PSA: PC Minimum Supported Specs Changes Coming in 2023

[DE]Danielle

Phew, you had me a bit concerned when first reading it sounded so high tech all those numbers, then I looked at mine all good.

CPU Properties    
CPU Type    QuadCore Intel Core i5-3570K, 4200 MHz (42 x 100)
CPU Alias    Ivy Bridge-DT
CPU Stepping    E1/L1/N0/P0
Instruction Set    x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AES

Yes please take a long time to wind it back on Windows 7, can't afford to upgrade just yet.

Operating System Properties    
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Language    English (United States)
OS Installer Language    English (United States)
OS Kernel Type    Multiprocessor Free (64-bit)
OS Version    6.1.7601.24384 (Win7 RTM)
OS Service Pack    Service Pack 1
OS Installation Date    30/10/2013

Yes I'm lazy ^ I figure why reinstall when it works fine with no problems.

2 hours ago, Yorglaf said:

Thanks for flushing 9 years of me playing this game down the drain.

So i did a pricecheck.

• i5-4590 ~ 30€
  • Socket 1150 mainboard ~35€
  • 1x 8GB DDR3 Ram ~35€ (add second stick when able to afford)
  • Reuse the rest of your current PC - 0€

Supports SSE 4.2

These are 2nd hand ebay prices which get you a 8year old system which will run warframe with its new requirements.
Basically if you are able to save up 10€/month until the update somewhere 2023 releases you will have more than enough money to upgrade to something that works. I really don't get the complains here. 

Edited by UmbraAtrox
typo
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Scheff said:

oof thats not nice... 
price hiking still going on where i live, older motherboards (am3+ and such) just vanished (thanks cryptominers)
still trying to upgrade my motherboard.

there is definetly no funds remaining to upgrade my phenom II x6... cant we squeeze some sse4A in there?

very big oof.

Luckily the cryptobros have all gone bankrupt, mining is no longer profitable and prices are dropping a lot

2 hours ago, Yorglaf said:

Thanks for flushing 9 years of me playing this game down the drain.

Everyone demands crossplay but then don't want to face the inconveniences that this entails, ironic

4 hours ago, Radamantis2016 said:

Well, I use an Athlon X4 640, now the warning appears, if I can no longer run the game, then that's where the fun ended. The interesting thing is that the game is going well for me with that processor, 4gb of ram and the graphics card that is a 4gb rx550.

It's not for current performance issues, it's to add more features in the future and be able to add crossplay successfully 

8 hours ago, Tr0llf3sT said:
  •  llores por mi Argentina :'( 😢

6ktnYFl.pngNo

You don't need a new whole PC lol, you can upgrade your processor very cheaply

9 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Meanwhile, people are taking out loans to pay for groceries.

Nice timing, DE. I'm sure everyone on an old PC is able to buy a new one these days.

How dramatic, you can buy an i5-4590 for 30€

11 hours ago, rainy said:

Wow, I'm cutting it close on an AMD FX-8350! I am happy you still support Windows 7 as well. The only games I've played that truly have issues with it are ones that use Win10 gimmicks like Cortana or games that explicity check for the OS version.

Are there games that use Cortana? Why

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rainy said:

Wow, I'm cutting it close on an AMD FX-8350! I am happy you still support Windows 7 as well. The only games I've played that truly have issues with it are ones that use Win10 gimmicks like Cortana or games that explicity check for the OS version.

or any that are exclusively built on Dx12, or may rely on features introduced in Dx11.1 - Dx11.4, as Win7 only supports the feature set established in Dx11.0.
as well as some other things, but that's everything relating to Direct3D specifically.

10 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

It is also possible I'm reading wrong, that they need SSE4.2 as the new minimum, and the SSE3 is the old minimum. Or something of that sort. They mention 2008 and 2011 as when they first came out in CPUs. That doesn't jive with what you list as SSE3 releases, so I feel like it must be something newer than SSE3...

That and I'm getting the warning for a 2010 CPU (AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1065T). So if it was just SSE3, I ought to be fine, but the game says no. :( 

"require the following CPU features: SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2*.
*Your CPU must support SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2. "

yes, this is saying and. all of these Instruction sets must be supported, not just any.

10 hours ago, Scheff said:

im on the same boat... wich is a bummer since the phenom ll x6 1055T have SSE4A (checked on cpuZ) wich makes me question whats the difference between the 4A and 4.1 and 4.2 that they didnt squeezed this one in it...

SSE4A is a unique Instruction Set created by AMD, that particular one did not gain traction and is Hardware specific, versus SSE4.1 and SSE4.2, which all Hardware came to support in time.
SSE4A also introduced 4 new Instructions, while SSE4.1 introduced 47 Instructions, and SSE4.2 introduced another 7 Instructions.

they may sound very close to each other, but i'm afraid that they are not.

9 hours ago, auxy said:

Honestly at this point in time if you're going to bother to change your target, I really think you should be moving up to at least AVX. AVX can offer a huge performance benefit on the PS4 and Xbox One if your application can make use of it; I'm sure you're probably using it there already? AVX is supported on processors all the way back to Sandy Bridge (2nd-gen Core family) and Bulldozer (AMD FX series); surely chips older than this barely run the game as it is. 

AVX is tricky - to get an actual performance benefit you have to convert the vast majority, or even all of your Code to run on AVX. due to the stock nature of basically all CPU's being to throttle when an AVX instruction passes through it, that means that passing an AVX Instruction from time to time will actually reduce overall performance, rather than raise it.
now, that stock behavior is certainly horrific, but out of the box configuration is how 99.9% of Users will be configured ofcourse, so for better or for worse we're stuck with assuming that is the behavior on all CPU's.
also doesn't help that the Instructions perform more work concurrently but also consume more Power and as a result elevate in Temperature - which for low end systems, the main subject here, are the most prone to potential Thermal problems of passing large amounts of AVX Instructions.

it also does behave much differently from traditional instructions, so there is a bit of setup cost anytime you want to call some while already running traditional Instructions.

• Like 2

Skylake, Coffee Lake, Cascade Lake-X, Comet Lake-S, Rocket Lake-S, Alder Lake, as well as the mobile Coffee Lake-H, Comet Lake-H, Tiger Lake-H, Alder lake.

The above generations appear to support at least one of the mentioned SSE instructions.

• Like 1

Since I will be affected by this with my 2007 release year intel before even the first SSE got relaased, I need some better source for checking which CPUs actually have those instructions, the way they wrote this means it needs everything up to the 4.2 and neither the wiki or intel's own site are super clear about CPUs that old.

Frankly i'll have to find a mobo, cpu, cooler and ram that is at least a core i7 somewhere, or my only option will be playing the mobile version with Xsave IF that comes out in time. And without keyboard and mouse that's is going to suck. No matter what, I will have to take my mission seriously so I can afford to make some much needed upgrades and be out of this Doomsday Clock scenario, as well as the doomsday that is gas getting cut off in europe.

That will be indeed a topic for a Neural Sensei video.

• Like 2

I have played Warframe for many years and reading this worries me, but I can understand why developers make this decision; it is difficult to optimize a game for computers with old components. Currently I can't upgrade to a more "newer" or "less old" CPU. I play with a Dual-Core 3.2Ghz E5800 from 2010, and although it is compatible with SSSE3 (according to this page: Intel Pentium E5800 Specs | TechPowerUp CPU Database ) it may not be able to play anymore Warframe for a long time. Thanks for the information.

Edited by Erlando21
  • Like 1

14 часов назад, Yrkul сказал:

Meanwhile, people are taking out loans to pay for groceries.

Nice timing, DE. I'm sure everyone on an old PC is able to buy a new one these days.

After all, they blocked donations in Russia and Belarus. Now they don’t have a dough, and so iron producers will share profits with DE.

Они ведь заблокировали донат в России, и Белоруси. Теперь у них бабла нет, а так производители железа с ДЕ прибылью поделятся.

Intel Xeon E5450 Harpetown 3,8 GHz - the game consistently holds more than 80 FPS, regardless of the location in which I am. Support for my processor is limited to SSE 4.1, but the moment for updating the computer is now completely inappropriate, and it is unknown whether it will be until 2023. In any case, thank you for an interesting game. When the processor support is over, I'll just go to another game where there are no such requirements for processor instructions, fortunately, there are enough such games.

• Like 2

My computer is more than 10 years old and still runs its first processor, which wasn't exactly the newest model at the time I bought it (i5-2500k). As far as I can see, I'm fine. Whether my computer will survive till this update hits, is a different question.

If you have a computer older than mine you can be happy that it still runs.

Edited by TurjanMi.ir
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, auxy said:

Honestly at this point in time if you're going to bother to change your target, I really think you should be moving up to at least AVX. AVX can offer a huge performance benefit on the PS4 and Xbox One if your application can make use of it; I'm sure you're probably using it there already? AVX is supported on processors all the way back to Sandy Bridge (2nd-gen Core family) and Bulldozer (AMD FX series); surely chips older than this barely run the game as it is.

SSE and AVX are both SIMD instructions (It's in the name; SSE). AVX is workload specific however due to its large register size. So it depends on how you push data through the system. You need to push a lot of data through the system to fill up the AVX registers (Or put another way, you need to push around really big chunks of data). SSE uses smaller register sizes, so they're easier to fill up in most cases (and so work fine for games).

But that being said, if perf. is the goal, and you are pushing lots of data, you're better off taking the read/copy hit and having the GPU run the numbers since they are designed to do it. There's a reason AVX hit a roadblock at 512 (the only use i personally know of is copying memory). At that scale, just let the GPU run the numbers. GPU's blow CPU's out of the water for SIMD, but it depends on what you're parallelizing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DhatZ said:

my only option will be playing the mobile version

So you can afford a console but not a 30$ cpu?

5 hours ago, T-13_ReconUnit said:

I'll just go to another game

You can't be serious. You act like buying literally 3 components which are barely younger than 10 years is going to cost you an arm. I really don't get it. If you can't afford 3x 30$ for cpu, mainboard and a stick of ram over the course of several months without starving how can you afford to even run your pc with current electricity prices? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, UmbraAtrox said:

You can't be serious. You act like buying literally 3 components which are barely younger than 10 years is going to cost you an arm. I really don't get it. If you can't afford 3x 30$ for cpu, mainboard and a stick of ram over the course of several months without starving how can you afford to even run your pc with current electricity prices? 

Yeah, is actually funny how everyone demand better graphics, newest technology like DX12 or DLSS and when DE annouce changes in minimum specs, everyone is crying because they playing on 15 years old hardware

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UmbraAtrox said:

I have cheap electricity and food. But the cost of electronics has jumped significantly, the old junk that you have for 30 bucks, we have 2-3 times more expensive. I have absolutely no desire to spend money on buying old junk for overprice.Of course, the PC needs to be updated, but the moment for this is absolutely not right. I will be happy to return to Warframe when the situation in the markets stabilizes, and until then there are quite enough games that do not require SSE 4.2

4 hours ago, Myscho said:

Yeah, is actually funny how everyone demand better graphics, newest technology like DX12 or DLSS and when DE annouce changes in minimum specs, everyone is crying because they playing on 15 years old hardware

Who are these "everyone"? i run warframe with maxed settings with full HD resolution. What better graphics SSE 4.2 can give me?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vincefeld said:

Hey DE. I understand what you are getting at, but could you wait for like... i dunno until this whole war and corona bullS#&$ is over?

Hardware prices isnt neccesarily been going down lately, or even stayed the same.

People got some more useful things to pay for rn, like gasbills etc.

Indeed. Moving forward is good, but now isn't the time. At least give people the opportunity to save up some cash.

• Like 3