Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Simple Way To Allow Players To Insert Their Own Bgm

shut

Basically, each boss gets a "boss_bossname.wav" sound file assigned to it, located in a new easy-to-access "sound" folder. The sound file is empty, or contains one of the current taiko drum loops. In Stalker's case, his sound file contains his current background theme in .wav form.

The folder would look something like this:
oJSkDtj.png

For the start of each boss battle, put some simple code into the game so that the boss's respective .wav file plays and loops (either at the specified loop points of the file, or, if there are none, loop back to the beginning every time the sound file ends) until something happens that would signal the end of the boss fight, such as the boss dying or the player leaving the mission.
e.g. Player does an Everest run, and when Ruk spawns, "boss_ruk.wav" plays and loops until Ruk dies or the player leaves. The sound file is currently empty, so nothing is actually played.

What this will allow is for players who want to have their own boss BGM to simply paste in their song's .wav file, rename it to match their desired boss's name (e.g. rename "iamgladbecauseimfinallyreturninghome.wav" to "boss_ruk.wav"), and then have that sound file play whenever the boss appears.

Basically, very similar to what Vindictus had.
For those who don't know, Vindictus had all of the boss battle music stored similarly in a "bgm" folder. On the off chance that players did not like what they heard when bosses spawned, they were free to swap the files around with any reasonable-length .wav that they wished. The players who knew about this gave unanimously positive feedback. (As a Vindictus player since 2010 Open Beta, I have yet to see a single complaint about it.)

The point of this is to allow the players' desired BGM to begin and end automatically, to maximize immersion for those who prefer BGM in their boss fights.

Manually playing and stopping BGM before and after boss fights drains immersion from these players, and having the music playing throughout the entire mission lessens the excitement of the actual boss fight.

Of course, this is probably a bit harder to implement than it sounds. However, I still think it's still a relatively simple method to allow some players to enhance their gameplay experience by a substantial amount.

TL;DR

Boss fights play a BGM sound file that contains no sound. Nothing changes for those who don't tamper with the files.

Players are able to replace these empty sound files with their own desired BGM files, so their BGM will play during the specific boss fight.

This is simply for players who wish to maximize immersion while having their desired background music for boss battles. Players who currently enjoy gameplay with music in the background, gameplay as it is, or gameplay with friends on the line are unaffected.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by SortaRandom

Instead of getting DE to devalue their sound dev team, why not just set the music volume to 0 in Settings and run your own music in the background?

Unless you have a few random collections of instrumental tracks, any way you slice it it would sound horrid.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

Instead of getting DE to devalue their sound dev team, why not just set the music volume to 0 in Settings and run your own music in the background?

Starting and ending the music manually at every boss fight drains the immersion and takes the player out of "the zone", and having the music play the whole time lessens the impact of the actual boss fight. The point of this is to allow the music to begin and end automatically, even for randomly-occurring enemies such as Stalker.

Also, their sound team isn't being devalued; it's simply an option that's being thrown out there for the players who feel that adding BGM would improve their gameplay experience, just like what the Vindictus team did.

Edited by SortaRandom

to be honest... my take on the entirety of this thread is simply "meh".

not bothered one way or the other.

i usually have music on in the background anyway... or i have a chat room full of screaming idiots friends.

side note:

dont really see how anyone could be "immersed" in warframe honestly.

3rd person view instantly kills that for me.

Edited by alchemistjkt

Again, the point of this is for it to be automatic. If you have to manually activate the music for fights or if you just have it constantly playing in the background, it's not true BGM, it's just music that happens to be playing in the background.

This suggestion is for those who won't do with manually activating their music in this way, such as myself. Even if we had a computer that was magically able to detect which boss we're fighting, doing something as simple as pressing a single button to begin the specific sound file would drain immersion instantly. It simply isn't the same as having the game run it automatically.

Edited by SortaRandom

It would be simple of the game had it's sound system setup like that. I personally rarely ever see PC games that support this nowadays. The old Counter Strike games let you do this - create sound folder and add files with proper names to easily replace the actual sound ingame.

Anyways, I don't think it's necessary. We should just let DE work on the music and implement it as they see fit for now. Unfortunately it's been taking so long. There's been several sound changes over the months yet those same bongos on a 3-second loop are still present practically every single mission u_u