Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Styanax marketing impression doesn't really match Styanax gameplay shown

NarikoKuroame

On 2022-08-27 at 5:54 AM, NarikoKuroame said:

I've probably been playing longer than you. Not once ever, has a trailer they released been so wildly different

Hmm lets see I actually have Excal Prime On my old long abandoned PC account (have unrealisitc dream that De would let us merge accounts when cross save becomes real.  as would like to use the good ole boy occasionally again, or atleast throw the prime skin on Umbra who is undoubtedly much better built now as hes likely way out of order on build now. )  yeah i know likely will never happen but let me dream.

Anyway back on topic I see every bit of the trailer as matching in essence Pablo already said there was some slight diffference as the anime took time to produce so likely was based off an Older build of him rather than what ended up being the final.  every bit of whats in trailer was or has potential to be there if just a lightly different form ie the exaulted spear throw has been the energy spear volley now.  its still there but now multiple instead of 1

At the marketing about Styanax we see him: stopping attacks with the shield, walking all day long with spear + shield, throwing his spear and summons rings of spears from the sky that falls at the same time at the enemy doing a big attack.

At the gameplay about Styanax we see him: throwing spears, using regular weapons, the shield is just a casting FX for a single ability, throwing more spears in a fan pattern, making several clones of himself at the air that throw another spear... one at a time.

No permanent spear, no permanent shield, no blocking attacks, no big rings of death from sky.... its... very different.

He throws spears as he could throw fireballs or an aquacannon, its just a FX animation for an ability that has a blink duration. Same for the shield. Instead of hoplite style, Styanax could be perfectly Zeus and shot lightnings.

Even Volt will be more hoplite since at least he can cast an actual shield and he can use it at the same time as he moves and attacks.

1 hour ago, Gaxxian said:

At the marketing about Styanax we see him: stopping attacks with the shield, walking all day long with spear + shield, throwing his spear and summons rings of spears from the sky that falls at the same time at the enemy doing a big attack.

At the gameplay about Styanax we see him: throwing spears, using regular weapons, the shield is just a casting FX for a single ability, throwing more spears in a fan pattern, making several clones of himself at the air that throw another spear... one at a time.

No permanent spear, no permanent shield, no blocking attacks, no big rings of death from sky.... its... very different.

He throws spears as he could throw fireballs or an aquacannon, its just a FX animation for an ability that has a blink duration. Same for the shield. Instead of hoplite style, Styanax could be perfectly Zeus and shot lightnings.

Even Volt will be more hoplite since at least he can cast an actual shield and he can use it at the same time as he moves and attacks.

pablo said later they didnt showcase his weapons during stream by mistake so kinda implies more than just the spear gun

Yes , styanax on the sneak peak looked like a mix of gauss-valkyr-excal , then again , apparently the animated trailer was developed parallel to the ingame stuff.

Im a bit dissapointed in the 4th ability ngl , you are a sitting duck and you dont seem to have any resistances while hovering so that might be his subsume slot sadly. It looks cool tho.

5 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

So it's a bit confusing since in the past this kind of material actually represnted something you can do in game.

So you're saying that two, just two aspects of this trailer, namely the anime-style movement, and the shield being there full time for blocking attacks, are not present in the finished product, so OP can say it's completely false representation?

That they can, based on these two things, say it's a bad marketing thing?

When all the other aspects of the frame are present, and actually fairly well represented?

If you honestly agree with that, fine. I won't stop you, but I will believe that you're the kind of person that's the base reason trailers so often have a 'not in-game footage' warning on them. See also; my opinion of the people that are responsible for the 'do not eat' warning on silica gel packets.

hace 45 minutos, Birdframe_Prime dijo:

So you're saying that two, just two aspects of this trailer, namely the anime-style movement, and the shield being there full time for blocking attacks, are not present in the finished product, so OP can say it's completely false representation?

When all the other aspects of the frame are present, and actually fairly well represented?

If you honestly agree with that, fine. I won't stop you, but I will believe that you're the kind of person that's the base reason trailers so often have a 'not in-game footage' warning on them. See also; my opinion of the people that are responsible for the 'do not eat' warning on silica gel packets.

Its more like the ONLY thing at the trailer thats actually in-game its the spear throwing.

Independently of any exageration at the speed, damage, resistance or aoes, there is not a single other thing at the trailer that its shown at any place at the gameplay.

51 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

You know very well I did not say that and I'm not going to further waste my time trying to explain what I've already clearly stated. No need to lash out like that neither.

[Konzu voice] Picky picky 🙄

On 2022-08-27 at 11:30 AM, NarikoKuroame said:

Firstly before you try to "ackshually" me I'm aware trailers and artwork don't = how they are in gameplay. However all previous frames trailers, even if they had some exaggerated elements still depicted the frame as how it actually PLAYS in game. Styanax's trailer vs is gameplay is almost showing off two ENTIRELY different frames. Its shocking.

So you know and understand very well that animated/trailers in the gaming world aren't always 100% accurate or are elaborated, but then choose to go off anyway... ok.

I completely disagree with you about him being an entirely different frame. What we saw during his ability showcase wasn't much different at all to the animation. We even saw in the animated that his shield isn't always there lol.

We saw him:

1) Throw spears

2) Use a shield/the shield not always be there

3) Bolster himself with his 3

4) Use his ultimate

I fail to see how you're seeing an entirely different Warframe. You're acting as if they did an animated of Yareli and tried to pass her off as Styanax. As for other frame trailers? None were animated. When one animates for entertainment, as you already know, they tend to elaborate a little to make things 'look cool'. Still, they kept it close to how he functions. Really don't get how you're seeing an entirely different frame, unless you're glued to the vision in your own head that you created based on assumptions.

Everything else (as I've seen in other threads) was down to player assumption or misinformation spread by Youtubers stirring up hype for clicks, despite having zero info on the frame. Next time, don't assume.

1 hour ago, Gaxxian said:

Its more like the ONLY thing at the trailer thats actually in-game its the spear throwing.

Styanax throws a spear, he slams his shield, he buffs the entire mass of kids in the Leviathan to help him, and he uses the spear barrage. Literally his 4 abilities.

What part of that, apart from OP's complaints about the movement and the fact that his shield isn't actually equipped the entire time in game is not in his kit?

Based on previous experience with the game, I had a strong feeling that Styanax was not going to match the fantasy OP is describing. Warframes' designs need to fit the game they're in, in that their abilities must:

• be swift and fluid
  • interact with (and not disrupt) the player's basic interfacing, which in Warframe's case means using the ranged and melee weapons in the loadout slots

Having an ability be an actively-used shield affixed to the arm doesn't work for Warframe, as it messes with the player character's animations for using weapons. It's why shield-style abilities float around the character, as with Volt and Garuda. And sometimes concept, especially concept that meshes much closer with a fantasy game, doesn't translate into much beyond concept when coming into a sci-fi game like this one. Take Hildryn for example, whose concept is a Viking Shieldmaiden.

I figured that at best, we'd get a Sword and Shield weapon where the sword looked like a spear. Maaaybe a new Spear and Shield weapon with new animations and a new Stance mod, but we just got a new melee in Angels of the Zariman.

In an extreme case, maybe they could've used the material they used to make the Teshin gameplay happen, but very little of that would actually work in the general gameplay of Warframe for reasons I mentioned above.

Archived