Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does the "no eye" rule exist if de breaks it themselves?

No seriously, why is it still a rule to not have eyes in tennogen if literally EVERY SINGLE mirage helmet (minus the deluxe skin) has eyes? And then we have wisp tennogen with eyes that are literally approved by DE and added to the game. Why is this even a rule in the first place if you are simply going to add frames who straight up ignore it?

You know Yareli would be less ugly if she had eyes right? Why doesn't she get a helmet but Mirage does?

Why is this even a rule in the first place? It's not like frames would resemble people if they had a few helmets with eyes. Like you give them visors and stuff but draw the line at eyes? 

Likely because "eyes" are already a feature on their default helmets unlike Yareli. And it'd be easier to just disallow the aesthetic for frames it doesn't fit and helps prevent any future "Flight Attendant Nova" issues.

5 hours ago, trst said:

Likely because "eyes" are already a feature on their default helmets unlike Yareli. And it'd be easier to just disallow the aesthetic for frames it doesn't fit and helps prevent any future "Flight Attendant Nova" issues.

Oh I want to hear about this, please share.

5 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

don't worry, I got an image of an Atlas Tennogen Helmet that has eyes:

Reveal hidden contents

Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

Truly the most powerful helmet 

5 hours ago, trst said:

Wisp damas also literally has a mouth along with eyes, which definitely would break that rule, but de doesn't care about it.

Meanwhile they still have it as a rule even though they literally don't care about the rule.

5 hours ago, TomCruisesSon said:

Harrow Prime has eyes. So does Nidus' Kuvael Scrounger skin

I forgot about the nidus skin, and I can kinda see what you mean for harrow.

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Oh I want to hear about this, please share.

What, the Nova skin?

IIRC, Nova's Visage skin (literally has a flight attendant style "hat") is one DE begrudgingly added in because it won the rounds of player voting. It was following that round that DE added a stricter set of design rules.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Wisp damas also literally has a mouth along with eyes, which definitely would break that rule, but de doesn't care about it.

Meanwhile they still have it as a rule even though they literally don't care about the rule.

As I understand it they just don't want skins being added that break the frame/game's aesthetics too hard. And the frames which they do seem to allow "eyes" for are all the ones who have them on their default/alt helmets.

So it's more so a rule DE already breaks for those frames and extended that to their Tennogen options but doesn't want players breaking it for other frames.

5 minutes ago, trst said:

What, the Nova skin?

IIRC, Nova's Visage skin (literally has a flight attendant style "hat") is one DE begrudgingly added in because it won the rounds of player voting. It was following that round that DE added a stricter set of design rules.

As I understand it they just don't want skins being added that break the frame/game's aesthetics too hard. And the frames which they do seem to allow "eyes" for are all the ones who have them on their default/alt helmets.

So it's more so a rule DE already breaks for those frames and extended that to their Tennogen options but doesn't want players breaking it for other frames.

Bro my equinox is literally an anime catgirl because of tennogen, and de is worried a couple lights on the front of my frame will break the immersion of the game?

They don't even have to be lights as you can make eyes in a variety of interesting ways, so idk why it's not allowed, like they could ban human-like eyes and let us get some cyborg eyes or something.

A lot of graxx skins also have eyes/goggles on them.

mirage is an exception because her helmets are based off of masquerade masks, and with the exception of the prime helmet, the eyes are just creepy little pinholes. that being said, there was an edit from she was leaked that removed the eyes, and it looks a whole lot better

wisp's damas helmet got in because the eyes are abstracted enough that it still fits within the tenno style, and grineer tennogen skins are allowed eyes because their signature masks are such a distinctive feature of the grineer design

12 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

You know Yareli would be less ugly if she had eyes right? Why doesn't she get a helmet but Mirage does?

I can't imagine eyes improving either of her helmets at all. the alt helmet has a face covering, and the default helmet has enough facial detail as is

Its always been my understanding, that its more about avoiding the aesthetic of typical organic, functioning eyes. Abstraction of eyes as a design is fine. Also, a consideration for designs. Meaning... often this is easier to demonstrate with visual examples. Lots of Warframes, masks, have loosely eye like abstractions, they get in, but I know i could probably make a lot of designs with eyes that would also get rejected as well. Also, if DE showed us designs that were rejected because of "eyes", we could all probably make small suggestions, on ways to conform to the rule, by making the "eye like design" more abstract, mask like, more of a pattern or marking, more artificial in nature, seem less like an eye etc. 

So really its about interpretation and understanding of a rule and why it exists. What designs have been rejected because of having eyes?

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Bro my equinox is literally an anime catgirl because of tennogen, and de is worried a couple lights on the front of my frame will break the game?

They don't even have to be lights as you can make eyes in a variety of interesting ways, so idk why it's not allowed, like they could ban human-like eyes and let us get some cyborg eyes or something.

A lot of graxx skins also have eyes/goggles on them.

But it's not "literally" a catgirl helmet and keeps in line with the horn aesthetic her default and alt helmets have. Even if it's interpreted as ears it's still in line with her design.

And the Graxx line likely gets some special treatment due to the sheer popularity of all the skins in that line and how much that creator has contributed. Plus DE even worked with the artist officially before due to their work on those skins (Faven designed Xaku's official alt helmet).

At the end of the day it's DE's game and they get to make and break the rules as they see fit. If you want them to change any of their Tennogen rules then you'll have to leave feedback on it and hope others agree enough for DE to change it.

I think when they says no eyes they mean actual eyes, not optics situated on the head. As in they dont allow optics that are shaped as an eye or use a biological eye, but an "eye" shaped as a camera lens or similar and only presents energy/light is fine. So it very likely comes down to a case by case decision making.

15 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

I don't see any eyes on Harrow Prime. I see a slot where eyes would go if he had eyes, but he doesn't 

I mean if were going to specifics then none of these frames have "eyes" besides one Helmet for Umbra and Nidus Phryke's shoulders.

On 2022-08-08 at 10:10 AM, NekroArts said:

It’s not “no eyes” rule they’re using, it’s “don’t make it too human” rule. Here’s a thread on a Mesa Tennogen that the creator responded to when the change from the original design was made.

Exactly. If you look closely at a LOT of warframes they have eye pits or eye dots or things that might be construed as visual receptors. That's not the same as human looking eyes or biological eyes. I tend to think as warframes as armor or robots, and having life-like eyes on them would honestly be a bad thing.

Eyes are completely fine to do for helmets, it's all about the style, the faction, and design of the eyes that can be an issues. It's all-encompassing rule, as it can depend on artist to artist. 

As far as I'm concerned, Mirage Prime would basically be the only exception of biologically accurate human eyes... if you don't take notice of her eyes not being *that* accurate, only in shape. Almost like an closest allusion of the human eye possible, which considering Mirage's jester characteristics... yeah that makes sense. 

The Excalibur Umbra Sunder helmet even has an realistic physical human eye. This isn't just a dot or lasers or a slit in the helmet or a circular outline, it is an actual eye you can see on the skin.

Don't know about the intent of the rule but it could just be done to prevent scary skins from coming out and looking like thousand eyes restrict or something you would see during Halloween for example so that could help explain why they are more lenient about using something else to portray it.

Archived