Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What`s the difference between DMC and GOW?

(PSN)Vexx757

I love hack and slash games however I haven`t played DMC or GOW but I have played similar games like Bayonetta, Darksiders, Castlevania los, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Remember Me and Ninja Gaiden.

Unfortunately I don`t know what makes them different from each other so anyone that has played them can someone pleases tell the difference?

Just to say there are other H&S game that are coming out soon which I'm looking forward to like Soulstice, Project Eve, Project DT, Project M and Valkyrie Elysium, Soulsice being my most anticipated game of this year since it takes inspiration to Berserk and Claymore.

Shouts out to hack and slash games, they are making a comeback.

Devil May Cry is an EXTREMELY technically advanced game. The combos you can produce, even in the very first game, are insane. Switching guns in midair while jumping off enemy heads, grouping enemies up so the Million Stab combo hits all of them. And (with the exception of 2 which just doesn't exist) things only get more and more complex with each game, with 3 adding the ability to switch between melee weapons instantly and a "style" button that can add dodge chains or extra attacks. 4 adds multiple characters and the ability to switch styles mid-combo. 5 is just... Insane, it's the kind of game where mid-combo you can drive a motorcycle on thin air to extend the combo to multiple enemies.

God of War is more like a 3D platformer. Rather than focusing on making the flashiest combo, you're using your sword-chains to move between enemies, platforms, set pieces, and parts of a boss fight. Like gutting a centaur miniboss before swinging the chains over to a harpy, stealing her wings, and moving to the next arena with them

Dmc is a stylish character action game based around stringing together stylish combos, and then being ranked on such. You're given a ton of tools to work with, and it's up to you to decipher the complex mechanics and use it to your advantage. Switching weapons, styles, dodging, parrying, theres alot going on. GoW is a simple hack and slash/ platformer sort of game, if you're talking about the OG trilogy. Style isn't the name of the game, rather it's about decimating large groups of foes and feeling like a total badass while doing it. 

Devil May Cry is i think better from a story perspective, the world in DMC at least has a certain atmosphere that makes it stand out, some interesting bosses here and there and overall a nice solo experience.

Gears of War is the kind of game i would recommend for its co-op aspect.

I used to play it a lot with my little brothers when they got it on Xbox just to see how many waves could be managed with x class/weapon, getting new skins, etc., trying new challenges and difficulties. (they got bored of it quick, lmao)

DMC is a lot like MGR and Ninja Gaiden, though i only played the latter for a brief amount but that's how i remember it.

Both games are worth a try at least.

1 hour ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

Dmc is a stylish character action game 

It's spelled "spectacle fighter"

58 minutes ago, kgabor said:

Gears of War is the kind of game i would recommend for its co-op aspect.

He was asking about God of War, not Gears, lol

12 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I love hack and slash games however I haven`t played DMC or GOW but I have played similar games like Bayonetta, Darksiders, Castlevania los, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Remember Me and Ninja Gaiden.

Unfortunately I don`t know what makes them different from each other so anyone that has played them can someone pleases tell the difference?

Just to say there are other H&S game that are coming out soon which I'm looking forward to like Soulstice, Project Eve, Project DT, Project M and Valkyrie Elysium, Soulsice being my most anticipated game of this year since it takes inspiration to Berserk and Claymore.

Devil May Cry is a game to enjoy if you really just love pulling off impressive combos. The story and cutscenes isnt all that impressive, however the characters all look cool with a pretty cool concept of Demon Hybrids. Combat isnt super difficult, you just need good timing for dodging and youre golden.

God of War, combos are less flashy, but arguably the attacks are more meaningful in comparison to Devil May Cry. For GOW you want to actually select the best tool for the job, whereas in DMC youre just using everything to achieve a higher stylish rank. I think GoW story is more engaging than DmC too, especially the latest game.

All of the games you mentioned i think will feel most similar to GOW. I reccomend getting that first. Especially if you liked darksiders, the games feel identical to me.

DMC is more in a category of its own. I LOVE DMC, its my FAVORITE ❤️❤️❤️ (i got my username from it) but i like it more so for characters and heavy focus on stylish combat moves. It suffers heavily in everything else. The only reason i believe the game has existed for so long is for its potential to create an actual good story and better gameplay with its cool characters and super interesting lore, than it is for it actually being a overall good game.

I mean look at this bada, hes powerful, unstoppable, hot and he knows it! How can you get enough of him?

Dance Off Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

47 minutes ago, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

Devil May Cry is a game to enjoy if you really just love pulling off impressive combos. The story and cutscenes isnt all that impressive, however the characters all look cool with a pretty cool concept of Nephilims. Combat isnt super difficult, you just need good timing for dodging and youre golden.

God of War, combos are less flashy, but arguably the attacks are more meaningful in comparison to Devil May Cry. For GOW you want to actually select the best tool for the job, where DMC is just using everything to achieve a higher stylish rank. I think GoW story is more engaging than DmC, especially the latest game.

All of the games you mentioned i think will feel most similar to GOW. I reccomend getting that first. Especially if you liked darksiders, the games feel identical to me.

DMC is more in a category of its own. I LOVE DMC, its my FAVORITE ❤️❤️❤️ (i got my username from it) but i like it more so for characters and heavy focus on stylish combat moves. It suffers heavily in everything else. The only reason i believe the game has existed for so long is for its potential to create an actual good story and better gameplay with its cool characters and super interesting lore, than it is for it actually being a overall good game.

I mean look at this bada, hes powerful, unstoppable, hot and he knows it! How can you get enough of him?

Dance Off Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

Agree with everything but one tiny detail. Dante isn't a Nephilim. That's DMC devil may cry , which isn't canon. Normal Dante is just an op half demon.

1 hour ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

Agree with everything but one tiny detail. Dante isn't a Nephilim. That's DMC devil may cry , which isn't canon. Normal Dante is just an op half demon.

Flip nevermind youre right, i always called him nephilim. I swore the term was used at some point in canon DmC. Uncannon one really changed more than i knew

My mistake

23 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

One is guy with sword, the other is guy with axe and a son.

Difference is that you can't do insane stuff like this in gow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihmBWtxxwZI Just search dmc 5 combos and you'll see more stuff like this.

Gow is alot more grounded with the first games barely having any air combat, in dmc you can basically fly around and juggle enemies mid-air if you are skilled enough. 

Just imagine bayonetta combat but it's cranked up by 5 times. While dmc 5 requires alot of skill, i also think it is the funnest and best combat i've ever had in a hack and slash game. It's really good at making you feel like a badass when you pull of combos. Despite the skill ceiling, i can absolutely recommend it to any fan of action melee games

In gow, you play to beat the game. In dmc, you play to beat the game but with style and looking cool.

On 2022-08-25 at 3:25 PM, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

Devil May Cry is a game to enjoy if you really just love pulling off impressive combos.

Combat isnt super difficult, you just need good timing for dodging and youre golden.

Except for 3. Number 3 is pretty damn hard, even on Japanese Normal

15 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Except for 3. Number 3 is pretty damn hard, even on Japanese Normal

I suppose, i found mainly that fight with Virgil being a pain. Especially the first fight. I couldnt stop starting over, i was never ready for anything. Everytime i thought was, he'd do something new lol

Those puzzles were crazy too

I just want to say when I ask the difference, I`m not including gow 2018, the old gow is better than 2018 imo. Gow 2018 when for realism and coz of that they took out the ability to jump and added the stupid over-the-shoulder view which don`t work in a game where you`re using melee whill dmc5 when for the realistic approach (visually) but still kept the same gameplay as the previous titles. I would rather play dmc 5 over gow 2018 idk how good it did in my eyes they ruined the game.

On 2022-08-31 at 5:30 AM, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I just want to say when I ask the difference, I`m not including gow 2018, the old gow is better than 2018 imo. Gow 2018 when for realism and coz of that they took out the ability to jump and added the stupid over-the-shoulder view which don`t work in a game where you`re using melee whill dmc5 when for the realistic approach (visually) but still kept the same gameplay as the previous titles. I would rather play dmc 5 over gow 2018 idk how good it did in my eyes they ruined the game.

Ok so you have played God of War classic.

Imagine that game, but the primary focus of the game is stringing together flashy combos. 

Looking through God of War 3 footage now, there is a combo counter but it's pretty insubstantial, it resets after 1 second of inactivity. DMC's style combo counter gradually ticks down, it only goes up if you use different moves or switch weapons, and it determines how much money you get when an enemy dies. You need that money to buy more moves, both for getting better options against bosses and for stringing together longer combos. As for controls, there's a big focus on the lock-on button, with some moves you can only do while locked on, and some moves that can be done either way but are easier when not locked on. God of War's big "grab a stunned enemy" sequences are added in DMC4, but only for one character, Nero. Lastly there is a big focus on enemy juggling, with launcher moves and some weapons able to do midair combos; guns can keep enemies in the air if you shoot upward at them, but guns can also keep you in the air if you shoot them downward at other enemies

Archived