PSA: PC Minimum Supported Specs Changes Coming in 2023

[DE]Danielle

6 hours ago, Sannidor said:

This will mean end of Warframe journey for thousands of players.

But of course DE is aware of that.

What's next, game not working on Windows7 ?

Please reconsider, this is a bad move.

And what did you expect ? That Warframe will be supporting 15 years old hardware forever ? Dont be a fool, must be hell in optimalization and is pretty logical they want to keep with modern technology to stay revelant 

• Like 9

Huh. Well, it was nice playing. Much as I like Warframe, it's the only application on my computer - game or otherwise - that calls for an upgrade. The original HDD actually failed first...

Not complaining, just wistful. I know times gotta change and it's for the better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sannidor said:

Pentium III from 1999 supports SSE and so does AMD Athlon XP from 2001. 

Taken from: https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200182230-What-are-the-minimum-specs-for-Warframe-

The minimum specs for Warframe are:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz dual core CPU)

You are already covered if you have a system with those processors indicated in the minimum specs article DE has given, as they are generation(s) older than those AMD and Intel cpus SSE was first introduced in.

EDIT:

DE wants at least SSE3? Then it is a bit tougher one to crack, requiring AMD bulldozer / Intel core2 CPU.

Edited by Renzo
  • Like 6

While I don't personally have an issue with my pc's I'm not sure 'now' is the best time to be suggesting people buy a new pc (even though I agree that a 10 year old pc should be upgraded by now)..... most countries are going through huge inflation surges (along with component price hikes/shortages) and people just don't have the disposable income they normally do, not to mention if they're already on an older pc they might not have the funds to start with....

But then I suppose from the business side of things, people with low end/older hardware are probably seen as less likely to spend money on the game....

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Renzo said:

Pentium III from 1999 supports SSE and so does AMD Athlon XP from 2001. 

As per OP, new specs are calling for new SSE versions. Seems like SSE3 at minimum. Unless <SSE3 can work, even if suboptimally, it does look like an end-road.

I'm not super well-versed in CPU architecture so reassurances are welcome.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

As per OP, new specs are calling for new SSE versions. Seems like SSE3 at minimum. Unless <SSE3 can work, even if suboptimally, it does look like an end-road.

I'm not super well-versed in CPU architecture so reassurances are welcome.

Yeah I actually noticed this after I posted my reply.

EDIT:

SSSE3 is it now? In that case one would need an AMD bulldozer from 2011 or an Intel Core2 cpu from 2006.

Edited by Renzo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Renzo said:

Well it doesn't change too much to be honest. One needs AMD Athlon64 (2003) or Pentium4 "prescott" (2004) to be able to support at least SSE3.

It is also possible I'm reading wrong, that they need SSE4.2 as the new minimum, and the SSE3 is the old minimum. Or something of that sort. They mention 2008 and 2011 as when they first came out in CPUs. That doesn't jive with what you list as SSE3 releases, so I feel like it must be something newer than SSE3...

That and I'm getting the warning for a 2010 CPU (AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1065T). So if it was just SSE3, I ought to be fine, but the game says no. :( 

2 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

It is also possible I'm reading wrong, that they need SSE4.2 as the new minimum, and the SSE3 is the old minimum. Or something of that sort. They mention 2008 and 2011 as when they first came out in CPUs. That doesn't jive with what you list as SSE3 releases, so I feel like it must be something newer than SSE3...

That and I'm getting the warning for a 2010 CPU (AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1065T). So if it was just SSE3, I ought to be fine, but the game says no. :( 

Looks like I didn't really read what was written in the OP. Danielle's post says:

These are CPU-instructions that were first added to processors like the Intel i7 860 (Nehalem microarchitecture released in 2008) or the AMD FX-4170 (Bulldozer microarchitecture released 2011). As you can see, even computers that are a decade old support these features so you probably have nothing to worry about! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

As you can see, even computers that are a decade old support these features so you probably have nothing to worry about! 

i play on laptop with  i3-2330M CPU , its very old but i just googled it and yah it does support what you just said so am sure everyone will be fine. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

im on the same boat... wich is a bummer since the phenom ll x6 1055T have SSE4A (checked on cpuZ) wich makes me question whats the difference between the 4A and 4.1 and 4.2 that they didnt squeezed this one in it...

7 hours ago, Sannidor said:

But of course DE is aware of that.

What's next, game not working on Windows7 ?

Everything needs to evolve, if you really love the game, you wouldn't be against it.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Myscho said:

And Warframe is barelly playable on Core 2 Duo, i have tried that, not fun, CPU was on fire when i enter into open spaces like Orb Vallis

idk, loading in is a bit slow, but once that's done it works just fine for me - as long as I'm solo.

• Like 2

Holy hell, this is incredible! 🤣 I can't believe you weren't already using SSE4 as a baseline! To say nothing of SSSE3, which predates the Evolution Engine itself!

Honestly at this point in time if you're going to bother to change your target, I really think you should be moving up to at least AVX. AVX can offer a huge performance benefit on the PS4 and Xbox One if your application can make use of it; I'm sure you're probably using it there already? AVX is supported on processors all the way back to Sandy Bridge (2nd-gen Core family) and Bulldozer (AMD FX series); surely chips older than this barely run the game as it is. 

Looking through the thread, I guess some of you are still playing on machines that are more than a decade old. You know, kudos to you, I suppose, for keeping your old PCs in service and out of the landfills, but damn, y'all. You could have bought a new bad-ass gaming PC with the extra money you've spent on power keeping those old inefficient systems running all these years! 😆

• Like 4

Could you DE at least fix the Notice so a person can get in Game as it just keeps repeating itself, over and over.

And not much I can do about my CPU not handling SSE.4, I understand and will miss the game. And all my friends That Play the Game.

I have been on the game since 2014 so yeah. And a new system is just out of the question in the near or foreseeable future. Being disabled has it's limits to.... financially.  Though I do understand why though. And yes I'm and Old gamer so Keeping the old Box going can be a Challenge at times. Though it is a quad core.

I don't and can't play console so that is out also, and never liked Consoles, though back in the 90's I did play on a few of them. Not possible with my Hands now.

Thanks for letting us know, just please fix the repetitive notice when you start the game. It blocks you from getting in the game.

Edited by xDirty_Birdx
  • Like 8

So, for you guys who are saying "I love the game, but I can't afford a new PC," allow me to present you a new option that will be available in 2023: a gaming PC using integrated graphics.  

Now, now, hear me out—after all, the Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck are fundamentally the same thing. A desktop version can have the latest technology with much higher power limits, which means you get better performance than you could ever get out of a handheld or portable machine.  

Early next year, AMD will be releasing new processors with its latest Zen 4 CPU architecture and RDNA 3 graphics architecture. The codename for these processors is "Phoenix Point". Using fast DDR5 memory, they'll be able to easily handle games like Warframe in 1080p with maxed-out detail settings at high frame rates.

(Actually, AMD's current-generation CPUs with graphics, like the $150 Ryzen 5 5600G, can already run the game in 1080p with high details at 60 FPS, but the next-generation parts should really be able to push games like this with no problem due to faster CPU cores, more efficient GPU cores, and much faster memory.)

I can't promise you anything, but we're talking about a whole brand-new PC with an SSD and everything in a box smaller than a PlayStation 5 for not a lot more money; probably about $600-$700 USD. Sure, that's expensive for a games machine, but of course, it's not just a games machine; you can do anything on it that you could do on any other PC, as well. If you're disabled, on a fixed income, saddled with student loan debt, underage, whatever your situation is; start putting away $50-100 a month right now for a new PC, and early next year you'll be able to get set up with a brand-new machine that can play Warframe, Tower of Fantasy, Lost Ark, whatever you want to play. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a solid gaming PC anymore.

I do computer consulting for a living, but for my fellow Tenno, I'll be happy to help you get set up with a new machine on a tight budget at no cost (for my services, you still need to buy the parts, lol.) It's something I specialize in, as I do work with a lot of people, especially young people, who want a gaming PC but don't have a lot of disposable income. Just send me a DM here on the forums and we can chat about it, OK? ('ω')b

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Sannidor said:

That's wrong on so many levels, I won't even try to disarm this smug bomb. Yikes!

Is it wrong to want the game to evolve graphically and become something grander? I didn't know that, presumptuous for me is to want something to be stuck in the past so that it meets my interests.

• Like 4

Thank you very much. I live in Ukraine. And you just offer me an upgrade. Especially in the absence of the opportunity to buy new parts for the PC. Thank you... (this is sarcasm). If you don't understand.

Спасибо вам большое. Я живу на Украине. И вы как раз, предлагаете мне апгрейд. Особенно при отсутствии возможности купить новые детали для ПК. Спасибо вам... ( это сарказм). Если вы не поняли.

• Like 3

As always, people crying "But I can't afford to buy a new PC!". You wouldn't even need to get a new one, you'd just need to upgrade from a 'very old' PC to a merely 'old' one. Like the poster above me showing a price for an I9 12900K system with a 3080. That's a top of the line current system.

Just be on the lookout for something used in the next 4-8 months that's 5-6 years old and not as old as what you've currently got.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Meanwhile, people are taking out loans to pay for groceries.

Nice timing, DE. I'm sure everyone on an old PC is able to buy a new one these days.

Again, these instruction sets are for things over ten years old already, eventually a game has to outgrow its system requirements and upgrade.

For a game approaching ten years old, I'm surprised it has been this accomodating as is. New instruction sets (which enables a whole lot of optimization) would make the experience so much better for the vast majority of current players, and unfortunately really one day your old pc has to expire, as everything else does. I understand that having played the game for far longer than I did, you hold a special sentiment for it, and being left behind by it while being in a financially unstable situation feels horrible; however, in the back of mind you probably understands that eventually this would happen and warframe would outgrow your specs (as any living, evolving game would). No matter how I sugar coat it (and I've sugar coated it a lot), the final line is that games move on with their time, and the time is that supporting hardware older than a very old game is eventually not worth it anymore.

43 minutes ago, Tr0llf3sT said:
  •  llores por mi Argentina :'( 😢

6ktnYFl.pngNo

I'm not the only one that thinks this spec is way, way, way overkill right? You posting this PC with the best specs in the world (and showing the absolute beast of a price tag) illustrates nothing.

Also, this is why they posted a year ahead, so you have opportunity to upgrade if you can.

I'm all for at least letting people play the game before the update rolls out though, but please people understand that once the update rolls out, it's literally impossible for you to play the game, launcher warning or not, because it'd use optimizations and effects that your CPU doesn't understand.

• Like 3