Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It'd be nice if deploying the Archgun didn't make you and your companion sitting ducks to be shot at by enemies.

Eljdar

I've been doing the Profit-Taker fight with a non-tank frame recently and it stood out to me how frustrating that animation lock is when you're not literally invincible. Generally speaking, I think the fight is fine with a squishy frame, as long as you stay on the move and never stop, but the Archgun deployment more or less forces you to eat damage, and is where I found most of my deaths to occur.

It also applies to most companions, since they just get Thanos snapped the moment you stop moving. Particularly egregious with Sentinels, since you can't revive them without workaround mods.

The two relatively simple solutions that should alleviate a lot of the frustration is either making you and the companion invincible for the duration of deployment, or make it so it doesn't restrict your movement in the first place. Personally, I'm more fond of the latter solution.

And while I'm at it, it would a nice QoL change if companions didn't get targeted when you're in the Operator mode. More often than not, taking those 2-3 seconds to swap Profit-Taker's vulnerability is enough to either heavily damage or kill your companion.

3 minutes ago, Eljdar said:

I've been doing the Profit-Taker fight with a non-tank frame recently and it stood out to me how frustrating that animation lock is when you're not literally invincible. Generally speaking, I think the fight is fine with a squishy frame, as long as you stay on the move and never stop, but the Archgun deployment more or less forces you to eat damage, and is where I found most of my deaths to occur.

It also applies to most companions, since they just get Thanos snapped the moment you stop moving. Particularly egregious with Sentinels, since you can't revive them without workaround mods.

The two relatively simple solutions that should alleviate a lot of the frustration is either making you and the companion invincible for the duration of deployment, or make it so it doesn't restrict your movement in the first place. Personally, I'm more fond of the latter solution.

And while I'm at it, it would a nice QoL change if companions didn't get targeted when you're in the Operator mode. More often than not, taking those 2-3 seconds to swap Profit-Taker's vulnerability is enough to either heavily damage or kill your companion.

Part of the strategy here is not deploying the arch-gun in a situation that will get you killed. Also, you may think the fight is fine with a squishy frame but if you're getting killed when trying to deploy archgun then maybe your squishy frame idea isn't the best solution.

There's a reason many players would use Chroma/Inaros for this back in the day.

Option 1: put the deployer in a hotkeyable gear slot and do a slide before calling it in. the animation will play as you slide along, so you're not entirely a sitting duck (longer you can keep the slide the better).

Option 2: get a necramech and slap the arch gun to that and call it in (waypoint the mech if need be it can get hectic) and just trnasfer to it and back when needed.

13 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

Option 1: put the deployer in a hotkeyable gear slot and do a slide before calling it in. the animation will play as you slide along, so you're not entirely a sitting duck (longer you can keep the slide the better).

Option 2: get a necramech and slap the arch gun to that and call it in (waypoint the mech if need be it can get hectic) and just trnasfer to it and back when needed.

Huh, that's quite interesting, didn't know you can do that. I'll be sure to try it at some point.

And yeah, I do sometimes use the Necramech in the PT fight, but more often than not I prefer to do the "intended" way, as it were. But I guess the intended way involves getting shot at while you're whipping out the big guns, lol. Hopefully DE will do something about it at some point - it would certainly make the experience a bit more forgiving to non-tank frames.

11 hours ago, Eljdar said:

I have made a post about archgun changes and will add this issue there if you dont mind.

*Edit - i completely forgot about this issue and ive added it to my post if you dont mind.

18 minutes ago, Sevenus. said:

I have made a post about archgun changes and will add this issue there if you dont mind.

*Edit - i completely forgot about this issue and ive added it to my post if you dont mind.

Sure, hopefully it'll help bring this to DE's attention.

7 hours ago, Eljdar said:

Sure, hopefully it'll help bring this to DE's attention.

What exactly do you hope to bring to DE's attention? It isn't exactly wise to rush into a crowd of hostiles before readying your weapon.

Profit taker even has special nodes it deploys away from the horde of enemies where you are able to pull the gun if you need... or just hop behind cover or fly 1 second away with your archwing...

I dunno man... I would put money on DE thinking this is not a real issue and is instead a case of carelessness being wrapped in the guise of mechanical problems. Play smart, live long, win game. Don't make game easier because you aren't planning a strategy that makes sense give. The load out and mission limitations. 

You don't go into a spy mission surprised that lasers set off alarms then blame the game for not letting you dash through because you feel like rhino is a better choice than a frame with laser bypass built in.

2 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Profit taker even has special nodes it deploys away from the horde of enemies where you are able to pull the gun if you need... or just hop behind cover or fly 1 second away with your archwing...

Fair enough, though in my experience, half the time you find a somewhat safe spot to pull it out, the enemies still find a way to shoot you. Dunno, I guess I'm just not flying away far enough, but that seems like an unnecessary workaround to me when the Archgun deployment could just not root you in place and interrupt your movement, something Warframe should do as little of as possible, imo, given how prolific mobility is in game. It would be a nice quality of life, without giving you any outright power.

Honestly, I don't see why people would be against this, unless they're just opposed to having any anti-frustration features on principle.

2 minutes ago, Eljdar said:

Fair enough, though in my experience, half the time you find a somewhat safe spot to pull it out, the enemies still find a way to shoot you. Dunno, I guess I'm just not flying away far enough, but that seems like an unnecessary workaround to me when the Archgun deployment could just not root you in place and interrupt your movement, something Warframe should do as little of as possible, imo, given how prolific mobility is in game. It would be a nice quality of life, without giving you any outright power.

Honestly, I don't see why people would be against this, unless they're just opposed to having any anti-frustration features on principle.

I can't speak for anyone else but I am against this because it is asinine. It is really not difficult to plan for this sort of thing. The "I think the fight is fine with a squishy frame" kind of mentality should not be rewarded. This fight encourages tanky frames. Going in there unable to survive, then being surprised/disappointed when you die trying to pull out your archgun in an inappropriate time/location is on you. The poor loadout choice is on you, as is pulling out the weapon in the wrong place/time. 

If you want to do it with a squishy frame, tag along with some people who can help tow the line.

Being punished for not preparing for the content is a fair tradeoff IMO.

53 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I am against this because it is asinine. It is really not difficult to plan for this sort of thing. The "I think the fight is fine with a squishy frame" kind of mentality should not be rewarded. This fight encourages tanky frames. Going in there unable to survive, then being surprised/disappointed when you die trying to pull out your archgun in an inappropriate time/location is on you. The poor loadout choice is on you, as is pulling out the weapon in the wrong place/time. 

If you want to do it with a squishy frame, tag along with some people who can help tow the line.

Being punished for not preparing for the content is a fair tradeoff IMO.

So, in your opinion, that content should only be accessible to a small number of frames, despite the fact that DE try to have their game design be inclusive to as many playstyles as possible and not pigeonhole you into having only a small subset to choose from?

I guess we're done here, then.

Have a nice day.

14 minutes ago, Eljdar said:

So, in your opinion, that content should only be accessible to a small number of frames, despite the fact that DE try to have their game design be inclusive to as many playstyles as possible and not pigeonhole you into having only a small subset to choose from?

I guess we're done here, then.

Have a nice day.

Lots of frames can become tanky, but yeah that's how it works. Some frames do better in certain content than other frames. That's why there are different frames. Taking squishy frames, that don't really have much to offer against a boss like Profit Taker, is asinine. You're free to have your own fun, but don't expect the devs to cater to poor planning.

Archived