Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Styanax is the best thing that will ever happen to Valkyr

Jarriaga

Thank you DE for giving Valkyr a thematically-appropriate shield-bash skill that happens to be a low casting cost, full 100% armor strip for the average Valkyr Build if it scales with strength that doesn't sacrifice an augment slot and has range for a melee-focused frame <3

Yes, I'm still salty she still has Ripline as an ability in 2022 despite ALL Warframes canonically having access to Ripline as per the Jackal fight but Valkyr being the only one wasting an actual ability slot for it.

Still, better than nothing.

8 minutes ago, jesusdh said:

Don't you DARE touch my Ripline.

Why not? All WF's are supposed to have it, so they can give it to Helmith and re-work it into a global mechanic while Valkyr gets something useful for most missions.

Bonus if it's given to Helmith so you can willingly gimp other WF you may like but would like to make them worse by trading other abilities for Ripline. 

14 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Why not? All WF's are supposed to have it, so they can give it to Helmith and re-work it into a global mechanic while Valkyr gets something useful for most missions.

Bonus if it's given to Helmith so you can willingly gimp other WF you may like but would like to make them worse by trading other abilities for Ripline. 

If you're saying it's useless, why would everyone use it on their frames? 

And Valkyr already has 2 ridiculously OP abilities, one already on the helminth. 

The ripline is actually fun to use. 

Not everything has to be an AOE armor strip one button kill.

10 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

If you're saying it's useless, why would everyone use it on their frames? 

The main point of defense for Ripline is how "fun" it is to use. Those people should absolutely have no issues giving Ripline to other frames via Helminth while Valkyr moves on from having 2 open ability slots to just 1.

Usefulness for general gameplay in most missions >>> Spider-man memes in Europa.

And Valkyr already has 2 ridiculously OP abilities, one already on the helminth. 

2 good abilities don't make up for 2 slots that might as well be empty. You are supposed to have 4 abilities.

The ripline is actually fun to use. 

And thus we've come full-circle.

Not everything has to be an AOE armor strip one button kill.

Agreed. But at the same time not everything has to be fun at the explicit expense of usefulness and relevancy. There's a middle-ground somewhere and Ripline is not it. Less so considering every Warframe is supposed to have it, not just Valkyr. If "fun" is the argument then there's no reason to restrict "fun" to just her if the in-game universe already indicates Excalibur and Gauss should have "fun" wiith Ripline as well.

Win-win.

13 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

The main point of defense for Ripline is how "fun" it is to use. Those people should absolutely have no issues giving Ripline to other frames via Helminth while Valkyr moves on from having 2 open ability slots to just 1.

Usefulness for general gameplay in most missions >>> Spider-man memes in Europa.

2 good abilities don't make up for 2 slots that might as well be empty. You are supposed to have 4 abilities.

And thus we've come full-circle.

Agreed. But at the same time not everything has to be fun at the explicit expense of usefulness and relevancy. There's a middle-ground somewhere and Ripline is not it. Less so considering every Warframe is supposed to have it, not just Valkyr. If "fun" is the argument then there's no reason to restrict "fun" to just her if the in-game universe already indicates Excalibur and Gauss should have "fun" wiith Ripline as well.

Win-win.

Wouldn't it be easier to just helminth her ripline out since you specifically don't like it? 

Out of 50+ Helminth abilities there's nothing you'd replace ripline with? 

You're banking on DE just making some super amazing ability, which most likely isn't gonna live up to your standards, and will probably take a year to implement?

50 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just helminth her ripline out since you specifically don't like it? 

I already do! That doesn't allow for Excalibur and Gauss to have "fun" with Ripline as the in-game universe indicates they should though. Ripline needs to be reworked into a global in-game mechanic in some way, shape, or form and Valkyr given anything else that is more useful for general mission progression and gameplay.

Out of 50+ Helminth abilities there's nothing you'd replace ripline with? 

I already do! But that still means Valkyr is left with 1 open ability slot. She has 2 open slots, not 1. WF's with good ability design only need for 1 ability to be replaced to compliment them, while great WF's make you feel like any ability you replace is a trade-off or a compromise rather than a straight-up buff. Most WF's from 2017 onward are in the good or great ability design category. Valkyr sits squarely in the 2013 design camp by having 2 open slots alongside Hydroid. You can feel her design is nearly 10 years old.

You're banking on DE just making some super amazing ability, which most likely isn't gonna live up to your standards, and will probably take a year to implement?

Not at all! The bar to jump over is Ripline. The standards to jump over are almost underground-bunker level when the barometer is "useful for general gameplay". And heck you can actually make builds around Prolonged Paralysis if it comes down to it. Even a worm should be able to jump over such a low bar.

36 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Ripline needs to be reworked into a global in-game mechanic in some way, shape, or form and Valkyr given anything else that is more useful for general mission progression and gameplay.

I don't imagine that we'd get it as an innate mechanic, but it'd be fun to have a gun- maybe a secondary of some sort- that worked as Ripline does.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Ampathetiic said:

I don't imagine that we'd get it as an innate mechanic, but it'd be fun to have a gun- maybe a secondary of some sort- that worked as Ripline does.

It can also be added to Helminth!

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

The pull change is what I wanted Ripline to get, now it's just better to get rid of it completely and give it to helminth for people that enjoy it. Would be nice to get paralysis changed too.

I'm hopeful Pablo will realize just how much of a time capsule Valkyr is when he tries to update her augments with Duviri or next year's batch.

3 hours ago, jesusdh said:

Agreed.
Tweaks? Yes.
Replace it? Absolutely f@#$% no. Her 3 can go, tho.

Completely agree.  There are aspects of Ripline that should be updated or changed.  The enemy pull is decidedly lackluster.  But I don't want it to be replaced outright.

Hmm.  I wonder if the changes to Mag's Pull might herald future changes to Ripline's pull functionality...

7 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

Yes, I'm still salty she still has Ripline as an ability in 2022 despite ALL Warframes canonically having access to Ripline as per the Jackal fight

I know, right?  Why does Valk get to have all the fun?  

Helminth Rip Line, when??  I can't wait to replace Razorwing with it.

8 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

5 hours ago, ReverseKinetix said:

Counter-point, somehow make ripline work as a passive so Valkyr can have actual good abilities added to her kit instead?

Yes to both! 

After reading some forum posts about how to play Valkyr, that being in my opinion playing her more like a Berserker/ Skirmisher >Tank  I found her to be a lot more fun n, actually fell in love with Ripline (so good in Zariman)  the only thing I really want it to have is weakness like Nezha and the ability to hold the Ripline ability to ride the full length of it.

Also if every frame is supposed to have Ripline (parazon)  like in the Jackel fight (which was a transition scene for that fight, that's all ) then tell me what button does my Mesa, Nezha, Hydroid press to activate this in regular game play?¿?  🤔

22 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Ripline would have made more sense for a Helminth ability from Valkyr.  Warcry is sometimes called Valkyr's only reason for existing.  I disagree with that sentiment, but the fact remains that she has a reputation as a melee buff bot and little else.

And Ripline for Helminth would have given us a mobility power to subsume, which is very rare from the Helminth.  But I'm biased.  I really wanted Ripline on Ivara.

Archived