Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Deck + Keyboard and Mouse

DSMK2

Been trying to launch Warframe from desktop mode to use KB+M, since launching Warframe in game mode causes the mouse to be mapped to the touchpad...

I can't get past the login screen, as Warframe launches in controller mode, the mouse cursor is functional, but I can't click on the password input to enter my password. Has anyone found a workaround?

I have this issue as well. After searching around the forums, it seems to be a result of an issue a couple years old where the game locks-in to controller-mode if a controller is detected on game start. Unlike many other games, Warframe doesn’t allow you to switch between input types on the fly (beyond changing cursor type to mouse). So, if you want to use kb+m, the only solution is to start the game without a controller attached.

But, take a look inside the game’s properties in desktop mode and you’ll notice that “Steam Input” is set to “always required.” Further, the on-board controller can’t be “disconnected” due to the wired or built-in state. So we can probably conclude on why the issue occurs, but not how to fix it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I find it quite strange that it's locking into this mode. This mode used to be exclusively only able to pop up like this if you ran it from big picture mode. Since the controller update some time ago, they made the game toggle modes better in desktop mode, but they never really made BPM stop locking this mode, however I don't know how you're getting locked into it if you launch from desktop as that shouldn't happen... on windows anyway. hmm. In any case I do wish they'd fix that. I don't know if they can make a toggle in game to make that fire off when BPM is active or not. In any case, I dunno if deck does it yet but on old BPM Steam+Back/Select summons a keyboard anywhere, anyway, if you needed to type, they probably should just get rid of that mode entirely at this point.

I have tried numerous fixes that players created but none seem to work and the game won't even load in desktop mode with any but the default one. Yet Xbox fixed this issue several years ago and today I downloaded the game on my Xbox Series X and setting up to play with a keyboard and mouse was flawless and the game itself detected them.

So who needs to fix this? Valve (Steam), DE, both???

Some type of support or response from DE would be really appreciated as I love this game and I really liked playing it on my big TV and relaxing on the sofa. Unfortunately using a controller is not a good option for me due to personal issues. I know once we have cross save it won't be an issue as I can just play it on the Xbox, though the Steam Deck is more convenient to use because I can use it in different rooms (I have a couple of stands with TV hook ups).

Any info/update would be appreciated, from anyone really.

Same. I was very happy to start back playing with my friends, but spending several tries first on login issue, then trying to play with gamepad both ended as big disappointement. Even missed the free Warframe because of that (didn't try to play during that event).

Please DE put resolving this issue as a priority, I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that (would) love playing Warframe but cannot appreciate any because in spite of your best efforts for people used to TPS/FPS on computer keyboard + mouse is still king.

I really hope it's fixed before my friends finish completing all content they had missed since 2 years ago, since they grind hard it won't take them long now. xd

For all still following, the linked Reddit post may be your solution. I haven’t tested it yet myself for Warframe. Note that there are two links which should already be sufficiently described in the post. The first link should theoretically work based on my response above. The disabled on-board controller should then no longer allow the game itself to interfere with kb+m controls. The second link automates the process.

On 2022-10-05 at 5:04 AM, Citan666 said:

Same. I was very happy to start back playing with my friends, but spending several tries first on login issue, then trying to play with gamepad both ended as big disappointement. Even missed the free Warframe because of that (didn't try to play during that event).

Please DE put resolving this issue as a priority, I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that (would) love playing Warframe but cannot appreciate any because in spite of your best efforts for people used to TPS/FPS on computer keyboard + mouse is still king.

I really hope it's fixed before my friends finish completing all content they had missed since 2 years ago, since they grind hard it won't take them long now. xd

JIC you can use an external BT controller and set layout as using one of Valve's default controller templates. Warframe's default template doesn't work because it uses 'joystick mouse' rather than 'controller joystick' for said joysticks, which messes with sensitivity for the game. The template also omits many benefits of using the controller, such as d-pad menu navigation. Basically, just use Valve's default gamepad template, and Warframe should be 100% playable.

• Like 1

On 2022-10-06 at 9:27 AM, Nuanulla said:

For all still following, the linked Reddit post may be your solution. I haven’t tested it yet myself for Warframe. Note that there are two links which should already be sufficiently described in the post. The first link should theoretically work based on my response above. The disabled on-board controller should then no longer allow the game itself to interfere with kb+m controls. The second link automates the process.

Had a try and it still seems to be launching in the "Controller Only" mode, the other guide you suggested shows that when you enter "lsusb" it shows a list of all HID devices.

I noticed there's still `Bus 003 Device 002: ID 28de:1205 Valve Software Steam Deck Controller` listed and I wonder if that's the reason as to why Warframe is still launching like this, gonna figure out if there's a way I can also disable that one temporarily. Found this github page but coming from a windows user I have no idea how the hek I compile/run this kinda code.

https://github.com/0xDRRB/USBdetach

I'm calling it quits on my end I spent way too long trying to get this to run, but I hope my post helps anyone else wanting to attempt this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i read a lot about this issue on the internet but nothing really helped in this case. Steam released a preview build which fixed it for many players except for Warframe. Looks like this one has to be done by DE for implementing the option to use controller AND kb+mouse at the same time (like Valve told all developers over and over again). 

So now I am waiting for DE to help us out please and fix this issue. I know you can and will. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

Following up, Steam Deck OS's latest stable build lets us almost fully play Warframe with keyboard and mouse. Almost, because right now it's a clumsy hybrid where you have to switch between the keyboard and Steam Deck to operate some elements of the game.

• Menu requires hopping on the Steam Deck controls to operate
  • Orbiter features require hopping on the Steam Deck controls to operate
  • Easiest in mission example is the Corpus hacking minigames, I'd have to jump from KB+M controls to the Steam Deck, so I instead hit 'Y' for the cipher auto-solve.
  • A more recent example is Kahl's Prison Break mission, normally in command mode on PC, you can left click to issue troop commands, but you have to press 'X' on the Steam Deck to issue the command. Yet somehow you're able to right click to regroup, and the game reflects that with a right click mouse icon.
    • Amusingly, pressing 'X' and 'Y' on the keyboard do count for gamepad button presses.

For reference, someone dropped this:

ive made another attempt to get the standalone version of warframe installed and properly launching more then once without reinstalling, i found due to a combination of the steamdeck's solution for windows based games, it will install the launcher as typical for the deck but will allow the actual game files the 30+GB download to be installed in a separate area of the file system and then every time the launcher.exe is run it recreates a new launcher folder and when it asks you to select install location you can tell it the same place as the game is already installed to and it skips through and does only needed updates to the actual game and launches but that means every time you launch the standalone it adds another 330MB folder of an extra launcher directory. after some discussion and experimentation it is possible from that behavior to assume that the launcher itself when run is searching for windows directories or a registry that the steamdeck doesnt actually mock up in the file system it creates causing the launcher to redo the install process. as that is the root cause of many launchers reinstalling parts or entirety of the games from old lutris reports. while there is the current issue of constantly adding new directories filling up hard drive space, as far as actual in-game all issues vanish entirely and i can comfortably play with mouse and keyboard even from gaming mode, im going to go back to the lutris version for its built in redirects avoiding extra installed copies of the launcher directory. so for now the only way i know of for playing warframe on deck without input issues is to install lutris and install warframe via lutris and select the add to steam option on install

Edited by yamishan
update/Clarification

Update: I found how to play Warframe with a keyboard and mouse, no issues, no having to use a controller at all. I looked up on how to install Windows on the Steam Deck. I didn't want to mess with the original SteamOS so I installed Windows 10 on a micro-SD card. I also did all the drivers and updates listed at the Steam Deck webpage and I have sound, amazing graphics and a totally working system. And when I don't want to use the Windows version, I can easily swap out the micro-SD card or just boot up on the SteamOS. Hopefully Steam will come out with a way to dual boot (which they were supposed to have but I can't find it anywhere, just scripts others made for it). Get ready to spend a couple of hours doing it. But at least for now I have a way to play on my Steam Deck. I hope this helps others.

1 hour ago, Awukonging said:

Update: I found how to play Warframe with a keyboard and mouse, no issues, no having to use a controller at all. I looked up on how to install Windows on the Steam Deck. I didn't want to mess with the original SteamOS so I installed Windows 10 on a micro-SD card. I also did all the drivers and updates listed at the Steam Deck webpage and I have sound, amazing graphics and a totally working system. And when I don't want to use the Windows version, I can easily swap out the micro-SD card or just boot up on the SteamOS. Hopefully Steam will come out with a way to dual boot (which they were supposed to have but I can't find it anywhere, just scripts others made for it). Get ready to spend a couple of hours doing it. But at least for now I have a way to play on my Steam Deck. I hope this helps others.

i want to play without having to redo the operating system or swapping things around im hoping that by bringing this set of issues up we can get DE to fix the steam version to work with the steamdeck with mouse and keyboard not be forced to change operating systems to run, also i do have it running via lutris fine, but thats not the point either proper native support or native fixes so we dont have to jump through all sorts of nonsense like lutris or installing windows.

Am 20.10.2022 um 15:06 schrieb Awukonging:

I did that too. So far all good except I can’t play in full screen. If I chose to play in full screen mode I get the black screen issue 🥺

3 hours ago, WhiskeyAlphaRomeo said:

I am going to hop in here and add I am also experiencing this problem. It's infuriating. I am just trying to use my deck docked since I'm traveling on business... tried disabling the controller at a hardware level, and no dice.

atm only way to reliably play on steamdeck without installing windows is using lutris to install and play warframe. works correctly that way but its not perfect much rather have it run properly without having to grab lutris occasionally hiccups a bit depending on settings mainly because lutris isnt ideal for running some games.

10 hours ago, gUz3 said:

I did that too. So far all good except I can’t play in full screen. If I chose to play in full screen mode I get the black screen issue 🥺

regular steamOS installing lutris then installing warframe through lutris works in all ways just occasional hiccups depending on settings no fullscreen issues. good to know that even windows wont handle it quite right all the time on deck.

On 2022-10-20 at 9:06 AM, Awukonging said:

Hopefully Steam will come out with a way to dual boot (which they were supposed to have but I can't find it anywhere, just scripts others made for it). Get ready to spend a couple of hours doing it. But at least for now I have a way to play on my Steam Deck. I hope this helps others.

Yeah that's supposed to come, but last I heard some of the Windows drivers weren't complete yet so it wasn't really being emphasized. Also they'll probably start caring more when the new BPM UI (which you would currently know as the deck's regular UI) replace the one on Windows, after that it will probably be a much more smooth experience using the deck on windows in general since all you'd really have to do is put windows on, set steam to start at boot and in bpm and you'd be practically set. As for the UI though, the windows desktop version of that is in public beta now (though a slightly less public than normal beta, you have to go a little out of your way to try it instead of it just 'being' there automatically)

Personally, I don't have a deck I'm just very well versed in using Steam Input and dealing with some BPM issues over time. That being said, I think a lot of the hassles would go away if DE discontinued their antiquated "console mode." Silly question, but do you guys on the deck have the ability to run desktop Steam entirely, including it's overlay if you choose to instead of the big picture mode one? The reason I ask, is I know by default "if you have a controller plugged in" the BPM overlay gets used, and a game, sees the game, as BPM being used, not desktop, if it knows about it and can detect it. If you can run normal desktop steam and shut off that setting so that BPM's overlay is not in game, I'd really like to see if you had a better chance at making it run.

In Warframe's case it absolutely can detect BPM's overlay existing, and will force it's "console style mode" when it does, this will lock you into the thing where you have to like, do BPM's popup prompts and on screen keyboard to login and stuff, and 3/4 of the kb/m controls don't work right. The regular desktop mode, should allow you to launch the game and actually have clickable text fields and type from an outside keyboard and such until a controller button is pressed.

In the past, running the game from the desktop, used to be the opposite, pad sucked, kb/m worked, BPM launched it the other opposite way. A few years ago, they finally merged this so it flip flops inputs like a proper modern game... but only if you run it from desktop, not if it thinks you're running BPM ;\ At first I had been excited they were finally fixing this, but for years, and years, they forgot to actually fix or remove this broken old console mode.

Anyway, I made another thread I'll link below, that I hope won't fall on deaf ears but I'm sure it's not their top priority by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm trying to plea for them to remove the console style mode from the game entirely. I think this old, very broken mode, is definitely what's causing problems with a lot of how I want to be running the game on PC, and it probably is what's breaking all your stuff on the deck as well. Personally I can't even get the text fields on the login screen to work in the "console style" mode anymore. Pads work mostly fine from the new desktop mode, but sure can't edit them with the overlay or use touch menus/radials this way.

Edited by Drex83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

8 months later still unable to play warframe on steam deck because of no proper keyboard and mouse. don't bother telling me to install windows, one of the main reasons for my purchase was to get away from microsoft. We NEED a proper keyboard mouse set up for steam deck with proton on native linux that works as well as not having to go into big picture mode cause the full screen is black and trying to input email, ok, password.... after 30+ tries each time trying to login..... 

DE i love you guys as a company, but we need direct de help with this major problem

• Like 1