's no tomorrow. Which perhaps isn't the best thing. XD

My workflow for modeling is to build something out of Zspheres then Dynamesh it to death until I get the shape I want. Then Zremesher. Subdivide something highpoly. Export lowest subdivision GoZ into Maya. Clean it up more with a retopo overhaul, then sending in the high mesh to bake over it. (Sometimes I bake in Zbrush, but I have weird things happen to it usually.) Then after a nice romp in UV and texture work. I'll send it into something like Unreal or just render a turntable. Unless I need to rig it, but I don't do much with that really. You ever dabble with rigging or animating your models?

Interesting. I need to learn more zb honestly. I have my share of zspere trees and such, not used dynamesh so much though.

Yes, i have done both maya > zb then back again or the other way, I detest retopology though but its a evil we must have.

I have done animation and allways keep that in mind, actually I plan to rig and animate some wf shorts. Not Clone Wars class mind you ^u^ but would be really cool.

When I do its in Maya.

Dynamesh changes lives. XD You can actually see what looks to be dynamesh artifacting on some of the warframe models' displacement maps. So you'll have to watch out for that. Dynamesh will alter the mesh of your model to be a series of equally spaced polygons, often times without well placed edge-flow (expect some poopy pixely creases). By that same token, you get a mesh you can shove about anything into and blend it into the mesh. :D It's the playdough of Zbrush and designed for concept modeling.

If I make the base mesh in maya, its usually for something more streamlined or hardsurface. Because extrusion modeling is great for that, and you'd get a cleaner mesh out of it, usually. Then I'd throw it into Zbrush for some scratches and detailing. All that fun jazz.

Ahh, I'm not much of an animator myself. XD I do 2D more than 3D animation usually. I guess at the end of the day, they're not that different. Except one involves fighting with a graph-editor that doesn't seem to want to cooperate and the other is drawing the same character until your palms are raw. XD

I look forward to seeing your animations though. :D Good luck with them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Corpus Captain.

Bio

To be promoted to command a ship is probably a big career-move and one step closer to being one of the Elite.

Of course the job comes with its fair share of risk, Tenno killers and Grineer boarding parties are ever present.

For this reason a Captain wear a suit both sheilded and armoured. To display the status of Rank, it is embelished with Forma, apropriate given their regard for Wealth and their link to the Orokin.

As for powers, I rather see them as a mix of a VIP and Eximus.

Meaning a Aura boosting speed and health to other units.

Increased prescense of railgun Moas, as well as Techs wich will act as a Guard for the Captain who can allso re-activate (repair) destroyed turrets and activate energy barriers without the need of a console.

The Captain is connected to the Ship and can issue commands via remote access.

Every ship should have one, unless it is damaged or other reasons.

corpus_captain_wip_by_gaber111-d7qmcy1.j

• 4 weeks later...

You have been busy during my hiatus.

Yes well, not so much in concepting as in drawing. I seriously need to do more both 2D and 3D and I have some good projects in the forums.

Just need to actually *finnish* some if them x)

Lamia Warframe Concept.

She is an angelic vampiric deathdealer.

Early ideas so far, but will keep working on it.new_warframe_concept_wip_by_gaber111-d7w

Looks very Grineer. I do imagine a vampiric frame as taking on a Oberon like role. A support frame that is half damage dealer half healer. Though in this case instead if damage dealing it should be damage leeching.

Looks very Grineer. I do imagine a vampiric frame as taking on a Oberon like role. A support frame that is half damage dealer half healer. Though in this case instead if damage dealing it should be damage leeching.

its just damn tricky. I mean, we have Trinity who do the Well of Life leaching right. Then on the concept table, there is Typhus who buffs himself by stealing from the enemy.

We have Valkyr who becomes this unstoppable force as an ult.

I want something we havent done before. Thats when the deathdealer comes in.

By killing, she buffs herself. When she has collected enough "blood" , her body transforms into a melee angel of death for the duration.

In my mind she woukd allso have unuque attack chains like stances, only unuque to her.

The longer the attack lasts, the more combos are reached - like a fighting game.

To not make her totally OP, she needs to have an achilles heel. She *must feed* and maby her stats will suffer if she is not carefull.

Ideas?

its just damn tricky. I mean, we have Trinity who do the Well of Life leaching right. Then on the concept table, there is Typhus who buffs himself by stealing from the enemy.

We have Valkyr who becomes this unstoppable force as an ult.

I want something we havent done before. Thats when the deathdealer comes in.

By killing, she buffs herself. When she has collected enough "blood" , her body transforms into a melee angel of death for the duration.

In my mind she woukd allso have unuque attack chains like stances, only unuque to her.

The longer the attack lasts, the more combos are reached - like a fighting game.

To not make her totally OP, she needs to have an achilles heel. She *must feed* and maby her stats will suffer if she is not carefull.

Ideas?

Hmm, I dont know about a "melee" angel of death because of valkyr. But I do think she should have some sort of attack stance unique to her. Maybe something like ash teleport and you can go over to an enemy and choose to either do a finnisher or infect them and have them drop their weapons and turn into a berserker and fight for you.

I do really like the idea of needing to feed. But then we need to decide what the concunces will be for not feeding. Will her stats slowly drop, will she receive a damage nerf? The we could also have it be she can overcharge a bit by feeding that may give her a stats boost or a damage boost bht that would probably be too op.

mybe for her ultimate she could have infect. Infect would slowly turn all enemies (or upto x amount) in an aoe into a berserker, but this would take 30 or so seconds and they would have low health in the process while also receiving a MASSIVE damage buff so you have tondecide between trying to survive or killing them off.

Edited by Drunken_Child

Hmm. The idea of infusing fury in others to fight for you sound good, allthough Nekros and Nyx got their own posse, don´t they?

As for not feeding, at first I figured it would act as a bleedout somehow. This would really force a player to move, and not play with room-killer frames I guess.

One cool ability could be to target enemies in advance. Say you mark enemy 1,2,3 by highlighting and then pressing x.

When you attack, you then sort of have them "locked" so you can do a tripple attack-combo.

This could even be combined with teleportation/aoe knockdowns and so on.

to be honest i like the Angelic designs, 

idea for my concept: maybe incorporate a bit of that into the 3D model design for Phantus? wanna see on how that would play out

Sure! I am allways trying to find something cool. I have an idea for Phsntus that may work, since you dont like the organic warframes that much.

Not ready to show anything yet though.

Still think the Druid theme should be used to its full potential.

This is Carmilla, as she is taking her first uncertain steps into 3d.

I am mainly thinking of the theme and 2d-sketch at the moment.

I am happy with the direction she is heading, the body I am still not sure about.

carmilla_wip2_01_by_gaber111-d7wsuas.jpg

Yes its very difficult with your style being a head on 2d sketch but I still like it and your 3 versions seems to be just as good but I am no concept artist so what would I know? Wow that was a back handed complement.