Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are there other games similar to Warframe?

MutoManiac

Hi, I like sci-fi and not fantasy type dungeons, dragons, horses or any of those games. I loved the Borderlands series, but haven't played Wonderlands yet as I heard it was bad.

Are there similar games to Warframe either first person or third person and never those ones that you have the perspective of being god and have tiny characters running around trying to do sh!t. Something with lots of different guns as I'm picky about my weapons and needs to be sci-fi. I don't care about melee either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The first that comes to mind is Destiny.  I've played 1 but not 2 because it was a bit too FPS for my tastes (I prefer 3rd Person, melee, and more RPG elements).  If you haven't played them yet, maybe give Destiny 2 a try?

I also heard the folks behind Genshin Impact has a scifi series...  Honkai Impact?  Haven't played any of their games, so I cannot say how well it fits what you're looking for...

You can actually search "what games are similar to Warframe" and find several lists of multiple games that are similar in certain ways. While games journalism is infamous for being terrible, that might be a good place to start.

Based on your criteria, you might like Destiny 2, Outriders, or the Division 2 (might be stretching sci-fi there). 

The Mass Effect Trilogy might be up your alley. The third game's multiplayer was apparently an inspiration for some of the lead developers at DE.

Dead Space series has some pretty solid shooting if you like scifi horror. Can't say anything about 3 since I never played that one, but first 2 are really good.

Bioshock? It's scifi, just not deep space and it's set in the 1940s. But you get cool powers and a good arsenal of upgradable weapons.

I'll add more if anything else comes to mind.

3 hours ago, MqToasty said:

The first that comes to mind is Destiny.  I've played 1 but not 2 because it was a bit too FPS for my tastes (I prefer 3rd Person, melee, and more RPG elements).  If you haven't played them yet, maybe give Destiny 2 a try?

I also heard the folks behind Genshin Impact has a scifi series...  Honkai Impact?  Haven't played any of their games, so I cannot say how well it fits what you're looking for...

I tried Destiny 2 a little and maybe cause it’s in the beginning stages, but it felt a little meh. Will definitely give it another go and maybe it gets better. Will also try Honkai, so thanks.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Ampathetiic said:

You can actually search "what games are similar to Warframe" and find several lists of multiple games that are similar in certain ways. While games journalism is infamous for being terrible, that might be a good place to start.

Based on your criteria, you might like Destiny 2, Outriders, or the Division 2 (might be stretching sci-fi there). 

I did like Outriders, but haven’t tried the latest content, so I might go back. Division 2 is Ubisoft and I haven’t liked anything from them in the past though. Ty

3 hours ago, TomCruisesSon said:

The Mass Effect Trilogy might be up your alley. The third game's multiplayer was apparently an inspiration for some of the lead developers at DE.

Dead Space series has some pretty solid shooting if you like scifi horror. Can't say anything about 3 since I never played that one, but first 2 are really good.

Bioshock? It's scifi, just not deep space and it's set in the 1940s. But you get cool powers and a good arsenal of upgradable weapons.

I'll add more if anything else comes to mind.

I’ve heard good things about Mass Effect, so might try them. Thanks

Dead space was great, but had ammo issues for me and the same for Bioshock. 

My favorite games so far (even older ones cause graphics are not the priority):

Crysis series

Borderlands series

Bionic Commando

Half Life series

Doom series

Bullet Storm

Unreal Tournament series

Prototype

Lost Planet

Serious Sam series

Basically, I like to shoot things and the more things, the better. Warframe though is my favorite by far.

1 hour ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

I’ve heard good things about Mass Effect, so might try them. Thanks

Dead space was great, but had ammo issues for me and the same for Bioshock. 

My favorite games so far (even older ones cause graphics are not the priority):

Crysis series

Borderlands series

Bionic Commando

Half Life series

Doom series

Bullet Storm

Unreal Tournament series

Prototype

Lost Planet

Serious Sam series

Basically, I like to shoot things and the more things, the better. Warframe though is my favorite by far.

If a games age does not bother you the Armored Core series is pretty fun with some customization like WF.

Games I haven't tried but seem like they would be fun for you would be the Earth Defense Force series and Second Extinction.

Annnnnd I definitely recommend keeping an eye on Exoprimal. Looks like it has a little bit of all those games you listed.

45 minutes ago, TomCruisesSon said:

If a games age does not bother you the Armored Core series is pretty fun with some customization like WF.

Games I haven't tried but seem like they would be fun for you would be the Earth Defense Force series and Second Extinction.

Annnnnd I definitely recommend keeping an eye on Exoprimal. Looks like it has a little bit of all those games you listed.

Great, will go check those out. Thanks

- Mothergunship : Basically mecha version of Doom but with less focus on story

- Daemon X Machina : Looter game with mechs like Gundam

- Mass effect : If you like a simple cover shooter and banging alien girls

Can't recommend destiny 2 at all though, too much paywall and things you do is grind power requirement on repeat like a hamster wheel. Worse, they're chopping content as separate purchase.

Let's take it like this, PoE and OV cost $40 each and you get things in it (eidolon and orb fight), but Cambion Drift now doesn't include Isolation Vault because they want you to have "more control on your purchase" so Isolation Vault is sold at $20.

Guess what, it's still sold at $40

Can't recommend especially when so many complaints you can see on bungie forums

Ratchet & Clank.

I just get that feel from warframe like R&C games have scifi over the top weapons. You travel planet to planet. loading screen is your ship flying in space. 

Especially Ratchet Deadlocked gives me warframe vibes since that game is more into shooting. 

Alternox's alternative fire also reminds me of Proton Drum from Ratchet & Clank 2016 remake game. 

https://youtu.be/XXzIm6PX1kM

6 hours ago, TheArmchairThinker said:

- Mothergunship : Basically mecha version of Doom but with less focus on story

- Daemon X Machina : Looter game with mechs like Gundam

- Mass effect : If you like a simple cover shooter and banging alien girls

Can't recommend destiny 2 at all though, too much paywall and things you do is grind power requirement on repeat like a hamster wheel. Worse, they're chopping content as separate purchase.

Let's take it like this, PoE and OV cost $40 each and you get things in it (eidolon and orb fight), but Cambion Drift now doesn't include Isolation Vault because they want you to have "more control on your purchase" so Isolation Vault is sold at $20.

Guess what, it's still sold at $40

Can't recommend especially when so many complaints you can see on bungie forums

Thanks those look like fun. And yeah, noticed that about Destiny, much $$$$$$$.

The only other PvE i play besides WF is Killing Floor2, it does have similarities with WF like priority targets and trash mobs, you have ten different perks (like warframes) with skills that level up and affect their weapon loadout. There are perks that use sniper weapons or perks that use explosive weapons and they are equally effective when your aim starts to get good.

Funny thing is that  just like in Warframe the AoE perks and the more aim focused perks do not play that well together in a random squad. But unlike warframe in single player perks that rely on aim are just as effective as AoE perks.

3 hours ago, Jonas_T_acc said:

The only other PvE i play besides WF is Killing Floor2, it does have similarities with WF like priority targets and trash mobs, you have ten different perks (like warframes) with skills that level up and affect their weapon loadout. There are perks that use sniper weapons or perks that use explosive weapons and they are equally effective when your aim starts to get good.

Funny thing is that  just like in Warframe the AoE perks and the more aim focused perks do not play that well together in a random squad. But unlike warframe in single player perks that rely on aim are just as effective as AoE perks.

Oh, great, I got that one for free from Epic a while back. Will try it. Thanks

On 2022-08-12 at 8:50 AM, MqToasty said:

Honkai was before genshin, but yes it is definitely sci fi. If I remembered Honkai has better combat and more advanced story,  but genshin is much more popular, has the entirety of the game (minus quest dungeons) take place in an open world, and has the elemental reactions used in combat 

Remnant from the Ashes is a great game if you like "soulslike" gameplay mixed with warframe gameplay. You have a lot of ranged weapons and even something called "mods" that are more like arcanes that allows to perform magic stuff. I love that game, even if I'm almost 100% (already finished everything for normal gameplay) I still come back from time to time and do a new haracter and start over, it's great.

Strange no one mentioned Deep Rock Galactic here yet.

It is much more co-op focused than Warframe, can be very challenging depending on the difficulty setting. And has 4 distinct classes with a total of 24 decently balanced and highly customisable weapons. Plus of course the class-specific traversal tools, as it is very much focused on overcoming challenging terrain.

Altgough that not running out of ammo preference isn't checked out. Ammo management is one of the corner stones there.

2 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Remnant from the Ashes is a great game if you like "soulslike" gameplay mixed with warframe gameplay. You have a lot of ranged weapons and even something called "mods" that are more like arcanes that allows to perform magic stuff. I love that game, even if I'm almost 100% (already finished everything for normal gameplay) I still come back from time to time and do a new haracter and start over, it's great.

2 hours ago, ant99999 said:

Strange no one mentioned Deep Rock Galactic here yet.

It is much more co-op focused than Warframe, can be very challenging depending on the difficulty setting. And has 4 distinct classes with a total of 24 decently balanced and highly customisable weapons. Plus of course the class-specific traversal tools, as it is very much focused on overcoming challenging terrain.

Altgough that not running out of ammo preference isn't checked out. Ammo management is one of the corner stones there.

Will need to look at those also. Thanks guys.

19 minutes ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

Will need to look at those also. Thanks guys.

This how the endgame from Remanant looks like (video only shows boss fights):

Guy making the videos is also insanely skilled, check out his channel if you want to look for more Remnant content

Archived