Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A few QoL tweaks for Oberon

Zyx21

As someone who has Oberon as my second most used frame, it was quite nice to hear him get mentioned on today's devstream. I'm looking forward to the buff for his armour strip and the buffs for other frames in general too. The discussion regarding gameplay disruption also caught my interest, and with that in mind I'd like to request a couple of tweaks to Oberon himself:

1) Energy drain from Shadows/Thralls: When Oberon has Renewal active, it has an energy drain over time. This drain is further increased if the ability is actively healing an ally with each individual ally that's being healed adding further to the drain. When Nekros uses Shadows of the Dead, every shadow counts as an ally and can be healed via Renewal. As the Shadows have a constant health drain, this results in a significant energy drain for Oberon. This also applies to a lesser extent to the Thralls created by Revenant's Enthrall. It would be great if there was a change to either make: 1) the energy drain  a fixed value when actively healing, rather than increasing based on the number of allied being healed or 2) the Shadows/Thralls not pick up Renewal's buff. I'd personally prefer the former as there could be synergy if Oberon could heal these allies.

2) Better visual indicators for Renewal: This is just QoL but I'd really appreciate anything that could be implemented to help this. There is virtually no indication where Renewal has been cast after the initial animation, which can make it a bit tough to direct teammates. This could be fixed by either 1) letting the AoE be permanently visible or 2) having an indicator present on the minimap. 

Looking forward to seeing how DE will further improve this game. I wish the team all the best.

I'd honestly suggest a few more QoL changes to Obby, since we're already here.

Smite now has the ability to instantly kill an enemy that was used to create the Smite orbs at 40% Health or below, creating double the amount of orbs. It's called Smite, so make it actually do that.

Hallowed Ground has the damage increase by 10% per second until the ability ends. Just to make the damage portion of this ability a bit more prominent while still keeping it in check, and making sure stacked HG's don't get out of hand.

Renewal now only has the initial drain per ally, losing the additional drain cost when having to heal an ally. Also, just have the drain per ally only consider Warframes in the cost so the drain doesn't get crazy again, the heal isn't very strong on allied units anyway so it really doesn't need to hurt Oberon so much as you've stated.

Reckoning now has the Armor removal start at 40%, so you still need a lot of Strength to get better strip, but you'll be able to fully strip in one cast. Reckoning should also probably get better scaling for consecutive casts so you can actually use the 50% Health Orb drop chance, so make Radiation procs increase the damage of your next Reckoning cast by 25% per proc. You give his Augment way more use and make Radiation have more of a purpose in his kit in general. 

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Graysmog said:

I'd honestly suggest a few more QoL changes to Obby, since we're already here.

Smite now has the ability to instantly kill an enemy that was used to create the Smite orbs at 40% Health or below, creating double the amount of orbs. It's called Smite, so make it actually do that.

Hallowed Ground has the damage increase by 10% per second until the ability ends. Just to make the damage portion of this ability a bit more prominent while still keeping it in check, and making sure stacked HG's don't get out of hand.

Renewal now only has the initial drain per ally, losing the additional drain cost when having to heal an ally. Also, just have the drain per ally only consider Warframes in the cost so the drain doesn't get crazy again, the heal isn't very strong on allied units anyway so it really doesn't need to hurt Oberon so much as you've stated.

Reckoning now has the Armor removal start at 40%, so you still need a lot of Strength to get better strip, but you'll be able to fully strip in one cast. Reckoning should also probably get better scaling for consecutive casts so you can actually use the 50% Health Orb drop chance, so make Radiation procs increase the damage of your next Reckoning cast by 25% per proc. You give his Augment way more use and make Radiation have more of a purpose in his kit in general. 

Thanks for adding further suggestions! I just listed out a couple of points that were hindrances more than anything else. You do have some very interesting points.

I personally would not touch smite in terms of changes as it already scales with enemy hp. I've used it to cheese bosses and depending on the enemy targeted, it can even one shot the surrounding trash mobs.

Your suggestion for Hallowed Ground sounds really interesting and would definitely help it stay more relevant damage wise at higher levels of content. Although I'm not sure whether DE would implement a change along those lines without adding a cap to how much bonus damage increase can be accumulated as I imagine it could get absurd with high duration builds and even more powerful with the Augment. Hallowed Ground is Oberon's best ability in my opinion with its utility coming in very handy in higher level content and it would definitely be great if it also had that extra oomph in terms of damage.

Reckoning's armour removal is indeed getting buffed, as per the recent Devstream. The one downside is that it's a significant energy cost, especially if you're not running enough strength to instantly strip 100% of armour. That and the fact that it has a weird interaction with armour in Steel Path missions. I am 100% onboard with your suggested changes to it! If implemented it would definitely tie in his whole kit together beautifully.

5 hours ago, Zyx21 said:

Thanks for adding further suggestions! I just listed out a couple of points that were hindrances more than anything else. You do have some very interesting points.

I personally would not touch smite in terms of changes as it already scales with enemy hp. I've used it to cheese bosses and depending on the enemy targeted, it can even one shot the surrounding trash mobs.

Your suggestion for Hallowed Ground sounds really interesting and would definitely help it stay more relevant damage wise at higher levels of content. Although I'm not sure whether DE would implement a change along those lines without adding a cap to how much bonus damage increase can be accumulated as I imagine it could get absurd with high duration builds and even more powerful with the Augment. Hallowed Ground is Oberon's best ability in my opinion with its utility coming in very handy in higher level content and it would definitely be great if it also had that extra oomph in terms of damage.

Reckoning's armour removal is indeed getting buffed, as per the recent Devstream. The one downside is that it's a significant energy cost, especially if you're not running enough strength to instantly strip 100% of armour. That and the fact that it has a weird interaction with armour in Steel Path missions. I am 100% onboard with your suggested changes to it! If implemented it would definitely tie in his whole kit together beautifully.

No worries.

The % damage is certainly strong on Smite, but it's biggest issue is how it struggles the more enemies there are in a room for to the orb targeting. Smite is fairly strong if you can pull off the hit and then immediately cast your 4 so enemies get nuked, if that's the trick you're referring to, but the combo is very time-sensitive. So, when you give it more orbs on a kill, you increase the consistency of the Radiation proc spread and buff the damage slightly in most scenarios since there are so many enemies. The orbs already have an inherently balanced system by splitting the damage between them, so more orbs can actually be detrimental. With less enemies, Smite is a better damage tool, so this is already inherently balanced. The 40% instant kill will realistically only apply to stragglers still alive from your abilities, and it will of course not apply to boss-like enemies. It's moreso a way to make sure your initial target is a guaranteed kill, as sometimes a cast can go off and not even hit the initial target at all, and obviously killing a single unit at a time instantly is not OP as we've seen with Garuda. I forgot to mention it, but when Smite doesn't kill the initial target, it would mark them akin to Nekros' 1 so the additional orbs go off at a later time in case they don't meet the threshold. Honestly, I moreso wanted this for the Puncture proc the orbs create on hit to have a higher chance to occur.

For HG, the base damage starts at 100. It's base Duration is 20 seconds, or a 200% buff, making it 200 damage. This buff can exponentially increase, but even at max damage it'll only be a massive increase for a few seconds, and it's limited to damage every second. Stacking multiple HG's can also deal some good damage, but that's a massive cost and the damage would take quite a while to register. The Augment is fairly balanced already since it doesn't let you put down multiple HG's, meaning you get the initial burst damage quicker but your potential damage is reduced. This change is honestly made to buff the Augment more than anything else, so if you do build a ton of Duration, Oberon gains his own nuke ability outside of his 4. In practice, you need a TON of Power and Duration to really make this setup strong, and quite frankly HG's base damage isn't enough to make this scaling get crazy. If it does become a problem though, I would add a cap at about double the Duration of Hallowed Ground, or a 400% increase.

From the Devstream it sounded more like Pablo just wanted other abilities to universally strip Armor like Reckoning does, as in a flat % removal of enemy Armor in total across the board that stacks with other instances, instead of a % of their remaining Armor so it never fully strips. Though if that's true I'd really love to be able to fully strip Armor as Obby in a single cast.

Archived